• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

So I'm EVA outside my Connie and someone taps it making it spin out if control. By pure magic I'm able to get back inside and I have one of those holy shit moments. My ship is spinning out of control, I look out the window and everything is flipping everywhere, yet I'm able to walk around the interior of the ship as if it was landed.

Altima

Anyone can help me?

Have just try the game and I have logged in to Universe -> Crusader but I have no clue how to play the game from there.

Aselith

Anyone can help me?

Have just try the game and I have logged in to Universe -> Crusader but I have no clue how to play the game from there.

Look for a big conole with a globe and it has computers that let you spawn ships. Then you get in the ships and just fly man. Just fly.

Or, there's a training mode under the mani menu option Electronic Access > Arena Commander

Machina

Banned
I completed my first successful EVA mission a little while ago. The framerate needs a bit of work and EVA controls can feel fucking weird initially while you get your bearings, but the experience of literally landing your ship and then spacewalking is an amazing feeling, and I can't wait to play this game in VR. It will be an incredible experience.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can anyone point me to the free trial? I can't find it

You don't need to use a special form or code or anything - just sign up and the account will have access. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist
If they do more free flight periods in the future, the same account will get access again.

By the way, for existing players: we all have access to those three free flight ships during this time too (Aurora, Gladius and Mustang) in case you want to try them out.

Any idea when the "launch" will be? 2017?

So that I know to build a monster rig.

The first part of the single player campaign (Squadron 42) was announced for 2016. It's anyone's guess on the MMO side. I'd say 2017 would be the earliest initial launch if everything goes well.

Any idea when the "launch" will be? 2017?

So that I know to build a monster rig.
What exactly do we need for "launch"? Is just weird defining such a thing in a game like this because there's so many features and they will likely be gradually implemented until eventually we get what you'd call a launch but no update will feel that major compared to the last.

Given that development seems to be at full speed now and certain early hurdles have been cleared, I could see something resembling the initial vision in 2017 for sure.

Raticus79

Wasn't kidding about it being the FPS station, couldn't even get into the air lock without getting shot up by a dozen different people, I guess they just camp the entrance shooting anyone that enters lol.

Yeah, it's hilariously brutal at times. People like to hide their ships by the repair station and take out ships coming in for repairs too.

We could definitely use a lot more entrances to help prevent that.

I went to the two I could find and it was the same situation at both, I should have just turned around when I quantum traveled in and saw hundreds of laser shots and missiles flying around everywhere. A few extra entrances would be nice.

EDIT: It would be cool if you could vent the guys camping around the air locks into space.

Tic174

Right, I signed up. But how do I play? Where do I go? I clicked "fly now" and it took me to the purchase page.

Can you download it from here - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download ?

Wasn't kidding about it being the FPS station, couldn't even get into the air lock without getting shot up by a dozen different people, I guess they just camp the entrance shooting anyone that enters lol.

Yeah it can be pretty frustrating, but after a while I seem to be getting better at running away then coming back for them with a proper gun :D Also dont forget pressing h will heal you.

Altima

ok I just want to try FPS gameplay but controlling spaceship is really not for me. 90 minutes past and I still cannot land on the destination.

Rephin

Roughly how long should I expect to wait for this game to be in "1.0" status now or less? Is it targeting 2016?

Squadron 42, which is the single player "Wing Commander"-esque component, is targeting 2016. The really big Persistent Universe section... who knows. 2018 or 2019?

UltraJay

Added myself to the Org spreadsheet and submitted an application. I only have a Freelancer, I really need to get at least one fighter.

Anybody playing in Australia? How are the servers or instances from here? Are there any Aus servers?

Raticus79

Added myself to the Org spreadsheet and submitted an application. I only have a Freelancer, I really need to get at least one fighter.

Anybody playing in Australia? How are the servers or instances from here? Are there any Aus servers?

Ok, done. Freelancers seem like they might be able to hold their own well enough actually - hopefully they get them flyable soon.

No AUS servers yet unfortunately. It was one of the stretch goals though, so there should be some eventually. https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...6/concern-with-australian-server-availability

fresquito

Wow, performance is all over the place. I'm around 20fps, no matter what graphical setting I set. What kind of joke is this? I know I don't have the best hardware out there, but it ain't so bad: gtx770 4gb+4770K should be giving me better performance, i think. More so when I'm in a tiny closed room!

Then I try to enter my ship and I go through the roof, lol. Game seems more broken than ever.

Wow, performance is all over the place. I'm around 20fps, no matter what graphical setting I set. What kind of joke is this? I know I don't have the best hardware out there, but it ain't so bad: gtx770 4gb+4770K should be giving me better performance, i think. More so when I'm in a tiny closed room!

Then I try to enter my ship and I go through the roof, lol. Game seems more broken than ever.

I know dude it's crazy, you would think the game was in alpha state with how it performs.

fresquito

I know dude it's crazy, you would think the game was in alpha state with how it performs.
Yo dude, I know it is alpha an all, but I was getting 55fps at very high settings before. I've read about it and it seems it's a server side problem. Well, I hope they fix it fast enough, as it is now, it's totally unplayable.

Raticus79

Yo dude, I know it is alpha an all, but I was getting 55fps at very high settings before. I've read about it and it seems it's a server side problem. Well, I hope they fix it fast enough, as it is now, it's totally unplayable.

Yeah, I hope so too. Performance is fine in the other modes, it just gets bogged down in Crusader once enough stuff has spawned. Seems like the client frame rate is limited to whatever the server is able to sustain (keeping things in sync?). You can actually get 60 fps in the PU for a while if you happen to be one of the first ones on a fresh server session.

Shy

*looks in the 100 mill thread and sighs*
TrEYj0j.gif

Machina

Banned
ok I just want to try FPS gameplay but controlling spaceship is really not for me. 90 minutes past and I still cannot land on the destination.

If you're having trouble with Kb/M, grab a 360 controller then get to know the controls. it is far easier. For me, landing involves holding the left trigger then gently pressing down on the right stick until my ship touches down.

Tic174

If you're having trouble with Kb/M, grab a 360 controller then get to know the controls. it is far easier. For me, landing involves holding the left trigger then gently pressing down on the right stick until my ship touches down.

Theres also autopilot, im not sure how to do it on controller, but on KB/M:-
Look at the pad you want to land on.
Press "n" to activate landing mode.
Press "g" to highlight the pad in front of you.
Press middle mouse button to ask for clearance.
Press "m" to activate autopilot and then move towards the pad and it should land you automatically.

AngerdX

Just had a nice little session, until i accidently decoupled while going around an asteroid after getting ambushed by pirates, slide and BOOM, glourious explosion but CTD, no matter better get back to it, also realised i can´t fly without voiceattack, just so many things i use it for that i actually don´t know the full controls on either pad or kb/m.

hehe

Is it a coincidence that Brute Force was made by Digital Anvil? I THINK NOT.

Yeah, just a visual bug atm (m50 suffers from this too). Before 2.0.0 live it was actually missing its landing gear as well.

What is this? Turned into a joke but no tag in sight? I demand a recount!

Attem

I went to the ICC station and got given some coordinates to search for something, when my Quantum Travel disengaged I was in large asteroid field with not much around, i thought i may have jumped to the wrong place initially but decided to have a look around.

Big rocks and more big rocks wasn't really much to see and I was about to jump to somewhere else but I could hear a beeping sound getting more frequent and louder the closer I got to the middle of the asteroid field, I eventually found a wrecked ship.
http://i.imgur.com/MQ8uEL8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PXsqEEh.jpg

I wasn't too keen to stick around and meet the same fate but I really wanted to know what the beeping noise was.
http://i.imgur.com/Uu7lyo1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Uk9VuBP.jpg

A Flight recorder saying do not open.... yeah... After listening to the recording I discovered that this ship had been ambushed leaving them no time to activate their shields. I decided now was the time to leave, I didn't want someone listening to my own flight recording.

As I enter my ship I can hear warnings of a collision alert, thinking it must be a small asteroid moving towards me as my ship is stationary, I couldn't have been more wrong.

I pick a ship up on my scanner.
http://i.imgur.com/eq5tAXE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mQijZNd.jpg
He starts hurtling towards me firing lasers towards me and my shields are quickly shredded.

My ship is fast I think to myself I'll just jump somewhere quick, I'm out gunned and my shields are no more its time to go...
http://i.imgur.com/xLv2CSm.jpg
... and respawn another ship.

tuxfool

Banned

Heh. I managed to sneak in, found 3 or 4 people in there wandering around. Murdered them all, went outside assaulted a guy exiting his ship. I took his ship and then decided to do some missions with it.

Then somebody flying my Gladius came along and destroyed my stolen ship. I then leave the comm station and promptly get murdered by someone with an arclight.

So is there any info on a new patching system coming anytime soon? :( I tried the free week and liked what I played now so I would like to eventually buy myself access but the patching system makes me legit not want to. I have quite the weak internet connection (1.3mb/s down, 90kb/s up) and since it's a P2P based system it quite literally blocking off internet access for everyone else I live with for 7 1/2 hours. I know there is a way to download via HTTP but that's also not ideal since it means I can't close the patcher as else all download-progress will be lost. On top of that even when pausing the download the patcher application still draws 20-30% CPU utilization which means I can't even properly play other games while Star Citizen is downloading :/

Sorry if I seem like ranting, I fully understand that the game is in Alpha and the developers must have better things to do than to care for the patcher though I'm quite a bit bummed after I read this thread saying I could try out the 2.0 version for free as well. I was super happy and excited only to fire-up the patcher and seeing it having to download 30gb again. I mean it can't surely have to replace ALL the files of the previous 30gb I downloaded can it?

I don't understand why Cloud Imperium Games can't atleast offer old-school HTTP links in parts as an alternative till they sorted the patching system out. I searched around and apparently this was once the case but doesn't work anymore :(

Got a chance to plug in my flight stick and laoded in my previous XML file.....Go to change flight mode and start a one button cascade of QDrive active--Q Drive launch- flares- eject. So I'm treated to watch as my Avenger folds space time shitting flares as I grip the ejector seat flying away.

Looks I need to remap the controls from scratch.

Anyone know if I can change my ship weapon loadout?

tuxfool

Banned
So is there any info on a new patching system coming anytime soon?

Working on it:

We’ve been working on trybuild, we have the waf now in for our game-dev branch. Once we move Transformer to use waf, trybuild can be enforced and which will be more efficient for builds, at least from a code point of view.

Been working on feature testing automation, still a few issues to iron out, mainly due to builds being made in ATX and tests running here in DE. It’s 90 % done. Chris Speak, our Senior QA, put together a simple feature test map against which I can easily run the py tool I wrote some time ago to drive the test.

Been helping the ATX guys who have been working on optimizing the assets job. In particular the idea is to break the huge assets job into smaller jobs, one per pak, that can then be assigned to multiple agents and run at the same time. This will also allow us to write our own paker instead of using RC for paking. All the above was sided by the usual troubleshooting, mainly due to a couple tools that went in recently and made their way into the build system
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15105-Monthly-Studio-Report

jaaz

You can actually get 60 fps in the PU for a while if you happen to be one of the first ones on a fresh server session.

Yep, this has happened to me twice. Jumped into a newly booted or launched server (I can tell its new or rebooted because I step out of my habitat and everyone is running to the ship call terminals), and got 60+ FPS, only limited by the V-sync (which you cans turn off from the console, but no reason to do it now). As the server filled up, it progressively dropped to the usual ~20 FPS.

I also do not have a monster rig. Playing on an i7-2600 @ 3.9, 8g DDR3 ram, and a GTX 980. Building new computer because, well, this game...

Top Bottom