• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Syf

Banned
Wow, TotalBiscuit is going to be commentating at Dreamhack Austin. Glad to hear he's still feeling up to it!

Woorloog

Banned
So I have never played Star Craft 2 how do I get in on the fun?

Download the free starter edition from Battle.net (client).
It has some campaign missions, custom games (Arcade) is free and you can play Co-op missions and multiplayer too, though not ranked games.

So I have never played Star Craft 2 how do I get in on the fun?

There's a trial version I think you can get a friend to invite you to play. Starter Edition I think it is called, maybe you can just download that off Bnet not sure.

You can also play the campaigns of each game if you decide to buy any of the games that will teach you the basic mechanics pretty well.

Mrcapcom

There's a trial version I think you can get a friend to invite you to play. Starter Edition I think it is called, maybe you can just download that off Bnet not sure.

You can also play the campaigns of each game if you decide to buy any of the games that will teach you the basic mechanics pretty well.

Download the free starter edition from Battle.net (client).
It has some campaign missions, custom games (Arcade) is free and you can play Co-op missions and multiplayer too, though not ranked games.

I was hardcore with the original starcraft so at this point I think I just want to play the story with another friend. What do your pc specs need to be like? I'm on a Dell Precision M3800.

phoenixyz

I was hardcore with the original starcraft so at this point I think I just want to play the story with another friend. What do your pc specs need to be like? I'm on a Dell Precision M3800.

There is no co-op campaign, if that's what you are looking for. The co-op feature are some standalone missions without story.

Syf

Banned
Really wish they'd make campaign compatible with archon mode. Doesn't seem like it should be too terribly hard? idk. I'm no programmer

To run it really well you need a pretty beefy CPU, but anything modern will be OK just not always perfect with tons of stuff going on. But the game is a lot more well optimized now than it was before.

I get like 40 to 55 fps with tons going on in some of the custom games. I think more CPU bound than GPU bound. Probably plays better with Intel that is my guess.

Don't need to beefy a GPU but something recent in low-mid tier would be good enough like 750 GTX or something.

You can't really play the story with a friend as far as I know, unless you mean playing at the same computer.

There is however a co-op mode (not just 2 v 2) for multiplayer called Archon mode which is really cool where you can have one player managing economy and a second player managing the fighting units for the same "player." I think you can do that versus AI or online versus other players.

But yea Archon mode is only for PvAI or PvP, not for SP.

Really wish they'd make campaign compatible with archon mode. Doesn't seem like it should be too terribly hard? idk. I'm no programmer

They would have to rebalance all the levels and achievements which would be almost like making half of it over again. And I guess both players would need achievements, and they would have to make them like custom games that they work online with the narrators and cutscenes and bridge stuff and so on.

As they are they are well balanced, but yea I guess they could just add a mode. It would be easier but hella fun.

Mrcapcom

To run it really well you need a pretty beefy CPU, but anything modern will be OK just not always perfect with tons of stuff going on. But the game is a lot more well optimized now than it was before.

I get like 40 to 55 fps with tons going on in some of the custom games. I think more CPU bound than GPU bound. Probably plays better with Intel that is my guess.

Don't need to beefy a GPU but something recent in low-mid tier would be good enough like 750 GTX or something.

You can't really play the story with a friend as far as I know, unless you mean playing at the same computer.

There is however a co-op mode (not just 2 v 2) for multiplayer called Archon mode which is really cool where you can have one player managing economy and a second player managing the fighting units for the same "player." I think you can do that versus AI or online versus other players.

But yea Archon mode is only for PvAI or PvP, not for SP.

They would have to rebalance all the levels and achievements which would be almost like making half of it over again. And I guess both players would need achievements, and they would have to make them like custom games that they work online with the narrators and cutscenes and bridge stuff and so on.

As they are they are well balanced, but yea I guess they could just add a mode. It would be easier but hella fun.

Sweet the 2v2 mode is just as good if I can't do campaign.

frontovik

Banned
Looking forward to trying out Covert Ops tomorrow, it looks interesting. Not going to expect much with regards to good writing, but the mission designs should be fun.

Fangel

Neo Member
Switch your region to SEA and the game can be patched, the new missions also playable. Achievements, saves wont be transferred over though.

Mr Swine

Banned
Oh they fixed the Cyclone AI bug where it would aimlessly go into range 5 despite having a lock on range of 7! Thanks Blizzard!

Pooya

The opening soundtrack :0

edit:

beat it, it takes about an hour.

If you're wondering about

gameplay->
It's like an isometric MGS at times, like the usual installation type missions StarCraft always had but now there are thing like FOV cones even and it's like a simplistic stealth game, second and third mission are regular StarCraft, the third mission the moves into another 'installation' type mission. You become like Raiden here, that glow stick looked so dumb!

story-> well, it's pretty much Tom Clancy's StarCraft I think. I'm not sure if that brings back intrigue to the story but I guess it's better than anime story of before? There is not much here to say how it will be yet. There is little stupid dialog still, I guess that's to be expected
your science dude literally says 'IT'S SCIENCE'

Production values are still there, it doesn't have crazy over produced cut scenes like LotV had but they are still pretty good with some really good new music composed for it. It doesn't feel cheap at all. Whether it's worth 15 bucks or not I'm not sure. If you're not into StarCraft that much, I don't think so. If you're into it you probably have already bought it. I hope it works out overall and SC gets regular content updates like every other Blizzard game does these days, this looks like a test to figure out what to do with SC. I'm not sure how well this has to sell for Blizzard to continue producing SC content. It's better we get that than ten years of nothing.

Good/10

edit: Nova's ship looks so cool!

Syf

Banned
Just finished. Agree with pretty much all above. Found the missions fun and varied, story is more down to earth though there's still some hammy writing. Production as good as ever. Can't say yet if it's worth the $15 because this is only the first pack and the next two are included. If they're all about this quality though I'll say it's worth it for me.

Syf

Banned
That's odd. Check your update settings in the battle.net menu maybe? Update should be available everywhere now I believe. As long as you bought it of course.

Oh hang on are you in EU?

Jinroh

Ah well it's just that patch 3.2 is not available yet in Switzerland. I switched to the US client and it downloaded the patch without any issues. But sadly I have to sleep now ;(

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, so, CovOps.

Fun but releasing it in three mission packets is a mistake. It is not really that interesting, making the wait annoying, not to mention it isn't very long. Took me some 1.5h to complete the three missions. An advanced player can do them in much, much shorter time. The ability to customize equipment and units gives the missions slight replayability but that is all. They should have just completed all three and released them at once. With maximum of 15€ for price, ie the pre-order price, not 22.50€ total..

The story seems very predictable, and i doubt it will be good or even that interesting in the end. The first three missions feel like a prologue, but given that the DLC is supposed to have 9 missions total, that isn't a good thing. A prologue sets up something but if it will be solved more or less right away... Doesn't really feel like it is the Act 1, which would make more sense for such a short DLC.

The mission design is good-ish, as usual for Starcraft 2. Nothing we've seen before though. Two of the three missions in the first pack are split into two sections, so there's a bit variety within a mission as well.
Very easy on normal though i doubt hard will be challenging either.

If you really want more SC2 single player gameplay, it is all right but... Yeah, but.
Can't say i recommend it... not yet anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
I predict the story will be dumb. Heck, it is already something of a re-hash of SC1 plot... with some SC2 elements.

(Someone at SC Legacy spotted a
Moebius Corp logo in Defender of Man base
)

Tekniqs

lost two placement games, was placed in platinum. Won my first ranked game and got promoted to diamond league. We in there brehs! (getting my ass whooped will be fun lol)

Karl2177

I predict the story will be dumb. Heck, it is already something of a re-hash of SC1 plot... with some SC2 elements.

(Someone at SC Legacy spotted a
Moebius Corp logo in Defender of Man base
)

There was a
Moebius Corp logo on the Memory Rememberer thing.

Wedge7

Haven't followed this game in a while. Does anyone still care about the GSL?

Watched all of the SSL/GSL so far, it feels alot less exciting this year to me. Especially in something like the SSL, the lack of big names and lack of terrans really hurting my hype. That, and the horrible spacing out of content, feels like these seasons are being so fucking stretched out. I know they only have 2 of each this year, but godamn, its taking forever.

Aaron

I've been off and on since Legacy of the Void came out, and think I'm off for good. Not sure what it is, but I just can't get into it like used to, and have been watching more Dota 2 instead. I think I needed Void to change things up more than it did, which probably wasn't realistic.

Haven't followed this game in a while. Does anyone still care about the GSL?

I always watch VoD's the next day. HerO played great. I know people hate cheese but I loved the proxy Oracle in the second game against Speed. Trap's builds are great but his micro just stops randomly and costs him games. He lost one to herO not paying attention to his Disruptors and lost 3 to Taeja not canceling his Adept shades. I'm impressed with Taeja, especially because with all of the Terran retirements in LotV I thought he would be one of them. Speed started to get hyped some but I didn't think he had much of a chance to get out of the group.

Last nights GSL was kind of meh as expected with 3 Zerg's in the group. TvZ is kind of dumb right now. The best strat both ways is to play it exactly like HotS until late game except for some Liberator harass. Roach/Ravager openings aren't great with how mobile tanks are now and there's almost no harass potential unless you invest into Burrow and Burrow Movement. ZvZ at least is much more interesting even with games stalling in mid game when both go Muta's. Dark's build in his last game against Losira was terrible. If you're not going to fully commit to taking out his 3rd, don't do it at all. Instead he didn't kill the 3rd, lost some Lings and Banelings, and never started a 3rd of his own, leaving him with just a really fast Lair.

Anyways, did Blizzard stop caring about SC2? It's been nearly a month since they posted anything about balance updates.

Mr Swine

Banned
Last nights GSL was kind of meh as expected with 3 Zerg's in the group. TvZ is kind of dumb right now. The best strat both ways is to play it exactly like HotS until late game except for some Liberator harass. Roach/Ravager openings aren't great with how mobile tanks are now and there's almost no harass potential unless you invest into Burrow and Burrow Movement. ZvZ at least is much more interesting even with games stalling in mid game when both go Muta's. Dark's build in his last game against Losira was terrible. If you're not going to fully commit to taking out his 3rd, don't do it at all. Instead he didn't kill the 3rd, lost some Lings and Banelings, and never started a 3rd of his own, leaving him with just a really fast Lair.

Anyways, did Blizzard stop caring about SC2? It's been nearly a month since they posted anything about balance updates.

Oh they do care about SC2! The latest balance update that came out yesterday has just the Banshee buff and Liberator nerf (and Overlord drop nerf). No Siegetank, Cyclone or Thor buff they talked about. Next week it's only going to be a Liberator nerf for Terran left!

[/b]

Oh they do care about SC2! The latest balance update that came out yesterday has just the Banshee buff and Liberator nerf (and Overlord drop nerf). No Siegetank, Cyclone or Thor buff they talked about. Next week it's only going to be a Liberator nerf for Terran left!

Going through all the updates they're trying out:

The Overlord nerf is disappointing but it'll probably stick. It gave Zerg a way to harass Protoss early without heavily committing.
Banshees need a buff but I'm not sure exactly how without making them OP in the early game. A small damage buff would help a little but might effect early game too much. The only way I can think of is like the Liberator upgrade that requires a Fusion Core. Then have an upgrade on the Starport tech lab that gives them +10-12 damage to armored. This would make them more viable against Ultra's and the Fusion Core requirement means that Stalkers can mostly take care of them in early game if they don't open up with stealth. They still wouldn't be that viable in TvP but they don't need to be in every match up.
I would just give Banshees a speed upgrade baseline but but add a tiny bit of more lag between shots.
You could also reduce the cost of Banshees a little so they're not quite as big of an investment.
I thought Liberator's air attack was +light to begin with to mainly deal with Muta's. It would hurt Terran chasing down Warp Prisms (I don't think they're light but I'm not certain) but that's about it. They're already worse than Vikings against everything except Muta's and Phoenix unless they're stacked and this wouldn't change that much.
Still think the range nerf before upgrade is needed. It wouldn't effect late game at all because the upgrade is required and it'd make Banshees more viable early.

Last nights GSL was good but got a little stale being all TvP's. A Banshee buff would make opening with them more viable and I think it would also help to punish Protoss that take an extremely quick 3rd.

Pooya

Looks like Nova's data are in the game now as an upcoming coop commander. They've said that the future commanders after Karax won't be free. I'm wondering how much they will charge for commanders. It's getting like CoH2 in here...I guess they have to at this point to keep developing this game. I like coop mode quite a bit, it's all I play but I'm not sure if majority care about it to buy content for it.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think people will buy co-op commanders enough for Blizzard to keep supporting the mode.
Not enough maps and variety in the mode. It is fun but not THAT good.

I wonder if the Nova DLC sold well... i know i won't be getting the next DLC, CovOps first third was nowhere near good enough (if they had released all three parts at once, maybe then).

Mr Swine

Banned
All I want for co op commanders are classic levels from SC and Brood War. How about a level where you need to kill the Cerebrates to weaken the over mind so you can kill it off? Or how about a level where you control the heroes only?

Yeah I don't imagine new co-op commanders selling well unless they're really cheap. I'm hoping they'll eventually add more levels with new perks for each commander though.

Top Bottom