• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

So, has anyone figured out what
"Sigillum Caelum et Infernum" does? I've 100% all of the maps and secrets, there's literally no ore/gems left anywhere on the map, and I have been wandering around tapping bits of the desert ground with my fists looking for what this is supposed to do...

Got it. For reference, I have all artifacts collected but not 100% map completion (missing one item in Yarrow and three in Archaea, if my arithmetic is right).

It was fairly obvious to me what to do from the clue, actually.
The item description in your catalogue of cog upgrades suggests that you should go to the windiest part of the desert and fly. So that's what I did: equipped the jet pack and just flew around over the desert, uncovering as much of the map as I could. Way up above the central part of the desert where the winds are the strongest and the rock tower the highest, there is a single island where you will find the entrance to a challenge dungeon.

That's as far as I've gotten, though, because
the dungeon itself, the Trial of Skillness, seems to be a test of advanced mechanics where your hookshot and jetpack are both disabled. And I'm already stuck at the second obstacle. Also, they neglected to put any exit doors in this place; only way out if you're stuck, it seems, is self-destruction.

I'm about 2-3 hours in - got it from steam. Played it to the
Temple of the Wind

Hmm.. I dunno. It feels okay? Make its the art style but I'm not loving it like how I loved SWD1? I also didnt love the art style of heist myself. It plays alright though so I look forward to spending more time with it. I absolutely loved SWD1.

my score based on my time so far would be about a 7/10.

Anyone know where the artifact is located in the sub-room in the temple with the rising lava?

Edit - Nevermind, already addressed on the previous page!

So at first I finished the game at 10 hours with 74% and 26/42 artifacts, and I'm now at a full 100% after almost exactly 3 additional hours—very little of it involving mopping up the challenge rooms and most of it consisting of hunting down a few last secret locations on the main maps.

The challenge rooms were the interesting half; sweeping the map, less so, as while you can get most of it done with a keen eye on the minimap (which often gives you secret entrances as a notch in an otherwise permanent block of terrain), this was very much a case of going up and down the main passage, up and down, up and down, hugging every indestructible wall and looking for glowing spots with a late-game lamp upgrade. A bit tedious, though judging from the thread on Samus Returns, some people miss that kind of approach to secret-finding. Still, it speaks volumes for the fairness of this game towards marking secrets that when I did locate the final hidden cogs at last, I thought, "Actually, that was well placed."

For those wondering, full 100% collection doesn't seem to add anything on top of merely collecting 42/42 artifacts, apart from the gold star on the completion screen after you defeat the final boss. Collecting the artifacts suffices to unlock the bonus content and 100% doesn't seem to do anything else. I tend to be on the slow side when it comes to these games, as I don't follow orders and poke around with the mechanics a lot just to see what I can do, so 13 hours is probably on the high end of what you can expect for a 100% clear.

At first I was kind of shocked that people were claiming first completions in excess of 70% at around 4-6 hours played, but in retrospect, I can see how it might be done: if you leave the quest markers on (I didn't), zip from one main objective to the next, and only sweep the challenge rooms once you have a full late-game suite of abilities, it probably could be done, since the late-game movement options are such a massive boost to how speedily you can get around, and short-circuit a few of the challenge room mechanics entirely. That's not my play style and I'm glad I didn't do that the first time through. It's a lengthier experience if you spend some time playing with the limited early-game toolkit just to see what you can do with it.

Anyway, that's done. On my initial completion, I did find that the main game was kind of anticlimactic in how quickly it was over, as it felt like I was just getting started. It left me thinking that the game could probably have used one additional boss fight somewhere in the middle. By now we know from both Dig 1 and Heist that boss quality isn't an issue for Image & Form. In Dig 2, however, we get:
the tutorial boss that you smash early on, the Prophet (who becomes a regular enemy later in the game), and Rosie
, and it feels like there's a gap in there in terms of both pacing and complexity, though maybe that was the role that
the Vectron escape
was meant to fill.

At the same time, the tightness of pacing really makes the game sing. Dig 2 is a very dense experience in its category of sub-10-hour platformers—no downtime, no tedium (until that final mop-up of the last 5% or so you missed), no grinding that isn't already in your path, just all forward momentum with mechanics that are fun from the moment they unlock and stay that way. It's short, but it's packed, and while it doesn't reach that many pinnacles and or hit that many big moments, it's incredibly consistent in that it's never bad. That's something one can rarely even say of games that are exceptional on the whole. There were a few places where I was irritated with aiming the bomb, as it didn't always go in the direction I wanted, but that's practically the only annoyance I can think of. I blew through this game in no time because it made me.

I definitely got the feeling of "That's it?" when I hit the end credits for the first time, but now that I've done everything (except the post-100% challenge), I'd say that for the full experience, a player should definitely get the checkmark on every cave, and probably go for all the artifacts as well. All the cogs and jewels on the map—well, that's optional; if it doesn't sound fun, not doing it is fine, and you won't miss out on anything.

Speaking of the end credits, do pay attention to the art:
the comic panels serve as an open-ended epilogue, the low-budget equivalent of an ending cinematic, and provide an interesting segue to the world of Heist.

jrcbandit

I think I'm missing a blueprint somewhere. I need the final blueprints for the
hook and jet engine
but the archaeologist collector guy says he will only give me one more blueprint at 42 artifacts (I'm at 28). So where do I get the additional blueprint from?

I think I'm missing a blueprint somewhere. I need the final blueprints for the
hook and jet engine
but the archaeologist collector guy says he will only give me one more blueprint at 42 artifacts (I'm at 28). So where do I get the additional blueprint from?

The ones you named can be found in the world (
in upgrade stations located in caves
); they're not what you get at 42/42, so you're missing two. Other blueprints can be obtained by speaking to certain NPCs both above and below ground, but from what you said, all of those should already be accounted for.

DirtyLarry

So torn as I am 110% into playing this game, so my following question if someone can answer it for me will determine if I pick it up now or at a later date. So any feedback is appreciated.

is this a game that is enjoyable and conducive to playing in "bite sized chunks?"
My gaming time is limited and right now most of it is spent playing Destiny 2 with my friends. We're all playing it because we're all playing it, meaning we've made a very loose between friends agreement to play since the others are.

I do not want to let them down so to speak, and if I pick this game up now and it requires longer sessions to be enjoyed I probably would do so. If it can be enjoyed in short bursts then there is no conflict and I can play both games.

And I do know it is a shirt game but I only get to play about 5 hours total a week on a good week. I would pick up on Switch which no doubt helps with shorter burst playing if the game is good for it.

So torn as I am 110% into playing this game, so my following question if someone can answer it for me will determine if I pick it up now or at a later date. So any feedback is appreciated.

is this a game that is enjoyable and conducive to playing in "bite sized chunks?"

Yes, absolutely. It's a play at your own pace. Many of the caves only take a few minutes to clear. And you can dig and mine for as little or long as you like.

big_erk

Didn't play the first one. But saw this one and liked how it looked. Purchased for my Switch and now I'm hooked. About 3 hours in and am loving it. Great game.

Kevtones

This game is excellent. Like, really excellent. Pretty much every aspect of the game is well thought out and the level design is occasionally brilliant. It uses its mechanics exceptionally well.

Not to get greedy but I would really love for these guys to get a stab at a 2D Nintendo platformer. Wario comes to mind.

Quite surprised how much I'm enjoying this game.

I'm missing 7 artifacts. I feel like I've searched the entire map twice and can't find them. Is there an easy way to find these things at the end game?

I'm missing 7 artifacts. I feel like I've searched the entire map twice and can't find them. Is there an easy way to find these things at the end game?

Are you looking in the right areas? When you go to the menu in each, it'll tell you the percentage you've found all the secrets. So it'll at least narrow down your search. I was missing 3 after the credits ran on my playthrough and most of them ended up being blocks I just overlooked. Having the blueprint for the lantern is the most helpful.

Also, post-game:
holy hell, this trials are hard! I'm completely stuck on the Trial of Skillness. The others seem a bit easier, at least, but I feel like I'm halfway through so I don't want to self-destruct and try the others.

Fliesen

Big fan of how this game caters to completionists. There's always a certain "tell" to where secrets may lie. Throughout the story you get a drip-feed of items that make it easier for you to navigate hard to reach areas, but also find secrets a little bit easier.

It doesn't overwhelm you by giving you these features right from the start.
Neither does it allow too much free exploration at any time. Like, sure - you can go out of your way to explore other areas, but eventually there'll be some kind of hinderance to block your way, be it a huge chasm, some kind of statue, a lever you can't hit or an out-of reach patch of diggable soil.

Such a smart and polished game.

kizmah

It's addictive and you're gonna want to keep digging but it's gameplay loop is perfect for bite sized sessions. And since you're getting it on Switch you're even more good to go if playing in short burst is your option.

bronk

Banned
I loved the first one so much. I bought the physical double pack with Heist. I still need to play Heist. Waiting patiently for the ps4 release. Impressions sound great.

jariw

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the playtime in the save file doesn't reflect the actual time played. It seems like any unsaved gameplay that leads to death+respawn isn't counted.

Are you looking in the right areas? When you go to the menu in each, it'll tell you the percentage you've found all the secrets. So it'll at least narrow down your search. I was missing 3 after the credits ran on my playthrough and most of them ended up being blocks I just overlooked. Having the blueprint for the lantern is the most helpful.

Thanks! I found them all. :)

giapel

Ok, this game is seriously amazing. Controls are perfect. Graphics are glorious. The exploration is really rewarding and the pacing of it all (so far anyway) is absolutely spot on. It really shows that if you stick to your guns and believe in your game design you can really elevate it to Goty levels.
Every element is pitched perfectly, it really feels like the pinacle of a genre(not sure what the genre is, but hey)
Well done!

I didn't know this was going to be a traditional Metroidvania until I read someone mention it a couple of days ago. I'm definitely there day one when it comes out on Vita now! Loved the first game and enjoyed Heist a lot as well.

Ok, this game is seriously amazing. Controls are perfect. Graphics are glorious. The exploration is really rewarding and the pacing of it all (so far anyway) is absolutely spot on. It really shows that if you stick to your guns and believe in your game design you can really elevate it to Goty levels.
Every element is pitched perfectly, it really feels like the pinacle of a genre(not sure what the genre is, but hey)
Well done!
Well said!

jrcbandit

Finally finished and really enjoyed the game. Went ahead and scoured the land for the 42 artifacts to
unlock post-game trials content
. But I am giving up, it's just too hard lol
Trial of boxes was super easy, but I can't get very far into trial of skill, and trial of rockets I keep dying before getting to the very end
. I guess I should have held on to Gems/ores so I could get discard them for health ;p.

jrcbandit

I'm hearing like 4 hours if you're quick about it.
Nah, that's underselling it. Average game length will be 6 to 10 hours. 4 hours is only possible if you rush towards objectives and don't explore or do many of the cave content until near the end game after unlocking all the new travel mechanics, trivializing them ;p.

Nah, that's underselling it. Average game length will be 6 to 10 hours. 4 hours is only possible if you rush towards objectives and don't explore or do many of the cave content until near the end game after unlocking all the new travel mechanics, trivializing them ;p.

Why do you think I said "quick about it."

jariw

I'm hearing like 4 hours if you're quick about it.

FWIW, the play time in the save file is not the same as the time played (since all playtime isn't recorded in the save file). Also, while a 4 hour speed run would perhaps be possible if you know where all entrances are in advance, it's not realistic for a first play through.

So torn on where to buy this, switch or PS4.

On one hand, it seems like the perfect game to have on switch. On the other, I buy pretty much everything I play on PS4 to the point it feels like the real home of my library with the other consoles being peripherals for exclusives thus far, plus I do like trophy collecting.

Can't decide...

Ravelle

So torn on where to buy this, switch or PS4.

On one hand, it seems like the perfect game to have on switch. On the other, I buy pretty much everything I play on PS4 to the point it feels like the real home of my library with the other consoles being peripherals for exclusives thus far, plus I do like trophy collecting.

Can't decide...

Go Switch, you won't regret it.

It's so great just picking up the Switch and boot it up for a quick session, it also looks fantastic both in handheld mode.

It doesn't have trophies though, which is a bummer and weird considering Nintendo loves to have collectables in their games.

zroid

Banned
Having put a couple hours into each of handheld and docked modes, got to say this game is way better on the handheld. Just picking it up, making a couple trips into the mine, and putting it into sleep is perfect; never gets old. I think I'm done playing on the TV for the rest of the game.

I've now about 6 hours in - trying to clear the
3xtemples
at the moment. That one level
the floor is lava
took a fair few tries until I realised the hookshot you can hold onto it and it will cling you to the wall.

getting into the game a lot more now. Can't quite recall everything about SW1 but
could he fly? because now she can

its not a 4 hour game.

I'm stuck on completing the
chamber of arrows
. Can't figure out how to get that green check mark.
there appears to be a little spot on the mini map but I can't access it. I have the jet engines and grenade launcher.

JonnyKong

chamber of arrows
there appears to be a little spot on the mini map but I can't access it. I have the jet engines and grenade launcher.

I'm in there as well. I can see the orange square on the map telling me where it is (looks like a lever), but I don't know how to get there.

chamber of arrows

I'm in there as well. I can see the orange square on the map telling me where it is (looks like a lever), but I don't know how to get there.

I was stuck on that for a while as well, but
the pull-switch is a red herring and even after completing the game 100% I still don't know what it's for. You don't need it for the checkmark. The secret I missed was tucked all the way on the left side of the long hallway that shoots two arrows from left to right, above where the arrows fire. Let me know if you figure out how to get to that switch in the middle, if it's accessible at all and not just an oversight or temporary fixture the developers forgot to remove.

Bersi

Any hint for the tick boom room?,do i need some special item? I feel like i've got all of them at this point.

Edit: i'm a fucking idiot,it was super easy lol.

Top Bottom