• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

Wait, you coming back to the game? No way!

Wait..wha?! Trevin took a break? If so, damn! Trevin has always been the eternal optimist when it came to the game, much more level headed with the changes (or lack of them) than most everyone else in officer chat when I was in guild. What made you take a break?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wait..wha?! Trevin took a break? If so, damn! Trevin has always been the eternal optimist when it came to the game, much more level headed with the changes (or lack of them) than most everyone else in officer chat when I was in guild. What made you take a break?

Guessing diablo 3.

Alur

Truth. I played it for about a week...just couldn't stick with it when I knew it'd be there for years and I could do it whenever. I've swapped to TERA myself, on top of my Fatman excursion (until transfers at least).

Milly79

Truth. I played it for about a week...just couldn't stick with it when I knew it'd be there for years and I could do it whenever. I've swapped to TERA myself, on top of my Fatman excursion (until transfers at least).

Diablo it was. I was the same way with D3!

Really looking forward to getting HK-51.

Just read an interview on Darth hater with daniel eric-something and theres a dirty rumour that he mentions you will"probably" need a level 50 imperial AND a level 50 republic character on the same server to unlock the HK-51 companion.

In other words Milly we need to get cracking!

Milly79

Cystm

I'm 8 levels away from 50 on my PUB toon, but my characters are presently on different servers....

Am I most likely fucked?

I'm 8 levels away from 50 on my PUB toon, but my characters are presently on different servers....

Am I most likely fucked?

I doubt it will recognise the fact you have a 50 on each side unless they are on the same server, you could always transfer one next week to the others server if you wanted.

How many credits do the passive xp bonuses cost? Are they cross-character?

The first level costs like 20k, then 30k, 40, 50, 100.

The exploration XP bonus costs less per level as you dont get much XP this way anyway.

Its not cross character, its separate per character so going to be expensive if you have loads of alts and want the bonuses.

I see from the preview videos of 1.3 from the PTS that the sprint Celerity bonuses have been removed, was quite looking forward to being able to run around faster.

My sentinel is only about level 26. Guess I'll have to speed her through the class story.

I think we will have 2 or 3 weeks till 1.3 hits the live servers so no real rush.

HBroward

Wait, you coming back to the game? No way!

Yeah, I've been trying to make a small dent in my backlog before getting back into it. I'll probably play a bunch this weekend. Also, that article you linked says I can't sit on the wall and snipe in Alderaan anymore. :( That makes me sad.

Indeed, Diablo 3 grabbed me, and I was just waiting for news on 1.3's release. I had played so much I was kind of burnt out, but I've had several weeks away now, so I'm looking forward to coming back.

Just read an interview on Darth hater with daniel eric-something and theres a dirty rumour that he mentions you will"probably" need a level 50 imperial AND a level 50 republic character on the same server to unlock the HK-51 companion.

In other words Milly we need to get cracking!

And that seals it, I'll be grinding up a pub alt it looks like.

Yeah, I've been trying to make a small dent in my backlog before getting back into it. I'll probably play a bunch this weekend. Also, that article you linked says I can't sit on the wall and snipe in Alderaan anymore. :( That makes me sad.

Indeed, Diablo 3 grabbed me, and I was just waiting for news on 1.3's release. I had played so much I was kind of burnt out, but I've had several weeks away now, so I'm looking forward to coming back.

And that seals it, I'll be grinding up a pub alt it looks like.

It will be good to have you back, me Milly and Camlost have jumped into a new guild together and they are pretty good, always need more people tho and im sure they will be happy to have yet another sniper :p

It will be interesting to see how HK 51 is unlocked, can't see it being based on legacy level as thats a bit too simple, maybe some kind of quest where you have to see both sides of it to fully complete it or something?

Edit: Seems it is a mission, says when you unlock him once he becomes a legacy unlock and you can get him early on your other characters.

Milly79

LeLQy.jpg

And wow, we can use crossbows as Snipers now. Must get.

HBroward

It will be good to have you back, me Milly and Camlost have jumped into a new guild together and they are pretty good, always need more people tho and im sure they will be happy to have yet another sniper :p

It will be interesting to see how HK 51 is unlocked, can't see it being based on legacy level as thats a bit too simple, maybe some kind of quest where you have to see both sides of it to fully complete it or something?

Edit: Seems it is a mission, says when you unlock him once he becomes a legacy unlock and you can get him early on your other characters.

Yeah, I'l join you guys for sure. In regards to HK, there had been a rumor some months ago that it would require having done all the bonus series on both factions to begin the quest line. So that may be why it says it requires a level 50 from both sides.

It's apparently refer a friend + them subbing for a month. I think I'll be getting that!

Unless it's not retroactive, then I'm screwed.

Wait, that new mount is only from that? And crossbows? WTF? Where did you read this?

And transfers begin June 12th??? So according to that, some of you with alts on Fatman may not be able to transfer them during this first phase. And it may cost you money when you can transfer them. That really sucks. Sorry if this is all old info.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

The must get a level 50 on both factions to get HK-51 is actually a pretty clever way to address faction imbalance. Forcing people to roll characters on both sides.

Francois424

Neo Member
We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

Well, for my friends and I it appears "These aren't the transfers you are looking for... Move Along!"

That really sucks, then again it just goes to prove we didn't go wrong in deciding to suspend our accounts until September. Maybe then the real thing will be there. I also hope they dont charge 15$ for each friggin character you transfer, and instead go with the FF11 approach (you can transfer as much as you want, and from anywhere, to one destination server in one swoop).

But somehow I don't think it's gonna work like that.
Slowly but surely, this game eroded away all my confidence for their management.

Alur

Gonna be interesting fielding 8 man teams again now that a lot of players are gone from PVP everywhere. If you take the xfer, who knows how many go with you...obviously you'll eventually get to know new folks to queue with, but there'll be an adjustment period. If you don't, you're even worse off.

I've been a part of about 7 or 8 hypothetical ranked WZ teams, and out of those teams maybe 7 total of those people still log in currently...granted there is some overlap on those hypothetical teams, but still. It will be an interesting atmosphere. Maybe it will encourage people getting outside their circles more by necessity.

So I got this game, played for a month, and didn't re-up because I really had no one to play with. I'm thinking of re-subbing and trying again. Maybe actually try to find a community this time.

When I played, there were some really great story/single player moments (one of the reasons I want to re-sub is to finish my Sith Warrior's story), but the MMO aspect was kind of lacking. It felt kinda like a single player game with tons of padding and other people occasionally running around. Has that changed at all?

Draxal

So I got this game, played for a month, and didn't re-up because I really had no one to play with. I'm thinking of re-subbing and trying again. Maybe actually try to find a community this time.

When I played, there were some really great story/single player moments (one of the reasons I want to re-sub is to finish my Sith Warrior's story), but the MMO aspect was kind of lacking. It felt kinda like a single player game with tons of padding and other people occasionally running around. Has that changed at all?

1-49 you can level solo, with occasional group content (either being heroics/flashpoints/warzones). The mmo stuff was there, but you had to search for it and sometimes you wouldn't be able to find it due to the server.

At 50, the end game is pretty much dependent on group content (flashpoints/operations/warzones), with very little to do solo player that was used to in the first 50 levels (boring dailies replace solo content).

In order, to feel the mmoness you had to search for group content, but due to low server populations and lack of need it for sub 50, it was hard to find. At 50 it is still somewhat hard to find, but with the upcoming server transfers/group finder it should be easier.

Zafir

Gonna be interesting fielding 8 man teams again now that a lot of players are gone from PVP everywhere. If you take the xfer, who knows how many go with you...obviously you'll eventually get to know new folks to queue with, but there'll be an adjustment period. If you don't, you're even worse off.

I've been a part of about 7 or 8 hypothetical ranked WZ teams, and out of those teams maybe 7 total of those people still log in currently...granted there is some overlap on those hypothetical teams, but still. It will be an interesting atmosphere. Maybe it will encourage people getting outside their circles more by necessity.
On my server it's honestly going to be the same two guilds fighting each other over and over. Each side has one big pvp guild, and numerous smaller ones. I suppose the smaller ones might be able to team up to get a full group, but, it isn't going to be easy to organise.

CzarTim

On my server it's honestly going to be the same two guilds fighting each other over and over. Each side has one big pvp guild, and numerous smaller ones. I suppose the smaller ones might be able to team up to get a full group, but, it isn't going to be easy to organise.
Transfers starting next week :)

Alur

Yeah, depends how many people transfer though, and whether they're any good.

The more baddies that come over the better, in my opinion lol. That's been my favorite part of The Fatman; instead of constant games where you either destroy or get destroyed due to your comp (which will be ranked in a nutshell, minus having the 1 or 2 baddies on your team you get stuck with currently), you actually have players who aren't amazing or are just learning to play.

Lots more variety in games, and your individual effort means even more than it does in the previous scenario due to the outcome not being pre-ordained.

Costs for the 2 new pets is a bit steep, 3000 PVP comms and Valor rank 70.

Think i've downloaded over 15 gig for the PTS and its still got more to go...

mainframe

Neo Member
So Couple questions,

1. When available, Will server transfer's have a fee?

2. in 1.3 i heard there was talks of able to buy XP boost with credits? is that correct?

Thank you,

Tarazet

I disagree for 2 reasons.

1 - I always run out of energy unless I'm specifically not using all my most powerful skills as often as I can.
2 - The fact they added that buff to our top marksman skill tree means it's a problem that needed to addressed.

Using speed shot 3 times in a row had it uses in PVE but I didn't use it often in PVP because it's 9 seconds of casting and I'm not always in a situation where I'm able to cast for that long without having to either change targets, move to another position or use a different skill due to what's happening at that moment.

If you're running out of energy as a Marksman sniper, you're simply not using the correct rotation. It's not about always using the biggest attacks - I'm thinking of Corrosive Dart, Orbital Strike/XS Flyby and Explosive Probe as particularly bad energy sinks, which you should only use in rare situations unless you have the points in the trees to buff them. If I try to weave those attacks into my rotation, I will usually run out of energy. If I stick to Snipe/Followthrough, Series of Shots to proc a short Ambush, then Rapid Fire and Series of Shots until Followthrough and Ambush are back up, I have very high sustained DPS and can maintain the rotation indefinitely without running out of energy and without ever using my auto-attack. The change to Sniper Volley and Rapid Fire will hurt my output, plain and simple.

So Couple questions,

1. When available, Will server transfer's have a fee?

2. in 1.3 i heard there was talks of able to buy XP boost with credits? is that correct?

Thank you,

1. Beleive they will be free but you will only be able to move from certain selected servers to selected destination servers at first.

2. Yes you can buy certain XP boosts for certain activities through legacy (class quest, PVP, space, exploration Xp boosts)

Those patch notes, lol. I'm glad so many people complained about sniper being weak. All these freebies, we don't even need the buffs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Requiring a level 50 of both factions for HK companion guarantees that I won't be coming back to the game. Oh well.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If you're running out of energy as a Marksman sniper, you're simply not using the correct rotation. It's not about always using the biggest attacks - I'm thinking of Corrosive Dart, Orbital Strike/XS Flyby and Explosive Probe as particularly bad energy sinks, which you should only use in rare situations unless you have the points in the trees to buff them. If I try to weave those attacks into my rotation, I will usually run out of energy. If I stick to Snipe/Followthrough, Series of Shots to proc a short Ambush, then Rapid Fire and Series of Shots until Followthrough and Ambush are back up, I have very high sustained DPS and can maintain the rotation indefinitely without running out of energy and without ever using my auto-attack. The change to Sniper Volley and Rapid Fire will hurt my output, plain and simple.

So don't use all your highest damage abilities often and you won't run out of energy? You don't see that as a problem? I never said you couldn't manage your energy, but doing so comes at the expense of DPS.

You can see what the devs had to say about the changes here.

Requiring a level 50 of both factions for HK companion guarantees that I won't be coming back to the game. Oh well.

I don't believe they said you needed a 50 of both factions, just that you would need both. That's not to say you won't but I don't think they've said that specifically.

In this interview from E3 all he says is you'll have to have "some chops" on both sides. That's pretty vague.

Top Bottom