• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter & Friends 2017 Swimsuit Special announced

Aw, that's a bit of a shame if it sticks to just 2. Would've been cool if there was an entire beefcake version instead to go alongside the pinup version, even if it was just 12 pages.

If you dont mind PMing me the preview from the artist I'd apreciate that cheers
PM sent.

Malyse

I can't tell who's more disappointed: the people who thought this was SF5 DLC or the people who knew what it was only to be bombarded with … questionable art choices.

sfswimsuitspecial201716uk0.jpg

Please add this swimsuit to the game, Capcom. All her current outfits are underwhelming. I will pay you!
Remember to give her some shoes though. I dont like her in-game giant feet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There are plenty of good western artists to draw this kind of fanart, in this case, they did not choose wisely.

Inuhanyou

Those look SO much better than the 2017 one.

I wonder why Udon doesn't just commission the same artists to do their swimsuit specials. Robert Porter for example always does great work. Hiring crappy artists for something like this just makes the entire affair look cheap

RM8

This sort of just exemplifies why I'm not too keen on SF as of late. There's too much of a obsession with fan service (often involving fetishes, too). Dead or Alive always had the fan service thing covered. I'm not a fan of DoA, but i'm fine with that series alone being the main competitive fighter with a focus on objectification but it's clear that Capcom wants a piece of that as well.

There's no class to it. The FGC, while full of different minorities, it's infamously seen as a "boys only club". This sort of stuff, in the biggest fighting game franchise of all, certainly doesn't help.

I feel like Capcom teaming up with Udon was the really turning point into this. Udon mainly focuses on blatant fan service that feels like a disservice to the potential of Street Fighter and the FGC in general.
I love SF but yeah, I'm honestly tired of this. I don't know why they decided they had to go full DOA.

Inuhanyou

I love SF but yeah, I'm honestly tired of this. I don't know why they decided they had to go full DOA.

Capcom has always had fanservice of their female characters by artists from the inception. Its not exactly new

What's changed is your tolerance to it

There's no class to it. The FGC, while full of different minorities, it's infamously seen as a "boys only club". This sort of stuff, in the biggest fighting game franchise of all, certainly doesn't help

If this swimsuit special is indicative of a "boys club" then, it must be a pretty darn inclusive "boys club"...because at least one of the contributors is female:
https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/859116241776066561

Hence why I said I don't know why they had to go full DOA.

They didn't "go" anywhere. They've always been there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this thread is not safe for work gaf!

RM8

They didn't go anywhere. They've always been there.
This is so disingenuous, lol. Literally everyone got a boob job in SFV. Chun's sleeveless costume lost a ton of fabric. Juri lost the vaguely taekwondo-ish costume in favour of what is basically bodypaint. Mika is pretty much topless. You can put DOA bikinis on most of the female cast. Laura is Laura. It was a pretty big jump from SFIV, where I'd say Poison was the only SFV-like sexualized female.

The Orz

Let's not place all the blame on Capcom here; this is all UDON. Their artists can CG paint eye-catching illustrations for sure, but that line art...oof. Just one of the many reasons I'm not a huge UDON fan--though they did bring some of the Street Fighter and DarkStalkers manga over to the West (albeit a bit roughly) so they're not all bad.

The Vampirella homage would make a fine print, though.

EDIT: After looking at the cover again, I take it back. I think I like the idea of a Morrigan/Vampirella homage better than the actual execution. Frazetta it is not.

This is so disingenuous, lol. Literally everyone got a boob job in SFV. Chun's sleeveless costume lost a ton of fabric. Juri lost the vaguely taekwondo-ish costume in favour of what is basically bodypaint. Mika is pretty much topless. You can put DOA bikinis on most of the female cast. Laura is Laura. It was a pretty big jump from SFIV, where I'd say Poison was the only SFV-like sexualized female.

Juri's top in SFIV is a small napkin that covers only a portion of her chest and Mika's SFA3 costume features individually wrapped boobs with nipple hearts. I don't think its disingenuous at all to say the fan service has always been there. You could make an argument for the increased breast size (Chun-Li in particular), but given the wonky proportions featured in the designs in general it fits well enough. At least, in the game itself. Character select profiles draw significant more attention to the oddities.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hope they invited Wolverine so he can grill them up some sausages using the knives he keeps inside his body.

KiJdPnm.jpg

I mean, they've also had swimsuit fanservice as well

Some of it drawn by women, no less...for example, Kinu Nishimura:
(In other news, now we know the inspiration for Ibuki's summer costume in SF5...)
1900752a178f80e67774706ac2f69cf5.jpg

Cammy's winpose.

The end.

Ploid 3.0

What the heck, at least make the last version the cover. Good thing it doesn't effect me, but man that's a bit much. It's just so weird.

RM8

Juri's top in SFIV is a small napkin that covers only a portion of her chest and Mika's SFA3 costume features individually wrapped boobs with nipple hearts. I don't think its disingenuous at all to say the fan service has always been there. You could make an argument for the increased breast size (Chun-Li in particular), but given the wonky proportions featured in the designs in general it fits well enough. At least, in the game itself. Character select profiles draw significant more attention to the oddities.
You're attacking an argument I didn't make (that SF has never had sexy female designs).

Cammy's winpose.

The end.
Super%2BStreet%2BFighter%2BII%2B-%2BThe%2BNew%2BChallengers%2B%2528USA%2529_00008.png

pYAI7ta.gif

No escalation whatsoever :p

Dang, this is quite a decrease in my tolerance for fanservice!

I remember Ryan Kinnaird's fan art in PSM mags for back in the 80s. He's doing official stuff for Capcom now? He hasn't gotten better.

You're attacking an argument I didn't make (that SF has never had sexy female designs).

Super%2BStreet%2BFighter%2BII%2B-%2BThe%2BNew%2BChallengers%2B%2528USA%2529_00008.png

pYAI7ta.gif

Good god, I keep forgetting that garbage Laura costume is in the game.

This has a nude Chun Li shower scene and various fan service shots.

510CD957BGL.jpg

Capcom has always been about the fan service. Its actually toned down now we don't have any nude Laura official anime or art.

Technology limited them during STII

Top Bottom