• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Ran rp

With the the pen, touchscreen, keyboard, and kickstand there are so many ways to use this thing. Windows 10 is brilliant on a tablet like this.

sarcastor

Microsoft Surface 3 Intel Atom 10.8" WiFi 32GB Tablet w/ Stylus & Type Cover $379

http://www.techbargains.com/deal/432273/microsoft-surface-3

I don't know. is an Atom X7 and 10.8" screen good enough for Photoshop?

• 1.37lbs, 10.8"
  • 1920x1080 Multi-Touchscreen display
  • Intel Atom X7 Z8700 1.6GHz (Burst up to 2.4Ghz) Quad-Core CPU
  • 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, 802.11AC + Bluetooth
  • 8MP rear facing camera + 3.5MP front facing camera
  • Windows 8.1 Pro, up to 10hr battery life, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, MicroSD slot
  • 1-year Microsoft warranty

Microsoft Surface 3 Intel Atom 10.8" WiFi 32GB Tablet w/ Stylus & Type Cover $379

http://www.techbargains.com/deal/432273/microsoft-surface-3

I don't know. is an Atom X7 and 10.8" screen good enough for Photoshop?

• 1.37lbs, 10.8"
  • 1920x1080 Multi-Touchscreen display
  • Intel Atom X7 Z8700 1.6GHz (Burst up to 2.4Ghz) Quad-Core CPU
  • 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, 802.11AC + Bluetooth
  • 8MP rear facing camera + 3.5MP front facing camera
  • Windows 8.1 Pro, up to 10hr battery life, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, MicroSD slot
  • 1-year Microsoft warranty
It will choke on Photoshop with decent resolution canvas size.

Ran rp

Sketchpad is a surprisingly useful tool.

* Sketching feels a bit artificial but good enough to enjoy drawing in it.
* The lack of features such as zoom, layers, and a proper eraser force me to be less precious about the drawing and focus on just the concept. Great for preliminary work.
* It's the quickest way of getting a compulsory doodle out and I can open it at any time.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideapad/miix/miix-700/

The first option on the page (Part Number: 80QL0020US) is Core M5 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD for $524.99 (from $1099) The Lenovo Active Pen for it is also discounted to $24.99 (from $39.99). If you order today, they will get it to you by 24th.

This tablet IMO is the best Surface Pro 4 clone for the money, and even better than Surface Pro for art because of the Wacom AES pen compatibility (thanks to 1 gram IAF). Artist tablet of the year for 2016 IMO. And with the new model (Miix 720) on the horizon, Lenovo themselves are discounting it hard. IMO Miix 720 isn't improved enough to warrant the normal undiscounted price they will ask for (over a grand for similar specs), and the real improvement, the ability to get one equipped with 16GB of RAM and the NVMe SSD will be significantly more expensive than this $525 deal.

Mate this thing with the Wacom Expresskey Remote ($100 from Wacom), and you will have a kickass 2D mobile art tablet set up in Photoshop, Painter or Clip Studio Paint.

Get it for yourself or a loved one for Xmas.

to back up Shog, I've been using my miix 700 for art on the go and its been great. no complaints here

I've been using the Wacom Expresskey Remote with the Miix 700 recently. Now I don't miss pen barrel mapping of hotkeys. Miix 700 art experience is thus, complete. *confettis*

Get yourself one if you don't already have one. Miix 700 has two USB ports so you aren't screwed out of your only USB ports like on SP4 if you use the Wacom Expresskey Remote.

c04923688.png
c04923670.png

Some pawn shop in Mississippi is selling a barely used HP Pavilion X2 12 with Core M3, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD for Buy It Now price of $365!. This tablet uses the same Wacom AES pen compatible Elan touch panel as Lenovo Miix 700.

Obviously this is eBay, and all the caveats and warnings applies, but you have pretty good protection as a buyer on eBay, and the the model listed is clearly the Core M3 version and not the Atom X7 version that normally sells for that price. I think the seller simply did not research well enough to set his BIN price. He also has decent ratings (99.3%).

So if you are interested in buying a 12" Windows 2 in 1 that you can use Wacom AES pen with for $365, you should jump on this deal.

Note that the pen the guy is selling it with is a garabge BT Adonit pen. You need to get a proper AES pen ($40 from Wacom).

Also note that I have nothing to do with this eBay sale and cannot be responsible if the dude is a flake or if the device is a lemon.

PSY・S;226960300 said:
You can now set ink opacity to change with pen pressure. If I'm not mistaken this wasn't an option before. At least not it the English version.

You are correct. But IMO the "flat marker" is a much cooler addition.

The first option on the page (Part Number: 80QL0020US) is Core M5 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD for $524.99 (from $1099) The Lenovo Active Pen for it is also discounted to $24.99 (from $39.99). If you order today, they will get it to you by 24th.

This tablet IMO is the best Surface Pro 4 clone for the money, and even better than Surface Pro for art because of the Wacom AES pen compatibility (thanks to 1 gram IAF). Artist tablet of the year for 2016 IMO. And with the new model (Miix 720) on the horizon, Lenovo themselves are discounting it hard. IMO Miix 720 isn't improved enough to warrant the normal undiscounted price they will ask for (over a grand for similar specs), and the real improvement, the ability to get one equipped with 16GB of RAM and the NVMe SSD will be significantly more expensive than this $525 deal.

Mate this thing with the Wacom Expresskey Remote ($100 from Wacom), and you will have a kickass 2D mobile art tablet set up in Photoshop, Painter or Clip Studio Paint.

i got myself one of these and it is pretty awesome so far, thanks to your recommendations / this thread...one question, can this be charged w/ a portable USB battery? The charger connection is basically USB, but the tablet connection is some weird USB mutant.

Ran rp

Shog do you know of any good portable SSDs? I want more than 500GB of additional usable space but it looks like the only option for a single device is to go up to the 900GB+ range. I guess I could also get a 500GB SSD and pair it with a 128GB mSD. Normally I would just go for a 1-3TB HDD but since this is a tablet I'll be carrying everywhere durability is important.

Edit: I think I'll just go with this 1T Samsung SSD. With Christmas money I can get it for ~$200.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVF6UO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Actually, would it be feasible to use this 850GB internal SSD as an external one with an adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRFFAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wanders

~$490 with code USPM700US105

Just bought one. Hoping the high DPI won't cause any problems... Can't wait to sketch again :)

The Dell Canvas is using age old Wacom UD series frequency EMR board (like 1st gen Surface Pro). Worked perfectly with my personal UD pen I brought. It will ship with "Wacom drivers" which probably means Feel driver, which won't expose pen tilt. CES pre pro sample indeed didnt use pen tilt with their own pen nor my old trusty Axiotron base pen in Photoshop. In Android apps, these same UD pens can give you pen tilt if the app developer allows it.

Think of Dell Canvas as Wacom approved bargain 27QHD, but at $1800, its still spendy. The multitouch is probably lightyears better than the 27QHD Touch though, and 27QHD Touch iirc is almost $3K.

Their Surface Dial clone is actually only using multitouch and no electronics at all. No BT, no batteries. Just a clever liitle thing with button actuated 5th touch point for click action. Spinning is accomplished by physically spinning the whole totem. Cheap yet still very effective. I like it.

Any recommendation for a stylus for iPad Air 2? Mainly for drawing; don't care about writing. Not a pro so stuff like high pressure sensitivity isn't needed. I just want something that's responsive and with palm rejection.

I keep reading about the screen issue, so I'm torn which one to buy.

Not sure which drawing app to go for. I like Sketchbook on my Note 4.

Just got home from CES and need to start editing the videos and writing something up for Tablet PC Review.

As for Dell Canvas and Wacom, with their EMR patents expired, and with them having lost Surface family OEM win to N-Trig, Wacom have really cornered themselves into the super high end professional market, and parts market for ODMs. Dell Canvas decision is something they probably made to make at least some money in the post patent period with the slew of super affordable Cintiq competitors that are already flooding the marketplace. 22HD and 22HD Touch will be pretty much toast. They can only now count on brand whores at that size with the Dell Canvas occupying the same price as the 22HD. And they priced the new 15" Cintiq as if the 22HD doesn't matter anymore to them either, only a few hundred less than the 22HD @ $1500.

I don't know if this means there will be a 22" replacement coming soon or not. It's really THE mainstream size. Most design studios don't choose the 27QHD because it's too honkin big, not because of the price. So they will have to make another 22" soon. Will higher resolution and artificially cranked 8K pressure levels be enough to distinguish this hypothetical new model from the Dell Canvas? Probably not, but it will win a lot of corporate sales due to it's perfect size and having way better support than the Chinese pen displays. Dell will definitely steal significant sales from 27QHD with the Canvas. But so will Surface Studio IMO.

As for 27QHD, it will have to be improved and replaced to justify its price, or lower the price soon. The screen looks a bit lackluster next to the Surface Studio, and the experience difference between 27QHD and the Dell Canvas isn't noticeable at all to justify $400~1000 difference in price. Dell is getting a proper Wacom Wintab driver for the Canvas. So 27QHD doesn't even have the same legacy app driver advantage it has against the Chinese pen displays as against the Canvas.

As Microsoft's RealTime Stylus API gets more and more traction from app developers, one of Wacom's few aces in their sleeve of the legacy Wintab support is almost done too. Only thing left will be their pressure tip assembly and its 1 gram of initial activation force. What they should really be doing is selling pan-protocol active pen with tilt for ALL active electrostatic active pen touch screens. Make that pen be compatible with N-Trig, Atmel, Synaptic and ALL AES panels, add second sensor for tilt, and charge $100. One pen to rule them all. THAT'S how they generate real revenues in this post EMR patent, RealTime Stylus API world.

bounchfx

great writeup, shog.

I was always wondering why they kept making BIGGER screens. I just assumed there must be enough demand... I had a 24 at work and I thought even that was too fucking big (even though the weight of the original was the biggest issue IMO). 22 is my absolute sweet spot. I'm still using the 21UX right now but that's because i have had zero issues with it. If I replace in the future it won't be to something larger than 22 so I really hope they have a new/BETTER variation of it out by then, otherwise ill get the older one.

great writeup, shog.

I was always wondering why they kept making BIGGER screens. I just assumed there must be enough demand... I had a 24 at work and I thought even that was too fucking big (even though the weight of the original was the biggest issue IMO). 22 is my absolute sweet spot. I'm still using the 21UX right now but that's because i have had zero issues with it. If I replace in the future it won't be to something larger than 22 so I really hope they have a new/BETTER variation of it out by then, otherwise ill get the older one.

Thanks. I will post my Canvas video soon.

I also still have the 21UX as my Cintiq since I find it equivalent pen experience as newer Cintiqs I've used, including 27QHD, but since I rely a lot on multitouch UI, I find myself sticking to my Wacom AES Windows 2 in 1s. The Dell Inspiron 15 7568 is my go to device at home, and the Miix 700 the go to device on the road. Both are plenty good for doing art. Slightly different pen feel but also excellent as the Cintiqs.

Timo

This is gonna be an exciting year or two. Im in the market again for something new, the competition and innovation hopefully means i can get me something good and relatively cheap. I like shogs one pen to rule them all, and they did recently announce for the frst time in a year the universal pen is getting worked on still from wacom.

This is gonna be an exciting year or two. Im in the market again for something new, the competition and innovation hopefully means i can get me something good and relatively cheap. I like shogs one pen to rule them all, and they did recently announce for the frst time in a year the universal pen is getting worked on still from wacom.

That's not a universal pen per se. It's only dual protocol between N-Trig Duo Sense 2 and Wacom AES. I couldn't find Wacom people at the show since their idea of a booth was a joke and abandoned by Saturday so I couldn't ask about it but I suspect that the pen has been delayed from original end of 2016 to April 2017 for the Windows 10 Creator's update that should recognize the new features of the new pen (i.e. tilt).

Universal Stylus Initiative people weren't available either and I'm having doubts whether it will go anywhere without Microsoft on board.

Arex

I really want the 22HD replacement, 20-23" is my sweet spot.. My companion at 13" feels pretty small compared to my 25" monitor, and the new cintiq pro 15 may be too small for an upgrade while 27 is really too big. Not sure why Wacom still hasn't refresh the 22HD line till now :\

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
So I just purchased a Lenovo Miix 700 (Intel M5, 12GB SDRAM, 256GB SSD) and a Lenovo Active Pen. It should be arriving by tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be looking to purchase? Any thoughts regarding screen protectors?

So I just purchased a Lenovo Miix 700 (Intel M5, 12GB SDRAM, 256GB SSD) and a Lenovo Active Pen. It should be arriving by tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be looking to purchase? Any thoughts regarding screen protectors?

Skip the screen protector. The screen is very durable. Only get a screen overlay if your want texture feel since Gorilla Glass is very smooth.

Get the Wacom Expresskey Remote. It's $100 so not cheap, but it gives you like 17 shortcut keys plus 3 ring functions. You will need it since the pen's barrel buttons can't be mapped. With the Expresskey Remote, you don't really need a keyboard for shortcuts.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/express-key-remote-s01#/undefined1

Mik2121

After a long while undecided on what would I use the most for a portable tablet for art, I ended up purchasing an iPad Pro 9.7" with the Apple Pencil.
It's probably one of the more expensive solutions out there but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion that I don't plan on doing full paintings on the move (I'd rather do that at work or at home with an actual PC, a wacom tablet and a full size keyboard), so I'd want something that is stable, easy to use and fast.

I'm a somewhat Apple fan, with an Apple Watch and iPhone since I got my first with iPhone 4S. I've also had a MacBook Pro (though I went back to just having my desktop only) and an iPad, so I'm probably already fairly biased when it comes to OS for mobile devices. However after buying the Pro just two days ago, I'm really happy with the purchase since it's all I expected (already used Procreate on my old iPad but just with my fingers) and then some. Expensive, sure. Probably limited to what I can do, sure. Fits what I needed, that is, something I can have on my backpack to pop out when I wanna do some fast sketch somewhere out there or being able to bring it to a meeting at work or something and use it to sketch out things and then send the files? More than good enough.

I won't recommend it to the people expecting a tool that lets you do full art pieces that involve more involved stuff like photobashing or using photos or textures to add detail, since that probably takes a while, but otherwise? Yes. Either way, for full pieces like the ones I described, I don't think i'd like to use a tablet, but that's just my opinion.

Last but not least, Shogmaster, thanks for keeping this thread up. I've lurked it so many times since you made it, even posting about how expensive everything is, but last week I was stuck here all the time making final decisions. Again, thanks!

And wow, that was a slightly lengthy post. Sorry!

Edit: A couple things regarding the iPad Pro. The slippery surface took me a full day to get used and I was slightly worried for a bit. After a while I got used and now it doesn't bother me, but for anyone considering a purchase, I'd say go to an Apple Store and play around with one if possible.
Also, the pressure sensitivity doesn't feel 100% right currently, but there's a sensitivity curve editor in Procreate so I might modify it a bit if it bothers me. Right now I've done a couple sketches already and most of the time it was alright, though I don't like having to press so much to get the full pressure (the sensitivity on my Wacom is way lighter).

After a long while undecided on what would I use the most for a portable tablet for art, I ended up purchasing an iPad Pro 9.7" with the Apple Pencil.
It's probably one of the more expensive solutions out there but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion that I don't plan on doing full paintings on the move (I'd rather do that at work or at home with an actual PC, a wacom tablet and a full size keyboard), so I'd want something that is stable, easy to use and fast.

I'm a somewhat Apple fan, with an Apple Watch and iPhone since I got my first with iPhone 4S. I've also had a MacBook Pro (though I went back to just having my desktop only) and an iPad, so I'm probably already fairly biased when it comes to OS for mobile devices. However after buying the Pro just two days ago, I'm really happy with the purchase since it's all I expected (already used Procreate on my old iPad but just with my fingers) and then some. Expensive, sure. Probably limited to what I can do, sure. Fits what I needed, that is, something I can have on my backpack to pop out when I wanna do some fast sketch somewhere out there or being able to bring it to a meeting at work or something and use it to sketch out things and then send the files? More than good enough.

I won't recommend it to the people expecting a tool that lets you do full art pieces that involve more involved stuff like photobashing or using photos or textures to add detail, since that probably takes a while, but otherwise? Yes. Either way, for full pieces like the ones I described, I don't think i'd like to use a tablet, but that's just my opinion.

Last but not least, Shogmaster, thanks for keeping this thread up. I've lurked it so many times since you made it, even posting about how expensive everything is, but last week I was stuck here all the time making final decisions. Again, thanks!

And wow, that was a slightly lengthy post. Sorry!

Edit: A couple things regarding the iPad Pro. The slippery surface took me a full day to get used and I was slightly worried for a bit. After a while I got used and now it doesn't bother me, but for anyone considering a purchase, I'd say go to an Apple Store and play around with one if possible.
Also, the pressure sensitivity doesn't feel 100% right currently, but there's a sensitivity curve editor in Procreate so I might modify it a bit if it bothers me. Right now I've done a couple sketches already and most of the time it was alright, though I don't like having to press so much to get the full pressure (the sensitivity on my Wacom is way lighter).
It's my pleasure to keep this thread going. I'm right now trying to process all the videos and stuff from CES. I'll post some interesting stuff soon.

BTW, If you are use to Wacom pen pressure curve, you need to tweak the pressure curve on the Apple Pencil so it doesn't start making marks until you press down on the tip. Default setting is to start at pressure level 1 just by breaking the electro static layer (meaning you are not even touching down on the surface).

tribal24

Banned
I just got my iPad pro 12.9 inch 2 days ago and the pencil is amazing. Before i got it , i was playing around with a surface book and that device is pretty cool the stylus on it didn't feel good to me. I have to give apple credit for the pencil it just feels very natural. Im excited for the next revision of pros because know new apps will get announced.

Shog, waiting on your video for your further Canvas impressions. I'm in dire need of a replacement soon for my 20WSX and the Canvas might be the sweet spot for me. You say the screen isn't as nice as the Surface Studio, but how is it next to a normal 27QHD? Any semblance of a more robust stand for the Canvas at the Dell booth?

Xun

I just got my iPad pro 12.9 inch 2 days ago and the pencil is amazing. Before i got it , i was playing around with a surface book and that device is pretty cool the stylus on it didn't feel good to me. I have to give apple credit for the pencil it just feels very natural. Im excited for the next revision of pros because know new apps will get announced.
The Pencil is their best new product in a long time.

I'm still hoping for a larger iPad or a Pencil supported iMac at some point...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/919542/HP-Pavilion-x2-Detachable-Laptop-12/

W8A14EA-ABU_4_1750x1285.jpg

HP Pavilion X2 12 with Skylake Core M3, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD is now heavily discounted at $399 at Office Depot (usually goes for $550~$600). It's $90 less than the Atom version for whatever wacky reason at Office Depot.

This 2 in 1 has detachable KB included, that makes it a proper laptop when docked, unlike the Surface Pros and Lenovo Miix 510/700/720 etc. with floppy KB covers. The screen is using Elan touch panel just like Miix 700, which allows you to use Wacom's $40 Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 pen with it. Functions just as well as my Miix 700.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNonAfVMaTsv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfitvm9Lb8Y

Mobius 1

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/919542/HP-Pavilion-x2-Detachable-Laptop-12/

HP Pavilion X2 12 with Skylake Core M3, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD is now heavily discounted at $399 at Office Depot (usually goes for $550~$600). It's $90 less than the Atom version for whatever wacky reason at Office Depot.

This 2 in 1 has detachable KB included, that makes it a proper laptop when docked, unlike the Surface Pros and Lenovo Miix 510/700/720 etc. with floppy KB covers. The screen is using Elan touch panel just like Miix 700, which allows you to use Wacom's $40 Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 pen with it. Functions just as well as my Miix 700.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNonAfVMaTsv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfitvm9Lb8Y

I was about to pull the trigger on the Miix700 for my brother... I like the real keyboard on this, but the Miix has better hardware. Decisions.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
does anyone here have experience with selling a large tablet like a cintiq?

I posted on craigslist, and am considering ebay. However my hesitance is in the fact that I dont know how to arrange protection with the shipping, or even what to be shipping the thing in. I no longer have the box it came with, which probably would have been best.

Etzer

Just wanted to post in this thread because I saw the Wacom Expresskey Remote mentioned above and wanted to let people know that a PlayStation Move Navigation controller is a decent option if you want a cheap, wireless device for shortcut keys. I paid $9 for a used one on Amazon and set it up with Xpadder for 14 shortcuts in Clip Studio Paint. Install ScpToolkit and Xpadder and you're good to go.

Mailbox

Just wanted to post in this thread because I saw the Wacom Expresskey Remote mentioned above and wanted to let people know that a PlayStation Move Navigation controller is a decent option if you want a cheap, wireless device for shortcut keys. I paid $9 for a used one on Amazon and set it up with Xpadder for 14 shortcuts in Clip Studio Paint. Install ScpToolkit and Xpadder and you're good to go.

Ditto.
Though I used Scp and joy2key.

edit: just checked and i use 30ish hotkeys over 2 action sets

wanders

Shog can you help me?

Just received my miix 700 but I'm getting a weird palm rejection issue where the pen would make ghost touches when I hover over the screen marking everything up. Also when I sketch a line slowly it's super wiggly

M3d10n

I'm a programmer, not an artist, so after much deliberation I decided I'm going to buy the i5 Acer Switch Alpha 12 (refurbished) for $579. Battery life is reported to be subpar compared to the Core M hybrids, but I prefer a beefier CPU, need 8GB of RAM and can't really afford a Surface Pro 4.

Anyone owns one?

Ran rp

This is genius. Bless.

I've been using this for a while as well, but never got the wireless working properly with my SP4. So I have to use a USB cable. Still really handy though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been bouncing between a few ideas and was hoping someone here could weigh in. Are there any "affordable" tablets that will run AutoCAD well enough? I've been looking at an iPad Pro for art, but it limits my options for Work use (Excel, AutoCAD, MathCAD, etc). I owned a Surface Pro 4 for a while, but the software was a buggy mess. It froze a lot, crashed, stop registering, etc.

What options exist that can cover both uses without TOO much of a bank breaker?

E: This is what Autodesk lists as the Display Card requirements for 3D CAD work:

1600x1050 or greater True Color video display adapter; 128 MB VRAM or greater; Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater; Direct3D®-capable workstation class graphics card.

While I wouldn't do a LOT of that, it would be nice to have as an option.

Top Bottom