• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Higher my expectation about the story then.
The direction is really mature and is telling a story about a robot trying to develop a sense of purpose and identity after a war and personal loss.

The story itself isn't anything new but the direction is out-of-this-world. Takes the premise very seriously and feels like something fresh from the studio.

Kansoku

DDxZ2a5V0AIQIc9.jpg

(source)

I'm not interested in Amemiya or Imaishi, but I'm interested in getting more information about Darling.

More info will be out on Wednesday.

Also, pics with godawful quality

The direction is really mature and is telling a story about a robot trying to develop a sense of purpose and identity after a war and personal loss.

The story itself isn't anything new but the direction is out-of-this-world. Takes the premise very seriously and feels like something fresh from the studio.

Nice to see about that then.
Btw every time i saw the poster it remind me Assassin's Creed lol.

Who wasn't asking for a FLCL cinematic universe?

I mean, I have the same attitude towards it as I do with all the remakes/sequels we're getting right now, and not just concerning anime. I don't think we need all these remakes/sequels, and I do wish we were getting more original works instead. That said, they're coming, and some will probably be good, some will be bad, and some will probably be completely forgettable. (Does anyone remember the Robocop reboot? Really, it happened I swear.) One aspect that I've never agreed with that I'm sure is probably present here, and that's fine, is the idea that these reboots/sequels can ruin the original work. The last Evangelion rebuild film was terrible, but I still really like Evangelion. If the upcoming Code Geass sequel sucks, I don't think fans are gonna turn on that series as a whole. It'll be like Eureka Seven AO, it doesn't exist.

Jarmel

Banned

Can someone translate this? My internet usage capability is really restricted here.
Is there yuribaiting or theme parks or siscon demon hunters?
None of that. It's really different in tone compared to anything they've done before. Maybe closer to TSR but it's also SOL.

I'm actually having difficulty thinking of anime shows that are similar to this. Maybe Plastic Memories? However it's more somber in some ways and this looks to have little romance.

Narag

Thanks.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i dont know about this

Would rather have a bunch of new talent getting a shot at something than a bunch of old talent getting trapped in something that'll inevitability be a let down after the original.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Thanks.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i dont know about this
I mean the right thing to do is just to take the trailer at face value for now and say that it looks like crap that doesn't understand the original material at all.

Jarmel

Banned
Would rather have a bunch of new talent getting a shot at something than a bunch of old talent getting trapped in something that'll inevitability be a let down after the original.
However some of these guys aren't new at all. Uemura did Dantalion. Not to mention there isn't a strong director guiding all of them to have some sort of vision.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone translate this? My internet usage capability is really restricted here.
None of that. It's really different in tone compared to anything they've done before. Maybe closer to TSR but it's also SOL.

I'm actually having difficulty thinking of anime shows that are similar to this. Maybe Plastic Memories? However it's more somber in some ways and this looks to have little romance.
I was just going to check this out and then saw it was an AX only thing. lol

However some of these guys aren't new at all. Uemura did Dantalion. Not to mention there isn't a strong director guiding all of them to have some sort of vision.

I wonder how Uemura feeling when he leave Gainax and spend few years to finally direct a show with decent sales, then IG ask him to direct a classic Gainax show's new season lol.

duckroll

is there more Under the Dog coming or am i missing something here

Katsuyuki Motohiro is a live action director who got famous because Bayside Shakedown was a box office hit in Japan. He now gets involved with anime projects as a "chief director" to hype shit up in interviews in search of the next big payday when he attaches himself to a hit.

See: Psycho-Pass, Atom the Beginning, FLCL2, FLCL3, Gundam Wing II

I expect it's going for something akin to Space Dandy, with a lot of freedom offered to each indivdual episode director - which was actually something that happened in the original FLCL as well to some extent. I don't have a problem with that approach.

Narag

Katsuyuki Motohiro is a live action director who got famous because Bayside Shakedown was a box office hit in Japan. He now gets involved with anime projects as a "chief director" to hype shit up in interviews in search of the next big payday when he attaches himself to a hit.

I didn't realize how much he actually tainted.

I thought you were talking about Trigger.

duckroll

I expect it's going for something akin to Space Dandy, with a lot of freedom offered to each indivdual episode director - which was actually something that happened in the original FLCL as well to some extent. I don't have a problem with that approach.

I wouldn't assume so much for a project which seems to solely exists because of the search for perceived profits.

I thought you were talking about Trigger.

Nah, Trigger is just boring because they're predictable and pander to the same tired fanbase over and over. It's not a scam!

I wouldn't assume so much for a project which seems to solely exists because of the search for perceived profits.

That's why Toonami and Production I.G. first commissioned FLCL 2/3, I'm sure, but the production didn't have pull in a bunch of talented animators to work on it if all everyone on it wanted to do was shit whatever out to exploit the nostalgia of Western anime fans. At least, there are a lot of Japanese animators who are excitedly posting about the project on Twitter. I'm not saying this'll turn out good in the end, but I do like seeing animators getting to work on things they're enthusiastic about.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'd be excited for something eclectic if I felt like there'd be actual talent attracted to this project, but I'm not seeing it here.

Expectations are being dialed way down.
Ikehata : )

I don't know that there's some kind of big name director who would swoop in and save a project like this so I don't know that people were expecting...

duckroll

That's why Toonami and Production I.G. first commissioned FLCL 2/3, I'm sure, but the production didn't have pull in a bunch of talented animators to work on it if all everyone on it wanted to do was shit whatever out to exploit the nostalgia of Western anime fans. At least, there are a lot of Japanese animators who are excitedly posting about the project on Twitter. I'm not saying this'll turn out good in the end, but I do like seeing animators getting to work on things they're enthusiastic about.

I'm sorry maybe I missed something. Where are the talented animators?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom