• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

kemono friends 1 & 2

i can see why this became weirdly breakout. The animation is pretty rough and it's obvious the budget was fucked sideways, but the direction, voice acting, and music is all topnotch. Can't speak too much as to the plot so far, but I can definitely say the writing at least is fine, at least in line with the direction.

Gotta say they really do a lot more with what they have then many series that have more cash money.

Also the environments look really gorgeous, considering.

moogs

Neo Member
In regard to the discussion on the previous page(s)...

The crux there was that two different things were being argued: technical execution vs commercial success, with the later being conflated with the former. While not mutually exclusive, it's important to separate the two when trying to pass judgement on the technical merit of a work because a metric combining the two would otherwise automatically validate all works that meet their sale or popularity (interest) quota as technically competent. The equivocation of "success" here is fault.
I'll try to ignore the ad hominem statements.

[...] it clearly isn't accurate if fans love it and it had emotional impact for them.

This is irrelevant because it rejects the argument based on an appeal to popularity. The absolute merit behind direction shouldn't be rooted in what others believe; what they believe has no direct bearing on and cannot prove to reject what Jarmel believes, since it's an opinion. In other words, it doesn't invalidate his position, let alone weaken it.

None of those words mean anything outside of some abstract snobby personal critique anyway.

That's one way to illustrate his position, but I don't see how this assertion supports your's or harms his.

For you [Jarmel], it was a piece of shit, for many others it was exciting and fun popcorn entertainment with beloved characters and cool battles.

Yes, that is what he's saying. Yet his position is arguing about the execution of the work not its appeal to audiences.

That aside, it's not an argument that it's not worth thinking about things.

Oh?

Wasting time on expressing deep critical analysis on something no one really cares to engage in debate about is pointless.

Oh.

It's an argument that intent and audience is important to determine the success of a product.

That is not at all what Jarmel was arguing for though, in either terms of popularity or revenue. I agree with your statement in isolation though.

No one watches SAO to talk about shot composition or intricate details in the thought process behind each scene.

I know this is an exaggeration, but it's still an unacceptable basis from which to dismiss what originally precipitated the discussion. It's irrelevant to make such a hasty generalization.

People watch it to see Kirito and Asuna get it on, before he rekts all his enemies and unleashes his final form. If SAO achieves that, and fans like it, it is successful.

Again, how this has a direct influence on the analysis of technical merits behind direction is lost on me. However, I do see how this bears significance on the particular success you speak of.

I think everyone making it would also agree with that assessment.

If anyone were to state the opposite, how would you propose to refute or verify this?

I do believe you're just having fun with Jarmel... but a better point to dismiss his impressions from would have been upon the hazy nature of interpreting intent itself instead of deliberately misconstruing his judgement of art as the rating of entertainment.

I understand Jarmel used similar fallacies initially, but two wrongs don't make a right and is a potent fallacy itself. Finally, to make my own intentions clear: I see your argument as being potentially hazardous to intellectual discourse within the community if left unchecked. Be it about questionable material; the judgement passed on it; or otherwise strong material and judgement.

Case in point:

That argument's been used in this thread for quite a while.

"Just enjoy it for what it is"
"It's still something to see"
"It's just entertainment"
"I watch it with my mind turned off"

Whether it's tradition or not has no merit for an argument because tradition isn't intricately linked to truth of falsity. Whichever side is being supported, that information is irrelevant to the outcome.

It's more of how dismissive duckroll was than anything else. In truth, it goes beyond art being subjective. It's the ultimate subjective thing. Stories exist to make a connection. Doesn't matter how well you design a story, how smart it is, if it can't make that connection it'll fail every time. But that doesn't mean stories are immune to criticism. It certainly doesn't mean "those words don't mean anything".

I appreciate your attempt to point out this false dilemma.

All the criticisms someone makes can be true but that doesn't have to stop you from enjoying it anyway.

This is the best takeaway from the discussion.

Even if I'm mistaken in my own analysis of the exchange here, shaming critical thinking should be discouraged anyway—whether it's also mistaken or not.

Jintor

i didn't really read it as duckroll shaming critical thinking, just more like, 'nobody here will really read it so there's not much point'

to which i say, i love it when people break things apart for good or for ill. like i wrote a whole bunch of toradora breakdowns (still haven't done those final two episodes!!!!) for some reason and i don't really know if anyone really read those. I got a few compliments, which I appreciate, I did it for me. Throx's Euphonium breakdowns also come to mind.

I read people's break downs of shows I don't watch or even care about because I find them interesting.

I just don't commonly comment on them.

moogs

Neo Member
i didn't really read it as duckroll shaming critical thinking, just more like, 'nobody here will really read it so there's not much point'

That's one angle I didn't put much weight into, seeing as how it had sparked conversation. However, to a certain degree, that "nobody here will really read it so there's not much point" is an acceptable conclusion as well.

Ripping SAO apart is still the best thing it has going for it, so I'm all for Jarmel or whoever else to continue doing so. Only gets annoying if it's done excessively so, but surely a new film is deserving of new critique.

blurr

I don't necessarily read every breakdown but knock yourself out if you want to. You don't have to always have to write it for someone else, you can write it for yourself. That's basically what I do and remind myself every time I feel like "no one's going to read this and I don't write that well".

zulux21

SAO got a 3rd season while Accel World never got any sequel except for a movie. I want my bad perspective toilets!

to be fair the second half of accel world is still stupider than anything that goes on in SAO.

freaken being blackmailed by a guy that repeatedly talks about blackmailing you in a world where you can actively record and share what is going on around you without the person being involving knowing -_-
plus the villain in that arc is just horrible.

that being said I would like to see another season of Accel world, but it's just not nearly as popular as SAO.

Defuser

dlb_zdhueae0cm1g7sh6.jpg
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/601/1601573/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZCV1ADhlQg

200guslb.gif

A 2018 To aru project. Could be anything really.

I don't whether it's Index S3 or Railgun S3 or even that wierd Accelerator spinoff. More Index please.

For what it's worth I enjoy reading long posts from those with the knowledge about aspects of directing/animation/and scene composition that I'd never catch

At this point I've avoided writing long lengthy posts unless the issue is with the writing itself as that's what I actually focus on and the only thing I can (normally) distinguish as good or bad unless it's blatantly obvious. I won't disagree that I watch sword art online solely for the stupid male fantasy cheesy writing, it's pretty basic to turn my brain off, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate long posts breaking down why it sucks.

I tend to avoid long posts when they're the corvo style fake outrage all caps lock angry video game nerd review as for me that doesn't work outside of audio/video for entertainment.

But those with thought put into it I like and read... specifically in Anime though. In other western shows theres this one dude who can't type about his thoughts in a show without making it essay length and he doesn't end up saying anything that insightful he couldn't have made more concise.

Though I do appreciate in films and TV here and there where amazing shit is brought up, like in the RLM ghostbusters review where they bring up how the jokes have no breathing room.

That's one angle I didn't put much weight into, seeing as how it had sparked conversation. However, to a certain degree, that "nobody here will really read it so there's not much point" is an acceptable conclusion as well.

Yeah I mean, right or not, we all know where we sit on SAO at this point. You either love it unironically, hate it, love it ironically, etc. So a critical deconstruction of it, or whatever you want to call it, would really just be reaffirming opinions one way or the other. So I'd agree with Duckroll that it kinda feels pointless, especially if Jarmel's asking the community what he should do. But if he wants to write a long tirade about how awful it is it's not as if anyone can stop him *shrug*

I don't want to discourage long lengthy posts if they have something worth saying. But it isn't untrue that we've largely stopped seeing the long image filled "show review" posts many used to do because I guess slowly we've realized it takes more effort to prepare them than a regular post and ultimately not many will read it.

Jintor

I mean most of my impressions are a sentence I dashed off for a reason.

Ain't nobody got time for anime reviews.

(This problem exacerbates hugely when you start getting paid to write tbh)

I don't want to discourage long lengthy posts if they have something worth saying. But it isn't untrue that we've largely stopped seeing the long image filled "show review" posts many used to do because I guess slowly we've realized it takes more effort to prepare them than a regular post and ultimately not many will read it.

Well, I think if anyone wants to do posts like that they should be doing them because they want to. Not that anyone is being forced to, but I think if you have to ask "do people want this?" you're perhaps more looking for attention/approval/affirmation rather than doing it because you really believe it's worth saying.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting some either, especially if they have something they absolutely feel is worth saying. And there's probably more who read it than you think, just few will feel the need to post some kind of response.

I mean most of my impressions are a sentence I dashed off for a reason.

Ain't nobody got time for anime reviews.

(This problem exacerbates hugely when you start getting paid to write tbh)

Hey. Hey. SOMEONE is reading my Anime Review Website! (At least I see page views, maybe they just came for the images.) :p
I know we're talking about forums though, just being silly.

Well, I think if anyone wants to do posts like that they should be doing them because they want to. Not that anyone is being forced to, but I think if you have to ask "do people want this?" you're perhaps more looking for attention/approval/affirmation rather than doing it because you really believe it's worth saying.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from posting some either, especially if they have something they absolutely feel is worth saying. And there's probably more who read it than you think, just few will feel the need to post some kind of response.

Hey. Hey. SOMEONE is reading my Anime Review Website! (At least I see page views, maybe they just came for the images.) :p
I know we're talking about forums though, just being silly.

Didnt we have in the past someone ask "if I write a long post about this will anyone read it?" which lead to the first discussion we had about this like earlier this year? I don't remember who but we've had this discussion before.

Didnt we have in the past someone ask "if I write a long post about this will anyone read it?" which lead to the first discussion we had about this like earlier this year? I don't remember who but we've had this discussion before.

I dunno, I'm a cat, I only remember what's directly important to me.
Well that and I sometimes forget to read pages, so maybe I missed it. Although now that you bring it up it does sound familiar....

DiGiKerot

THE IDOLM@STER Prologue SideM -Episode of Jupiter-
DLARmaCUIAAt_0h.jpg:small
DLAWAcMV4AA4tIE.jpg:small

Shouta is the best. but for some of it felt like we were supposed to have watched some other show, since all the 765 drama? with Jupiter. Oh well, Touma as leader and seeing him deal with moving the group on was good.

Brand New Field animated was perfect too.

Poor DreamFes being upstaged by the dance sequences in this anime.

Jupiters situation in Side-M has always followed on from either the events of the iM@S2 game or the previous iM@S TV anime, when they were the rival characters. No real change here, though this episode does also happen concurrently with the iM@S movie (not particularly relevant beyond being why Haruka is a little less chipper than normal)

Jarmel

Banned
I wasn't actually asking, that was more of a rhetorical question last night. The movie honestly isn't worth dissecting because at this point you kind of know where you stand on SAO. I watched it because I was interested in the AR graphics, the movie does have some great monitor design, and I was expecting really high level animation from a production stand-point (not so much). Duckroll had praised it earlier this year so I figured it wouldn't be too painful.

However people really aren't interested in having an actual discussion abouts the faults of SAO in general or the faults of the movie in particular. I'd rather put that energy towards my Hunter x Hunter review which is going to piss half the forum off.

I wasn't actually asking, that was more of a rhetorical question last night. The movie honestly isn't worth dissecting because at this point you kind of know where you stand on SAO. I watched it because I was interested in the AR graphics, the movie does have some great monitor design, and I was expecting really high level animation from a production stand-point (not so much). Duckroll had praised it earlier this year so I figured it wouldn't be too painful.

However people really aren't interested in having an actual discussion abouts the faults of SAO in general or the faults of the movie in particular. I'd rather put that energy towards my Hunter x Hunter review which is going to piss half the forum off.

Are you about to trash the 'greatest shonen' of all time or something?

Maybe.

I don't hate it but holy fuck it has a lot of flaws.

Part of the reason I haven't written it yet is because my writeup of that segment is going to be equally as long and drawn out.
Meanwhile at the other room at the exact same time, this guy sneezed. All of this took place in 5 seconds.

daveo42

Banned

I feel that most of the issues with SAO boil down to it being a wish fulfillment harem anime with middle school level philosophy thrown in to make it seem more than it really is. It wouldn't be as bad if it didn't try to take itself so seriously or had any heart. You can make an anime with a Gary Stu, fill it with harem girls, and still give it some actual heartfelt moments or a main character you don't feel disgusted by rooting for. Nothing I've seen from SAO has even come close.

However, I am curious about your thoughts on HxH, since it seems to be the pinnacle of greatness when it comes to shounen series, even if that bar is relatively low.

I just want to say how hard right now I'm trying to find a way to recommend Made in Abyss to friends who watch Anime but more conservatively than myself. Because it's such a great show but having kids talk about what they do and get naked isn't exactly easy to wave away for some. I'll pitch it to them but man, I wish I could recommend more Anime without a "but"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom