• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

On the contrary, I've been reading the manga and these side stories though somewhat evocative and thought provoking feel really short lived and ultimately a bit out of place from the main story providing small bouts of touching moments that don't necessarily feel compelling. I wish this had a more meditated and slower pace than it does during these moments.

I've read quite a bit of it but its tendency to be a thriller and a very thought provoking narrative turns me off more often than not. I do intend to finish it at some point.

Well, I have a bit of a different perspective because, having seen the ending, I know where are all of those plots are actually going. Without getting into spoilers, a number of characters and plots that seem "one-off" are returned to again, or form part of the wider mystery.

Which isn't to say that there aren't redundant plot threads and characters - Urasawa certainly has a tendency to spin up more plotlines than he resolves. But even those smaller stories will tie back thematically to main story, often focusing on questions relating to "who has the power to give or take life".

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next Episode 35 (engdub)

I wish they had went through to the end instead of randomly stopping, but Kazuma needs to realize kazumi is not his brother at this point in time, hold ones head high and just go for the U20 to do the best he can.

I think Chrono learned the most here though as he finally got to see why Kazuma has so many self esteem issues.

blurr

Well, I have a bit of a different perspective because, having seen the ending, I know where are all of those plots are actually going. Without getting into spoilers, a number of characters and plots that seem "one-off" are returned to again, or form part of the wider mystery.

Which isn't to say that there aren't redundant plot threads and characters - Urasawa certainly has a tendency to spin up more plotlines than he resolves. But even those smaller stories will tie back thematically to main story, often focusing on questions relating to "who has the power to give or take life".

That's a bit reassuring but I'm nonetheless wary about the way Urasawa handles it or the eventual approach to it. For every touching/evocative moment in a sidestory there's a lot of times I felt the need to give it more breathing room. I just tend to be sensitive to these themes I guess. I'll at least try to pace myself better as I read.

Future Card Buddyfight X [Batzz] Episode 15 (engdub)

Everytime Honoko did the toilet flush for her turn I was laughing lol. Also the toilet plunger attacks too.

Ghost Gao Mikado and this silly episode was the great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 16:

This episode and indeed this arc is something I could see brewing for a measure of time now and that is the question of what motivates a hero with multiple perspectives on that viewpoint. It is like a very heated debate with more in the way of stabbings. Also, the fight itself was one of those that got bogged down a bit with the constant narration and flashbacks that lacked a proper flow.

download.png

Man, Stain is so good.

Chronos Ruler Episode 3

I guess everyone else gave up watching? I really just want to know Victo's past and if Mina truly, truly is his wife, though the backstory in her mind made it seem its for real. The picture he found had her already young though which is a bit confusing or surprising.

Ascheroth

Chronos Ruler Episode 3

I guess everyone else gave up watching? I really just want to know Victo's past and if Mina truly, truly is his wife, though the backstory in her mind made it seem its for real. The picture he found had her already young though which is a bit confusing or surprising.
I'm watching it. Haven't watched episode 3 yet though.

Chronos Ruler 01-02

It's basically a typical battle shonen. Humans with <power> vs creatures related to <power>. In this case <power> is Time.
So you have monsters, the Horologue, that feast on a human's time in order to grow stronger.
They have really cool designs.

It doesn't look bad, but there's some awkward switching between 2D and CG for the action at times.

Here's our party:
Now here's where things get kind of interesting, as their relationship is fairly unique:
You see, Victo ( the guy at the right) is actually Kiri's (the guy at the left) father!
...Man, anime really can't draw adults is what you're probably thinking, but wait! Victo is actually younger than Kiri. Confused? Remember we're dealing with an anime about time and time-eating monsters :p
The girl, called Mina, is apparently Kiris mother/Victo's wife in the same situation as Victo. I say apparently, because it's hard to verify for anyone as they all don't have the memories of their older selves and have to rely on their own diary entries.
Quite a peculiar family, lol.

Anyway I'd say it's decent if you need a shonen action fix but not outstanding? We'll see where it goes, I guess.

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 15

Pool was very funny especially with Kanemori steve kun knowing exactly would Pascal would do and both of them schemeing together, if only Hayato didnt stop them lol.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Episode 16

Fuck man Stain is such an awesome villain. Been dying to see this part animated. That starting punch that Deku threw was just perfect.

blurr

Tiger Mask W 01

It fundamentally does a decent job of setting up their roles and strengths but beyond that there's nothing much to say besides the actual fights because of how well they're done. The premise is interesting in the sense that Dark Tiger Mask is infiltrating from within the system i.e. The Tiger Den, the supposed antagonist monolith. Tiger Mask has a more rebellious approach, you'd think it'd be the other way around given the personalities of both of them. The confrontations between wrestlers are pretty good too. The moment Tiger Mask's eyes meet Dark Tiger Mask stood out for me.

The rough outlines along with the sound effects fits in really well with the wrestling theme.

Posting a single episode's impression seems to undermine what it's capable of given how heavily it relies on confrontations and battles more than one of which probably can't be covered in a single episode.

oh and one more thing.. THE ED IS GODLIKE, both the song and the visuals setup the mood really well.

Touken Ranbu Katsugeki Episode 4

Time Retrograde Army is really going all out, epic episode, I didnt see how they could really win with the demon on the land and then the new distortion on sea and only Yagen on the boat

Made in Abyss Episode 3

Surprised Leader and no one else even thought of them leaving like that, Nat and others should have gone two, as Riko and Reg alone arent really the most interesting characters on the cast and if its just those two exploring then it could be dull.

blurr

Tiger Mask W 02

I might just binge this if I find the time.

That was a great episode,escalated to NJPW, money/popularity plays in to the narrative. Haruna was hilarious, she makes for a more amusing manager than the uncle would have.

This is also probably one of the most consistently well animated shows I've seen even during less significant moments.

The Reflection 1

Not much of a story to speak of so far, but boy does it look stylish. I have to respect Nagahama's penchant for out-of-the-ordinary anime production methods, between Mushishi's mushi animation on ones, Flower of Evil's rotoscoping, and now this bold comic-esque look.

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 29
Pretty hype team comp facing off against Stain with Todoroki and Midoriya coming together closer to their potential than what they showed at the tournament.

Ballroom 3
Tatara filling in was almost the disaster anticipated but it went kinda well tbh, perhaps more than it should have. It'll be interesting to see where this performance takes Hyodo and Tatara from here.

Vatican Episode 3

Sometimes the pacing is too fast, all of a sudden mid conversation they go from the room with the pc to observing a seance, at least the anime makes you have to keep paying attention so much.

Im glad its becoming way more grounded and such, was starting to fervently pray for the demon possessed anime guy that was very scary. Too bad the vatican bank seems corrupt, but thankfully the medical attendants told them, or kept telling them that that story was just her imagination so they could finally take hints for the truth.

Jarmel

Banned
Made in Abyss-3
These are some stupid ass kids. You are taught all your life of the dangers of going super deep and you haven't even gone past the first layer. Worthy of a Darwin Award.

They didn't even bring that much supplies-wise.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Made in Abyss-3

These are some stupid ass kids. You are taught all your life of the dangers of going super deep and you haven't even gone past the first layer. Worthy of a Darwin Award.

They didn't even bring that much supplies-wise.
They'll eat monsters obviously.

Altair Episode 3

Mahmut did well there but the writer is doing everything possible to make sure Mahmut is stripped of all things good and with power, cruel divan proceedings. If its indefinite how can he ever become pasha again?

Though, Zaganos ftw, best. Glad he is letting Mahmut into his schemes.

Made in Abyss Episode 3

Surprised Leader and no one else even thought of them leaving like that, Nat and others should have gone two, as Riko and Reg alone arent really the most interesting characters on the cast and if its just those two exploring then it could be dull.

I thought it seemed like Leader knew what was up and gave Reg an item when he ran into him in the hallway. I'm guessing they'll get to it in the next episode.

JulianImp

Code Geass - Up to #22
...Shit, this plot twist... Lelouch's power incontinence couldn't have happened at a worse time, and so has set things up for the worst possible outcome for the main cast as a whole. Even worse is the thought that Lelouch has finally walked past the point where he won't ever be able to return to a normal life even if he wanted, all while whichever little hope Suzaku had struggled to create alongisde Euphy has been extinguished in a single, decissive stroke that wasn't even done on purpose.

Meanwhile, Wakamoto watches over all this from Olympus and laughs, or something.

I really like how the show has been dissociating the road Lelouch had set for himself and the one circumstances forced him to take more and more, to the point that he has been given the single best chance to return to power, but that opportunity has come at the cost of breaking himself and everyone he really cared about (as well as sowing terror among the Japanese). He has slowly but inexorably been forced to become the mask (which also works literally in his case) and leave his former self behind, and is now forced to keep going despite knowing he'll be arriving to a twisted version of the future he envisioned because of how invested he has already become in his quest to overthrow Britannia and live peacefully with his little sister.

Seriously, Lelouch's one of the most tragic chessmaster-type characters I've ever seen. I was expecting some minor setbacks due to things not always going 100% his way, but those unforeseen events have gotten more and more pronounced over time, leading up to an outcome as awful as this.

I'm also glad I watched Death Note long before watching Code Geass, because I don't think I'd have appreciated the former as much now with how absurdly boring Light was as an evil protagonist compared to Lelouch.

phaze

The Reflection 01

Didn't exactly blew my socks off. The look is kind of hit&miss so far (would have taken more detailed effects and no comicbook sound effects) but the crux of the problem is that so far it looks like a pretty generic superhero story. (if you don't just isolate yourself to the anime).

Welcome to the Ballroom 3

I think this was the first good episode. The previous two were decent, even better than average, but here it all starts to really work together, first the attitude of other dancers to Kiyoharu, the dance, the music, the tenseness of the situation, how it reaches to a climax once he finds his own resolve, Kiyoharu's fire burning up finally, etc.

Somehow, seeing latin dance in an anime feels even weirder than ballroom classic dance:

giphy.gif

Haly

The dancing is good but jesus those faces.

Tiger Mask W 02

I might just binge this if I find the time.

That was a great episode,escalated to NJPW, money/popularity plays in to the narrative. Haruna was hilarious, she makes for a more amusing manager than the uncle would have.

This is also probably one of the most consistently well animated shows I've seen even during less significant moments.

Just uh, make sure you tank through the fourth episode about the idols. Its terrible but its the only terrible episode.

phaze

Record of Lodoss War 07

The warfare as depicted in here is kind of bizarre. One army is ambushed in the fog, the second one joins and helps them out and they're suddenly both reduced to just a dozen each, encircled and replaying the Battle of Black Gate. The two kings agree to a duel, proceed to die in it and both armies are like "oh yeah fuck it, let's go home".

Record of Lodoss War 08

This might have been the best episode as the fight with Karla was better serviced than hitherto. lol at the giant thrown axe being nimble enough to take a diadem out of Kars' head without injuring her at all.

Record of Lodoss War 10
"Hey guys we're going to have a giant dragon in our show"
"But how will we animate such detailed design ?"
"Silly, we won't animate it at all "

Is it me or the two female elves have absolutely nothing going for them outside of being thirsty for mc and the villain respectively.

JulianImp

By the way, does Code Geass ever jump the shark and turn into a smoldering mess, or is it okay to watch all the episodes available on CR?

The dancing is good but jesus those faces.

I suppose you refer to the more exaggerated and more 'pointy looking' faces in the dances. But actually, I would say the regular facial expressions are the best visual feature of this series, more than the animation that for now, it has been just a few good 3-6 seconds each episode. It really nailed the manga's ability to convey lots of different emotions, the use of eyes, etc.

Haly

Code Geass jumps every shark in the world simultaneously.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is it me or the two female elves have absolutely nothing going for them outside of being thirsty for mc and the villain respectively.

Nope!

Lodoss is pretty much only remembered fondly because it was one of the few Sword and Sorcery animes at the time that got an English dub.

The Reflection 1

This is one of those first episodes that while enjoyable doesn't really tell you much about the type of show you're gonna be watching. We're only somewhat introduced to the main cast, and most of the episode is spent giving the show a sense of time and place.

Can we say 'it jumped the shark' if Code Geass was almost from episode 1... like that?
If the first two or three episodes were more normal I think it was because they still didn't have time to go crazy, the first episodes establish the setting, the characters, the initial plot, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom