• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Gundam the Origin V - Blue Balls Maximus

Why Sunrise? Why? You spend 70+ minutes building up the Loum battle, everything is leading to it, there's great character work, lots of dramatic tension, the Black Tri-Stars are there, Char is showboating, soooooooooo good. And then. You have Char take off in an elaborate overdramatic launch sequence, fly into the camera, and the credits roll? Jesus. This should be a war crime.

Hamon singing is A+++. Right next to Origin III, this is probably a really close second best entry.

LotusHD

Banned
MHA S2 25

I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me that Shigaraki looked creepier without a disembodied hand gripping his face, but here we are.

Has nothing on the manga version:

latest

vkrili

I can't get over how boring the art for Hero Academia is.

I mean, they just draw the villain with his hands in his pockets!

Daemul

The promotion image is a bit misleading, but this is actually Yamada's Sound Euphonium movie focused on Mizore and Nozomi as announced earlier.

Ah, Hibike Euphonium. Even though it never really fully resonated with me whilst watching it, the drama that series caused will live on forever in my memory.

On topic, I never would have thought that Mizore and Nozomi would get their own movie, they're the last characters I'd pick.

To quote another poster, "Who asked for this?"

Man, as interesting as the Love Live series has always looked to me, fans of the franchise have always told me that it isn't a franchise which you can enter and just focus on the anime alone. The anime is just one layar, and not even the best layar, and you need to keep track of countless events, collabs, raibus, side stories, etc if you want the full experience.

Which is why I've never even tried to get into it.

Man, as interesting as the Love Live series has always looked to me, fans of the franchise have always told me that it isn't a franchise which you can enter and just focus on the anime alone. The anime is just one layar, and not even the best layar, and you need to keep track of countless events, collabs, raibus, side stories, etc if you want the full experience.

I got forced to get into LL after accidently getting a LL figurine out of a crane game in Akiba last year and I enjoyed the LL anime despite not digging into the other parts of the multiformat franchise.
Hardcore fans will always tell you to dig into something as deep as possible but it's not a requirement at all.

-

Episode 00 of Side M is the closest thing we will ever get to another 765 anime (ML anime never). Also male producer. Sad

Daemul

Yuru Yuri OVA's and Season 3 - End

Having enjoyed the first two seasons I was really interested in seeing what difference the studio change would make, and one thing that I noticed immediately was the change in the OP style. I hadn't really gotten attached to the title cards, but their removal caught my eye.

In terms of the actual content, one big change was main protagonist, or the character jokingly referred to as the main protagonist, actually having relevancy and not just being used for jokes. Akari actually did something, and it shocked me.

Another big change was the obvious streamlining of the slapstick humour that dominated seasons 1 and 2, with TYO Animations transitioning the show to a more traditional SoL anime with comedy elements. All the characters felt like they had mellowed out and become calmer, with the reactions to events being far less over exaggerated.

This change in style didn't bother me, I was still able to enjoy the show as much as I had done before, since SoL with comedy elements makes up 90% of the anime I watch anyway, but I can see why people would see it as a step down and muted. It would be very interesting to see if a 4th season would follow season 3's style, or revert back.

All in all, I'm happy with Yuru Yuri, and I've now started properly reading the manga. There are some parts I've come across already which I would be very interested in seeing animated.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

You've been lied to.

Love Live, the original (Sunshine does expect you to have seen the original first) is really easy to get into.

In fact, I'd say it is the most welcoming show in the "idol genre" since it's not really about the industry, but instead the idol aspect is just a school based activity, so it's very much about the characters themselves. In fact, the type of shows it's actually similar to is sports anime - individual wants to take up an activity, ropes in friends, more join the group and they compete to be the best.

The anime stands perfectly on its own. In fact, other outlets like the manga and game have their own completely different storylines so you can't even see them as part of the same experience.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of elitist hogwash by people thinking they are better because they listened to some radio shows.

Joe Molotov

Speaking of which, it is actually impossible to watch Idolmaster without watching Puchimas. Puchimas is the only thing that makes sense.

Given that it's a japanese multimedia project, I pretty much considered everything outside the anime as an extra, considering for people without any language knowledge would need to rely on passionate fans. Really, it only comes down to if someone really wants to dig deep on their own if they want more.

I'm currently showcasing Love Live to friends (because they actually requested it) so I kinda throw what I know into the mix every now and again. We enjoy watching them do stupid things and kinda get into the song
Snow Halation well though.... which will be in the next session

You've been lied to.

The anime stands perfectly on its own. In fact, other outlets like the manga and game have their own completely different storylines so you can't even see them as part of the same experience.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of elitist hogwash by people thinking they are better because they listened to some radio shows.

Yup, this is true. Watch it!

You've been lied to.

Love Live, the original (Sunshine does expect you to have seen the original first) is really easy to get into.

In fact, I'd say it is the most welcoming show in the "idol genre" since it's not really about the industry, but instead the idol aspect is just a school based activity, so it's very much about the characters themselves. In fact, the type of shows it's actually similar to is sports anime - individual wants to take up an activity, ropes in friends, more join the group and they compete to be the best.

this is very much true, love live (the first two seasons and movie) are very much a complete work and very easy to get into. You dont need to memorise calls, seiyuu nicknames or watch the lives or the niconamas to get into LL those just enhanse the experience, whoever tells you otherwise is bsing you. Sunshine on the otherhand assumes you have watched LL and some of its narritive hooks are dependent on some familiarity with the previous work.

Made in Abyss END

What the fuck.
Mitty backstory actually brought tears. That was heart-wrenching. I'm glad Riko is back, I wonder if her hand is permanently unusable now?

So let's list how anime Starship Troopers just from the setting

1. It starts out in a grim future where bugs are invading earth.
2. The high school is centered around the bugs/military culture, various classes and all.
3. There are special humans, and our lead isn't one of them. (Rico-kun was a regular high school boy, until...)
4. The sports/football game is played in ridiculous outfits, and it has both girls and boys playing.
5. They recruit high school kids to go join the war.

So why aren't all yall rewatching this? It's better than I remember lmao.

So let's list how anime Starship Troopers just from the setting

1. It starts out in a grim future where bugs are invading earth.
2. The high school is centered around the bugs/military culture, various classes and all.
3. There are special humans, and our lead isn't one of them. (Rico-kun was a regular high school boy, until...)
4. The sports/football game is played in ridiculous outfits, and it has both girls and boys playing.
5. They recruit high school kids to go join the war.

So why aren't all yall rewatching this? It's better than I remember lmao.
I'd also recommend watching Red Letter Media's re:View of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

phaze

Kakegurui 10-12 END

Sort of underwhelmed by the second half but with the caveat that I've already read the glasses-kun duel part so there was nothing there to surprise me.

It's not a show that I think excels in anything in particular but in terms of the general mood, setting, character designs, I hope it's something we will see more of than hitherto.

Was that reveal at the end supposed to mean something to me ? (the name of the mask girl)

moogs

Neo Member
With this season thread not even getting a OT2, I think we should form a thread idol group to repopulate animeGAF with new junior members!

But Senpai, I want to join a club for panzer fahren.

They must have been trying to lead you astray. The series, in chronological order, is perfectly standalone. Extra/alternative content is available as it would be for any work. In this case, that amount happens to be sizable, but it's not essential in order to enjoy the series by itself.

THE IDOLM@STER Prologue SideM -Episode of Jupiter-
DLARmaCUIAAt_0h.jpg:small
DLAWAcMV4AA4tIE.jpg:small

Shouta is the best. but for some of it felt like we were supposed to have watched some other show, since all the 765 drama? with Jupiter. Oh well, Touma as leader and seeing him deal with moving the group on was good.

Brand New Field animated was perfect too.

Poor DreamFes being upstaged by the dance sequences in this anime.

Erheller

Sakura Quest 10-11

RIriko's arc was great. As someone who used to suffer from social anxiety, almost everything in these two episodes hit home. The way Ririko feels she doesn't fit in, the way she makes clever quips that get ignored, the way she's told that she's weird and should just keep quiet. That's what makes Yoshino's speech to her so moving: you have different strengths from us; what you say is important to us; you are important to us, and we care about you. I think that's what everybody who suffers from social anxiety wants to hear - I know I certainly did.

And it's great to see Ririko try to put herself in uncomfortable experiences to try to better herself. We know from the last arc that she took a small speaking role in the movie. And in this arc she puts herself in front of a live audience and sings a beautiful song.

Sakura Quest might be formulaic, some of the plot points might seem contrived, and its symbolism is as subtle as an anvil. But damn, this show pours its heart and soul into its characters.

Made in Abyss 13

I must have still missed where they established why there is so much interested in exploring the abyss enough so that the one guy would be pouring in to build a huge lab there, though would be afraid to go to the layer himself? It just seems so much risk for what appears to be little or limited award. I do hope they run into him in some future day or we get his story.

Nanachi and Mitty story was litrally more compelling than the main group.

Music was the best part of the anime third best this season, please give the composer more anime work, please.

RangerBAD

I think Bonedruid actually suffers from the curse. And your question is like asking why people explore/explored the oceans. Does it really need clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom