• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

They have a very different play-styles so you can't go wrong with going either first.

But if we are just talking about the mechanics, zerkers' play style does not really translate to Slayers easily. Warrior to Slayer (or vice versa) is closer.

Learning how to play Zerker well is harder than learning Slayer. You gotta be patient and you need to know what kind of Zerker you are. Glyph your skills accordingly. Zerkers tend to be more MP hungry than Slayers but I've met a few Zerkers who can manage their MP well.

I really like the backstab/dodge movements of Slayers, though ^____^

Zerkers are heavy armour and I love the heavy armour designs better than leather :>

Both are awesome dps classes :> And you need to learn how to adapt when you are playing in a group. Having a tank and healer means you can lean a bit more on the party and a great zerker knows how to maximize the fuck out of his damage output at the higher levels (when in party). Mystic has MP and Crit boost, but Priest has damage boost.

Soloing playstyle vs. Group playstyle is an interesting dynamic in TERA, imho ^____^

Hope you enjoy your Zerker! It's a very fun class to play. CYCLOOOOONEEEEE~

But I heard Zerkers experience a lot of dodging issues at higher levels. And PVP is sad for Zerkers. huhuhu .____.

Got to lvl 10 on my zerker today and yeah the combat def takes some getting used to. The wind up animations really remind me of Demons/Dark Souls haha, really have to commit to your attacks. So far liking it though I still quite lost, got to the big city and have been wandering there a bit

Got to lvl 10 on my zerker today and yeah the combat def takes some getting used to. The wind up animations really remind me of Demons/Dark Souls haha, really have to commit to your attacks. So far liking it though I still quite lost, got to the big city and have been wandering there a bit

*___*

aguhhhhhhhh you are now level 10 <3333333333 aaaaahhhh

<33333

sorry sorry for squealing XD you just reminded me of my own early days <3 such nostalgia :>

you just got to Velika? :> aaah so cute <3

oh, you can cancel out of your zerker attacks by interrupting it with other skills. i forgot which thing cancels most effectively though

which server are you playing on? :> oh gosh. i love newcomers' vibes. <33333

*___*

aguhhhhhhhh you are now level 10 <3333333333 aaaaahhhh

<33333

sorry sorry for squealing XD you just reminded me of my own early days <3 such nostalgia :>

you just got to Velika? :> aaah so cute <3

oh, you can cancel out of your zerker attacks by interrupting it with other skills. i forgot which thing cancels most effectively though

which server are you playing on? :> oh gosh. i love newcomers' vibes. <33333

haha, I'm on Tempest I believe, hope I chose the right server. O with regards to getting drops on mobs, are mobs bound to the first person that did damage?

Corgi

Banned
got my little lancer to lvl 8 or 9 or so. they really did boost quest exp.

Been ages since i've played this though.... but was mp recharge always this slow? Most mmos turbocharge mp regen outside of battle, but not this o_O

haha, I'm on Tempest I believe, hope I chose the right server. O with regards to getting drops on mobs, are mobs bound to the first person that did damage?

mobs sort of go after highest damager or skills that generate agro (like healing or taunting)

yessssss that be the right server aaaaa

ugh :< you guys making me really want to jump back in

i've been fighting the temptations though cuz i've got so much things to do for preparation for xmas / ny stuff. family and friends and social calendar is packed to the brim for me.

:<

i hope you continue to enjoy it, razzy!!! let me know if you has questions~ i am vicariously re-living the game through youuuuu~

got my little lancer to lvl 8 or 9 or so. they really did boost quest exp.

Been ages since i've played this though.... but was mp recharge always this slow? Most mmos turbocharge mp regen outside of battle, but not this o_O

It's slow, you gotta use mp charms to speed it up.

Puru

Soloed the first dungeon i think (Bastion of Kol was the name if my memory is correct), took easily more than one hour and somehow one of the boss didn't count for the quest, maybe the fatty gave him the finishing blow.
Sad Elin lancer is sad.

It was good fun though, i really love the combat in this game.

Soloed the first dungeon i think (Bastion of Kol was the name if my memory is correct), took easily more than one hour and somehow one of the boss didn't count for the quest, maybe the fatty gave him the finishing blow.
Sad Elin lancer is sad.

It was good fun though, i really love the combat in this game.

BoL :D Bastion of Lok. Aaaaaaaaaaaah memories *_____*

Grats on soloing your first dungeon~

yaffi

There's a fix for the small font:

From here.

Isn't that for the chat only?

Here's what I mean:

tera_screenshot_201417vy5x.png

It looks like En Masse needs to work on some things...

I keep getting a "HTTP invalid response" message when trying to update..
I tried restarting my computer, and uninstalling and reinstalling it. But it's still giving me the message...

Merun

Question about the UI...Some of the stuff is a bit off screen (shown in SS below). Can I fix/move it? Same with the hot bar when I hit ESC - it overlaps my skills a bit.

You can move and scale everything IIRC. I think you just need to drag and drop, but you can always check the UI options for other things.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can move and scale everything IIRC. I think you just need to drag and drop, but you can always check the UI options for other things.

Thanks - I'll toy around with it. I wasn't able to find anything in my few minutes with the game this morning, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm super overwhelmed with what I should be doing now. Is the guild still active?

Merun

Thanks - I'll toy around with it. I wasn't able to find anything in my few minutes with the game this morning, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm super overwhelmed with what I should be doing now. Is the guild still active?

If you are new to the game, your best bet is to just follow the main story quest ( red one ) and perhaps some side one ( yellow ).

Neoak is trying to revive the Tempest Reach guild. Myself I'm not sure I want to get back fully into the game because, well, MMO are huge time sink xD But at least I will try to reach level 65.

trying to rush off the stater island. at least i have a horse. i want the snowman mount though. can't decide if i want. may buy it tonight. but anyways. makes running around the place a little less boring. lol

getting used to playing. for some reason i keep double tapping down trying to evade.

trying to rush off the stater island. at least i have a horse. i want the snowman mount though. can't decide if i want. may buy it tonight. but anyways. makes running around the place a little less boring. lol

getting used to playing. for some reason i keep double tapping down trying to evade.

Guild wars has you trained. Is there an actual evade tho? Or are you suppose to just sidestep away from attacks?

Caayn

Does someone now how to cap the framerate at your monitors refresh rate? For some reason Tera caps at 80fps instead of 60fps. And I don't see any options to change that.

Guild wars has you trained. Is there an actual evade tho? Or are you suppose to just sidestep away from attacks?

lol. maybe that's why.

But Sorcerer has a backstep skill.

I was gone too long. there's lots of changes to the UI especially the skill tree. was like wut. how do i navigate this.

Various classes have various mechanics, iirc it's on right mouse button by default. Lancer is shield block and Zerker weapon block(take some damage unlike lancer), Warrior and Slayer is a typical dodge with invuln frames, Archer is also a dodge but with less invuln frames, Priest is some sort of backflip, Mage is a short blink and forgot about Mystic. I might be mixing some stuff up though as last time I played was during initial release, but each classes had their own stuff to avoid taking damage, some better than others. Lots of skills have movement in them too which can be used to move quickly and avoid hits, since everything is hitbox based.

Various classes have various mechanics, iirc it's on right mouse button by default. Lancer is shield block and Zerker weapon block(take some damage unlike lancer), Warrior and Slayer is a typical dodge with invuln frames, Archer is also a dodge but with less invuln frames, Priest is some sort of backflip, Mage is a short blink and forgot about Mystic. I might be mixing some stuff up though as last time I played was during initial release, but each classes had their own stuff to avoid taking damage, some better than others. Lots of skills have movement in them too which can be used to move quickly and avoid hits, since everything is hitbox based.

Awesome thanks for the info, guess I should start learning when to block on my zerker then, I haven't had much need to use it so far, tho I'm sure it'll be crucial later on

Awesome thanks for the info, guess I should start learning when to block on my zerker then, I haven't had much need to use it so far, tho I'm sure it'll be crucial later on

I don't know how useful it is on zerker. Back when I played, it was basically the most worthless of all the moves and you'd just charge stuff up away from the bosses then move in to hit them once and run out again. Probably has changed though, so it might actually be good nowadays, or at least required for specific mechanics that would otherwise result in instant death.

just run around and let a sorc throw fireballs and aoe skills at BAMs lol.
the memories of BAMs though. and pretending be a tank with a sorc lol.

you probably don't want me on your team if i take pictures during battles. lol

but the game makes for some nice images though

aw man. going to sink hours this weekend. don't have anything planned really lol.

I don't know how useful it is on zerker. Back when I played, it was basically the most worthless of all the moves and you'd just charge stuff up away from the bosses then move in to hit them once and run out again. Probably has changed though, so it might actually be good nowadays, or at least required for specific mechanics that would otherwise result in instant death.

hmm... noted

just run around and let a sorc throw fireballs and aoe skills at BAMs lol.
the memories of BAMs though. and pretending be a tank with a sorc lol.

you probably don't want me on your team if i take pictures during battles. lol

but the game makes for some nice images though

aw man. going to sink hours this weekend. don't have anything planned really lol.

nub question but whats a "BAM"?

Syril

Learning how to play this game again is going to be NUTS. Are there good articles on Lancer skills and rotations?

Oh, is this the kind of game where the enemy behavior is that predictable that there's an optimal skill rotation? It sounded more like it involved just using the skills appropriate to the situation as the need arose.

NeOak

If you are new to the game, your best bet is to just follow the main story quest ( red one ) and perhaps some side one ( yellow ).

Neoak is trying to revive the Tempest Reach guild. Myself I'm not sure I want to get back fully into the game because, well, MMO are huge time sink xD But at least I will try to reach level 65.

I think I'll have to be like the BRs and start spamming ;-;

Seriously though, it will take a while. I'd rather build slowly with people someone knows than get to 70 members that are anons

I was playing with Squishy and Yosha yesterday so I wasn't recruiting

Does someone now how to cap the framerate at your monitors refresh rate? For some reason Tera caps at 80fps instead of 60fps. And I don't see any options to change that.

That's a setting in the S1Engine.ini

I don't recommend forcing V-sync for this game. At all. It can seriously affect your framerate.

Learning how to play this game again is going to be NUTS. Are there good articles on Lancer skills and rotations?

Press block buttang to block :eek:

Endgame guide: http://teratoday.com/content/tera-guide/tera-class-guide/tera-lancer-guide-pve-dante

Ignore the equipment for now. You can't get it anymore.

Oh, is this the kind of game where the enemy behavior is that predictable that there's an optimal skill rotation? It sounded more like it involved just using the skills appropriate to the situation as the need arose.

There are optimal skill rotations. Healers are kinda the only ones that have to be ready for WTF moments at all time and the rotations are for buffs.

But there are moments that DPS rotations go out of the window too. So its a mix of both predictability and unpredictability.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks NeOak - I used to be a pretty baller tank, not gonna lie. But there's just a LOT to learn again. Lots of skills! I know there aren't any "rotations" per se, but there are skills that are much more useful to slot and have off CD at all times.

Yay, I finally got back in! I missed this game, I don't know why I ever left. Once I got out of the habit... for some reason it seemed big to try to get back in.

I used to play this on my 2500K, but my FM1 APU actually isn't doing too bad...

And oh my goodness, things have changed. They upped the level cap from 60. It's 65 now, I guess. That's means I'm behind now... is my Regent gear really outdated now?

What's changed and what should I do? When I was last in, I was looking or gold in the three towers, level 60 and had Regent gear. And I would do daily quests and Argon Corpus and Manaya's Core.

Oh.. and I'm not in my old guild anymore... I guess it makes sense... it's been a long time. I hope my friends are still there...
Does anyone else play on Celestial Hills? I would love to befriend some people here.

Ruff

The new stuff is seriously hard. 5 man vault is a pain without a perfect tank, RG took us a solid hour because the bosses had far to much HP for our 65 quest gear.. I don't even want to think about how hard BR is going to be.

Big Ass Monster, aka open world boss. Sadly they were nerfed, but they used to provide a good challenge and some maps were full of BAM.

ah thanks, o also question. I think I'm dragging my friend and his fiance along into Tera. He wants to know if its viable for a slayer to tank. Also, is Archer or Sorc the better ranged dps for pve and pvp? Which is the easier class to play?

NeOak

ah thanks, o also question. I think I'm dragging my friend and his fiance along into Tera. He wants to know if its viable for a slayer to tank. Also, is Archer or Sorc the better ranged dps for pve and pvp? Which is the easier class to play?

Warrior is the one that can be DPS or Tank. Slayer tanking is not something for the faint of heart due to oneshots.

Sorc usually if you can manage the rotation. But definitely archer if you want to do PvP. They wreck in 1v1s.

There isn't one that you can call "easier". Depends on your play style. People say DPS are easy but i suck at it. Yet, I can do pro heals even with shit gear.

Don't forget to roll in Tempest Reach ;3

Warrior is the one that can be DPS or Tank. Slayer tanking is not something for the faint of heart due to oneshots.

Sorc usually if you can manage the rotation. But definitely archer if you want to do PvP. They wreck in 1v1s.

There isn't one that you can call "easier". Depends on your play style. People say DPS are easy but i suck at it. Yet, I can do pro heals even with shit gear.

Don't forget to roll in Tempest Reach ;3

O we did, and yeah oddly enough I play healer most of the time in our group of friends but I thought I would be soloing so I chose zerker

I guess most people her are on Tempest Reach.... I do have a character on there for the auction house prices...

But I like roleplaying and being on the roleplaying server... I guess I could go on Tempest Reach sometimes to say hi. My character on Tempest Reach is only level 40... though...

I'm very very partial to Celestial Hills... though... I never even made a character on Tempest Reach... until I needed to to afford Regent gear. Roleplaying is very important to me to be a part of and support.

NeOak

O we did, and yeah oddly enough I play healer most of the time in our group of friends but I thought I would be soloing so I chose zerker

Then apply to the guild! :3

I guess most people her are on Tempest Reach.... I do have a character on there for the auction house prices...

But I like roleplaying and being on the roleplaying server... I guess I could go on Tempest Reach sometimes to say hi. My character on Tempest Reach is only level 40... though...

I'm very very partial to Celestial Hills... though... I never even made a character on Tempest Reach... until I needed to to afford Regent gear. Roleplaying is very important to me to be a part of and support.

If you have a level 40, you can roll a Reaper.

The most roleplaying we do in TR is "being" an Elin for fun. Like, fluffy tails and stuff as a joke. I think some do Roleplay here though, but i'm not sure who they are.

Oh, thank you for responding.

Can you give me a quick refresh on what's new and what I'm missing since I've played?
If you don't mind... that is..

Scher

They're coming to arrest the elin players, obviously. Although the one police car mount I saw was being driven by an elin.

Any special rules for those who are considering hopping on and joining the guild? Just apply and mention GAF or something, I'm assuming?

NeOak

They're coming to arrest the elin players, obviously. Although the one police car mount I saw was being driven by an elin.

Any special rules for those who are considering hopping on and joining the guild? Just apply and mention GAF or something, I'm assuming?
Let me know you are from GAF to give you the Gaffer rank

Top Bottom