• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Doomshine

It's like. I see it work for him. But I can't make it work for my life. I'm on pad tho. Even watched all the pad tutorials and still nothing. My inputs on screen even match theirs. It's insanity.

After the 2nd BDC it's a crap shoot.

Try doing it slowly like he does here and gradually increase the speed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any Dragunov players have any tips for dealing with super aggressive rushdowns?

His buttons (outside of jab) seem really slow and I get blown up real bad unless I just poke a jab out in between strings. Characters like Josie can just lock me down. I know there's gotta be some tactic to deal with this but I'm stumped.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Love this game so much, but having something as simple as back dashing to be able to play footsies and space attacks be a difficult skill is discouraging. Cant seem to get the movement down and that's so key to all fighting games. Don't have as much free time as I would like to just sit there for hours practicing back dash it's frustrating.

Doomshine

His buttons (outside of jab) seem really slow and I get blown up real bad unless I just poke a jab out in between strings. Characters like Josie can just lock me down. I know there's gotta be some tactic to deal with this but I'm stumped.

A lot of times I find that it's best to just be patient and block, backdash or sidestep. Jab can be good like you said, especially if you're able to CH confirm 1,2,1. Generic db+1 is also an option. If you feel like trying riskier stuff there's reversals, power crush, his built in punch parry with b+3+4, qcb+2 backswing blow (really risky).

GrayFoxPL

My measly Drag experience notes:

You shouldn't be outpoked with Drag. His df+1 is 13 frames +7 on hit only -2 on block, spammable as fuck. His 4 is only 12 frames, safe and goes to 4,1, 4,3 and 4,4. 1,2 is high mid from 10 frames. High 10 frames - 1,2 1,3, 2,1 and 1,1. Ws 1 is also about 12 frames, it's important to have that iws game with Drag. B+2 is good too, makes dragunov crouch(still?). Mixing everything with d+2 should give you advantage in poke game.

If you're asking about bigger moves have you tried doing one backdash into df+2? I get hit by it all the time. It's 15 frame launcher but looks faster then it is and often can crush approaching high jabs.

qcf+2 is a pretty great launcher, only -13 and Drag crouches during windup.

Uf+4 is amazing low crush, safe and leads to d+4,1,4. Uf+3 for a quick "back off" option also low crush.

For a hail marry there's always qcb+2 option - evasive, launches rushing in players but -15 on block.

Note this is mostly from Tag2, but from Dragunovs I fought in T7 it still rings true.

Rajang

I disagree that beginners need to learn korean back dash, that's the advanced stuff. Imo, keep it simple in the beginning. You can also start with cancelling your back dash with a sidestep to create space more quickly than a regular back dash. Back dash > sidestep > back dash.

what can i do against moves with armor in tekken?
just played a match were i got destroyed by those :-/

Block and punish, most of them are unsafe. They are also high so you can duck them.

GrayFoxPL

I disagree that beginners need to learn korean back dash, that's the advanced stuff. Imo, keep it simple in the beginning. You can also start with cancelling your back dash with a sidestep to create space more quickly than a regular back dash. Back dash > sidestep > back dash.

Block and punish, most of them are unsafe. They are also high so you can duck them.

I wish T7 allowed ub to cancel b,b. Would make my life easier. But yeah b,b sidestep works and allows for that sidestep option at any point.

GrayFoxPL

They are high and mid armor moves.

Just use lows and if you have fast string like high,high, low, it'll stop them before they hit you.

Doomshine

ah thats good to know :)

thanks both of you for the quick replys

Not all of them are high, but yeah most of them are punishable. If you're worried about them and don't want to commit to anything big you can stick out a jab and you will most likely be able to block in time even if it gets armored.

GrayFoxPL

Armor moves feel like suicide but if you read right they can be good to stop usual Tekken tricks.

I mean stopping "just do it" hopicks, stuff like Bryan's pressuring b+1 or Kazuya's f+4. But damn, if the read isn't right...

dXvnCn7.gif

I wish you could turn on rage in the warm-up zone so I can practice rage drive combos while matchmaking.

Ideally I'd be finding matches so fast I wouldn't have time to practice anyway, but that's not happening.

GrayFoxPL

I wish you could turn on rage in the warm-up zone so I can practice rage drive combos while matchmaking.

Ideally I'd be finding matches so fast I wouldn't have time to practice anyway, but that's not happening.

Yeah at least 3 options in waiting mode would be cool.

Its so annoying running in to people more worried about ranking up than just playing the game. Gimme my runback damn scrub.

I get seriously tilted when someone takes their W and runs. It tilts me more than anything else, lol. If you lose and don't rematch, whatever, but if you win? give me that goddamn runback, I don't even care if I get bodied again.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I havent played Tekken since 3 and I have been trying to focus on practicing the absolute most basic stuff like blocking and movement.
So, so far i spend all my time in the game in the story mode / treasure mode and practice mode.
Ive been also watching Avoiding the puddle streams so I learned some theoretical stuff which im too bad to actual do yet, but watching his matches I started wondering if its a good idea at all to practice versus the AI.

I have it set on normal and the AI is hella aggressive, constantly rushing in so its really easy to just abuse that knowledge. With that in mind, am I doing it wrong?

Im not complaining though, Im having a lot of fun and I guess the hardest part so far has been getting rid of my "I HAVE TO WIN ALL THE THINGS" mindset I had prior playing tekken.
I have to focus more on just learning stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
I havent played Tekken since 3 and I have been trying to focus on practicing the absolute most basic stuff like blocking and movement.
So, so far i spend all my time in the game in the story mode / treasure mode and practice mode.
Ive been also watching Avoiding the puddle streams so I learned some theoretical stuff which im too bad to actual do yet, but watching his matches I started wondering if its a good idea at all to practice versus the AI.

I have it set on normal and the AI is hella aggressive, constantly rushing in so its really easy to just abuse that knowledge. With that in mind, am I doing it wrong?

Im not complaining though, Im having a lot of fun and I guess the hardest part so far has been getting rid of my "I HAVE TO WIN ALL THE THINGS" mindset I had prior playing tekken.

I wouldn't say practicing against the AI is bad at all. It's a great way to commit stuff to muscle memory and recognize when you've hit a CH to go into a juggle and what not. Usually I hit practice for awhile, get my juggles down, learn what my moves do then move to treasure battle. There I can actually test if I'm actually able to do any of that on the fly, and if I can't keep going at it until I do.

GrayFoxPL

This has the worst AI in any Tekken game, even on ultra hard they do nothing, can't do anything, it's useless. Don't rely on AI at all. Just use quick player match and use your own pace to learn the game vs human. It costs nothing, no lose count, just practice.

sasuke_91

This has the worst AI in any Tekken game, even on ultra hard they do nothing, can't do anything, it's useless. Don't rely on AI at all. Just use quick player match and use your own pace to learn the game vs human. It costs nothing, no lose count, just practice.
I agree. In treasure battle the AI is just constantly ducking. Using highs and throws is useless, you can just throw in mid launchers.
The AI also doesn't block rage arts. It's rare for randomly thrown in rage arts to not work on your opponent in treasure battle.

Zeel

They really need to do something about hosts quitting a tournament while its underway. Either by making another player automatically take over as host or by severe punishment, ie. a 1 week ban. This is infuriating.

GrayFoxPL

I agree. In treasure battle the AI is just constantly ducking. Using highs and throws is useless, you can just throw in mid launchers.
The AI also doesn't block rage arts. It's rare for randomly thrown in rage arts to not work on your opponent in treasure battle.

Yeah. I can say for a fact that individual story mode has ai programmed to get hit by Ragearts every time. Once I checked by hitting RA completely out of range and CPU did a quick double dash forward to get hit by it. XD

Treasure is similar.

Rajang

Yeah. I can say for a fact that individual story mode has ai programmed to get hit by Ragearts every time. Once I checked by hitting RA completely out of range and CPU did a quick double dash forward to get hit by it. XD

Treasure is similar.

Yea I knew that the CPU never blocked RA but thats ridiculous.

LOL

joeblow

Its so annoying running in to people more worried about ranking up than just playing the game. Gimme my runback damn scrub.
If you don't mind playing not playing ranked, try Quick Match. After each fight, it allows rematching like ranked except opponents usually will keep playing unless they aren't as good as you, and they are less likely to lag cheat. I had a good session yesterday with a guy who agreed to 30+ rematches. You should check it out.

CSX

pauls b12 is safe on block. Can only be punished if you duck 2nd hit assuming you block the 1st hit.

nice thing to spam with deathfist :D

NEO0MJ

Tekken players don't know how to fight Akuma
Spam everything

When we played a couple of weeks ago my friends kept complaining about Akuma's gimmicks, even though I lost more than I won XD

I know I need to learn how to do Demon Flip combos. Either I don't cancel to it or if I do I can't land a hit in time and the opponent just hits the floor instead of getting juggled.

I'm trying to learn the basics, but it's hard online. I'll do well for 90% of the match, but then they land one or two massive combos that they picked up online. It's discouraging while I'm trying to improve fundementals. I mean, I guess that's the name of the game, it's just strange. No other fighting game is really like that.

Numb

When we played a couple of weeks ago my friends kept complaining about Akuma's gimmicks, even though I lost more than I won XD

I know I need to learn how to do Demon Flip combos. Either I don't cancel to it or if I do I can't land a hit in time and the opponent just hits the floor instead of getting juggled.

Indeed. His jumpins starting combos is hard to get used to especially in a game where antiairs weren't a thought so doing those you basically get free preassure and the moves out of the jumps and demonflips are the moves that have the best frame advantage for him. So spam that shit. Also getting full combos from a fast low is amazing. ix those up. Another thing is people don't know about wakeup DPs ofc. so those are also mostly free since people like to continue their adv when they got you

I made a shortcut to FADC so i could do it easier

Crayon

I'm trying to learn the basics, but it's hard online. I'll do well for 90% of the match, but then they land one or two massive combos that they picked up online. It's discouraging while I'm trying to improve fundementals. I mean, I guess that's the name of the game, it's just strange. No other fighting game is really like that.

Don't chase wins. Pick a part of your game that needs work and focus on working on it. Learn to improve the point that you are unsatisfied with and learn to enjoy that kind of progression. The wins will just come along later.

Perineum

My character crisis continues. I can win with Lucky Chloe, but like others have voiced wins shouldn't be my goal.

She's just such a troll ass character that can easily eek out wins because no one knows at this level how to deal with her shenanigans. Going back to more honest characters it's more of an uphill battle for me.

A lot of the cast I am still interested in and have messed with. The other character I can do solid damage and understand a variety of his tools is Shaheen, but I feel his ability to people up is extremely tough. Maybe that isn't true and I need to know more about what to be fishing with ?

I also think Gigas is a poor mans Marduk, but boy if he still isn't fun to mess with.

How do people ever even find a main in Tekken? :(

On PC, it takes a long time to matchmake and then "connection lost"

I thought on PS4, the connection lost is fixed?

Feels like the same thing. A long time to find an opponent, then connection lost once in awhile.

It's not consistent, which makes it more irritating. You can have quick matches and then be stuck in limbo for a few minutes

Zafir

On PC, it takes a long time to matchmake and then "connection lost"

I thought on PS4, the connection lost is fixed?
I swapped over to the PS4 version for other reasons (having some PC issues) and I've not really gotten many connection lost messages on PS4. Maybe one, which I assume was someone just declining the match pop up.

That said, match pops can take a while in some cases, and today I had a two mid-match disconnections. One of them could have been a rage quit since I was 2 rounds up on the guy, but the second one I was only 1 up and we were both low in the second round so it seemed a weird time to rage quit.

AAK

On PS4 I still get connection lost 60% of the time. And once you get past green ranks the pool of players available is pretty small and at least half of them are not in very good playing conditions.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Armor moves feel like suicide but if you read right they can be good to stop usual Tekken tricks.

I mean stopping "just do it" hopicks, stuff like Bryan's pressuring b+1 or Kazuya's f+4. But damn, if the read isn't right...

dXvnCn7.gif

Depending on the start up they can be pretty effective against your opponent's oki.

TronWayne

Matchmaking has gotten pretty garbage on PS4 for me, and I can't even play in a private lobby with my friend. We always get kicked after character select. Good thing Capcom is still taking all the heat.

Top Bottom