• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

can they maybe do a double elimination bracket last minute? they did that with SSL didn't they?

Well, SSL was for the round of 16. Code A is round of 64, no way they'll do double-elimination at that level, I think. It does suck for certain match-ups though, just like Zest vs Maru last season.

Would be nice. Like they've got to recognize it's a problem that both of these players could make the final but one is about to be knocked out in Code A

Eh, I doubt Inno is in any shape to reach the finals these days, unfortunately. He didn't make it to Code S last season either, and he only had Stork to face, who isn't even a full-time pro-gamer. He lost to Ragnarok in SSL season 1, and was just knocked out of the qualifiers for season 2 by jjakji. Hell, he's 1-3 in Proleague. It's sad to say, but after dominating the end of HotS, he just doesn't seem to adapt too well to LotV. :\ I do hope things turn around for him soon though.

Ugh Abathur is so tempting. Figured he wouldn't be free but I was hoping for $3. I know it's only $2 more but I rarely buy things I feel are overpriced no matter how much I want them.

Pooya

$5 is ok, I probably won't get it because I don't care about Abathur. I might look at getting Nova when she comes out next. I feel that one should be free if you got covert ops though... not happening.

They have an AMA on reddit today, maybe they say something there about future micro transactions and plans.

Pooya

patch 3.3 notes http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20118329

coming after maintenance I think.

When the blog went up there was this line:

Fixed an issue where the client could crash when attempting to use DirectX 11 on an unsupported video card.

It's gone now....

Maybe they are upgrading to DX11 finally and we get something better than the single threaded renderer we have now in SCII and hots. Probably not in this patch.

Mr Swine

Banned
patch 3.3 notes http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20118329

coming after maintenance I think.

When the blog went up there was this line:

It's gone now....

Maybe they are upgrading to DX11 finally and we get something better than the single threaded renderer we have now in SCII and hots. Probably not in this patch.

They probably ment DX9 and not DX11, Blizzard hasn't upgraded the engine beyond DX9 and only added stuff to their old engine. Wow got DX11 mode a couple of years ago

Pooya

Mutation mode is legit good and challenging, you have to actually use your abilities well. Beating it at brutal without a broken commander like Vorazun is really hard. I like it a lot and we get a new one every week? yes please.

Had a run with new hero Abathur and had a lot of fun with him although he feels quite substantially more powerful then the other heroes in the game. The buff his units get as they collect biomass turn them into complete monsters and by the midgame of most missions I was rolling round with brokenly powerful units.

Miker

My friend and I played some co-op missions last night after a long hiatus and we still feel like it has the same problems with difficulty, in that hard is too easy when your commanders are level ~3+, but brutal is too hard (for us) until your commanders are high level.

play the mutation mode on normal instead, it's a lot harder than regular hard. get your bounty, level up fast.

LVL 15 Karax says hi.

Mutation hard was fucking easy. Just place one pylon up and down the choke around base. Build canon (and a couple of shields) and laugh at everything because Karax has upgraded turrets and everything will only come these ways. Now same thing for expand. And build aerial to defend from aerial threats coming from different angle. It's dead easy.

Pooya

I know, everything below brutal isn't really notable. I'm responding to above poster that finds regular hard missions too easy but brutal too hard.

Pooya

They probably ment DX9 and not DX11, Blizzard hasn't upgraded the engine beyond DX9 and only added stuff to their old engine. Wow got DX11 mode a couple of years ago

There is a new option added to variables.txt, graphicsAPI, it doesn't do anything right now. I think they are definitely working on it and that was a slip up.

Mr Swine

Banned
There is a new option added to variables.txt, graphicsAPI, it doesn't do anything right now. I think they are definitely working on it and that was a slip up.

Oh really? Oh that sounds sweet if true, I wish they went with DX12 too with real multithreaded support :/

Seeya

That final match broguht tears to my eyes XD

Also I've figured out how to mech TvP at least in high diamond. I'm so happy. :D

Legacy of the Void Balance Update -- May 23, 2016

Balance Changes

Terran

Thor
Adding a second anti-air attack 'mode' which can be toggled on/off:
Attack deals 35 (+15 armored) damage every 2.14 seconds (on faster game speed)
Cyclone
Cost reduced from 150/150 to 150/100
Supply cost increased from 3 to 4
Liberator
Anti-air damage changed from 7 to 5 (+2 light)
Protoss

Colossus
+10% to Attack Speed (This includes a 10% increase to the ground sweep as well)
Immortal
Barrier absorb reduced from 200 damage to 100 damage
Zerg

Swarm Host
Cost reduced from 200/100 to 150/75
Map Changes

Frozen Temple

Removed Watchtowers

I think these are all good changes. I thought that the thor AA was going to replace the old one, but the toggle is much appreciated. Though I would like to see the Impact mode have slightly better damage/DPS.

MC returns to full-time progaming, and joins CJ Entus! :O Pretty cool. CJ kinda needed another good player too.

Anyone watched the GSL/SSL Cross Finals? VODs: http://sc2links.com/tournament.php?tournament=WCS+Korea+CrossFinals+2016
Man, Stats is on fire lately. I expected one of the GSL boys to take it, but no... Stats beat both Zest and Dark pretty convincingly. Plus he all-killed SKT, and got 2 kills against Jin Air earlier last week. Seems like he should go very far in the new GSL season. It looks like he didn't even attend the SSL qualifiers though? Weird.

Anyone try out the Nova DLC? I believe the first mission pack is available or have more been released? Is the DLC any good? Thinking seriously about giving it a shot!

Could do with another Starcraft 2 fix. Anyone played it?

Dreavus

Does co-op have any legs? I'm not super into competitive play and when I did it was almost always teams. This seems like a pretty cool PvE alternative; it reminds me of "Last Stand" from Dawn of War 2. I actually only own up to HotS, had no idea co-op was even a thing that existed, and it ended up being pretty cool from the few matches I played with random people.

I'm trying to figure out what LotV gets you in co-op, just the extra commanders? Do I still have access to all the missions with just owning up to HotS?

EDIT:
Anyone try out the Nova DLC? I believe the first mission pack is available or have more been released? Is the DLC any good? Thinking seriously about giving it a shot!

Could do with another Starcraft 2 fix. Anyone played it?

Haven't played it myself, but from the Giant Bomb Quicklook the first mission looked similar to the Zeratul one from Wings of Liberty, and then went crazy with a bike chase action-y sequence.

So how is Abathur in coop? I want to buy it but not sure

Very strong, perhaps a little overpowered honestly. He has a very weak early game against air (perhaps the weakest in the game) but other then that he has really strong mid to late game units and the benefits of having tanky units mean they don't need to be resupplied often resulting in you being able to save all your economy for upgrades, letting you strengthen up very fast. I personally find him very enjoyable to play although his units require a fair amount of micromanagement and protection which can be a challenge.

phoenixyz

Never really got into the Co-op mode. It's fun for a few matches, but nothing long term.
But... you could also play Archon mode. It's not really PvE, but at least you are playing in a team.

Pooya

I'm trying to figure out what LotV gets you in co-op, just the extra commanders? Do I still have access to all the missions with just owning up to HotS?

You get Karax, Vorazun, Zagara and Swan with LotV purchase, the other 3 are free for everyone and Abathur is to be purchased.

All the missions are open to everyone, that includes starter edition, this is like the accessible f2p mode of the game right now. I like the mode, it's laid back and now with mutations, it can create some really fun missions, on brutal they are really hard. Regular missions get boring and there hasn't been a new one in some time. I think if they had something like this 5 years ago, the game could have been more successful.

Watching Artosis play Legacy of the Void's campaign has gotten me to start playing it again, this time on hard for the first time (played it on normal before). It's still incredibly stupid how they changed the multiplayer to speed up the early game, but in the campaign you start with like 7 Probes and no tech.

Pooya

And about DX11 for SCII that I talked about a few posts back, HotS just got it in PTR. I guess SCII is soon too, I guess it could come with ladder revamp patch. How much it improves performance I have no idea yet but they say in patch notes that it opens up future optimizations, probably not much yet I guess.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ugh, the new buffs for Zerg are just to much, the spores root much faster which makes liberator Harris completely useless and queens new AA range is just to much. Now it's impossible to beat zerg

Seeya

Just do the fastest Marine drop build and go from there. Depending on the Zerg comp you can even use the two liberators to siege/protect your marines encroachment.

The Spore Crawler change was needed. The Queen range buff might be a little too much. The Spore Crawler change only really effect ZvT but the Queen change effects all matchups. It makes Oracles weaker in ZvP and hurts Overlord scouting in early ZvZ and Muta's in mid game (which may not be a bad thing as Muta vs Muta is dumb).

Weird, second straight GSL group that was all 2-0's.

Started playing co-op again. Still love Zagara. Just constantly suiciding in with Zerglings and Scourge. Current mutation isn't great as her though.

Edit: Reading Blizzards forums made me realize that Zerg almost never builds Vipers anymore. They gave them Parasitic Bomb to help against things like Skytoss but they made it cost a ridiculous amount of energy and it's hard for them to get close enough to Skytoss because of Feedbacks. Plus it took players like a week to micro the unit with it away from the rest of their army.

Top Bottom