• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People falling for the call me by my first name romance meme just because it's Monogatari...

blurr

It sort of surprised me, guess I'm not really versed with romance tropes. I would point out that Monogatari's tendency to fit in a romantic date episode right before a major arc begins/concludes doesn't entirely sit well with me. These moments end up being a tad predictable but hey, I'm glad there was an element of surprise despite that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Owarimonogatari Season 2, Episode 2:

This episode continues a dynamic that I have always found to be one of the most interesting in the Monogatari series and that is the Senjogahara-Araragi romance though probably not for the same reasons as most others. The actual romance doesn't really do it for me mainly because I don't like either of these people all that much. It is a bit more academic but I can appreciate that the coupling is messy and awkward and for a lack of better terminology real then a lot of anime romance. I especially enjoy it because the romance is the logical conclusion to the harem dynamic that few of those series ever dare to tread even on the basis of the initial hook up. Indeed we get a monumental step forward in their relationship as a new level of intimacy is introduced and the apprehension that can cause. Also the build towards I suppose is the final countdown between Ougi and Gean is still marching though it all feels a bit arbitrary since I am not sure why this showdown has to happen when it happens and such.

More Soara please https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kImlu0YDmgo
DHG0VNdVwAAfV4m.jpg:small
DHG0XxbVwAE6c3V.jpg:small

Narag

The Reflection 4

This is a nice complement to the recent MHA Stain arc as while that displayed the long term institutional issues, this ep touched on the society adjusting to a superhuman population. Ian already resenting I-Guy's newfound fame coupled with his inability to function as a performer due to his power is in opposition of his attempt to commercialize heroism. There's little doubt that commercialization will win and this tainted version of heroism could, iin turn, lead to the issues on display in MHA's society.

duckroll

Little Witch Academia TV - Episodes 12-13

So for the end of the first season they decided to do something that's closer to the originals where there's a special event, Akko tries to do something ridiculous. and then something something power of friendship. Except none of it really feels earned. Akko is too stupid in the TV series, her magic is presented as being so bad, and even the solutions to her problems aren't so much friendship but rather getting a cheat sheet from Ursula. It's not that satisfying, but at least the direction is kinda fun. The transformations are still a joy to watch.

So... having finished the first season on Netflix... here's how I would rank the episodes:

Actually pretty damn good: Ep3, 5, 7-8
Not bad: Ep1-2, 4, 6, 11-13
Kinda lame: Ep9, 10

The best episodes so far are the ones which play with the supporting characters and settings in creative and unusual ways which end up having really fun animation to have them up, which is Trigger's strong point. The worst episodes are the ones which rely on a single joke stretched over an entire episode, and use misunderstandings as a clutch.

Looking forward to season 2 next week!

Little Witch Academia TV - Episodes 12-13

So for the end of the first season they decided to do something that's closer to the originals where there's a special event, Akko tries to do something ridiculous. and then something something power of friendship. Except none of it really feels earned. Akko is too stupid in the TV series, her magic is presented as being so bad, and even the solutions to her problems aren't so much friendship but rather getting a cheat sheet from Ursula. It's not that satisfying, but at least the direction is kinda fun. The transformations are still a joy to watch.

So... having finished the first season on Netflix... here's how I would rank the episodes:

Actually pretty damn good: Ep3, 5, 7-8
Not bad: Ep1-2, 4, 6, 11-13
Kinda lame: Ep9, 10

The best episodes so far are the ones which play with the supporting characters and settings in creative and unusual ways which end up having really fun animation to have them up, which is Trigger's strong point. The worst episodes are the ones which rely on a single joke stretched over an entire episode, and use misunderstandings as a clutch.

Looking forward to season 2 next week!

I'm looking forward to your further impressions.

The Reflection 4

This is a nice complement to the recent MHA Stain arc as while that displayed the long term institutional issues, this ep touched on the society adjusting to a superhuman population. Ian already resenting I-Guy's newfound fame coupled with his inability to function as a performer due to his power is in opposition of his attempt to commercialize heroism. There's little doubt that commercialization will win and this tainted version of heroism could, iin turn, lead to the issues on display in MHA's society.

I dont understand how america passed a national database of reflected, i would think the country would be against any sort of registered database of a group of individuals.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On Episode 45

What?! Really the mecha kinship stone, for reals?
How did Cheval get it but not Lute, I thought for sure Lute would somehow awaken and form kinship with the white dragon, this is bad.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 18

Episode was all talk but easily the most interesting episode of the series so far. Seeing the impact of Stain's ideology and where it came from being handled so well was delightful as these events don't feel like they've taken place in a vacuum. They've caused a shift in how the world will operate in the future. It was great that Stain's charisma was mentioned too. It feels rare to get an event as disruptive as this in a show and without that charisma, it couldn't have been managed.

Princess Principal 6 - Father's day

We already are at three dramatic dad stories for our protagonists, jeez. It wasn't that good of a episode to be honest, yeah
it was tragic, but I didn't really 'felt' it. What I felt was that It had a tad manipulative tone.

mankoto

Girls und Panzer - 1

I never heard of this until the PS4 game was announced. Finally had time to sit down and check out what it actually was. I'd love to know how presumably most(?) schools have tanks lying around ready for use as part as a school club. Or even how those tanks were funded to begin with. Better yet, how did this turn into a very well respected women's sport?

If this is what Haifuri took inspiration from (or at least it seems that way), I'm down. I kinda liked that show, so maybe I'll like this one to.

Kyuur

Hero Academia latest

This was alright, I'd have preferred a more even split than the entire second half focused on one person though.

Tsurezure Children latest

Still hilariously adorable. President x Smoker is the worst couple but the Comedy Gag duo is the best so it balanced out. I think this is honestly the best gag centric anime since Nichijou/Nichibros. I can't decide if its the perfect length or I want more!

Made in Abyss latest

That monster and the track that accompanied it, amazing. Ozen and Maruruk are both fantastic characters and I love the attention given to the design of the camp. I wonder if the series is going to end with the grave at the 4th layer, seems like they've set it up to be a good interim goal that isn't them making it all the way down.

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episode 6

This was a poor episode. Everything from the premise to the execution felt off. The emotional beats aren't effectively sold here, and furthermore the backstory and the nature of the mission made very little logical sense to me. The actions of every character here would draw attention to what they're doing which is the opposite of what espionage is about. Even what the villains did made no sense. After last week's exciting episode this is a stumble. The "action" sequence had solid animation though, even though the direction of the episode overall felt really flat.

Owarimonogatari was saving this season. And after the announcement that even 5he off season stuff gets animated, the Monogatari train knows no brakes

JCG

I haven't seen the episode myself, but I heard that the Joker Game guy worked on the latest Princess Principal. Is that true?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal Episode 6:

Yea, this is the weakest episode of the series by far and it comes down to the fact that Dorothy's father is still an abusive drunk at the end of the day and really didn't redeem himself in my eyes.

mankoto

Girls und Panzer - 2

sTHT9ao.jpg

Now I don't know the first thing about tanks, nor am I a mechanic. But if you told me this thing still works I'd call you a liar.

Something seems off with the fact that driving a tank is seen as this huge deal when nobody has the slightest idea how to actually drive one. Looks like we meet the fifth member of the team as well. I don't see how someone so sheepish can be a part of something like this (especially since we see her again at the end of the episode asleep in the battlefield), but I'll see soon enough.

duckroll

Princess Principal Episode 6:

Yea, this is the weakest episode of the series by far and it comes down to the fact that Dorothy's father is still an abusive drunk at the end of the day and really didn't redeem himself in my eyes.

I don't think the story tries to redeem him or anything though. He's a shit. Redemption isn't required. Why this episode sucked balls imo, is because it was a fucking stupid mission. Like, this guy is a drunk loser who is deep in debt and already compromised all over. Any decent agent would have been able to get close to him and complete the mission. Why risk anything by sending someone he -actually- knows? Dumb right? If they wanted to tell this story better, they should have made him an actual agent who wouldn't let strangers get close to him, and add a layer of intrigue.

Considering how ~important~ the macguffin this week was, I'm also surprised that Mr Normandy is okay with such low quality outsourcing. It's really a competition of incompetence here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Is the cipher actually important? Really the mission was seemed to be a frame device to have Dorothy's backstory episode above all else.

duckroll

It's presented as important enough to pull an agent on Operation Changling on it, even though there's no relation to their main objective. In terms of long term plotting it is probably fucking nothing. Yes, it's a framing device to tell Dorothy's story. It's just a shitty shit.

Qurupeke

Princess Principal 6

Weird ending, I don't know if I'm supposed to feel bad or something, but I don't. Anyway, seems like the team introductions are pretty much over, unless they dedicate an episode on Beatrice and her father, which wouldn't be too surprising. The second half of the series should be interesting.

Welcome to the Ballroom 6

I miss Hyodo kun.

Everyones poor blistered feet, crying :( I can only imagine their backs are the same way if competitive dancing really has everyone bumping into each other like pinballs.

Knight's & Magic

Time skip mania, but Ill miss their middle school days. Kid is amazing.

Clean Aoyama Episode 7

Very boring episode, there was 0 full minutes of soccer.

Sterok

Princess Principal 6

Why risk Dorothy, a major operative on a very important mission, on a task involving someone she knows? Especially when he's got a connection to the Duke of Normandy? That can easily bring too much attention to her. It's not like this guy was smart enough to not have loose lips with a different agent. And Duke, why trust this idiot with an important mission? Going 3 for 5 on daddy issues is a little much. At least Dorothy and Beatrice being close was nice.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I do like that
the Princess basically wants to take over England to legalize and normalize LGBT relationships.

JCG

Discotek is releasing the first Ashita No Joe Compilation film, and the Cyborg 009 tv series.

Great news about Cyborg 009. As for Ashita no Joe...I think there was already a weird random release of the first compilation some years back, but I may still pick this one up if it's a real upgrade.

mankoto

Girls und Panzer - 3

Uw5OX6g.jpg

Man, this show's lore is running deep.

So what's the best way to wake up a friend that can't wake up? Using a tank and firing a round right in front of their house of course. Don't worry about the neighbors though. They'll understand. Looks like we get to see a new team too as we're headed to our first team on team battle. Considering the tea emblem on their tanks, their leader being blond, and the fact that their coats are red, it's pretty clear who they're supposed to be. This will be fun. I guess this whole tank = beauty thing is a world renowned thing if this is truly the case. But hell, this goes back to some of the question back in episode one of how is all of this being funded. It sounds like absolute insanity.

Discotek is releasing the first Ashita No Joe Compilation film, and the Cyborg 009 tv series.

Love you Discotek. :D

They also announced that they're working with team four star for the official dub of the anime movie "Hells"

No idea what that movie is like, but it's cool to see Team Four Star getting official dub work

Owarimonogatari 2 - all of it

Oh boy, that's quite a lot to take in. I immediately repeated the part with the constellations and how they mirror the characters and all. Felt like you'd lose out on important information when not focusing on the subs for a second. Being fluent in Japanese must make this show so much better than it already is :/

All in all, that was pretty damn good. I like how fairly structured and thought through the overarching story of Bakemono & co. appears to be. Never had high expectations in that regard, so this culmination of a couple plot threads is nice. Didn't see all that Ougi and Gaen business ending up where it did either, though it makes sense that it was primarily about Koyomi himself.

Made in abyss is 6 episodes in, how is it so far? Specifically, is the aspect that was holding me back after the spoilers from the Manga not as prevalent in the Anime? (aka the child nudity)

Qurupeke

Made in abyss is 6 episodes in, how is it so far? Specifically, is the aspect that was holding me back after the spoilers from the Manga not as prevalent in the Anime? (aka the child nudity)

About what you mention, other than a short cut at episode 2 (the naked punishment, in case you've seen it mentioned), there are a couple of scenes or so that the protagonists are naked/half naked. Also, it feels like in every episode there will be a line or two about peeing or the robot's penis, which is rather weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom