• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront II is written by Walt Williams (Spec Ops) and Mitch Dyer (IGN)

Keasar

Battlefront isn't known for SP campaigns so they can do whatever they want in it really. I also don't think that doing Star Wars: The Line is the proper way to create a good story.

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting yet another story similar to Spec Ops. The writer isn't likely to go down that route yet again, especially with a Star Wars game.

I know, I shouldn't expect it.

But it would just be a lot more interesting if it was about a Imperial soldier after being a hardcore as fuck Empire follower to go:
8ubGFLt.gif

I know that guy-who-I-forgot-his-name-but-was-in-the-latest-Star-Wars-movie left the Empire but he never seemed into it anyway and was already on shaky grounds. This person teased in the campaign have already in the trailer been going "Impossible!" at the Death Star exploding (even though this is the second time a Death Star explodes so who is fucking surprised at this point?) and "WE WILL AVENGE OUR EMPEROR!!!!!11" so clearly she is deep down that rabbit hole of fanaticism.

Anything really to shake up the usual boring PG-13 Star Wars story. Knights of the Old Republic 2 is so far the only Star Wars media I remember where they actually started to ask questions regarding this whole light vs. dark thing, who is actually evil, who is actually good, does shooting lightning with your fingers really make you a bad person even though you could potentially only be aiming those fingers at actually awful people and not at just newborn babies as the usual Sith characters?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Empire OPs : The Line? I'm in. I imagine the project is still pretty focused in terms of scope though, I'm be surprised if there's a lot of freedom for the writing team. I'd love for this to turn into something memorable though

Actually thought Spec Ops was incredibly overrated, so I'm still maintaining skepticism, especially after BF1's incredibly half-baked campaigns

Ennosuke

I also think that Spec Ops was overrated, but I am very excited for the Battlefront SP campaign. We need more Star Wars Stories in Videogames! It looks interesting so far and especially important is the fact, that it will be canon.

The gameplay, yes. But the writing was good and this has the same writer, not devs. Nor doed it have the BF devs on SP.

Probably the only reason why Spec Ops was able to achieve what it set out to do was because it had a dedicated development team willing to make such an obscure game.

I doubt you'll anything special with DICE at the helm. They have basically given up on making good single play campaigns a long time ago. They just use the single player stuff they create for marketing buzz and trailer footage. It's safer to make a lame 5 hour overly scripted campaign instead of having no campaign at all. The latter just generates controversy and you'll get the usual suspects complaining about the game being over priced and such.

Alexious

Probably the only reason why Spec Ops was able to achieve what it set out to do was because it had a dedicated development team willing to make such an obscure game.

I doubt you'll anything special with DICE at the helm. They have basically given up on making good single play campaigns a long time ago. They just use the single player stuff they create for marketing buzz and trailer footage. It's safer to make a lame 5 hour overly scripted campaign instead of having no campaign at all. The latter just generates controversy and you'll get the usual suspects complaining about the game being over priced and such.

Again, it looks like DICE barely has anything to do with the campaign in Battlefront II. EA Motive is making it.

Striek

I thought the gun play was fun...

It was. It was really quite good. The game if anything is underrated, because people dismiss it outside the writing. But the graphics were good, the squad AI was good, the gunplay was good, the encounter design was good. It was just a good game that deserved far more success.

Zakalwe

Banned
You do realise that many writers were something else before they were writers, right?

Looking forward to this, a Battlefront with a good story mode would be a lot of fun.

I know, I shouldn't expect it.

But it would just be a lot more interesting if it was about a Imperial soldier after being a hardcore as fuck Empire follower to go:
8ubGFLt.gif

Considering that the Empire is always shown as the evil side, this actually sounds rather run-of-the-mill, especially for a main character. A devoted Imperial soldier who continues to serve for some reasonable reasons or a Republic soldier that has seen enough war that he begins to ask "are we the baddies" feel like the less-trodden path.

I haven't played Spec Ops: The Line, but I assume the narrative there is effective partly because the main character is on the side that's traditionally depicted to be heroic.

mcz117chief

Considering that the Empire is always shown as the evil side

Not really. As far as I can recall the Empire was depicted as the peacemaker and the rebels as the terrorists fighting to make everyone's life worse in Tie-Fighter.

Spec Ops: The Line was ok. The gameplay was ok and the story was ok, a decent 6/10 game. The "welcome to Dubai" line at the end is amazing though.

I really hope the campaign isn't just tiny scenarios like Battlefield 1. That could have been really cool if it was fleshed out but a bunch of 45 minute campaigns come off nearly pointless.

I still think about Spec Ops all the time, to this day. This game definitely has my attention now. I don't expect Walt to go down the same road, but I am eager to see what kind of range he has.

*Shrug* Hopefully Spec ops (which was a sp shooter first) is the direction they're going with this, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Still expecting 4 to 6 hours of dull shootbang. There's potential for sure though.

Bring your guns to E3.

Sulik2

Putting the guy who wrote specs ops with a giant star wars nerd is actually a great idea for how to get a great writer's ideas into the Star Wars universe. I always liked Mitch on RebelFM glad he is getting to work on a Star Wars game.

Toa TAK

Banned
I enjoyed the way it was all little stories around the conflict. A lot better than a campaign that would have had us dit in a trench for days and days at a time.
>_>

I thought we were past this.

And for what it's worth, BF1's campaign, being an anthology of WWI stories was a great idea, it was just that each one was horrifically mediocre in both gameplay and story.

b0bbyJ03

should be interesting for Mitch to go from critiquing high profile games to writing one and being critiqued. i hope this turns out great.

Fuchsdh

Didn't really care for Spec Ops (aside from the twist, I didn't like much else) but I still think this bodes quite well for the game.

I give Spec Ops credit for doing a story that's rarely done in games and doing a lot within the game to tie into that. I agree it was still a flawed game that was a chore to get through, its themes put aside. But I do think that it'd be great to get more variety in the types of war stories we get. The original Battlefront II taking the perspective of a veteran clone trooper was one of the reasons it always stuck with me because it wasn't all about the good guys, so I'm hopeful this game mines some of the same territory for something fresh.

Considering that the Empire is always shown as the evil side, this actually sounds rather run-of-the-mill, especially for a main character. A devoted Imperial soldier who continues to serve for some reasonable reasons or a Republic soldier that has seen enough war that he begins to ask "are we the baddies" feel like the less-trodden path.

I haven't played Spec Ops: The Line, but I assume the narrative there is effective partly because the main character is on the side that's traditionally depicted to be heroic.

Yeah. Honestly I've always been disappointed that any of the myriad WWII games have never had real German campaigns, because it's easy to be gung-ho about being on the "good" and winning side, but there's an opportunity for a lot more interesting questions if you have to sympathize or even identify with the bad guys.

The element that I think the prequels were right to introduce (even though yes, Lucas botched the hell out of it) was the idea that the galaxy was spiraling out of control and a vacuum for strong authoritarian leader to step in was necessary or even wanted. That aspect of the empire is what interests me and I think doing a story about that would have some added resonance to current events.

XAL

So what's the deal with Mitch Dyer?

I didn't follow IGN or follow reviews much at all, but a few of my friends absolutely HATE the guy and said his reviews were garbage and that his inclusion as a writer on Battlefront II made them not want to buy the game at all.

I read his Battlefield 4 review and found it fair aside from some mildly flowery/pompous language when criticizing the single player's story.

So what's the deal with him as a journo/writer?

styl3s

To everyone hating on Mitch because of IGN: You know Rogue One was written by a guy who used to write for PC Gamer, right?
Garry was also an established writer before Rogue One and that film also went through multiple changes and drafts what has Mitch done? I don't hate Mitch or IGN but at least going into Rogue One we had well established writers like a Chris Weitz, Tony Gilroy and Gary Whitta (say what you want about the shitty Will Smith movie his work on Telltale Walking Dead and Book of Eli were great) and a fantastic director Gareth Edwards.

With this we have the guy who did Spec Ops which was ok, fine but not THAT original or amazing and a IGN reviewer.

Top Bottom