• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Thank you. People always put Trigun and Outlaw Star in the same breath as Bebop and breh its not even close.

People seem to have this idealized memory of Madhouse shows being badass and action packed with great adult animation. The reality is that many Madhouse TV anime are rather cheap and rushed adaptations but they cemented a place for themselves in pop culture mindshare because of their OVAs and films.

Hyoukokun

Thank you. People always put Trigun and Outlaw Star in the same breath as Bebop and breh its not even close.
I remember Trigun's animation work being noticeably primitive even for its time. I think at least some of my fond memories are because I was (too-easily?) impressed by some of the twists they threw in near the end.

Never watched Outlaw Star. Is it still worth it if one goes in with tempered expectations?

Yamishibai 5
DE5z_Ag_DWs_AIi7_Hm.jpg

After an especially limp episode 4, (Don't build a horror episode around a printer. Even as a person who is probably gonna be slaving away in a cubicle for a few years, I don't find them scary) I was surprised at how good episode 5 is. It's spooky as all hell. It builds up and reaches a nice crescendo.

Good stuff.

Well, for me its more they all seem to form a loose three grouping of outlaw series. I think it terms of quality the three sit in widely different areas and I totally agree Trigun is the weakest of the three.

I remember Trigun's animation work being noticeably primitive even for its time. I think at least some of my fond memories are because I was (too-easily?) impressed by some of the twists they threw in near the end.

Never watched Outlaw Star. Is it still worth it if one goes in with tempered expectations?

I think it is. I rewatched it just a couple years ago and still love it quite a lot. It's still not as solid as Bebop, but I think its still a very good series.

sonicmj1

Re:Creators 15

As the show gets more tied up in the minutiae of producing anime content, its self-awareness is really coming to the fore. Some of that is pretty amusing.

For all the attention this show lavishes on the fine, unnecessary details of fictional characters winding up in the real world, I'm still kind of shocked by how little attention seems to be paid to everything outside of the creations and their creators. Was there no reaction to the destruction caused in episodes 8-12? What are these random abandoned buildings all over the place where the villains can hang out? Doesn't Sota have school?

I dunno. It's hard to care much when the show gets serious, but I like when it's chaotic or goofy, which is where it is more often than not now.

People seem to have this idealized memory of Madhouse shows being badass and action packed with great adult animation. The reality is that many Madhouse TV anime are rather cheap and rushed adaptations but they cemented a place for themselves in pop culture mindshare because of their OVAs and films.

The film work Madhouse did with Kon and others is certainly a big part of how they established their reputation, but the studio also put it a good number of high-quality TV shows in their hayday, such as Gunslinger Girl, Dennou Coil, the Yuasa works, and Mouryou no Hako. And of course, their mindshare in anime fandom rests a lot on adaptations such as Monster and Death Note. Now 2000s Madhouse put out a lot of questionable work too, since they were so prolific, but they were much stronger in all formats than the current drastically weakened form of the studio.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

VGqhhy9.gif

Trigun has some amazing bits of animation and it holds up great on that account.

Outlaw Star looks pretty good until it runs out of budget for its final third and starts to look like crap.

Hyoukokun

VGqhhy9.gif

Trigun has some amazing bits of animation and it hold up great on that account.

Outlaw Star looks pretty good until it runs out of budget for its final third and starts to look like crap.
That looks better than I remember! I was watching *really* crappy quality video, though. Also, I think that at least some of what I remember were joke segments with Vash acting goofy; the simpler animation there was probably a stylistic choice in part.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I feel like this gif is from the movie.

You'd be wrong, it's from episode 6. I should know, I made it.

I'm not saying every frame of Trigun looks amazing as well, I also have some pretty bad gifs as well I made for the lols. It looks damn good for 1998 though and with a proper remaster could look amazing.

Narag

Re:Creators 14

The government should nationalize anime so there's never a budget meme issue and the best talent is always on deck.

Aki-at

Trigun has some amazing bits of animation and it holds up great on that account.

Yeah I love the final fight in Trigun
until it goes all Dragonball Z. Manga unsprisingly did it better.

was it there from the start? LMAO. All I remember is that at some point in the later episodes it went from the people hunting him in this fun western setting to more of an emphasis on his past in a spaceship or something.

The manga opens with Vash wandering the
city of July after he destroyed it
vs the anime that opens with is he/isn't he a legendary gunslinger. The anime just sort of shelved his mysterious background until later in the series so gave off the vibe it was a happy fun series when there was superhero powers and stuff all along.

Why else would they adapt it? They could have easily keep the dark undertones without it there.

The idea of punishing a child by hanging them up naked is something that we would take to be very cruel and unusual. The idea of forcing children to work in a life-threatening abyss is also cruel and unusual. Both of these cruel and unusual things are covered by the upbeat tone of the series since the whole thing is seen through the children's perspective - they are upbeat and happy because they don't know anything else. I think all of this is enough evidence that, rather than pandering, the scene is a mirror of the overall theme of the show.

Considering the whole scene is two seconds of pandering I don't really know who they are going to convince to watch their show because of it - which is the goal of pandering in the first place.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I love the final fight in Trigun
until it goes all Dragonball Z. Manga unsprisingly did it better.

The manga opens with Vash wandering the
city of July after he destroyed it
vs the anime that opens with is he/isn't he a legendary gunslinger. The anime just sort of shelved his mysterious background until later in the series so gave off the vibe it was a happy fun series when there was superhero powers and stuff all along.

Episode 6, the one the gif is from, already shows that Vash can
talk a reactor out of blowing itself up and looks exactly the same way he did twenty years ago.
and that's episode six. There's even more hints earlier than that that Vash ain't normal.

Cornbread78

The idea of punishing a child by hanging them up naked is something that we would take to be very cruel and unusual. The idea of forcing children to work in a life-threatening abyss is also cruel and unusual. Both of these cruel and unusual things are covered by the upbeat tone of the series since the whole thing is seen through the children's perspective - they are upbeat and happy because they don't know anything else. I think all of this is enough evidence that, rather than pandering, the scene is a mirror of the overall theme of the show.

Considering the whole scene is two seconds of pandering I don't really know who they are going to convince to watch their show because of it - which is the goal of pandering in the first place.

The word "pandering" aside can we at least agree that there is no reason to actually annimate (even for only a couple secs) a 12 year old child being strung up naked? All of the "dark" undertones in the show had already been established as well as what a shitty environment they are living in....

It does help further explain the narritive, tone, setting, etc of the story...

Jintor

That trigun movie is pretty alright.

There's aspects of trigun i really like but like many i prefer the adventure world aspect to it rather than the weird up its butt grittiness as you delve more into vash's weird past

once in a while you want to watch a show so you can post ALL CAPS insane reaction posts ala Corvo.

I did that with the first episode of Vatican, but then the second episode made me realize it'll be forgettable and not as insane as I hoped so I just gave an honest impression.

Narag

Re:Creators 15
H202mGdl.png
CaYCK5Xl.png

Meanwhile at Sunrise...

Feels strange to be introducing players so late in the game. Feels just as strange to give Blitz as heavy a focus as he has right now too but I assume that's meant to make him sympathetic to Altair since they've both suffered the same loss albeit in opposite directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom