• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

Stop-over in Minneapolis, answering questions at 8am!

Reviews should hit around in a few hours.

It'll be $14.99

There's a couple crazy little things about the game we haven't announced that I can't wait for people to see! Such exciting (anxiety-filled) times for Capy.

derFeef

It'll be $14.99

There's a couple crazy little things about the game we haven't announced that I can't wait for people to see! Such exciting (anxiety-filled) times for Capy.

Congrats guys, game is a must-buy for me, can't wait :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Also, I think it was 6955 who was meant to be originally doing the soundtrack for Fez!

I should buy a crystal ball really, I can just sense the connections!

It'll be $14.99

Cool - I'll be on the look-out.

Even better to know that there's still things to learn about the game as well too.

damn ms why cant you release this now
wpml_cry.gif

It is kind of silly when you think about it. We've always been told the reason for street dates is due to fairness to all the retailers being able to get the product and sell it on the exact same date.

Well, in this case the ONLY retailer is the XB1 store on the console. We know the game has been finished for a week now as I've seen reviewers playing it on my friends list since last week.

I guess they'd tell us it's about letting the reviewers play it first, so they can write/publisher reviews, etc. Whatever.

Kajiba

It'll be $14.99

Perfect. Buying it the second it's up on Xbox One.

Apparently my post about this game landed in the closed |OT|. This game is making me dig out my 360; I didn't anticipate using it again.

AEREC

Pretty sure I'll be getting this just waiting on 360 impressions. Want to make sure there are no major framerate issues on that version.

Has this been announced for PC? Will be buying it on Xbox One regardless, but... why not have both!
Official word is Xbox One and 360 for now. But if you look at Capy's backtrack, you may expect a PC version...

It'll be $14.99

Do we get a in-depth article how the time mechanics affected the balancing, design of enemies, the level design and creation of playable characters? I am so interested in that stuff.

Zia

This has been one of my top five most anticipated games since seeing that (very) early IGF build a couple years back. If it doesn't live up to expectations I'll probably cry a bunch. No pressure.

Nemesis_

So umm does anyone who played the game want to help me out and tell me what the third collectible is? The one
that's kind of weird and adds a negative timer underneat your shard and yellow gem count

At 34,000 feet reading reviews on crappy Delta wifi with a huge smile on my face.

So so so glad reviewers got what we were trying to do, and enjoyed how we did it.

Also, so so so proud of the team at Capy. Now we just gotta hope you guys pick it up :)

Daigoro

Good scores so far, congrats.

Looking forward to purchasing on XBONE tomorrow.

I wish I came up with the name Jean Rambois. love it.

shandy706

Great reviews.

Had no clue about this a few weeks ago. Day one!!

I don't think a review thread is worth for this game.

btw. tomorrow guys!

I think it should have one. I might have skipped threads on this game completely. I stumbled into one just out of curiosity.

"Super TIME Force Review Thread (X1/360)" would work. If only to intrigue those looking for more on the X1 even. Glad I stumbled across it.

Tak3n

Banned
have to say I am disappointed in the UK price £11.99 vs $14.99 in the US

that is plain daft as in reality at worst it should be £9.99

ElNino

How is the replay sharing different from what GameDVR does? Or is it just that it's automatic, similar to many games auto-clipping events?
I think that is the case, that you can automatically save the entire level for upload/editing. 'Xbox Record That' and auto clipping are cool, but they are obviously more limited in how much they record.

jon_dojah

Banned
I don't know why I didn't notice this before but Jeff Leppard's character is specifically related to Def Leppard's drummer Rick Allen since Jeff only has one arm (the other is a cannon). This whole time I thought the name was only a skin deep reference to the band.

Edit:

Ok I was wrong he does have two arms. But how awesome if what I said was true :p

I'm starting to have second thoughts about this game. That quick look kind of confirms some of my fears. It's not a balls out action game as you might first think. You really have to use these time powers in a methodical way to get past bosses and such.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but those of us hoping for something closer to Contra or Metal Gear may come away disappointed.

I'm mad. I'm going to be too broke paying for car repairs and related whatnot this month to get this anytime soon >:[

I will live through you all vicariously until then.

jon_dojah

Banned
I'm starting to have second thoughts about this game. That quick look kind of confirms some of my fears. It's not a balls out action game as you might first think. You really have to use these time powers in a methodical way to get past bosses and such.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but those of us hoping for something closer to Contra or Metal Gear may come away disappointed.

The way I see it playing and beating this game without using the time mechanics could be the hardest thing to accomplish. Think of it as a true hardcore/rogue-like mode. Using time essentially makes the game easier for you to get things done.

The way I see it playing and beating this game without using the time mechanics could be the hardest thing to accomplish. Think of it as a true hardcore/rogue-like mode. Using time essentially makes the game easier for you to get things done.

Well, listening to the quick look it sounds like you will hit points where that's really not possible.

jon_dojah

Banned
I just got to the part of that quick look where he mentions that. Still I think the notion of adding the time system doesnt detract from having the contra feeling> its just adding a puzzle element. It seems solving the puzzles and efficiently putting the solutions to use could get you into a zone where it will definitely feel contra-ish.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

This error looks familiar! Haha.

It's funny how few of those reviews listed delve into this misleading surface-level appearance. Even watching the replays on XB1, they're entirely misleading in the style of play of the game.

I'm really tired of time control mechanics in games in general (It seems like every protag in western gaming gets time manipulation since Limbo), but this game seems to have among the best, and most well thought out. But I'm very interested if the game even feels manageable without using it at all.

Should the game be manageable with the use of 1 character? Maybe layering lives on top of one character and buffing them allows one to attempt this? Of perhaps they'll be some players who take each life from beginning of stage to end, and use an army of semi-One credit clears in order to win? If you master the game in such a way, is it tedious, or closer to the fun or replaying your favorite Metal Slug mini-stages over and over again, and then watching all the playthroughs culminate?

At least Hardcore mode is a step in the "classic run and gun" direction. But in these hours before release, I wouldn't mind seeing straight-forward run-throughs being an alt play mode, now that I've seen a bunch of replays of the game, that make it look to be so.

USgamer 3.5/5 from the mighty Gamespite (J. Parish yo).

And when it works, STF is brilliant; the boss battles in particular (in which it's impossible to collect the time extension pickups that mitigate the 60-second countdown in normal levels) truly make the most of the rewind feature as well as your entire suite of characters. Because boss battles take place in a small arena and involve a fixed time limit, you can do ridiculous things. For instance, you can have Shieldy stand in the spots where a boss' attacks will be focused and spam his shield powers, rewind, and repeat in different spots until you've created multiple safe havens for your heavy gunners to stand and pour bullets at the boss.

The attacks of previous combatants remain active no matter how many times you rewind, so eventually, with enough recursion, you can fill the entire screen with projectiles and win through sheer force. And if you manage to shorten the phases of multi-stage bosses, the later actions of rewound heroes have a different impact in the dynamic fight than they did at first.

There's so much potential here, yet STF ends right as it starts to come into its own. It feels very much like a game caught between its run-and-gun origins and its more intricate ambitions; the straightforward level design just doesn't offer a sufficiently devious playground for the complex interplay and capabilities afforded by the time travel mechanics.

Answering questions:

This is correct. It's not a balls-to-the-wall shooter in the same way Portal isn't a classical FPS game. Your reflexes are needed to save your limited time loops for other things, but at certain points you'll need to loop to proceed.

Doable in many levels, but pretty much impossible when it comes to bosses.

Dabanton

Damm. With all of the other news today Xbox price cuts and Watch Dogs resolutions this thread has sort of gone from the front page.

Reviews sound good. I've avoided all new video for this I want to go in fresh tommorrow morning

Top Bottom