• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aho Girl 03

DFFxI4OXsAAd-bS.jpg
DFFxI4UXoAA72Ax.jpg

When you're best friend is such an idiot you cannot enjoy her forcing your face into her chest.

New Game!! 02

Whaaaaa!? A bit of conflict in our story!?

Smartphone 02

It has become a game for me to predict every single thing that happened in this episode. I admit I was wrong thinking the MC would accidentally steal the samurai girl's panties instead of her hair ribbon.

Isekai Shokudou 03

Even though these stories have been generally the same, I'm entertained by the comfy atmosphere here.

Smartphone Isekai - 2

It's honestly kind of fascinating, this show.

It's so blatant with its wish-fulfillment fantasy and yet despite that the show feels kind of...reserved, I guess?

There are many shows that you might say "try too hard" but this show flat-out doesn't try at all. There's next to no drama in this whatsoever. No tragic backstories, no crazy action, not even any real fanservice ecchi scenes, nothing.

It's just this MC going through the motions of being a Gary Stu. You could make a whole Morgan-Freeman narrated documentary on Gary-Stus with this show.

But do you know what the most surprising thing of this show might be? I'm not sure if this'll happen in the show's runtime, but apparently from what Jeff told me on Twitter:
The MC ends up engaged to all the girls. They don't even beat around the bush with the harem aspect either and actually spell it out. He's literally marrying all of them.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.117
1LXa0Hq.jpg

Oh the boy kitties are such babies! They need to become Thunder buddies!

kMVT4iG.png

5wOPOPh.png

nLg5iQR.png
As always, when Fairy Tail is at it's best, it really is at it's fu(king best. What a set-up and what an awesome ending! The battle to start things off was pretty crazy followed by some OP bad guy a$$pulls, but then that ending scene! I actually yelled out "OH $hit" and clapped a couple times, which I never do, lol. I love how this show treats it's characters when it is not being redundant and I love how they pull off and frame these types of moments..
Hell yeah, welcome back you OP a$$hole! It's only been about 60 episodes since the last time I saw ya! Very hype episode if you couldn't figure that out, lol.

Jintor

maybe if i get some time i'll do some screencap work on this new game+ ep cos it's got a couple of interesting shots here and there.

despite the way it's dressed and the usual 4koma setup, new game+ has some real chops put into it when it wants to. I thought that way about that first season and I think so here too.

That reminds me i did recaps for like 23 episodes of toradora and stopped before doing the last episode. lmao.

Ascheroth

As far as Isekai goes, I've been reading one that has some pretty interesting ideas. It's called Falling in Love with the Villainess and it's a Seinen Isekai Webnovel, so there's actually romantic progression and the MC, while being pretty OP, is not infallible and makes mistakes that have consequences.
(although it being a webnovel also means that there's some amateur writing at times).

The general premise is: a japanese boy possesses the body of a near-death 10 year old kid from the slums in a fantasy world. He gets healed with magic by a kid noble, and afterwards also saves him in turn. As a result he gets picked up by the noble boy and starts working as a valet for him and his sister, while developing an underground crime empire on the side :p (which he wants to use to help his new master and mistress from the shadows)
One thing that's interesting is is that he doesn't replace the 10 year old kid, his consciousness is still there. So at the beginning they kind of alternate between whose 'in control' of the body, and over time merge together into a new personality.

After the prologue he learns that this is actually a game world (there are no stats and skills and levels and JRPG terms and all that shit tho) as he comes across the actual MC of the world he's in, which is a reincarnated girl, since the game is an Otome/Strategy hybrid :p and she has knowledge of the original game.
Turns out that the nobles he is working for are actually steppingstones for the real MC in the original storyline of the game and get pretty bad ends (as in, his mistress is the love rival (aka Villainess) of the MC in the original game), so he tries his best to avoid that outcome.

It's a good read.

As far as Isekai goes, I've been reading one that has some pretty interesting ideas. It's called Falling in Love with the Villainess and it's a Seinen Isekai Webnovel, so there's actually romantic progression and the MC, while being pretty OP, is not infallible and makes mistakes that have consequences.
(although it being a webnovel also means that there's some amateur writing at times).

The general premise is: a japanese boy possesses the body of a near-death 10 year old kid from the slums in a fantasy world. He gets healed with magic by a kid noble, and afterwards also saves him in turn. As a result he gets picked up by the noble boy and starts working as a valet for him and his sister, while developing an underground crime empire on the side :p (which he wants to use to help his new master and mistress from the shadows)

Romance while he is in a 10 years old body? Is this like '300 years old vampire loli'?

Normally, people don't stay 10 year old.

From your description I didn't get several years would pass in the game world :p. It isn't usually done in isekais stories, as the characters not accustomed to the new world is one of the core concepts. If several years pass by we can imagine the guy is already almost a 'native' to the setting.

kewlmyc

One thing that's interesting is is that he doesn't replace the 10 year old kid, his consciousness is still there. So at the beginning they kind of alternate between whose 'in control' of the body, and over time merge together into a new personality.

After the prologue he learns that this is actually a game world (there are no stats and skills and levels and JRPG terms and all that shit tho) as he comes across the actual MC of the world he's in, which is a reincarnated girl, since the game is an Otome/Strategy hybrid :p and she has knowledge of the original game.
Turns out that the nobles he is working for are actually steppingstones for the real MC in the original storyline of the game and get pretty bad ends (as in, his mistress is the love rival (aka Villainess) of the MC in the original game), so he tries his best to avoid that outcome.

It's a good read.

Sounds interesting. Can't wait for it to never get an adaption.

What is the process from Web Novel to Light Novel anyway?

Do LN publishers in Japan see how popular some are and approach the author with an offer or something?

DNAbro

I wish more than just japanese LN and manga adaptations existed. I'd kill for an adaptation of Tower of God. It's Korean so it's never happening though.

I wish more than just japanese LN and manga adaptations existed. I'd kill for an adaptation of Tower of God. It's Korean so it's never happening though.

Or The Breaker which is my favorite Korean manhwa. But man would I want Jinee animated from new waves.

It also reminds me that we won't get a continuation of the series in a long ass time....

Some Chinese novels get adapted thanks to Chinese/Japanese co-productions. Animated adaptations of Korean adaptations seem very rare though.

Kyuur

Ballroom 2

I was expecting more out of the dancing animation for the first competition shown, not just a bunch of stills. Still good, crazy anatomy issues aside.

Tsuredure 3

Still cute and hilarious.

Love and Lies 3

Along MiA this is a surprise of the season. Never has a romance anime had so many characters with actual spines. Also, best OP of the season?

DNAbro

Some Chinese novels get adapted thanks to Chinese/Japanese co-productions. Animated adaptations of Korean adaptations seem very rare though.

Kills me tbh. I know if Tower of God was made by a Japanese person it would definitely have had an anime by now. It's basically shounen but it's good shounen.

Love and Lies 3

Along MiA this is a surprise of the season. Never has a romance anime had so many characters with actual spines. Also, best OP of the season?

Nah, best OP of the season easily goes to Kakegurui

Cornbread78

Love and Lies 3

This show has been great so far, and that kiss at the end! Where did THAT come from? talk about curveball to the story!

Kyuur

Nah, best OP of the season easily goes to Kakegurui

I forgot about this one since I dropped it. Visually you're right; I wonder if it was directed by the same person who did the ACCA opening?

L&L's is catchy as fuck though.

This show has been great so far, and that kiss at the end! Where did THAT come from? talk about curveball to the story!

Right? Someone in my watching group called a polygamous end for this and I'm almost leaning that way now with how the characters are acting :lol:

Is there a reason why?

I can only speculate, but I would guess that:

- The Chinese market is larger than the Korean market, which makes Japanese companies more eager to find ways to reach a Chinese audience. As there are several Chinese companies eager to fund works that appeal to China, this creates a lot of joint ventures.

- Korean animation studios are too busy being the workhorses of every other country's animation to have time to promote the written material that their own country produces.

Ballroom 2

I was expecting more out of the dancing animation for the first competition shown, not just a bunch of stills. Still good, crazy anatomy issues aside.

The competition didn't really get much focus; it was just a quick glance as an introduction to Kiyoharu. In that sense, I can understand why it didn't get a lot of resources devoted to it. The scene towards the end of the episode with Kiyoharu practicing by himself had much more lavish animation.

It's worth mentioning that this episode had all of its dancing action re-animated by action animation director Takashi Mukouda, since apparently the animation that came back from Studio Pierrot, to which it was outsourced, was not up to the director's standards. Sakuga Blog has a useful article about this episode, which also looks at the tragic case of Kazunori Mizuno, who passed away due to overwork while directing this episode at Pierrot.

I forgot about this one since I dropped it. Visually you're right; I wonder if it was directed by the same person who did the ACCA opening?

No, the ACCA OP was done by Shingo Natsume, director of Space Dandy and One Punch Man. The Kakegurui OP is by Sayo Yamamoto, director of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Yuri on Ice.

Kyuur

The competition didn't really get much focus; it was just a quick glance as an introduction to Kiyoharu. In that sense, I can understand why it didn't get a lot of resources devoted to it. The scene towards the end of the episode with Kiyoharu practicing by himself had much more lavish animation.

It's worth mentioning that this episode had all of its dancing action re-animated by action animation director Takashi Mukouda, since apparently the animation that came back from Studio Pierrot, to which it was outsourced, was not up to the director's standards. Sakuga Blog has a useful article about this episode, which also looks at the tragic case of Kazunori Mizuno, who passed away due to overwork while directing this episode at Pierrot.

When half of the characters identity (thus far) is "omg they're so good" seems a bit weird to not show it off in his introduction. The scene at the end does remedy it a bit but honestly I'd have traded priority.

Sad to read about the loss at Pierrot, tragic. :/

No, the ACCA OP was done by Shingo Natsume, director of Space Dandy and One Punch Man. The Kakegurui OP is by Sayo Yamamoto, director of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Yuri on Ice.

No. The person who did the Persona 5 OP and the first Bahamut Virgin Soul OP.

Cool, thanks! I can definitely see the similarities to Persona/Bahamut too. Love this style of OP either way.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is one of the worst seasons I can remember for openings and endings.

I was ready to disagree but then I realize MPR is right. Kakegurui has the best OP and ED this season.

The only other one that stands out in my mind is the Princess Principal OP and ED.

Szadek

Touken Ranbu Episode 3

It's amazing how dull this is other than some pretty visuals. There is like no semblance of character or plot progression. The enemy is just a faceless generic unit. It isn't charming or funny enough to get laughs. I should probably stop watching it. Phone game adaptations are a mistake.
What has Rage of Bahamut ever done to you?!?!

DNAbro

I was ready to disagree but then I realize MPR is right. Kakegurui has the best OP and ED this season.

The only other one that stands out in my mind is the Princess Principal OP and ED.

And the ED is just the main character walking towards the camera with closeups.

Love and Lies OP does have a pretty good song though.

I also want to express my disappointment over My Hero Academia's latest OP song. It's just bad.

blurr

Smartphone Isekai - 2

I'm actually reminded of the time you asked about shows with a person traveling back in time and introducing modern day technology to people of the past. Kuromukuro actually has something along those lines but it's the other way around, one person comes in from the past but the show does a good job in portraying him getting accustomed to modern day Japan technology, culture and in some cases even language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom