• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Astral

So Hwoarang or whatever the fuck's quick low to high kick. Am I supposed to react to that low? Fuck. And if he hits me with this one launcher he instantly takes half my health. And why do his vertical-ass kicks track me?

CSX

The man, the myth, the legend is 5th in PC leaderboards. My Tekken hero :D

WdVcdBG.png

hamsjams

I lost the finals of an online tournament to a first-time Steve player who spent the entire match incessantly throwing out the same 3-punch string. I like to think that I would have fared better had the connection not been 2 bars. Years from now, when Tekken 8 inevitably comes out, if I'm good enough to manage a 55% win ratio against players like that I will count it as an incredible personal achievement.

I am not good. I need to start shooting friend requests to people on ps4 and build up a sparring group like MrCookiepants suggested. And studying some tape.

Ferrio

Banned
So any general tips on dealing with Akuma? Jump in shenanigans are so foreign to Tekken that I'm kinda lost when I come up against a good one. Any weaknesses to exploit? Really sucks as Leo as BOK stance seems like a death sentence against him.

sasuke_91

Dodging every character who has a non-CH sweep knockdown that goes into a combo.

Good thing Ling has both :p

Sweeps are slow. You can block them easily if you practice enough. You can even low crush them with a hopkick or orbital on reaction.
Dodging won't teach you anything. You will get hit by that stuff until you learn to block. At that point they're dead.

Ferrio

Banned
I faced Toolassisted, that bot is ruthless. Broke, reversed and dodged everything. Then Rolling Death Cradled me over and over.

Jer

Moved into the green ranks, and on to that combination of decent players and players with highly practiced parlor tricks. As in previous Tekkens, my response to the parlor trick players, especially if their game involves low launchers, is to go on tilt, hop kick way too much, and do desperate garbage like get up 3 or 4. I play so much better against good players than against bad players, ugh.

I lost a match to a Paul that shot me with a laser for the last hit. I was confused. :-(. I'm assuming that's some item thing and not a normal move? I disapprove.

So you dropped Xiayou ? She has a non ch sweep that leads to a juggle in a form of ss3 , oh and on top of things it's cancalable that puts you in bt for a 50/50 mixup.

No I did not.

I started playing Tekken 7 at 9 p.m. EST. Rank brawler coming off a five-game winning streak from my previous session. Lost a bunch of games in a row and drop down to Grandmaster.

I told myself I was not going to go to bed until I got back up to brawler. By the time I was done, it was 1:33 EST.

I am such a Scrub, but unlike games like Overwatch and DotA 2, I know exactly why I am bad, and why I lose.

1. Deprogramming and entire lifetime's worth of playing against people who are worse than I am ( my friends) is difficult. The average player will finish a hit string no matter what. They will do risky moves because they look cool. All can be punished. This does not happen in competitive Tekken.

2. I eat Mix-Ups and lows like I am at a buffet. Rushdown characters like Josie who can seemingly perform string after string without interruption destroy me. Frame lockers like Brian, Dragonov, Steve, I don't have a chance. Katrina and Feng low sweep combos have their way.

I noticed that even against Kezia, I see the hell sweet coming but for some reason I can't Crouch to block it. Input delay? I don't know, but if I can't block the sweep after uf+4 I don't have a chance to do very well in this game at all.

3. I get fooled into chasing/cannot break the turtles. Even if I am ahead in damage and the opponent retreats to the far end of the screen, I still run after them and end up eating a CH launcher because I don't have any patience. Well, I mean to say that spending 30 - 40 seconds of the match dodging around for position is BORING AF!

SOME of these folks would rather lose to time over than to get hit. Wut?

4. List of characters who wreck me is way too long. I take every Ling mirror match and every Lucky Chloe match. Anna B, Asuka, Kazumi, Law, Kuma, Jack. Basically the poke monsters who don't take 75-80% of my health from one combo.

Oddly enough, I do well against Leo.

5. I have not anger, but RAGE issues when I lose. This is one of the reasons why I don't even like to play board games with my kids. I am not pleasant to be around when I play Tekken 7 (this goes back to point 1 where I am used to playing and beating people worse than I am).

Spuck-uk

Banned
4. List of characters who wreck me is way too long. I take every Ling mirror match and every Lucky Chloe match. Anna B, Asuka, Kazumi, Law, Kuma, Jack. Basically the poke monsters who don't take 75-80% of my health from one combo.

Most of the characters you list are very capable of doing some of the highest damage in the game. Conversely, Josie has some of the lowest.

I think you need to accept that you have a lot to learn about Tekken.

Doomshine

I noticed that even against Kezia, I see the hell sweet coming but for some reason I can't Crouch to block it. Input delay? I don't know, but if I can't block the sweep after uf+4 I don't have a chance to do very well in this game at all.

You're not going to block a hell sweep on reaction, unless you're talking about uf+4,4. Maybe it's input delay/lag, but I think it's also a combo on counterhit.

Most of the characters you list are very capable of doing some of the highest damage in the game. Conversely, Josie has some of the lowest.

I think you need to accept that you have a lot to learn about Tekken.

This was point #1. I have apparently been playing Tekken incorrectly all my life.

You're not going to block a hell sweep on reaction, unless you're talking about uf+4,4. Maybe it's input delay/lag, but I think it's also a combo on counterhit.

Yes, I mean uf+4,4 Has been in Kaz's moveset since DAY 1. I used to play him before the EWGF justframe became a necessity to play him *well*. I don't understand why I can't duck to block the second hit when the first is hella telegraphed.

Then again, lag oftentimes makes me wiff some combos.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Is there a guide on how to punish wake up? Like when someone back roll or roll to the side?

It felt like a reset every time I knock down someone. The only thing I can do is a 50/50, but it is risky on my side too.

Skilletor

This was point #1. I have apparently been playing Tekken incorrectly all my life.

There's a way certain people talk about their skill in videogames that makes me think this is the case. Your posts saying you were so good with Xiaoyou and ready to take on everybody made me think you probably thought you were better than you are. :p

Used to happen back in the day when people would travel to a different arcade, or enter their first tournament. Online has the benefit of exposing players to people way better than they are. I love it, personally. :)

Jer

Used to happen back in the day when people would travel to a different arcade, or enter their first tournament. Online has the benefit of exposing players to people way better than they are. I love it, personally. :)

Online's obviously a net positive, but I actually do kind of miss the days of new people talking tons of shit on TZ or 8WR, and the whole community salivating at the chance to be the one to show them the light. Everyone knew what was coming, but it was always amazing,

Astral

"You're a joke."

Fuck you, Jin. I'm trying. Why does Xiaoyu like this guy?

Who are you playing as? It might be worth going offline and hitting training mode

I'm using Asuka. I feel like I know enough combos with her and what moves to generally use, but maybe my fundamentals just suck. It's hard for me to find openings in people's offense and I'm constantly poked with launchers. I also have a bad habit of low block punishing with the wrong move. I auto pilot her WS1+2 because of the damage it leads to on counter hit, but it's too slow for the faster lows. By the end of the night I started cutting that shit out though. My offense also must be pretty weak because I have a hard time getting a launcher in or anything but pokes in while they launch me constantly.

Skilletor

I've definitely hit a wall in the green ranks. I'm getting beat a lot of the time by character unfamiliarity. Need to work on that and movement, but that's when Tekken usually gets boring to me.

Ran into CSX last night and he bodied me real good, lol. Super nice Dragunov.

GrayFoxPL

Yes, I mean uf+4,4 Has been in Kaz's moveset since DAY 1. I used to play him before the EWGF justframe became a necessity to play him *well*. I don't understand why I can't duck to block the second hit when the first is hella telegraphed.

Then again, lag oftentimes makes me wiff some combos.

uf+4,4 is death for Kaz in T7. Staggers on second hit unlike T6, and Tag2 reverting it way back to Tekken 5. I was using it alot in previous two games now I need to keep reminding myself to not use it because 90% of players will block it every time. Second hit is blockable even if first hit. Only on counter hit it's a combo and a launcher. I was very good at scorring ch with this in Tag2 but there I had a option to do later sweeps to make opponent guess. Now I can't, shit is too risky to use.

I wrote this before but Kaz got stripped of many of moves(or followups) in T7. 7 to be exact. Seven.

ShinMaruku

Ling is probably the only person who like Hei and Jin. She's a angel unlike those two.
Although since Jin is related to Hei he's fated to be a bit of an asshole,
he has a lot of his traits

The frame overlay is a game changer. I can honestly see any tournament level players still on PS4 switching over to PC for this and what might come after it.

PC is the new home of Tekken.

GrayFoxPL

Ling is probably the only person who like Hei and Jin. She's a angel unlike those two.
Although since Jin is related to Hei he's fated to be a bit of an asshole,
he has a lot of his traits

"A bit" ? He unleashed WW III just to fight a giant chicken. Jin way more fucked up in the head than any other Mishima.

ShinMaruku

"A bit" ? He unleashed WW III just to fight a giant chicken. Jin way more fucked up in the head than any other Mishima.

You do know that demon is why the devil gene exists right, his family trait is to fight and kill them, both sides actually, but he just has the Mishima fuckery. That said Hei made the Zaibatsu a arms dealing corp to fight Kazuya and all members of Kazumi's clan.
His grandson is doing similar things.

Jin is the standard Mishima. He was also raised by Heihachi as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The frame overlay is a game changer. I can honestly see any tournament level players still on PS4 switching over to PC for this and what might come after it.

PC is the new home of Tekken.

They'll get the info they need on PC but they'll still have to train on PS4 to account for the input lag at tournaments.

The FGC is too pigheadedly stupid to actually switch to PC.

Skilletor

They'll get the info they need on PC but they'll still have to train on PS4 to account for the input lag at tournaments.

"FGC" is still grassroots with most setups being contributed by the players. That means consoles, and particularly the console that most of the players own.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Out of all my losses, pretty much all of them have been 3-2 losses, even the rematches

So many clutched in this game and i end up losing the final round and little bit of health to cheap tactics

In all fairness, NRS had a good story in injustice because of the established cast and years of comic books to copy the tone from. MK9s story wasn't that good, and XL was fucking laughable looking at the plot.

Not only is it cheaper for locals and people to run, some of these events have consoles given to them by sponsors like Sony and such. Unless the PC companies want to provide., you can't expect everyone to just suddenly be rich and afford a bunch of PC setups.

Doomshine

Are we even at the point yet where every fighting game has a good PC version? Sometimes they don't even release on the same day as the console versions.

Are we even at the point yet where every fighting game has a good PC version? Sometimes they don't even release on the same day as the console versions.

Namco is in, Capcom is in, ArcSys is finally in same day-and-date, SNK is in on delay. KT is in but their PC ports are trash. NRS is currently out, possibly on delay? Nintendo obviously out.

patchday

In all fairness, NRS had a good story in injustice because of the established cast and years of comic books to copy the tone from. MK9s story wasn't that good, and XL was fucking laughable looking at the plot.

MKX story was critically acclaimed I couldn't disagree with you more. IJ1/IJ2 also has great story. Cant speak to MK9 since I cant recall playing that one but I personally woulsn't trust your judgement on that one no offense.

Granted I dont trust any one sole person's opinion. Just go by overall gaf impressions.

[edit] Oh crap the NRS fanboi came out of me hard. I swear I"m not a shrill I really do own T7 on steam lmao

Top Bottom