• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Probably not the best place to ask this, but...

A buddy of mine is looking for a laptop to use with a 3D Printer and 123D Catch.

He's currently looking in the $300 to $500 USD range and asked me about the ASUS Flip with the i5 and 6GB RAM. I'm not familiar with laptop performance.

He previously had a Microsoft Surface that shit the bed and Microsoft would not repair, so he's gun-shy when it comes to expensive tablets at the moment.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm pretty new to digital art... for a long time I used 'ArtFlow' on my Note 5 and made some cool stuff. Art flow was fun and easy to use... then I "upgraded" to the Note 7 and you can all guess how well that went.
Anyways I went months without an alternative until I forced myself to sit down and find a good program for my Surface book.

I originally tried Sketchbook for my Surface Book a year and 1/2 ago but the stylus just didn't work right on it and I always felt like my precision was off (even though it was correctly calibrated.) I hardly ever used the pen until 2 weeks ago I said to hell with it I'm gonna find a program.

I did some digging and found Sketchable and I LOVE IT!!!

Ran rp

This 2 in 1 has detachable KB included, that makes it a proper laptop when docked, unlike the Surface Pros and Lenovo Miix 510/700/720 etc. with floppy KB covers. The screen is using Elan touch panel just like Miix 700, which allows you to use Wacom's $40 Bamboo Smart for Select 2 in 1 pen with it. Functions just as well as my Miix 700.

Here's the page to buy this pen.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/Bamboo-Smart-for-select-tablets-and-2in1-S01

Idk why the previous link keeps sending me to a store locator.

Remember that one Windows Tablet that went full retard on thinness by only having one USB-C port? It is remarkably thin and light for 12" Windows tablet (0.27" and 1.4 lbs). It's quite capable too, with similar specs as the Core M version of Surface Pro 4 but using Wacom AES instead of N-Trig pen.

Well it's on sale TODAY ONLY at Newegg for $450, $550, and $650 for Core M3/4GB/128, Core M5/8GB/256GB, or Core M5/8GB/512GB (This link might be necessary for the $450 deal).

If you can deal with dongles for USB-C then go for this amazing deal.

34-324-006-03.jpg

34-324-006-02.jpg

34-324-006-19.jpg

EDIT: Deal apparently lasts until Sunday.

Ordered the $650 version, thanks, Shog. My oldest daughter really digs drawing on my old Samsung note 10.1, so I'm going to gift her that and use this dongle machine for mehself. 😁

gamz

Ordered the $650 version, thanks, Shog. My oldest daughter really digs drawing on my old Samsung note 10.1, so I'm going to gift her that and use this dongle machine for mehself. 😁

Let me know how it is once you get it. Very tempting!

Congrats. Should be great for painting/drawing on the go. Rick (Surface Pro Artist) carries it around as his main tablet due to it's light weight. He likes it a lot.

What I want to know if we will get any regular Surface again. After Atom stopped being a thing, MS hasn't bothered to release a Surface 4.

I don't think I want Atom in a device costing over $300 anymore tbh... And Core M is too expensive to replace Atom in Surface 4 since Core M is just as expensive as Core U.

I don't think I want a Surface 4 anyways, with all these 3rd party tablets occupying the same price target as Surface 4 with Core M. MS just can't compete with those in price while still doing a 10.6" premium device.

I have a Surface (non-Pro) 3 once. It was not a good experience at all

My experience was, that it was a very nice device entirely let down by the anemic processor and pathetically slow storage. It it had Core M and SSD, I would have kept it for sure. It deserved Core M (not Atom), true SSD and 4GB RAM minimum.

WillyFive

Yeah, I'm not happy with my Surface 3; but I'm not sure what do with it now, I bought it a while ago and not sure I can sell it.

Yeah, I'm not happy with my Surface 3; but I'm not sure what do with it now, I bought it a while ago and not sure I can sell it.

I tried to sell it for 3 months and only got insulting offers. I ended up gifting it to a friend's young daughter who had real interest in digital art. I'd much rather give it away to friends then to sell it to lowballing asshole strangers.

WillyFive

I tried to sell it for 3 months and only got insulting offers. I ended up gifting it to a friend's young daughter who had real interest in digital art. I'd much rather give it away to friends then to sell it to lowballing asshole strangers.

That sucks, but understandable. The Surface 3 fails at simple tasks. Simply charging is a major struggle for it, and it's storage is so slow that I can barely use it for animating; my save files keep getting corrupted because the Surface 3 is too slow for Google Drive to reliably back the files up. Heck, the first time I opened up the Surface, it crashed at setting up my Windows user account. These are basic, basic things that something like an iPad would have no problem doing, but it's a struggle for a Surface 3.

That sucks, but understandable. The Surface 3 fails at simple tasks. Simply charging is a major struggle for it, and it's storage is so slow that I can barely use it for animating; my save files keep getting corrupted because the Surface 3 is too slow for Google Drive to reliably back the files up. Heck, the first time I opened up the Surface, it crashed at setting up my Windows user account. These are basic, basic things that something like an iPad would have no problem doing, but it's a struggle for a Surface 3.
Mine wasn't that bad at least, but when my typical layered psd file from Clip Studio Paint takes over 10 seconds to save, it's fucking stupid...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How is the pen on that MateBook? I was going to get an iPad Pro, but that's cheaper AND runs Windows.

Also, how is the device in general? Better stability than the Surface line? I had a Pro 4 before returning it, used my coworkers Pro 3, and my OTHER coworkers Surface Book...All 3 devices gave me headaches with glitching and freezing (as recently as last week).

danthefan

I got a SP4 back around Black Friday, could anyone recommend any material (tutorials, ebooks etc) for a total beginner to art/digital art? I'd like to learn how to draw a bit but I don't even know what tools to use for example.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got a SP4 back around Black Friday, could anyone recommend any material (tutorials, ebooks etc) for a total beginner to art/digital art? I'd like to learn how to draw a bit but I don't even know what tools to use for example.

This is where I'm currently working through:

http://drawabox.com/

More people will suggest other things, but to learn how to DRAW, you can use those lessons. Not digital specific, but good art lessons.

The $650 matebook is sold out and I lost out. 😖

I try to stay local when it's feasible and so I use a local Chicago bank - but now they can fuck right off. Repeat troubles with big purchases and out of state buys, both last second and planned. I've called, gotten authorization down to the fucking cent - still fucking cancelled and order voided. My inbox looks like a first-world joke with all the Newegg confirmations and order-voided emails. I have an email for Google's order protection for everyone one, I'm surprised Google hasn't thrown a red flag at me.

So unhappy right now. Fuck you, byline bank, I'm going to chase and it feels bad. 😤😭

Swig_

Does anyone else use the Monoprice 22 inch tablet? I'm trying to install the drivers, but it's stuck on "Please connect Tablet with your computer", despite following the instructions correctly.

Etzer

How would something older and cheaper, like a Toshiba Portege Z10T (i7-4610Y, 8GB), compare to the maxed out Miix 700? I could get the Z10T for half the price of the Miix 700.

I've yet to use a Wacom AES device, but my understanding is that it's better near the edges but suffers from some jittering when drawing slowly, compared to EMR?

How would something older and cheaper, like a Toshiba Portege Z10T (i7-4610Y, 8GB), compare to the maxed out Miix 700? I could get the Z10T for half the price of the Miix 700.

I've yet to use a Wacom AES device, but my understanding is that it's better near the edges but suffers from some jittering when drawing slowly, compared to EMR?
Miix 700 would be noticeably faster. Also 700 has much higher res panel. AES diagonal jitter only affects you if you draw really slowly.

KRaZyAmmo

How much are used surface 3s going for these day? I feel like itd more comfortable for me to draw on than a separate tablet connected to the computer via usb.

so there are already a couple of video reviews on youtube of the dell canvas. Looks pretty cool and its about $1,000 cheaper than the Cintiq 27HD touch

canvas-2.jpg

I love this thing. My fav thing at CES pen wise.

The interesting thing about it is, It's not using DTK pen frequency like Cintiq 27QHD. It's actually using Penabled EMR frequency, like Samsung S-Pens and older Tablet PCs like T902, Surface Pro 2, etc. This is great since you still get pen tilt like 27QHD (all Wacom EMR pens have necessary hardware to do tilt. They only lock that functionality out in digitizer board firmware), but the replacement pens are as low as $25 per pen! (Fujitsu still sells their UD EMR pen 2 pack for $50).

How I found that out was hilarious. I was at the Dell event, was talking to the product development lady, and by habit took out my trusty Axiotron Modbook pen (which back in the day I bought like 5 of them for $15 each on eBay) and started to use it on the Canvas, not expecting it to do anything. But to my and the Dell lady's surprise, it worked! It worked just as well as the Dell pen, which BTW does not have an earser on the back. I had to explain to the Dell lady about all the Wacom pen frequencies but I could tell she was like dunno, don't care. Ah... marketing product managers... They are practically useless when it comes to tech stuff.

Anyways, this thing IMO kills 27QHD in value since the pen action is just as good, but the touch is thrown in for that $1800 price and it's FANTASTIC! I never felt multitouch action that smooth on a large Cintiq before. 22HD Touch and s4HD Touch were horrible. I don't know if 24QHD Touch improved since those two, but Dell Canvas has touch as good as Surface Pro 4.

When it comes out and you were in a market for 27QHD, get this instead. They will have the Wacom Wintab driver for it and everything. It's awesome. And if you are getting one for work, getting a Dell computer accessory is like zero problem for corporate purchases.

BTW, the reason Wacom is happy to provide Dell with parts and support for the Canvas is because they will be replace the 27QHD soon. This is just my educated guess, but you will see either a 27" or 28" 4K replacement soon. And prepare to pay through the nose if you want the oh I don't know, let's call it Cintiq 27/28UHD Pro.

This isn't a mobile device, but the deal is too good not to mention.

So apparently Best Buy is closing out all their old in store stock of Cintiq 13HD, which goes for $799 MSRP. This is strictly in store only, and YMMV sort of thing. Just check if your local store has one in stock, don't do anything stupid like ask about the deal, and check in person if it rings up at $400. If it does, buy it. If it doesn't, just walk away. Simple.

9162124_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

https://slickdeals.net/f/10031796-wacom-cintiq-13hd-on-clearance-400-ymmv-in-store-only

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wacom-c...bc01c2e11e788ab8a32ab4f37210INT&skuId=9162124

Ran rp

Taking a quick look at reddit the creators update seems to be breaking a bunch of shit. Hope it doesn't get in the way of my work.

Melpontro

So apparently Best Buy is closing out all their old in store stock of Cintiq 13HD, which goes for $799 MSRP. This is strictly in store only, and YMMV sort of thing. Just check if your local store has one in stock, don't do anything stupid like ask about the deal, and check in person if it rings up at $400. If it does, buy it. If it doesn't, just walk away. Simple.
I guess this explains why I was refunded 400 dollars when I picked mine up. Looks like this was applied to any pending store pickup orders as well.

9162124_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

https://slickdeals.net/f/10031796-wacom-cintiq-13hd-on-clearance-400-ymmv-in-store-only

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wacom-c...bc01c2e11e788ab8a32ab4f37210INT&skuId=9162124
Oh fuck :eek:

Lisa from MTR goes indepth on a Dell Lattitude Surface competitor. Good video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsOFAkR-uXo

It's a interesting point that Surface is a Trojan Horse. It's designed to make most consumers see the value in touch computing. If the competitors mimmick surface and outdoes it, Microsoft still wins.

So where is my 15-inch quadcore portable GTX 1060x, 2-in-1, with good battery then?

Will somebody for the love of god make a fucking convertible that is powerful to run Adobe CCs unoptimized shit.

The appeal of having touch on the Windows OS natively would be things like drawing directly in illustrator and after effects. Things get choppy real quick. ulv CPUs are a no go. The manufacs have to step their game up. We do have quadcore CPU driven ultraportables with 6+ hours of battery. They can make a creative / business / gaming hybrid convertible that would rock the shit out of everything.

Lenovo most certainly don't seem like they give a fuck. They seem completely content with bundling their Yogas with horseshit. It kills me, because they got so many Yogas now. It just doesn't make sense how little variation in consumer needs they have over so many Yoga models.

That was my big issue buying my last laptop. Needed a 2 in 1 for longhand note taking and annotating with enough horsepower to run SolidEdge. Nothing in the 1000 series yet.

Timbuktu

Still no word on that bezel free iPad Pro? Strange that it's gone quiet. With the Surface Pro 5 delays as well, it's quite a wait, not sure which one will show up first.

Obi

Neo Member
I was able to pick up the Miix 700 m7-6Y75/4GB/128GB for $392. It's been flipping between available and sold out for the past few hours on outlet.lenovo.com. Check it out maybe you'll get lucky. Thanks for the recommendation Shog. A disappointing looking Surface Pro 5 made this a pretty easy purchase.

Btw: Is the Bamboo Smart Pen the reccomended pen to get for this tablet?

Edit: Hmmm... I got the tablet in and it has the Core m5 instead of the m7 listed in the description. Feeling a little cheated, but I don't know if there is a big difference between the two.

http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_620996.html

1492740302521668183.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2rX9KgLqbc&t=6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72JKrKV3HYk

OK kids. This is an interesting one. CUBE who brought us ultra cheap versions of Surface Pro 2 in the past is now doing something similar with Surface Book screen parts.

Thinker i35 (Thinker is apparently their new PREMIUM branding lol) is using exactly the same 3000x2000 13.5" 3:2 screen and digitizer from Surface Book. This obviously means you can use Surface pens on this sucker. BUT, the screen does NOT detach, nor spin around 360 degrees. It does however, lie down pretty much flat, so you can force Windows into Portrait or upside down Landscape and draw on it. Crazy, right?

The specs aren't too bad. 7th gen Core M3, 8GB of DDR3L, and 256GB SATA SSD. And it's got "premium" aluminum build as well. But best of all, you can draw on gorgeous Surface Book screen for $617! Pen is not included but look at the price lolz

Gear Best is all the way in HK (IIRC) but it's a reliable online retailer. Import tax might apply depending on where you ship to? Never bought anything from them. But their rep is solid.

Top Bottom