• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

mazillion

Every aspect of the first game has been improved upon. It feels so much bigger and better. The music is amazing too, unexpectedly good, it's really creative stuff.

This game is polished to a T. Steamworld Dig 2 is a proper sequel.

pswii60

I never understood the hype with the first dig. It was so average for me.

But then I got heist, because I like strategy games and also got to know the devs who happen to be wonderful people, and it was so much better than not only dig, but other games in it's genre.

So I decided to give dig 2 a chance because honestly it looked improved over the original, but it's way better than the original and so much fun to play.

It's almost as if dig 1 was a prototype and dig 2 is the actual game after feedback
Completely agree with your thoughts on the first. it felt so incredibly generic and not particularly well designed either.

But yeah, this is an absolutely night and day improvement.

Plum

Looks like they're changing the icon to this:

DKQ8H7SU8AAN9qk.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
New icon is perfection. I played around 40 minutes of this earlier and it's ridiculous how good it looks and controls. Can't wait to get home to play some more.

Hearing how people are completing the campaign in 5 hours is making me go super slow too lol. Gotta pace myself to really enjoy it.

phanphare

Banned
I never understood the hype with the first dig. It was so average for me.

But then I got heist, because I like strategy games and also got to know the devs who happen to be wonderful people, and it was so much better than not only dig, but other games in it's genre.

So I decided to give dig 2 a chance because honestly it looked improved over the original, but it's way better than the original and so much fun to play.

It's almost as if dig 1 was a prototype and dig 2 is the actual game after feedback

Completely agree with your thoughts on the first. it felt so incredibly generic and not particularly well designed either.

But yeah, this is an absolutely night and day improvement.

yeah this is me. I got the first game on sale and bailed half way through. it was fine it just wasn't really doing it for me.

this game is freaking incredible so far. the graphics are amazing, the controls are amazing, the level design is amazing, the pace is amazing, the exploration and reward for exploration is amazing.

I'm still early (just upgraded my bombs) but this game is damn near knocking my socks off right now. everything about it is clicking with me. and I'm still super early!

also the hd rumble in this game is incredible. the feeling you get when you plop into a pool of water is especially great.

hats off to the developers, seriously. this has just been some sublime gaming so far for me.

MUCH better

Man, the Pro controller's D-pad is dogshit. I'm actually better off playing games like these with the analog stick or the Joy Cons.

this game controls like a dream using that analog stick. it's giving me tropical freeze flashbacks in that regard, seems specifically designed to feel amazing with the stick.

Man, the Pro controller's D-pad is dogshit. I'm actually better off playing games like these with the analog stick or the Joy Cons.
This is the reason why I bought two more joycons than the pro controller, I didn’t want to support a defective product..
You can mod it to make it almost perfect tho.

I was thinking about getting this game, but I want something with a lot of content, and that I will find fun to replay. I hear this is only 4 or 5 hours long, but with a lot of post game content, and unlockables that really elongate the time spent. What is the verdict on this?

VanWinkle

I was thinking about getting this game, but I want something with a lot of content, and that I will find fun to replay. I hear this is only 4 or 5 hours long, but with a lot of post game content, and unlockables that really elongate the time spent. What is the verdict on this?

Oh is it really? I thought the devs said most people will take at least 8-10 hours.

Oh is it really? I thought the devs said most people will take at least 8-10 hours.
Thats what I heard too. Then I saw a post on r/NintendoSwitch where someone said they beat it in 4-5, and others agreed. So, I guess, I'm not sure.

I wrote the Cubed3 review and I can attest to this.
Dig 2 is almost twice as long as the original.

It really doesn't feel like it though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...world_dig_2_has_about_a_4_hour_long_campaign/

Interesting. I guess results may vary.

ghibli99

Just bought this and can't wait to start, although I'm a little more than halfway (judging by the stars) through Steamworld Heist, so I kinda want to finish that first. Still, happy to support the developer, and look forward to playing this. :)

Olorin

Great game so far! But I wish there was an option to make the dialogue text bigger. It's so tiny when playing in handheld mode.

Absolutely loving this so far! It's exactly what I wanted out of a sequel. So addictive that if I had the time I would probably play through it in one sitting.

JonnyKong

This game is absolutely ace so far (only just got the
jackhammer
).

I was going to say that my only issue so far would be having to come up for light all the time, but I like the way doing that makes me sell all my collected ore so really it's no issue at all.

Just finished.

The fact Image & Form managed to top Heist astounds me.

Highlight was the jawdropping sequence in
Voltron

jariw

Thats what I heard too. Then I saw a post on r/NintendoSwitch where someone said they beat it in 4-5, and others agreed. So, I guess, I'm not sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...world_dig_2_has_about_a_4_hour_long_campaign/

Interesting. I guess results may vary.

If the player plays it with location pointers ON, it obviously can become a speedrun attempt even on the first try.

Just finished.

How many secret %? Did you look for secrets on the first run, or did you just get the one you found?

Plum

Just got to the third warp point and I'm definitely gonna turn off the objective markers. They're good to have but the game's designed well enough that turning assistance like that off should definitely improve things.

Gala

This game is so good. So polished, the controls are so on point all the time and I'm exploring the hell out of the game. The Steamworld continues to be amazing.

jorgejjvr

Speaking of icons... On a unrelated note

This might sound dumb.

But is there away I can hide Switch icons? or move them? I would not want my brother to see something like doom when that comes out and then ask lol

Is there a benefit on digital or physical when it comes to the icons? I notice my physical games stay there even when not on the cart.

Speaking of icons... On a unrelated note

This might sound dumb.

But is there away I can hide Switch icons? or move them? I would not want my brother to see something like doom when that comes out and then ask lol

Is there a benefit on digital or physical when it comes to the icons? I notice my physical games stay there even when not on the cart.

That is a great post, my son will want to play and I will just tell him no.

Love the new icon. Has it already been updated?

jorgejjvr

That is a great post, my son will want to play and I will just tell him no.

Love the new icon. Has it already been updated?
Yeah.

I wish physical games did not stay around after I've removed them. I want to get rid of 1-2 switch as well, but for whole other reasons lol

dLMN8R

All you jerks are making it very difficult to decide between playing this and finishing Metroid: Samus Returns tonight :-(

I wasn't a huge fan of the first, but the stellar reviews are coaxing me to return to SteamWorld. Maybe after I get Hob and Cuphead out of the way...

Yo, thanks for letting me know Hob is finally coming out. Been psyched since PSX 2015.

And fuck yeah Steamworld Dig 2! I played the first on 3DS, so maybe I'll go PS4/Vita this time so I can be mobile.

Plum

Gotta say that with Edith Finch, Night in the Woods and now this, Indies are vying for a lot of spaces in my top 10 list this year. I've put in about 2 and a half hours and, so far, it's been great. Just reached the
second town
and all this talk of a 'jaw-dropping' moment up ahead has me excited.

Mutant

Bought it since I was a fan of the first one, and this seems like a good fit for the Switch. It's alright, I am not a fan of the main character's design tho.

How are the controls with the Joycons and the lack of a D-Pad? I played the first one on PS4 and wanna make sure I'm not gonna lose something control-wise with the Switch.

SirShandy

I find the gameplay cycle in the Steamworld Dig games to be very addictive. So far the changes/additions in the sequel are very smart about expanding your tool set and also streamlining certain mechanics (like being able to climb walls Super Meat Boy style, instead of having to rely on ladders).

About Switch controls: I've just been using the analog stick and have had no problems. The game is not really heavy on precision platforming, but the game controls great anyhow.

How are the controls with the Joycons and the lack of a D-Pad? I played the first one on PS4 and wanna make sure I'm not gonna lose something control-wise with the Switch.
i think it’s super fine honestly i haven’t had an issue with it at all

it’s not like you need to do motions or diagonals or anything

Top Bottom