• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

chris121580

Are you referring to
the Vectron segment
? Definitely a highlight, although as someone who played the first game, I was a little let down that
you didn't get another shot at returning to Vectron to exact revenge on those terrifying golems, or generally get a better context for what was going on down there—unless that's all locked behind 100% and I just don't know it yet, of course.

Yes, I am. The first time the spirits took over the Golems made me about jump out of my chair. I definitely did not see that coming. Crazy, exciting, and intense moment in the game. I also didn't quite understand why it would go to a blank screen and flash text like a dip set screen.

dralla

Never got into the first game but really enjoyed Heist so I gave this a shot. After three-ish hours it's pretty great. The worst part about it is the hideous icon on the Switch menu

Finished in 6:38 with 62%. All silver stars. Now I'm trying to get 100%.

Where's the secret in the
cave with the rising lava?
That's the only cave on my map without a checkmark. And are there a lot of artifacts outside the cave rooms? I still need ten and I feel like I've looked everywhere.

So, has anyone figured out what
"Sigillum Caelum et Infernum" does? I've 100% all of the maps and secrets, there's literally no ore/gems left anywhere on the map, and I have been wandering around tapping bits of the desert ground with my fists looking for what this is supposed to do...

I'll probably just go through it again for a better time... but.. hmm.. Oh! For those interested in quick leveling, I did a video explaining the best place to do that.

Also, I can't really give this game a perfect score because it does not seem to contain
Hats.
Although.. wow at some of the upgrades usefulness and the fact that, if you go to quit to the title screen, it will tell you how long it has been since the game last saved. Which more games should do.

This is just a guess:

Does it have something to do with the skull door in the sky of the Eastern desert?

Wait, what does the tier 8 upgrade "Mid-tile Express" for the Axe do? Increase my attack speed? Sure feels like it but I'm not sure if it's a placebo.

bounchfx

played an hour last night. god damn, this hooked me way more than the first. Not really sure why though. I just like the whole setup and feeling better. Really polished, well made game.

Finished in 6:38 with 62%. All silver stars. Now I'm trying to get 100%.

That's the only cave on my map without a checkmark. And are there a lot of artifacts outside the cave rooms? I still need ten and I feel like I've looked everywhere.

This is just a guess:

Does it have something to do with the skull door in the sky of the Eastern desert?

Oh! You should try...
using your grappling hook above the exit for that room and then waiting. Also, yeah. The Skull Door has the random "trial" area.

Shahadan

I remember fuck all about the first one but anyway this is amazing.

Also, the fact that they thought to assign a button to immediately target the city tube (and then target your last location) makes them smart people.

zroid

Banned
I'm being quickly reminded of why I liked the first game so much, while playing this. The gameplay loop is just so perfectly tuned. It's addictive and constantly rewarding. You always feel like you're making progress, both in terms of excavation and character growth.

I'm being quickly reminded of why I liked the first game so much, while playing this. The gameplay loop is just so perfectly tuned. It's addictive and constantly rewarding. You always feel like you're making progress, both in terms of excavation and character growth.

It makes the games very replayable too.

thumb

Banned
First impressions of Steam version : What a beautiful, fun game. And really polished, from what I can tell. Doesn't feel rushed and buggy.

epmode

I am having a very tough time deciding between Switch and PC. I don't use the portable mode that often but it's nice to have. On the other hand, PC brings forwards compatibility and a better controller...

How's performance on the Switch? Perfect 60 FPS?

How does the game run and look on the switch? Just got on yesterday and wanted to try something on it!

I am having a very tough time deciding between Switch and PC. I don't really use the portable mode that often but it's nice to have. On the other hand, PC brings forwards compatibility and a better controller...

haha. Same question I'm asking.

Plum

I am having a very tough time deciding between Switch and PC. I don't use the portable mode that often but it's nice to have. On the other hand, PC brings forwards compatibility and a better controller...

How's performance on the Switch? Perfect 60 FPS?

How does the game run and look on the switch? Just got on yesterday and wanted to try something on it!

haha. Same question I'm asking.

Check the OP under the "FAQ" section :). I'd copy and paste but it's a pain on mobile.

epmode

Thanks.

I guess I could go Switch now and PC later when it's on sale. Haven't been impressed by eShop sales in.. I've never been impressed by eShop sales.

tm24

Anyone know how to get the crack near the first trolly in tenacious trollies. Can't quite figure it out

Shahadan

Finished it. Well 62% of it I guess.
I'll probably play around a bit more and find puzzles I haven't done, but I don't think I'll try to re-do those I completed and missed a secret area. That was the only annoying thing to me here, the shortcuts inside the rooms reset so you have to do the whole thing again if you missed the secret the first time. Granted it's not that long for most of them but still.

Ravelle

I really love they went out of their way and went "You like going around your way while mining more faster? Here's a grappling hook and a Jackhammer and sticky bombs!"

Fireblend

Banned
For what it's worth, the game looks BEAUTIFUL on the Switch screen. Like, I knew the game was a looker from the pre-release videos, but WOW.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
My only complaint about the first was that it was too short. Looks like this one will be as well. Too bad.

This game went beyond my expectations. I wanted Dig sequel and Image & Form gave us Dig: Breath of the Desert. I am overwhelmed, by its content, there is so many places to visit, shrines to beat, cogs to gather, and so on. Playing it since yesterday like a madman.

I like artifacts very much, but I hope they'll bring hats from Heist!

Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but do I need to kill all enemies for a cave to be completed? I just started the game and went through a cave and did everything I thought could be done in there, including finding a secret spot, but I still can't get the check mark. The only thing I can think of was I never killed all the enemies in there in one run.

Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but do I need to kill all enemies for a cave to be completed? I just started the game and went through a cave and did everything I thought could be done in there, including finding a secret spot, but I still can't get the check mark. The only thing I can think of was I never killed all the enemies in there in one run.

Nope just finding all the items. There's probably a place you couldn't find because you don't have all the tools.

Just gems, cogs, and artifacts, from what I've played. If you fail in a challenge room and get bumped back to a checkpoint, you do need to collect the items again—they only get banked once you exit the challenge room back to the map. You don't need to do everything in one run, and a few secrets won't be available to you anyway until you get certain upgrades late in the game (like
aerial bomb-throwing, which is locked behind level 14
).

jariw

When some cool thing is just out of your reach and not even a running jump can get you up to it.

Image & Form pls

Jet engine
to the rescue.

My only complaint about the first was that it was too short. Looks like this one will be as well. Too bad.

This game makes any comparisons with the first game fruitless. It's really such a different kind of game, in so many ways.

thumb

Banned
Does the PC version support resolutions above 1080p and frame rates above 60fps?

I haven't tried resolutions above 1080p, but I am running well above 60fps just fine.

Edit - Reason I'm not just checking the resolutions is that I'm away from my PC.

Irminsul

I like the music in general, but the music playing in
the cave where you can enter Vectron
has some awesome Dark Ambient vibes and really sells the creepy atmosphere.

Chris R

I haven't tried resolutions above 1080p, but I am running well above 60fps just fine.

Edit - Reason I'm not just checking the resolutions is that I'm away from my PC.
Thanks, thinking about buying this now instead of waiting for the winter sale but want to enjoy it at 1440p144hz

jrcbandit

I have no idea how people finished the game in 4 hours and supposedly with at least 70% of the secrets, I have to wonder about internet exaggeration.... Only way that seems possible is with rushing and very little secrets found. I still haven't finished, I think it will take me like 10 hours or so to do.

Also, don't worry about completing all the caves until you have more upgrades. There are upgrades that make some MUCH more easier to do, like the one where you can't touch any buttons on the floor/walls/ceilings to get the relic - that is very difficult until you get a mid-to-late? game upgrade
the jet boots

Oh yeah, in the Eastern Temple
I found 3 urns to light hidden throughout the area for a switch/gate. I have no idea where this gate is, where should I be looking? This isn't the obvious gate with nearby urns I did earlier

mjc

I have no idea how people finished the game in 4 hours and supposedly with at least 70% of the secrets, I have to wonder about internet exaggeration.... Only way that seems possible is with rushing and very little secrets found. I still haven't finished, I think it will take me like 10 hours or so to do.

Also, don't worry about completing all the caves until you have more upgrades. There are upgrades that make some MUCH more easier to do, like the one where you can't touch any buttons on the floor/walls/ceilings to get the relic - that is very difficult until you get a mid-to-late? game upgrade
the jet boots

Some people blaze through games, people were effectively raid ready in Destiny 2 only like 48 hours after release a week or two ago. Nuts.

I just figured this one out by myself on my sweep towards 100%, and I was quite proud of finding the solution after many repeated attempts (which at least give you a raft of XP from all the enemies that are taken out by the lava). Someone else already posted the solution, but what I find interesting is how it was flagged, as everything else in the game is more or less fair about flagging secrets and it would have been strange for this to have been any different.

The background art in this challenge room has arrows pointing upwards at all the major bends. I was already thinking that the "wait out the lava and see if it falls" solution might work, but when I actually attempted it, I became sure it would be right. You see, right before the exit door up top, the background art continues to feature arrows pointing up. No secret exits on the ceiling, I knew from so many attempts—so the hookshot solution must be correct, and it was.

kizmah

Holy pickaxe this game is addicting! Over 6 hours in so far and I assume I am nearing the end. I don't want it to be over too soon but I just can't put it down. This game has such an amazing flow that as soon as I start to feel like it's perfect time to take a break something new opens up or I get a sweet upgrade that grants new abilities and I just want to see what's around that corner. And all of a sudden it's two hours later.

Oh, and it's such a looker on the Switch screen. Absolutely gorgeous game!

jariw

So uh, is this game basically "what if Terraria had a story mode?"

That's my initial impression.

Or is it something else entirely?

Not really. Most importantly: if Terraria had carefully crafted level design and platforming. Of course there are many other differences as well between the two games.

Some people blaze through games, people were effectively raid ready in Destiny 2 only like 48 hours after release a week or two ago. Nuts.

But 4 hours and 70% sounds virtually impossible. Since there are so few people who yet reached 100%, I'd doubt those numbers.

Never played the first Dig (or even a SteamWorld game at all), but I did GameXplain's preview and holy shit that first 45 minutes was all it took for this game to get its hooks in me. The gameplay loop is phenomenally addictive, and when I'm not playing it, I'm thinking of places I need to go back to with new abilities to see what I can find.

This game is the definition of a Metroidvania done right in every possible way. And, like, I'm also playing a new actual Metroid game right now but I always want to come back to Dig 2 first. Pretty sure I'm not going to be touching Samus Returns again until I've completed Dig 2 to my own satisfaction... it's just that good.

Also, the fantastic soundtrack makes Dig 2 one of the best pure chill-out games I think I've ever played. It's right up there with the PixelJunk Shooter series in that respect.

Love this game.

phanphare

Banned

the jet boots

I did that one with the hook shot and felt like a bad ass when I completed it only to find that extra bit at the end for not touching any lava then I left deflated

Top Bottom