• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Astral

You ARE guilty!

Kidding, play whatever is fun. Though I was serious saying Tekken demands full attention. It's a game that if you stop playing for a while and jump back it'll punish you and you need to spent serious time to get back to shape. It's worth it because there's no comparison in satisfaction factor once you achieve something.

Ugh I've heard that before about Tekken. It doesn't sound very appealing. I already struggle to get back into other fighters like BB and SFV because other games come out. The latest fighting game i bought was Blazblue CF and I haven't played it in forever because of school and other games. I wanna go back to it though as well as SF but I just know I'll pretty much have to learn them again. I also want GGRev2. There are too many fighting games!

miku

saw this on twitter

yMB3SHm.gif

b,n,db repeat. Have to do it quickly.
tBM85N0.png

Oh man, if it were that simple.

I've watched every tutorial for pad and stick and still can't do it. My command history even shows "technically" i'm doing it right, but no such result.

I've even watched tutorials where they bring in using the 2nd stick on a dpad to "help" with inputs. lmao Some janky shit out there.

CSX

unless you're playing a character with a backsway, just do b,qcb ,b, qcb, etc

much more doable especially on a dpad :)

unless you're playing a character with a backsway, just do b,qcb ,b, qcb, etc

much more doable especially on a dpad :)

I sort of do that now, but I'm trying to get to a cleaner, smoother way of doing it. I can do the first 2 dashes fine. Once I get to the 3rd, I have to change it up. I could blame it on the pad, but I have the same results regardless of pad type or stick.

Some tutorials have been helpful in noting that "returning to neutral properly triggers another b input, saving you the effort".

It's just a matter of making theory a reality at this point.

HeelPower

tBM85N0.png

I've watched every tutorial for pad and stick and still can't do it. My command history even shows "technically" i'm doing it right, but no such result.

I've even watched tutorials where they bring in using the 2nd stick on a dpad to "help" with inputs. lmao Some janky shit out there.

Do it slowly and methodically at first,then ramp up your input speed till you can do it fast.

Anyone want to play some player matches? I have had a lobby open here for about 20 minutes and no one is biting. Starting to get frustrating waiting on games.

Cyanity

Banned
tBM85N0.png

There's a cadence to the motion. Your command list should show a single back, then a space, then back,d/b,back together, followed by a space, followed by back,d/b/back until you're done backdashing.

Appreciate all the advice! It's probably just poor execution on my part that needs to be cleaned up.

There's a cadence to the motion. Your command list should show a single back, then a space, then back,d/b,back together, followed by a space, followed by back,d/b/back until you're done backdashing.

Ah. That may be the issue. My command list does indeed show exactly that. But after the 2nd dash, the movement falls apart, even though the command list is correct. If it's a pacing thing, then I might be going too fast.

Also, do you consciously input the 2nd b input in the repeated part? Or release at d/b? I notice if you release at d/b, 90% of the time it triggers the final b input for you without having to intentionally do it.

Perineum

Man, I got robbed today. I play a nice clean no lag match against a guy, and I lose the first one. I adapt, and am about to win the second set of games 3-0, and bitch fist rage quits out.

I think I realized what a rage quitter looks like at least on PS4. Their name will have yellow font which indicates frequent disconnecting bitch ass.

I sent him a message to stay free and hold that L, and he was stupid enough to write back some homophobic shit so I reported it. Hope Sony and Harada send him back to Viva Pinata where he belongs.

Newb question but how do you block/counter King's massive jump attack? I think at this point like 50% of the people I face online are King and a ton of them just abuse this move. I should know how to block it probably lol.

Perineum

Newb question but how do you block/counter King's massive jump attack? I think at this point like 50% of the people I face online are King and a ton of them just abuse this move. I should know how to block it probably lol.

Best thing when you encounter this kind of issue with any character and a move of theirs is to go into training and find that move. Have the AI record and do it to you, then practice the way out.

I would imagine without testing though you just side step it or back dash, or side step and back dash. Depends on the amount of room you have, but if he is just throwing it out mid screen you should be able to dodge it.

TronWayne

I hope that next patch sorts this game out. The actual net-code is great but I can't find any matches. Go back to SFV and I can find matches, but the net-code is total ass. These companies man.

Perineum

I hope that next patch sorts this game out. The actual net-code is great but I can't find any matches. Go back to SFV and I can find matches, but the net-code is total ass. These companies man.

I hear ya. The next patch will make or break me sticking with the game or not. Game is fantastic, but I have 0 plans to go tournament level, so if the online is whack it's a dead game to me.

Sadly would have to go back to injustass2 for my go to fighter since the online works there without any issues ever.

Big Brett

just had my most frustrating moment in a game in a while versus some jack robots with the fucking healing armor counter. who thought this was fun why did this pass qa

TaterTots

Banned
tBM85N0.png

I mean, I typed it out like it was that easy, but it takes a lot of practice. I still cannot do it 100% of the time.

Why can't you get a third rematch with someone in ranked? Like, when it's a 1-1 split, why not get a chance for a final third match?

It seems like the way the revenge system is set up, they want players splitting 1-1, I guess so everyone goes home happy with a victory or something?

TaterTots

Banned
Why can't you get a third rematch with someone in ranked? Like, when it's a 1-1 split, why not get a chance for a final third match?

It seems like the way the revenge system is set up, they want players splitting 1-1, I guess so everyone goes home happy with a victory or something?

Well, why stop there? Why not best out of 10? It has to stop somewhere.

Swarna

tBM85N0.png

Mechanical keyboard.

Press back, hold, tap forward for first dash. Keep tapping down and forward for consecutive dashes.

Ez game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea the salty 1 - 1s are the worst. Really though the entire online infrastructure of this game is the drizzling shits.

Mechanical keyboard.

Press back, hold, tap forward for first dash. Keep tapping down and forward for consecutive dashes.

Ez game.

Heh. I've seen this before, actually. The hitbox does this very thing. I have one, but never got accustomed to the UP button being below everything else. Fun to mess around with tho.

GrayFoxPL

Man, I got robbed today. I play a nice clean no lag match against a guy, and I lose the first one. I adapt, and am about to win the second set of games 3-0, and bitch fist rage quits out.

I think I realized what a rage quitter looks like at least on PS4. Their name will have yellow font which indicates frequent disconnecting bitch ass.

I sent him a message to stay free and hold that L, and he was stupid enough to write back some homophobic shit so I reported it. Hope Sony and Harada send him back to Viva Pinata where he belongs.

Congrats you got the best compliment. If someone shits his pants and rip his ethernet cord to get away crying means you did everything right.

Is this game netcode roll back based? Because it doesn't seem like it :(

No, sadly it's the ancient underwater type. In my experience it's surprisingly okay, a lot of that probably comes down to the enormous built-in input lag that's present even offline.

(Pssst, Capcom and Namco: if you use good rollback code you don't need to give your fighters 6+ frames of input lag to work online. Skullgirls has 3 and handles online better than all of you.)

Kashiwaba

No, sadly it's the ancient underwater type. In my experience it's surprisingly okay, a lot of that probably comes down to the enormous built-in input lag that's present even offline.

(Pssst, Capcom and Namco: if you use good rollback code you don't need to give your fighters 6+ frames of input lag to work online. Skullgirls has 3 and handles online better than all of you.)

SFV netcode code can be hit or miss, but when it's working it's really good, it actually handles long distance games way Better than Tekken 7.

Dina

I wonder if I should invest in a cheapish stick, like the Qanba Carbon. I am playing with the controller fine, but I haven't been having this much fun with a fighter since ever.

Then again, I'm a PC-only crowd and fighters aren't ever a big thing on that platform. Would a stick see much action beyond Tekken 7?

Vice

I know, I was just messing around.

I'm just unsure I have the time/energy to really dive into it right now vs. trying to get some basic fighting game fundamentals down elsewhere first. So I'm just playing a mix of things (may give SFV another go) and trying to find what grabs me most first.

My main barrier with Tekken is to me the movement execution barrier is just needless. I don't see what's added by making backdashing effectively such a challege and it's not something that's very fun to try to learn and practice.

In any case, it was only $39.99 from CD Keys and I've had a lot of fun with story mode, treasure mode and trying out characters so I'll have no regrets if I never really get into it. Will feel a little silly having a T7 stick if I don't end up playing it much though. :D
The movement stuff is something that you only need to learn if you're going to get very into the game. And even then you can break it up into less intimidating chunks.

I wonder if I should invest in a cheapish stick, like the Qanba Carbon. I am playing with the controller fine, but I haven't been having this much fun with a fighter since ever.

Then again, I'm a PC-only crowd and fighters aren't ever a big thing on that platform. Would a stick see much action beyond Tekken 7?

You have MvC:I coming on PC (It'll DEFINITELY have legs on PC) and Dragon Ball FighterZ coming up. You also have SFV already released.

So a stick will definitely see action beyond Tekken 7 if you're interested in any of those games. But heck, you can just use the stick for T7 and I'd say it's a worthwhile investment if you can see yourself playing this game for a long time.

TaterTots

Banned

As someone pointed out, there are other fighting games coming. However, a fight stick is also great for shoot em' ups and side scroller's in general. Gives you the feeling of being a kid at an arcade again.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished running through all the characters in training mode.

Think I'm going to switch from Asuka to Josie as the one I try to learn with first. I had more fun trying her out, like that she has some three button true combo strings, a similar df2 launcher to Asuka and is faster and more offense oreiented. Slightly violated me not wanting a character with stance/duck in options/move sets, but her are basic and quick/temporary stance changes so I think I can manage.

I'd not I'll go back to Asuka or try some others I kind of liked such as Katarina, Leo, Law and Draganov(sp?).

As someone pointed out, there are other fighting games coming. However, a fight stick is also great for shoot em' ups and side scroller's in general. Gives you the feeling of being a kid at an arcade again.

Yuuup. Great for games like Shovel Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc.

Also y'all saying how tough wavedashing / Korean backdashing is makes me feel a bit better. I've been doing the pseudo version where you dash back then sidestep then dash back just cause it feels smoother to me atm.

SFV netcode code can be hit or miss, but when it's working it's really good, it actually handles long distance games way Better than Tekken 7.

Oh, definitely. Rollback is the way to go, and I'm glad Capcom chose that approach. But I have to say that in my experience, and particularly after the latest SF5 update, it's far too common to run into those misses. It's especially infuriating because by all accounts it wouldn't take too much effort to fix. Capcom chose the right approach (rollback), they just didn't care enough to implement it correctly.

I shouldn't be having better experiences with Tekken 7 online than I am in a fighter with rollback netcode like SF5, but that's absolutely the case. Really unfortunate.

I can't vouch for that specific stick, but I would say it's worth it on PC just because of emulators and rollback online play for classic fighters. The platform might not have much of a tournament showing and it's missing a few exclusives, but you can reasonably argue that PCs have been the best place for fighting games for like a decade+ now.

Current support is actually pretty good. Injustice 2 is probably the only recent major joystick-related release that's MIA on PC, and we know it's coming eventually. This support only seems to be growing every year, and all the major fighting game publishers are already on board with the platform.

As other people have mentioned a joystick is also great for all sorts of other arcade games on PC, like Dungeons & Dragons, Cave's titles, etc. etc.

Stick control is great for DND sidescrollers confirmed.

Makes sense then, seeing as Shadow Over Mystara came out in the arcades. So many quarters. Good times.

That 90s nostalgia tho.

Top Bottom