• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World: New Trailer

TheMink

Chow down.

faux-crow-pie.jpg

I will take a piece please.

Linkhero1

I will admit, I was skeptical when they first revealed it at E3. I'm simply blown away and the references to Mario Bros. 2 are amazing.

This looks like a system seller to me.

VanWinkle

1. People that are used to bullshot-ridden AAA hype campaigns by Ubisoft, etc. Nintendo is so bad at marketing that their promotional materials are far worse than the game actually ends up looking

2. Anti-Nintendo Trolls

3. GAFers that don't understand the history of EAD Tokyo and that they were developing this game

4. Extreme Pessimists

5. People who watched all the levels in the E3 demo.

Frodo

And I went from "not really interested" to "sucking cock for money" so I can buy it day one!

Lighting looks great. Loads of variety. Double cherry will be loads of fun!

witness

Holy shit.....that looks amazing. It looks so varied (like every Mario game) and just looks like a complete joy to play like SMG. Well that did it, looks like I am getting a Wii U on black Friday.

Timeaisis

My only question is: why hide all this awesomeness at E3? I went from very low-hype yesterday, to insane I-need-this-now hype today.

Okay I admit I was a doubter, but why didn't we see some of this at e3? This trailer is leagues ahead of what we saw at e3, so you can't blame me for doubting.

Take my money now.

Effect

Game looks absolutely amazing.

No one doubted EAD. The problem was what they showed at E3 was underwhelming. We wanted them to show more then the start of the game. Also to show more single player. That's what they did here and it's glorious.

Zeth

I feel bad that this was shat on around its announcement. It looks as imaginative and fun as any SMG.

Revven

If the music is as good as the trailer music is, I am ecstatic. What a fantastic track.

Also, the game looks beautiful and the new ideas look awesome. Why haven't we had doppelganger platforming before!?

That trailer theme. My god, I am in love. That shit better not be reserved for the title screen or w/e.

Edit: OH MY GOD CAT GOOMBA

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep. This is amazing.

Weirdly, it's like the 3D Land reaction all over again. "Meh" > "Wow!"

Lumyst

Ah, looking at the scene where the goombas are behind the sliding doors, I wonder if there will be other environmental secrets that are revealed by swiping the fingers around the gamepad. There looks to be more than "holding enemies" and "revealing invisible coins/blocks".

^It would have to be a preference thing then. It delves into "what should a game be and does it have to be this way". If Mario 3D World aims to be a densely packed 3D platformer with obstacles and traps and surprises in every block, and has enjoyable multiplayer fun, then I hope the game is reviewed based on what it tries to accomplish and not how people wish it were.

Linkhero1

From the article:

"But while I did enjoy my time in each of the five different stages we were allowed to play, I still can't help but long for the vast, open, and mysterious environments of Mario 64 and Sunshine."

Game looks far better than before, but it doesn't really change this main criticism.

I miss this as well. I'm hoping they decide to return to a more open environment some day.

I don't understand the hate for this game.

It initially didn't seem like much to begin with other than a Wii U version of 3D Land. Also, people were wanting a Galaxy type game instead. That could be Nintendo's fault though, because the trailers they have been showing really don't seem to do the game justice after this new one was shown. Regardless, this game looks awesome now and I for sure will be getting it day 1.

DaBoss

From the article:

"But while I did enjoy my time in each of the five different stages we were allowed to play, I still can't help but long for the vast, open, and mysterious environments of Mario 64 and Sunshine."

Game looks far better than before, but it doesn't really change this main criticism.

It's only a criticism if you think SM64 & Sunshine are better than SMG, SMG2, and 3D Land.

Lijik

After playing through a few portions with backlit silhouettes, your reach a Toad crying because his shadow is being menaced by the silhouette of Bowser -- even though there's no physical Bowser standing near the Toad. But walk forward into the camera and you'll reveal a hidden area where a Paper Mario-style wooden standup of Bowser lit from in front is casting its shadow onto the same wall as the Toad's shadow. Topple the Bowser and the Toad gives you a Star in gratitude.

This part from Parish's preview sounds really inspired

Hiltz

I never doubted EAD Tokyo. Sure, the game initially looked fairly uninspiring compared to Super Mario Galaxy's unveiling, but having only shown off one trailer and one demo, there was obviously more to the game that was was initially revealed. Of course, it remains to be seen how it ends up overall. Personally, I'd only plan to play the game in single player mode, so the multiplayer component doesn't have much value to gamers like myself.

gemoran4

Not to be that guy, but i'll go ahead and say two things:

1) For the people saying "I can't wait to see the haters take everything back", this trailer does very little to alleviate any of the concerns that pessimists had of the game. It still has a 3D Land formula, still very linear level design, the running and jumping mechanics of mario frankly don't seem as fun as in previous 3D Mario games (I'd have to play to verify if that's a valid complaint), etc etc.

2) This game does look like awesome, and this trailer does show that they added enough interesting and distinct things to make it not feel like a 3D Land map pack. Still would rather have a game like Super Mario 64 in design, but I'm definitely picking it up.

VanWinkle

I'm astounded by the creativity in this trailer, because we saw absolutely NONE at E3. And we saw several levels and a pretty long trailer! Horrible first impression, but I'm so excited for this now.

They showed a lot of new stuff in this trailer, it looks really good.

Everyone should read the SM3DW preview Jeremy Parish wrote: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/super-mario-3d-world-brings-back-the-insanity-factor

Wow, this write up got me even more hyped up than the trailer did. Everything about this game is sounding awesome. I had been planning to buy a Wii U for DKC and then get this afterwards, but I might have to move my schedule up some if the finances will allow it.

It's better than I could have even dreamed possible.

Taker666

I imagine there will be a lot less now. The E3 trailer was like... really bad.

Indeed. I wasn't even sure I was going to buy it after the E3 reveal (bland levels, almost complete focus on multiplayer)...but this has turned me around almost completely.

NEO0MJ

Wow, that was amazing. It's like a totally different game from E3.

g872EdN.gif

Japanese site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/ardj/index.html#

Confirms multiplayer can use any controller compatible with Wii U.
Rendering resolution is 720P.

That gif showed the best part of the trailer. I was really confused when I saw a Goomba with two long blue legs.

Great news on the multiplayer controllers, I didn't want to have to buy more Wii U controllers.

Yagharek

I feel bad that this was shat on around its announcement. It looks as imaginative and fun as any SMG.

After SMG you had to wonder how they could come up with new ideas to top it.
After SMG2 you had to wonder if they could possibly come up with anything new.
After SM3DL you had to wonder if this time they really had used up the last new ideas.

With 3DW we may as well just assume there are another three or four games' worth of new ideas still to come.

EAD Tokyo keep subverting the genre in all the best ways.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it's a 3D Land/World title, not a successor to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. I bet one of those is coming too, collecting Stars and shit.

don't put galaxy alongised N64 and Sunshine, if the critics is: "the vast, open, and mysterious environments of Mario 64 and Sunshine"
galaxy was the opposite, and 3DLand (and possibly this) was just on the same path: bring the platform back to..the platforms.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This looks like a completely new game compared to first showing. Really impressive.

Top Bottom