• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

patchday

Are we even at the point yet where every fighting game has a good PC version? Sometimes they don't even release on the same day as the console versions.

yeah sadly IJ2 doesnt have a PC ver no doubt due to some poorly received ports (at least initially, I think the High Voltage 3rd party devs would fix the issues eventually cause IJ1 Ultimate edition on Steam runs great at least offline).

I am really enjoying T7 Steam ver though. Although I suspect I'll probably end up getting it on ps4 later as well if it goes on sale

Any history of Tekken Ultimate editions that includes all fighters?

patchday

^ Grats!

Went through a lot of basic movement tutorials and did a little treasure mode. But my true objective is to hop online.

Man cant recall 'Master Raven' seeing any play at CEO. Shes been my main so far. Been avoiding Tier listing since I'm brand new anyways. just need to focus on mastering all the basics then see how I fare online

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
^ Grats!

Went through a lot of basic movement tutorials and did a little treasure mode. But my true objective is to hop online.

Man cant recall 'Master Raven' seeing any play at CEO. Shes been my main so far. Been avoiding Tier listing since I'm brand new anyways. just need to focus on mastering all the basics then see how I fare online

Love master ravens design, but i think for tournament play she's gonna be one of those characters that people warm to slowly. The few times I've used her she seems odd in terms of how she controls

Also just avoid Tier lists, unless you're planning on going to Evo there pretty much just useless, although interesting to see other peoples opinions. It's pretty much confirmed my opinion that gigas is awful, also I hate his design.

But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm not a pro ;)

CSX

just got bodied by a EWGF and wavedashing fanatic kazuya character lol

best way to beat wavedash pressure in oki? Getup kick ? SPring kick?

MKX story was critically acclaimed I couldn't disagree with you more. IJ1/IJ2 also has great story. Cant speak to MK9 since I cant recall playing that one but I personally woulsn't trust your judgement on that one no offense.

Granted I dont trust any one sole person's opinion. Just go by overall gaf impressions.

[edit] Oh crap the NRS fanboi came out of me hard. I swear I"m not a shrill I really do own T7 on steam lmao

It's not like video game stories are all that good, at the end of the day. But I just couldn't get behind the dumb powerup the Cage family got, the teenagers taking out hardened warriors like chumps, Kahn being a jobber and a total moron (alongside his on-again-off-again posse being lame as shit - poor Ermac!), the lame tension between the Cage parents, and the embarrassment that is Reptile. Too many things made me roll my eyes, but none of that compared to what 9 did towards the tail end. All that build up for a snowball of real dumb reasons.

But eh, it's just my personal opinion. Critically acclaimed doesn't mean shit when it got a lot of bluster for trying harder than most games. Most of the damn reviews couldn't articulate why the story was good in the same way someone can articulate how the writing of a game from another genre is good.

Kumubou

They'll get the info they need on PC but they'll still have to train on PS4 to account for the input lag at tournaments.

The FGC is too pigheadedly stupid to actually switch to PC.
Have you actually tried running a fighting game tournament on PC?

I have -- it sucks. No PC version of a fighting game allows you to plug in controllers after boot (with the exception of cccaster, which isn't considered tournament legal now for other reasons), so every time you have a new set of people come up you have to have to kill the game, have everyone plug in, wait for the computer to detect the device, restart the game from scratch and then go through the normal config crap on top of that. Then there's the whole mess of devices not working randomly or games crashing randomly and other crap that happens at a much higher rate than on console.

That and unlike most competitive games, fighting game events don't get much in the way of sweet, sweet esports dollars so setups have to be procured either from third parties (if the event is big enough to budget for that) or source them from the community itself. PC builds are generally more expensive and more cumbersome to bring to events. There are ways to mitigate this, but with the other issues at hand it isn't really worth it right now.

I think I'm somewhere at like 45% WR and still an Initiate.

But I'm learning which is nice.

For the Frame data stuff, I'm assuming it's like this:

-X or more I can punish with a move that comes out in X frames or less
+X frames means I'm "stuck" for X amount of blockstun and need to account for that if I try to beat out the next move

Correct? So if I'm - on a move I will probably get punished, and if I'm + on a move I can set up a frame trap with it?

Ferrio

Banned
Correct? So if I'm - on a move I will probably get punished, and if I'm + on a move I can set up a frame trap with it?

You have the idea but this isn't totally correct. Just because you're negative doesn't mean you'll be punished. Anything -10 and higher is potentially punishable, anything lower than you're safe if you block. Roughly speaking -10 is punishable only by jab type moves, and once you get to -15 you can possibly be punished with a launcher.

CSX

I have -- it sucks. No PC version of a fighting game allows you to plug in controllers after boot (with the exception of cccaster, which isn't considered tournament legal now for other reasons), so every time you have a new set of people come up you have to have to kill the game, have everyone plug in, wait for the computer to detect the device, restart the game from scratch and then go through the normal config crap on top of that. Then there's the whole mess of devices not working randomly or games crashing randomly and other crap that happens at a much higher rate than on console.

That and unlike most competitive games, fighting game events don't get much in the way of sweet, sweet esports dollars so setups have to be procured either from third parties (if the event is big enough to budget for that) or source them from the community itself. PC builds are generally more expensive and more cumbersome to bring to events. There are ways to mitigate this, but with the other issues at hand it isn't really worth it right now.

you dont have to reboot tekken when unplugging and plugging controllers though i agree with everything else

Astral

OK, maybe I don't know how you feel.

Lol. It's pretty bad. I know what I'm doing as Asuka but I just suck at actually playing the game if that makes sense. Suck at blocking, suck at dealing with pressure, suck pressuring. And Jesus do people actually like these 6 person rooms? You'll be waiting 10 minutes till it's your turn.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You have to do a bit of extra prep work to run on PC's. You set up a PC how you want, install all the required games, then install all the stick drivers you can (or run DirectInput wrappers for a single generic driver), then you disk image that and install that image on all your PC's. No more stick installation issues, everything is ready to go.

As for eSports dollars, you're nuts. Intel just kicked 1 Million Dollars into a CS:GO tournament for shits and giggles. Then you got players like Dell/Alienware, AMD, Corsair, and others kicking in Pot bonuses bigger then Capcom Cup's grand prize to individual tournaments, not to mention supplying all the required hardware. If Intel for example kicked in even a "paltry" (by their standards) $25k pot bonus to a FGC major, that'd be more then anyone else is doing by a significant margin.

Kumubou

You have to do a bit of extra prep work to run on PC's. You set up a PC how you want, install all the required games, then install all the stick drivers you can (or run DirectInput wrappers for a single generic driver), then you disk image that and install that image on all your PC's. No more stick installation issues, everything is ready to go.

As for eSports dollars, you're nuts. Intel just kicked 1 Million Dollars into a CS:GO tournament for shits and giggles. Then you got players like Dell/Alienware, AMD, Corsair, and others kicking in Pot bonuses bigger then Capcom Cup's grand prize to individual tournaments, not to mention supplying all the required hardware. If Intel for example kicked in even a "paltry" (by their standards) $25k pot bonus to a FGC major, that'd be more then anyone else is doing by a significant margin.
I've tried doing all of that legwork in the past. You can mitigate some of the issue that come up, but then you run into problems where someone's stick just doesn't work on a specific PC setup because it barfs on the USB hardware that PC setup uses (older Madcatz sticks are notorious for this, and it's a problem that randomly comes up even on newer devices) or the computer just flips out over the devices being plugged in and requires a hard reboot or some other esoteric problem.

These issues could be further addressed by developers (and good on Namco for actually bothering to get that supported in Tekken 7 on PC), but if you're expecting someone like Capcom to address their problems with the PC port (never mind issues that have been known for years that have been met with nothing but a wet fart), you're high.

For SF5 and Injustice 2 specifically, the pro leagues for those games have Sony as their title sponsor so there's no chance those events will ever be run on PC hardware. And after that... what games would sponsors even want to bother with? More niche games like Guilty Gear aren't going to drive audiences.

I guess Tekken might actually be able to get some of that attention from PC manufactures (as Sony is not actually involved with the Tekken World Tour -- it's Twitch), but that would require the game to pull in viewership numbers to warrant that kind of marketing money to begin with, which would then require Namco to put in far more support than it currently has been. I don't see it happening (although I don't think its impossible).

It's definitely not raw stubbornness. I know from the local players I know for both GG and Tekken the majority of them practice and play online on PC and only play on the PS4 version during offline sessions -- and the better online functionality is the main driver of that for those games.

lmao who the fuck is going to provide the PCs for not only professional pool play but casuals? That's more money than any damn console. All those sponsors give a shit about CSGO and the rest because those things pull in way more money than FGs ever will.

And lmao at asking tournament organizers to do all that on what is essentially their dime with little return. Bad enough dudes are stressing out trying to get shit running, now they have to worry about a format that could potentially come with errors. Don't act like PC gaming is all roses and faultless.

Some of y'all need some perspective.

patchday

Tekken never really had DLC like this so we'll just have to see.

Ah gotcha

Love master ravens design, but i think for tournament play she's gonna be one of those characters that people warm to slowly. The few times I've used her she seems odd in terms of how she controls

Also just avoid Tier lists, unless you're planning on going to Evo there pretty much just useless, although interesting to see other peoples opinions. It's pretty much confirmed my opinion that gigas is awful, also I hate his design.

But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm not a pro ;)

yeah I usually go out of my way to avoid them but I gradually start to get a grasp of the meta just watching the pros play. But yeah no plans to go to Evo or anything. just going to try to master these base mechanics and have fun

It's not like video game stories are all that good, at the end of the day. But I just couldn't get behind the dumb powerup the Cage family got, the teenagers taking out hardened warriors like chumps, Kahn being a jobber and a total moron (alongside his on-again-off-again posse being lame as shit - poor Ermac!), the lame tension between the Cage parents, and the embarrassment that is Reptile. Too many things made me roll my eyes, but none of that compared to what 9 did towards the tail end. All that build up for a snowball of real dumb reasons.

But eh, it's just my personal opinion. Critically acclaimed doesn't mean shit when it got a lot of bluster for trying harder than most games. Most of the damn reviews couldn't articulate why the story was good in the same way someone can articulate how the writing of a game from another genre is good.

You make some fair points. I feel you on the
Cage parents tension
that made me roll my eyes too. edit- Adding spoiler tag

Skilletor

lmao who the fuck is going to provide the PCs for not only professional pool play but casuals? That's more money than any damn console. All those sponsors give a shit about CSGO and the rest because those things pull in way more money than FGs ever will.

And lmao at asking tournament organizers to do all that on what is essentially their dime with little return. Bad enough dudes are stressing out trying to get shit running, now they have to worry about a format that could potentially come with errors. Don't act like PC gaming is all roses and faultless.

Some of y'all need some perspective.

This.

patchday

Not sure why does it matter what device the pros are using? I just want them to be provided with the best tools to do their jobs

Kumubou

Not sure why does it matter what device the pros are using? I just want them to be provided with the best tools to do their jobs
Fighting game events as they are now are open brackets with hundreds (and in extreme cases, thousands) of players that would need to be supported. It's a fundamentally different structure from what other competitive games use.

NEO0MJ

It might sound silly but man playing on PC with a monitor is such a game changer. I'm blocking stuff much more consistently, such as Bryan's low sweep launcher.

patchday

Fighting game events as they are now are open brackets with hundreds (and in extreme cases, thousands) of players that would need to be supported. It's a fundamentally different structure from what other competitive games use.

different topic but this really fascinates me how fighting games have open brackets. I've been to events as a spectator but never entered one.

It's a shame CEO, etc cant really stream the floor more (the randoms playing) til they get higher up

Perineum

Any word on what this coming patch will fix for PS4 and when it is coming?

I'm slowly falling out of love with the game due to its current state. I had a long wait for a 4 bar match that literally played like a 1 bar match---total slideshow city.

Really put a dumper on trying to learn Dragunov today too when 9/10 matches no one does runbacks. I win, they quit. I lose, they quit. Force it to be best out of 3 in ranked please.

Characters that have a magic 4 are good. As the wave-dasher animation stands up right before the attack. So the standing 4 (11 frames is best hence magic 4 will launch) and you get the juggle instead.

Otherwise a solid back dash to side step repeat and repeat, will also help.

Lastly watch the movement, if you feel your movement has initiative, then take it. Otherwise if their movement is first (typically a forward movement before yours) they have initiative, defend/sidestep/magic 4. A fast mid counter MIGHT work depending on spacing.... but if it's an expert electric wall of electrics, just good luck. Luckily to do those those electrics all the time is hard, their bound to miss a few (unless your playing JDR) :p

GrayFoxPL

Crouch jab and btw most crazy wavedashers don't consider stop option, so while wavedashing they are open to get hit by anything.

CSX

Characters that have a magic 4 are good. As the wave-dasher animation stands up right before the attack. So the standing 4 (11 frames is best hence magic 4 will launch) and you get the juggle instead.

Otherwise a solid back dash to side step repeat and repeat, will also help.

Lastly watch the movement, if you feel your movement has initiative, then take it. Otherwise if their movement is first (typically a forward movement before yours) they have initiative, defend/sidestep/magic 4. A fast mid counter MIGHT work depending on spacing.... but if it's an expert electric wall of electrics, just good luck. Luckily to do those those electrics all the time is hard, their bound to miss a few (unless your playing JDR) :p

Crouch jab and btw most crazy wavedashers don't consider stop option, so while wavedashing they are open to get hit by anything.

thanks a lot. i play mishimas myself but it was the first time i ever played against an overly aggressive mishima lol. Not knowing how to defend against the same shit i do is kinda embarrassing :p

Decided to pick a copy up for PS4 at a decent price. Hope online is bearable

4 or 5 bars is just fine. 3 bars causes issues, 2 bars and below is .. inadvisable.

At least I don't feel massively hindered. That said, I do hope that they patch it.

I still haven't gotten my preorder dlc after contacting namco twice and the store i ordered at 3 times. I'm contemplating making a thread about it, because I really think that namco is letting us down with this preorder character dlc crap, and then on top of that locking it behind a code that's not included in the box, (in europe) leading stores that don't know about preorder codes confused and in the end, unable (in my case) to provide me with one, as they have no idea how to get it themselves.

PC needs a rematch option patched into player match ASAP

Takes like 10-15 minutes to get 2 matches in with all the loading, exiting back to select characters, syncing, etc.

video game "summer" technically means until the end of September right? I have credit for the Tekken 7 season pass but I really don't care about gold outfits.

Top Bottom