• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Ooooh 2 chapters next month should be great, after that we've only got 1 more right?

KOTFE is supposed to be 16 chapters long or 18?

Also I hate leveling characters through SoR, the solo flash points take sooo longg.

I swear because of that I never get anything outside my main and my main alt to 65.

Those dungeons are awful, yeah. I was really bummed out when I realised I had to go through them.

Definitely makes me think twice about bringing more characters into KotFE.

Altairre

So I'm probably going to get back to this once all the KotfE content is out. Plan on levelling a new character from scratch. Last time I played was during the 12x XP event, how fast is solo levelling now compared to it?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I'm probably going to get back to this once all the KotfE content is out. Plan on levelling a new character from scratch. Last time I played was during the 12x XP event, how fast is solo levelling now compared to it?

Slightly slower. With 12x XP you only needed to do your class quests, now you need to also do the main planet story arcs. They've changed it so that the quests you should be doing are purple and the side quests can be hidden if you want, I can't remember if they're visible by default or not. They're marked with the old standard yellow quest symbols.

You could probably skip a lot of the planet arcs too if you're using XP boosters but I haven't leveled a character in a while.

Altairre

Slightly slower. With 12x XP you only needed to do your class quests, now you need to also do the main planet story arcs. They've changed it so that the quests you should be doing are purple and the side quests can be hidden if you want, I can't remember if they're visible by default or not. They're marked with the old standard yellow quest symbols.

You could probably skip a lot of the planet arcs too if you're using XP boosters but I haven't leveled a character in a while.

Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad, it's been a while since I've seen the planet arcs. I might still have some boosters left too, will see how it goes. The sidequests were definitely the thing that bothered me the most before the 12x XP thing came around. How long does it approximately take to get through all of the KotfE stuff?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad, it's been a while since I've seen the planet arcs. I might still have some boosters left too, will see how it goes. The sidequests were definitely the thing that bothered me the most before the 12x XP thing came around. How long does it approximately take to get through all of the KotfE stuff?

Depends on how fast you plow through them but basically about an hour per episode, so it'll be 16 total hours?

Anyone else going to take part in the Dark vs. Light event? I think all of my character slots are filled right now so I'm going to have to make some decisions on who stays and who goes.

StudioTan

Anyone else going to take part in the Dark vs. Light event? I think all of my character slots are filled right now so I'm going to have to make some decisions on who stays and who goes.

I still have a couple of classes I haven't done or haven't done both male and female so I might do one Pub and one Sith.

I don't know anything about the light v dark event - is the Fallen Empire storyline finished now?

One more chapter next month.

The DvL event requires you to level new characters. Up to 8 total for all the rewards and it's not retroactive which is somewhat absurd really for veteran players.

Jrmint

I'm thinking of resubbing for a month until Legion comes out. How were the follow up chapters to KotFE after those initial 8? Worth a resub? I really enjoyed the first 8.

Moff

I'm thinking of resubbing for a month until Legion comes out. How were the follow up chapters to KotFE after those initial 8? Worth a resub? I really enjoyed the first 8.

I tried the same thing and during the chapter (9 or 10?) with that rattataka companion from the imperial agent I just had to drop it again, so bad. I was running through the dark boring underworld of that new planet and did the same thing over and over and over again, activate some consoles and kill packs of droids, so boring. I'll be honest I am not sure if I'll ever resub again. I'll need a serious Star Wars itch for that.

I still have a couple of classes I haven't done or haven't done both male and female so I might do one Pub and one Sith.

One more chapter next month.

The DvL event requires you to level new characters. Up to 8 total for all the rewards and it's not retroactive which is somewhat absurd really for veteran players.

Thanks, yeah sod that.

Kadin

So sad to see that 2 weeks have gone by without a single post in the thread.

Personally I stopped subbing early in the year and just re-subbed at the beginning of this month. Kinda meh already with only 2 weeks back into playing. This DvL event is pretty blah as I already had 22 established characters on Harbinger and none of them were so low that I just wanted to delete them. So I used a character slot and added yet another new character for this event. Got a 37 Operative right now and I don't feel any reason to continue.

How did a game with such potential become something I simply can't enjoy playing any more? Some might say that I've played enough with what I have but I WANT to play more, I just don't want to do the same shit over and over. These new chapters just aren't cutting it.

Who's enjoying the event?

infi

So sad to see that 2 weeks have gone by without a single post in the thread.

Personally I stopped subbing early in the year and just re-subbed at the beginning of this month. Kinda meh already with only 2 weeks back into playing. This DvL event is pretty blah as I already had 22 established characters on Harbinger and none of them were so low that I just wanted to delete them. So I used a character slot and added yet another new character for this event. Got a 37 Operative right now and I don't feel any reason to continue.

How did a game with such potential become something I simply can't enjoy playing any more? Some might say that I've played enough with what I have but I WANT to play more, I just don't want to do the same shit over and over. These new chapters just aren't cutting it.

Who's enjoying the event?

I've been unsubscribed for a few months and will resub when the last chapter is out just to play through the story then unsub again. I've done most of the stuff I want to do in the main game so it's only the story that I'll come back for.

I've not done the event as I don't have any free slots on my server, even if I were to reactive I'd need to spend money on slot unlocks which I don't want to do. A lot of the stuff you need to do for this event are things I've spent a lot of hours doing before and I don't want to have to go through everything again just for this. So I'm not a fan of this event, though it's probably more fun if you haven't already levelled lots of characters through the game.

StudioTan

I'm still subbed but lately have just been logging in each month to do the new chapter.

I don't hate the game or anything but I just don't have time these days to devote to an MMO.

Still interested to see what the show today.

oktarb

So Light vs. Dark is only initiated if you start a level 1 character. Legacy characters aren't affected in anyway?

Edit: Okay so after a little research - this only applies to new characters which is pissing the community off as veterans already have leveled characters and thus don't get retroactive credit.

So Light vs. Dark is only initiated if you start a level 1 character. Legacy characters aren't affected in anyway?

Edit: Okay so after a little research - this only applies to new characters which is pissing the community off as veterans already have leveled characters and thus don't get retroactive credit.
Yeah it's a pretty bad situation for Vets. I can't be bothered to level up all over again.

Bumping this up but I played Chapter 16 yesterday. I thought the KotFE ending was pretty disappointing. Its hard to explain why without spoiling but it didn't seem like your choices mattered much in the end.

Vic_Viper

Made my free level 60 char to check out the expansion after subbing for a month. I think im just starting the 3rd chapter of it and im shocked that this is really all it is. Each chapter so far has been soo linear and short from what I imagined. I thought it would be like another Act for the storyline but just one instead of individual class storylines. I cant believe they wait a month at the least to release these. Are people thinking the new expansion thats coming going to be similar?

Want to now start a new hero from level 1 and see the light sides story line. Played a Sith Inquisitor at launch and liked what I played but wasnt super impressed with their storyline. But I hear they have one of the more boring. I want to do a Jedi but I hear their story stuff isnt that great either. Will probably do a Jedi as my main and run a Imperial Agent for the story.

If im running mainly solo with maybe some group stuff should I go for the Jedi Tank? Dont plan on doing any PvP really.

Moff

Want to now start a new hero from level 1 and see the light sides story line. Played a Sith Inquisitor at launch and liked what I played but wasnt super impressed with their storyline. But I hear they have one of the more boring. I want to do a Jedi but I hear their story stuff isnt that great either. Will probably do a Jedi as my main and run a Imperial Agent for the story.

Jedi Consular is widely considered bad, but Jedi Knight has one of the best, together with Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior.

Vic_Viper

Jedi Consular is widely considered bad, but Jedi Knight has one of the best, together with Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior.

Jedi Knight was the one I wanted to do. Want to make a character with Ahsoka's race if I can from the start.

What is the better advanced class for Jedi Knight?

StudioTan

Made my free level 60 char to check out the expansion after subbing for a month. I think im just starting the 3rd chapter of it and im shocked that this is really all it is. Each chapter so far has been soo linear and short from what I imagined. I thought it would be like another Act for the storyline but just one instead of individual class storylines. I cant believe they wait a month at the least to release these. Are people thinking the new expansion thats coming going to be similar?

As far as we know it's going to be similar. One thing to keep in mind though, the first 9 chapters were released at the same time so there wasn't a month break between those. The rest of the chapters are all about an hour each though.

Overall I thought the story was well done, some of the cinematics are great.

Vic_Viper

does the disk version of the game have some of the files on the disk or is it just the installer? Wanted to gift this to a friend that wants to play and they have a DL cap with their isp so it would be nice to give them the disk if it can eliveate some of the download.

Btw I've really enjoyed the story of the expansion, I just wasn't really expecting it to be like it is. I guess I was just assuming it would be similar to a WoW expansion. But what I've played so far the story has been awesome.

fenners

does the disk version of the game have some of the files on the disk or is it just the installer? Wanted to gift this to a friend that wants to play and they have a DL cap with their isp so it would be nice to give them the disk if it can eliveate some of the download.

The disk is five years out of date. You'll be downloading the whole game again + all the new updates.

StudioTan

Btw I've really enjoyed the story of the expansion, I just wasn't really expecting it to be like it is. I guess I was just assuming it would be similar to a WoW expansion. But what I've played so far the story has been awesome.

Can you give it to them on a USB stick? The game doesn't need to be installed per se, you can just make a copy of your SWTOR folder and they can run it from that.

Is there still plenty of players playing this?

Lol, shit. I came to this thread to ask the same question. Downloading it for the first time. I'm also wondering if I will like this if I don't give a shit about the story. I like Star Wars but the story in a video game is always at the bottom of my list of concerns.

fenners

The postings on here might be way down, but the number of players is pretty solid from what I hear. Coming up to the fifth anniversary too.

HariKari

Did they ever undo some of the super shitty F2P aspects like limiting the amount of toolbars you could have? I'd play it from time to time if that's the case.

The postings on here might be way down, but the number of players is pretty solid from what I hear. Coming up to the fifth anniversary too.

Harbinger is dead APAC evenings and that's the default APAC server and the highest pop server overall. Sad really, guilds that have been around since the beginning are empty. New content can't come soon enough though even that just looks like single player content re-purposed as group without anything actually new.

Did they ever undo some of the super shitty F2P aspects like limiting the amount of toolbars you could have? I'd play it from time to time if that's the case.

Nope!

HariKari

Same deal as before where you sub and you get all the DLC up until that point? So if I sub again for this expansion, I'll get the rest of Fallen Empire + this new expansion?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So apparently They are getting rid of tradtional MMO "kill bosses for loot" gearing entirely with the next expansion? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like they are moving all end-game gear acquisiton to just a psuedo-xp grind where you do stuff, get a new from of xp, and every "level" get a box with random loot?

That doesn't sound very good?

Once you hit level 70, the source of end-game gear will be Command Crates from Galactic Command.
Most activities in the game will earn Command Experience Points (CXP), which will earn you Command Ranks. Each time your Command Rank increases, you earn a Command Crate.
The higher your Command Rank, the better gear that will drop from your Command Crates.
The highest difficulty Operations and Uprisings, along with Ranked Warzones are intended to be the fastest ways to earn CXP. This means they are the fastest way to get the best gear.
Both PvP and PvE gear will come from Command Crates. Their gear is now shared as Expertise is being removed (head to this thread to discuss PvP/PvE itemization specifically).
Gear will no longer drop from bosses as all gear will come from Command Crates. All cosmetic/unique drops will still remain on those bosses (Stronghold Decorations, Wings of the Architect, etc.).
Players will be able to craft comparable item level gear without set bonuses.

Moff

I wish it was just currency

this way it really is like the battlemaster boxes or closer to overwatchs loot crates, which I hated. I don't like lottery.

There is rumor of 8-man content coming, when that is and if it is even a full op or something else who knows. Tactical Ops?

I can't wait to get 13 belts in a row out of the RNG boxes.

Top Bottom