• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

I've seen some people say that when they asked for revenge match, they got another guy. The following happened to me:
In player quick match I was playing against a beginner Yoshi player A. After that I was playing against a good Yoshi player B.

After first match with B, we both wanted to play again so we agreed to revenge match. Now, when the game loaded, it was still the same stage as I had with Yoshi player B but the name of the player and customization belonged to player A. However, he was moving in a way the player B was moving.

Again, after that match we agreed to yet another revenge match and now, the stage was still the same and the player name and customization belonged to player B again.

I think it is some caching issue where when error occurs it handles the error by taking older data from cache.

So what is Harada's email? :)

This is definitely the second worst online experience with a fighter this generation for me, with this being 2nd only to King of Fighters 14. That game even after the patch I still literally could never get into an online ranked match no matter what troubleshooting I did. Literally every other game I've ever played in my life works just fine, but KOF 14 and me were never meant to be.

Tekken seems to have loads of problems which shouldn't really occur because we can assume loads of people are readily available to play against. Then again from what we see with SF connection/lag issues seem to be the norm at this point.

To be fair to KOF (if you can say that), the online playerbase was small compared to bigger sellers like SF/T7 which has a knock on effect of more sparsely distanced players. Combine that with living in an area where there aren't players nearby, or even in a different country, it's not unlikely the connection will be abysmal.

I'm glad I never picked up KOF because I could see the playerbase will not be fit for purpose from a mile out.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Than you, I reall have not been using d2 at all, I've been sticking to d4 as my go to low. What advantages does d2 have over d4? Sorry if these are obvious questions but this is my first ever Tekken that I'm actually taking seriously and I just wanna get good.

Triple the damage, high crushes, better frames on hit.

M_A_C

That was great!

MikeBison

Sad to see so many people struggling for ranked matches on PS4.

I'd say the 95% of my matches are of a really good quality. And I'm never waiting longer than 30 seconds in warm-up to get another match.

Did get a hard crash the other day though, was getting bopped by a Kazuya and it was 2am so just decided to switch off after that. So definitely would have looked like I rage-quit to him.

AllenShrz

Sometimes I could swear some people cheat on pc. Bad players that low parry very consistently even with low pokes but suck at everything else.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I could swear some people cheat on pc. Bad players that low parry very consistently even with low pokes but suck at everything else.

That's probably the one thing they mastered in training first I guess.

Doomshine

Sad to see so many people struggling for ranked matches on PS4.

I'd say the 95% of my matches are of a really good quality. And I'm never waiting longer than 30 seconds in warm-up to get another match.

Yeah, same here :/

I haven't tried random player matches yet though, only ranked or lobbies.

I feel bad for players suffering from connection issues with match making. I haven't had a bad game post patch. Well maybe one or two.

The game has been the most stable fighter I've ever played to be honest. I'm on PS4 in West Palm Beach with Comcast as my ISP. I don't accept three bars or below and my experience has been great.

Juissi

Neo Member
Two biggest problems for me are "Can't connect to another player" and unable to leave from lobby since I can't open the menu. But everytime I have a match it works very well and connection bars are right. Oh yeah one more thing, tournaments crash if 2 players quit at the same time, and of course if the host leaves. Overall I like this game very much and it's my primary fighting game now, since it's popular even on PC players. This is doesn't need crossplay.

Spinky

Should I go PS4 or PC? PS4 has exclusive shit I want, but it's also 900p and isn't the online on PC supposed to be way better?

Deps

The ps4 patch fixed most of the issues for me, usually around a minute for a match and it rarely disconnects. Though compared to the pc version, the ps4 port is still trash.

Should I go PS4 or PC? PS4 has exclusive shit I want, but it's also 900p and isn't the online on PC supposed to be way better?

PC, not even close

MikeBison

fwiw I suspect that 'can't connect to player' messages are where you've accepted the request but they haven't, for whatever reason.

Connection, your name, their dinner is ready, they're intimidated by your anime avatar.

AAK

fwiw I suspect that 'can't connect to player' messages are where you've accepted the request but they haven't, for whatever reason.

Connection, your name, their dinner is ready, they're intimidated by your anime avatar.

When someone rejects your fight request, I'm pretty sure the game instantly returns back to warmup. The reason I say this is because I have rejected a player once and within 3 seconds I get paired again with the same user which must mean he didn't get the usual 20 -30 second wait before the game finally spits out the "cannot connect" screen.

And there's no way for every 10 fight requests I accept only 3 of them manage to sync because those 7 others are rejecting me.

AllenShrz

Wtf! I just played a guy that was using devil Kasumi with lasers and all on ranked battles. Wtf, they are hackers now on the pc for sure.

Wtf! I just played a guy that was using devil Kasumi with lasers and all on ranked battles. Wtf, they are hackers now on the pc for sure.

Send a strongly worded E-mail to Harada.

But for real though, did you manage to get a recording of the match? This shit needs to be reported and fixed ASAP if true.

Send a strongly worded E-mail to Harada.

But for real though, did you manage to get a recording of the match? This shit needs to be reported and fixed ASAP if true.

You see, the thing is people use CheatEngine to manipulate the character value. They choose someone (let's say Kazumi), and then CE changes Kazumi's value for Devil Kazumi.

Since that thing needs to be done BEFORE the game syncs, it should be as "easy" as telling the game to "Nope" when it finds those values and give a sync error or something.

Astral

I'm watching Maximillian Dood play the game and Akuma's focus attack looks super annoying to deal with. He was fighting a Xiaoyu who managed to beat it by rolling into it and grabbing him out of it, but not everyone is gonna have a roll like that. I don't even have the game, I just need to know how to beat it lol.

I'm watching Maximillian Dood play the game and Akuma's focus attack looks super annoying to deal with. He was fighting a Xiaoyu who managed to beat it by rolling into it and grabbing him out of it, but not everyone is gonna have a roll like that. I don't even have the game, I just need to know how to beat it lol.

If it works at all like every other character's power crush, then it's beaten by lows and all grabs.

You can't tech a throw/grab if you get hit by it when you're in the startup of a power crush. For multi-part/chain grabs, you can't tech the first part but you can tech every part that follows.

Astral

If it works at all like every other character's power crush, then it's beaten by lows and all grabs.

You can't tech a throw/grab if you get hit by it when you're in the startup of a power crush. For multi-part/chain grabs, you can't tech the first part but you can tech every part that follows.

Oh so all characters have a move like that. Doesn't it have super armor though? Does the super armor not block lows?

Oh so all characters have a move like that. Doesn't it have super armor though? Does the super armor not block lows?
Every character has a power crush but none of them are like Akuma's focus attack. If you do a power crush, then you commit to it. Akuma can cancel into it from other moves and can cancel out of it.

Again, I'm not entirely sure. Akuma's focus attack does seem to have the properties of a power crush so you'd have to check to make sure. But at least for Power Crushes, yes. They're all beat by low-hitting attacks and throws/grabs.

Astral

Every character has a power crush but none of them are like Akuma's focus attack. If you do a power crush, then you commit to it. Akuma can cancel into it from other moves and can cancel out of it.

Again, I'm not entirely sure. Akuma's focus attack does seem to have the properties of a power crush so you'd have to check to make sure. But at least for Power Crushes, yes. They're all beat by low-hitting attacks and throws/grabs.

Yes. Crush moves only eat through Highs and Mids.

Parries are for lows.

Cool. I've only ever played Tekken Advance and a bit of Tekken 3, but watching those matches got me a little interested.

Grifter

Akuma's focus attack can also just be ducked. I've been playing him and didn't even realize that until it was one-shotting me in story mode.

mooncakes

Making small progress so far. Got into the blue ranking. I feel like I get the basic flow of the game since I can see things more clearly and getting an idea on how 3D fighter play like.The more time I spent in this game, its feels like a neutral heavy game since I can't air dash away my problems like in anime games.

Need to learn how to punish lows and blocked super. I'm so terrible at punishing them since I feel my normal are out of range with Master Raven.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't think I'm cut out to be a King player. My execution is pretty ass, constant fuck ups on giant swing, buffering throws from recovery, crouch dash, ff neutral moves etc. That's something I maybe able to overcome with lots of practice but even then I don't think I have the mindset to play as King.

Oh well the quest to find a main carries on

Characters tried:
Josie - Potential Main
King - I doubt it
Kazumi - Meh
Leo - Potential main

Moving on to Leo and seeing what I can do with her. She's boring as a character, but I like her moveset. Sorta reminds me of a cross between Ling and Paul, two of my favorites from T3. I tried her in TT2 briefly but never could get a handle on her, maybe that's changed in 7. Her qcf+1 is evil as hell, I'm liking it.

Aceofspades

Banned
Im getting my ass whooped on blue ranks, demoted to silver :(

I have figured out most of the characters moves except Paul and fucking Chloe..goddamn I couldn't beat those two.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm focused on picking a character to dive in now. Trying to spend 15ish minutes in training with each just checking out moves, sample combos etc to get more of a feel for the cast.

Still leaning toward just going with Asuka, but will try everyone. Definitely don't want to go with anyone with different stances, or even quick moves that different moves come out of (Lee, Katarina) as that's just too much to wrap my head around as I need to learn the Tekken basics and fighting game fundamentals in general.

I'm spread a little thin as I'm still playing and learning Injustice 2 and just got Arms as well.

GrayFoxPL

I'm spread a little thin as I'm still playing and learning Injustice 2 and just got Arms as well.

It's may be tough, Tekken is a game that demands all the attention. You should do only 4 things in life: breathe, eat, sleep and play Tekken. Forget job/school, family, friends. It all means nothing now. You have one purpose in life now.

HeelPower

Tournament mode is quickly becoming obsolete.

Players hardly have patience to wait until brackets are filled and sometimes hosts and players just leave mid tournament and fuck up.

Very frustrating.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Players hardly have patience to wait until brackets are filled and sometimes hosts and players just leave mid tournament and fuck up.

Very frustrating.

Tournament mode was never going to be a good mode to play with randoms. It's there for organizing tournaments with people you know.

GrayFoxPL

Very frustrating.

I tried Tournament 3 times = super shitty connections and freezes.

Forgot about this shit instantly.

ShinMaruku

If I can get a decent pool of people in lobbies for a few weeks I can poke around and try to get some online tourney mode lobbies going.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's may be tough, Tekken is a game that demands all the attention. You should do only 4 things in life: breathe, eat, sleep and play Tekken. Forget job/school, family, friends. It all means nothing now. You have one purpose in life now.

Lol. I'm not at all set on getting great or anything. Just having fun with some pick up and play games since I burnt myself out on long single player games the first half of the year and don't have time for them the next several months in any case.

GrayFoxPL

Lol. I'm not at all set on getting great or anything. Just having fun with some pick up and play games since I burnt myself out on long single player games the first half of the year and don't have time for them the next several months in any case.

It's too late. You gotta play Tekken, nothing else matters.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's too late. You gotta play Tekken, nothing else matters.

Lol. Obviously not for me since I've still been playing Injustice more. :D I do feel a tad guilty playing it instead with my new Tekken 7 stick though...

Tournament mode was never going to be a good mode to play with randoms. It's there for organizing tournaments with people you know.

I disagree. It just needs some changes, like having the hosting jump to someone else when the host quits. And penalizing players that drop out early. But I also think players who have no more matches should be able to leave if they want.

I like Tournament mode when I set up my own. Just title it US Only or whatever your region happens to be. Go into settings and have the kick button ready. When someone with less than a 4 bar joins boot em. People tend to stick around if there's good connections from the same region.

GrayFoxPL

Lol. Obviously not for me since I've still been playing Injustice more. :D I do feel a tad guilty playing it instead with my new Tekken 7 stick though...

You ARE guilty!

Kidding, play whatever is fun. Though I was serious saying Tekken demands full attention. It's a game that if you stop playing for a while and jump back it'll punish you and you need to spent serious time to get back to shape. It's worth it because there's no comparison in satisfaction factor once you achieve something.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You ARE guilty!

Kidding, play whatever is fun. Though I was serious saying Tekken demands full attention. It's a game that if you stop playing for a while and jump back it'll punish you and you need to spent serious time to get back to shape. It's worth it because there's no comparison in satisfaction factor once you achieve something.

I know, I was just messing around.

I'm just unsure I have the time/energy to really dive into it right now vs. trying to get some basic fighting game fundamentals down elsewhere first. So I'm just playing a mix of things (may give SFV another go) and trying to find what grabs me most first.

My main barrier with Tekken is to me the movement execution barrier is just needless. I don't see what's added by making backdashing effectively such a challege and it's not something that's very fun to try to learn and practice.

In any case, it was only $39.99 from CD Keys and I've had a lot of fun with story mode, treasure mode and trying out characters so I'll have no regrets if I never really get into it. Will feel a little silly having a T7 stick if I don't end up playing it much though. :D

GrayFoxPL

I know, I was just messing around.

I'm just unsure I have the time/energy to really dive into it right now vs. trying to get some basic fighting game fundamentals down elsewhere first. So I'm just playing a mix of things (may give SFV another go) and trying to find what grabs me most first.

My main barrier with Tekken is to me the movement execution barrier is just needless. I don't see what's added by making backdashing effectively such a challege and it's not something that's very fun to try to learn and practice.

In any case, it was only $39.99 from CD Keys and I've had a lot of fun with story mode, treasure mode and trying out characters so I'll have no regrets if I never really get into it. Will feel a little silly having a T7 stick if I don't end up playing it much though. :D

Dude I'm playing Tekken 20 years and never learned to back dash cancel "properly". I just cancel backdash with sidestep and backdash again, it works better in T7 then before and it's easy.

Ferrio

Banned
Dude I'm playing Tekken 20 years and never learned to back dash cancel "properly". I just cancel backdash with sidestep and backdash again, it works better in T7 then before and it's easy.

Ya, I've been playing on and off since T1, never been able to korean backdash, most likely never will. That doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying the game though.

GrayFoxPL

Ya, I've been playing on and off since T1, never been able to korean backdash, most likely never will. That doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying the game though.

Yeah and even one of the best Korean players JDCR said bcd is not that important because you are backdashing to a wall that can kill you quickly. Before T4 Tekken had only infinite stages so that wasn't a factor.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I wasn't even meaning Korean back dash. Back dash canceling in general is awkward to someone that's really only played 2D fighters and is relatively new to stick.

For now I'm just not worry with it and just focusing on simple back dashes and sidesteps while trying to learn spacing, footsies and some simple whiff punishing. I'll never get out of lower ranks so it's just not something I need to prioritize despite basic back dash canceling being featured in a lot of beginner/movement tutorials.

Top Bottom