• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Still sitting on 2x gold armor packs that I'm trying to dump for 8-10 mil each, but no one is biting so far. Figure I can wait the long wait since no one else seems to be selling and they are embargoed. I'm tempted to open them, but I know I'd just get some trash set worth 500k lol.

According to leaks from the PTS build, megaservers are coming with separate PVP and PVE instances. Not sure how it will work with the 3 geographical server farm locations but it's about time. Was on primetime AUSPAC time a couple of days ago and there was <70 on pub fleet on Harbinger.

According to leaks from the PTS build, megaservers are coming with separate PVP and PVE instances. Not sure how it will work with the 3 geographical server farm locations but it's about time. Was on primetime AUSPAC time a couple of days ago and there was <70 on pub fleet on Harbinger.
Excited that we're finally getting something done about this. I wonder how they're going to handle names though.

liezryou

So i just started this game and subscribed. I haven't used anyone's referral code yet. Someone in game said if i do i get a bunch of goodies and a free level 60. Anyway, does anyone want to send me their referral code so i can get that stuff?

bndadm

So I toyed a bit with PVP both war zone and starfighter. As a Trooper at level 42 I didn't think I could do much, but I really want those achievments. It's pretty much impossible for those MVP achievements isn't it?

Still kind of had fun, though I don't stand a chance in 4 on 4.
Is it pretty much a requirement to be a Jedi or sith to hold my own?

Moff

So I toyed a bit with PVP both war zone and starfighter. As a Trooper at level 42 I didn't think I could do much, but I really want those achievments. It's pretty much impossible for those MVP achievements isn't it?

well in starfighter your level and class don't matter at all and in warzones I never felt that the force classes would be a lot better than the others, so no.

Giolon

While I haven't played since the Fallen Empire overhaul, this has never been true in the past. All classes have been OP at one time or another, but overall you can perform well in PvP with any class. You likely got destroyed because you're only level 42 and new at the game.

bndadm

While I haven't played since the Fallen Empire overhaul, this has never been true in the past. All classes have been OP at one time or another, but overall you can perform well in PvP with any class. You likely got destroyed because you're only level 42 and new at the game.

Thank you. I will continue and see how my skills improve.

SRTtoZ

hey guys, I'm thinking about resubbing but I have a question. I remember they did the 12x XP thing so you could skip all of the shitty sidequests, and I'm reading that they did some sort of 'streamlined' leveling since KOTFE came out, do I still have to do tons of sidequests to be the proper level or is it more like the 12xp days? Thanks

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
hey guys, I'm thinking about resubbing but I have a question. I remember they did the 12x XP thing so you could skip all of the shitty sidequests, and I'm reading that they did some sort of 'streamlined' leveling since KOTFE came out, do I still have to do tons of sidequests to be the proper level or is it more like the 12xp days? Thanks

It's not quite 12x where you only had to do your class quest but it's close. If you're just questing you only need to do your class quests and the main planet story arcs.

SRTtoZ

It's not quite 12x where you only had to do your class quest but it's close. If you're just questing you only need to do your class quests and the main planet story arcs.

Sweet man thanks. Gonna let it DL overnight and try my hand tomorrow. Any tips on fun healing classes? I've tried low level Scoundrel and Commando before, are they both in good places? PVE wise*

bndadm

So today, with much hesitation, I opted to join in on one the Taris World Bosses with a group (Commando Combat Medic). I advised everyone I was a rookie at it but would focus on heals. We completed it and everyone was very nice (no one was incapacitated).

In addition last night some random player wanted to Group with me to do missions (I did, again with hesitation). We had a great time.

For someone who is mostly solo in MMORPG's because I always worry about letting a group/team down, the experiences of this weekend have been awesome and kind and have made me more open to Grouping again in the future.

A side note though - is there a quick way to find a location of a player I'm grouped with if they are in another part of the map/planet? Took me a little bit to meet up again with the person I was grouping with.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
decided to cancel my sub and just come back in August when the story is wrapped up, too many games to play these days man

*doto
*csgo
*PoE expac
*The Division
*4 fire emblems

TOO MUCH

liezryou

decided to cancel my sub and just come back in August when the story is wrapped up, too many games to play these days man

*doto
*csgo
*PoE expac
*The Division
*4 fire emblems

TOO MUCH

As soon as i get my 3DS back im gunna go crazy on those fire emblem games.

I just finished story on my first toon yay (sith inquisitor)! Before i move on to the next chapter i wonder if anyone could recommend me a good sink of my common data crystals? I'm nearly at max and need to spend some or else the next few quests will push them over.

Scouring the net I've seen several people recommend the following:
Alliance Boxes (where the hell do i get these and what do they contain)
Level 65 Equipment (not 65 yet)
Companion Gifts (Ugh the companion system irks me because i have 25 influence with khem'val because i got him first and like 7-8 influence with the rest because i got them so late in the story. So this may be an option because i really like ashara but i am pure dark)

Any help would be greatly welcome.

The Eternal Championship is delayed along with acquiring Bowdaar.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8847004#edit8847004

Eric Musco said:
Hey folks,

We have been doing a lot of internal playtesting on the Eternal Championship and it is currently not at a level that we believe our players deserve. In keeping with our commitment to offer the highest quality experience possible with our latest expansion, we have decided to delay the launch of the Eternal Championship. We are focusing on overall balance, ensuring each boss fight is challenging, endeavoring to exceed quality expectations, and most of all, making sure it is a fun experience. Please note Bowdaar will also be delayed, but will continue to launch alongside the Eternal Championship.

To help ensure we deliver on the deeper experience we promised, we have decided to make the Eternal Championship available on our Public Test Server (PTS) prior to releasing it. We are eager to make this feature as high quality as possible and would love to get your feedback as we work to strengthen it. Once we nail down the release schedule we will let you know how to get access on PTS.

I will provide more information as I have it; our goal is to have more information in the next 4-6 weeks. Thank you.

-eric
So there will be no new alliance alert for an additional companion for this month's chapter besides Aric Jorgan.

So the new chapter was okay... felt really short though. It was kinda worth it for the hilarious super serious cinematic intros to Aric where it bugged and he had nothing on but boxer briefs, but I think I will wait for the rest of the chapters to accumulate and cancel my sub for now. There just isn't enough to keep me interested. If I knew that building up rep for the four contacts in Odessen was going to be worthwhile for story content or something then maybe I'd do a bit of that, but it doesn't seem like there is.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
When did they add new cantina music? There's like singing and everything.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm interested into getting into the game and want to know a few things.

1. Each character seems to have a special storyline. Do these continue on into the expansions? Or do they all start to merge, where its only worth while to maybe do a Rebel or Imperial.
2. I'm mostly focused on just experiencing the story. So I'll probably play through most of the characters and move on from there. Should I get the game time right away or wait on it? Since I do believe the expansions are things I still need to pay for. Right now, I'm thinking of just playing through the OG story lines, then getting the game for summer.

Basically, I'm trying to align it where I can finish the latest expansion with my gametime so once Fallen Empire is complete. Or is it already?

Moff

I'm interested into getting into the game and want to know a few things.

1. Each character seems to have a special storyline. Do these continue on into the expansions? Or do they all start to merge, where its only worth while to maybe do a Rebel or Imperial.

you got that right, they start to merge.
up until level 50, every class has its own storyline, it is pretty much finished, though.
in the first expansion, rise of the hutt cartel, there is one story for imperial and 1 for the republic.
in the second expansion, shadow of revan, both imperials and republic get the same story, but there is 1 single story quest exclusive to each class
and in the third expansion, knights of the fallen empire, every player gets the same story, however it has a bigger focus on story and cutscenes and there are more choices and consequences

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
you got that right, they start to merge.
up until level 50, every class has its own storyline, it is pretty much finished, though.
in the first expansion, rise of the hutt cartel, there is one story for imperial and 1 for the republic.
in the second expansion, shadow of revan, both imperials and republic get the same story, but there is 1 single story quest exclusive to each class
and in the third expansion, knights of the fallen empire, every player gets the same story, however it has a bigger focus on story and cutscenes and there are more choices and consequences
So I'm thinking I'll probably just play for free to go through the class stories, then eventually settle on one character, pay for a few months to do Hutt Cartel, Revan, and Fallen Empire. Good idea?

Or does paying to play make it easier to complete the stories too?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I'm thinking I'll probably just play for free to go through the class stories, then eventually settle on one character, pay for a few months to do Hutt Cartel, Revan, and Fallen Empire. Good idea?

Or does paying to play make it easier to complete the stories too?

I would pay 5 bucks for preferred status (just but some cartel coins and it will activate preferred) for all the convenience perks. Also if you sub for a month and cancel you get access to all expansions forever even if your sub lapses.

I normally play through the class stories when I dont wanna sub, hell i have done 6/8 of the class stories that way.

JonCha

So I've been playing this alone and as a Jedi Knight and enjoying it a lot. I was wondering if there is a GAF guild or, going to the activity on this OT, there isn't on/it's dead?

So patch 4.3 has some interesting new features.

Some of note:
Guilds can now have up to 1000 members (up from 500).

Players can now add a single space in their character name, e.g. “John Smith.”

Dark Matter Catalysts can now be purchased from the Smuggled Supplies Vendor on Odessen.

Some really handy guild features, too.

I really like that Bioware is actually trying to make gearing easier, with the DMC purchasing thing. I've got tons of comms across all my character since comm gear is shit, so this is greatly appreciated.

StudioTan

The new chapter is really good in terms of story and scenery.

Rokam

The more I play the more I really want another Republic Commandos game... I really hope that Imperial Commando game isn't just a rumor.

I just don't find any other class besides Trooper interesting.

A new Developer Blog went up about a new weapon customization option - Weapon Tuning:

A Weapon Tuning is an exciting new way to customize your weaponry, creating a brilliant visual flair on the weapon itself!

If you want to equip a Weapon Tuning the first thing you&#8217;ll need is a weapon with an available Tuning Slot. Weapons that have a Tuning Slot come from many different sources including the Cartel Market, PvP, Operations, Reputation Vendors, Flashpoints, Heroics Missions, and Crafting Recipes. Be sure to check if your Weapon has a Tuning Slot!

Next, you&#8217;ll need a Weapon Tuning. They are currently only found in Cartel Market Packs. The first Weapon Tuning, Lightning, is available in the Plunderer Pack which launches alongside Chapter XIII: Profit and Plunder.

Once you&#8217;ve got a weapon with an open Tuning Slot and a Weapon Tuning, combining the two is as simple as making any other modification to your weapon. First, CTRL+Right-click the item to open up the Field Modification window. You can also take it to an Item Modification Station. Then simply drag the Weapon Tuning into the open Tuning Slot and hit &#8220;Apply&#8221;. Your Weapon will automatically begin using the effect created by the Mod!

GIF-4.gif

GIF-2.gif

GIF-5.gif

Moff

cool feature
I'm looking forward to see all the new stuff when I dive back in as soon as the story is finished

So from recent dev post/letter, it sounds like a whole new storyline will be done after this one finishes. Guess another big expansion launch or they will just keep going with monthly chapters that continue it?

StudioTan

So from recent dev post/letter, it sounds like a whole new storyline will be done after this one finishes. Guess another big expansion launch or they will just keep going with monthly chapters that continue it?

Sounds to me like they have another story arc planned.

Moff

that's interesting, so I guess it was more successfull for most players in that case?
good for them, I guess, personally, I spent a lot more time with the game in the new flashpoints and operations in the traditional expansions

Silexx

If my understanding is correct, they are basically breaking things down into something like seasons. So KOTFE is Season 1 and next year we'll get Season 2.

that's interesting, so I guess it was more successfull for most players in that case?
good for them, I guess, personally, I spent a lot more time with the game in the new flashpoints and operations in the traditional expansions

Think they said this has been their most successful "expansion" launch so far. I assume they lot a bunch of people while also gaining back a bunch and maybe some new ones. Alot of the die hard mmo crowd and raiders left, the more casual crowd came for story, etc.

Moff

Think they said this has been their most successful "expansion" launch so far. I assume they lot a bunch of people while also gaining back a bunch and maybe some new ones. Alot of the die hard mmo crowd and raiders left, the more casual crowd came for story, etc.

good for them, I hope they stay successful then. I definitely don't mind playing through the new stories once a year or so

I'm someone who played for 2-3 months when the game launched, but left after that. I tried to get back in when it went f2p, but it didn't click. However, I plan to get back in with a sub now, and do the story and new content solo (and maybe team up a few times with others).

I know some hardcore MMO players don't like the pro-solo pve direction the game has taken (apparently), but it's the exact sort of thing that has drawn me back in. I love the lore and the environment and the story...just not the usual MMO grind.

I'm kinda wanting to milk that double XP, but at the same time, I don't really need to. I already have SO many level 65s.

Maybe I'll build some characters up on other servers or something...

StudioTan

Nice, we're getting both chapters 14 and 15 next month.

I wonder if they're going to be announcing the next story at E3?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ooooh 2 chapters next month should be great, after that we've only got 1 more right?

KOTFE is supposed to be 16 chapters long or 18?

Also I hate leveling characters through SoR, the solo flash points take sooo longg.

I swear because of that I never get anything outside my main and my main alt to 65.

Top Bottom