• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Nirran

Anyone have anymore buddy codes possible to share? Game looks incredible but just don't want to buy before trying it.

In other news, I can't login to my account as the page refreshes. Works fine on my ipad but the second I try it on here via firefox and ie9 it just refreshes. Even trying to reset my password doesn't work as it takes me to the login screen. One guy has this problem on the forums and they're stumped by it.

jiien

It's that bad...?

And here I am downloading 14 gigs for the beta... Oh well.

Hey guys, any guides out there that can help me pick a class ? I'm leaning towards a melee class this time (I usually play mages), but can't pick which one I like best.

I can give you a brief informal overview of all of the melee classes.

I'll start with the only pure tank, Lancer. Uses heavy armor and a lance/shield combo. Pretty standard tanking affair. They are very durable, and rely on a blocking mechanic that absorbs all damage and costs MP. They tend to be solid walls of defense in group PvP, and in early 1v1 PvP, rock everyone's socks. Other classes catch up by max level (reportedly). For PvE, they make a standard, simple Tank. Out of the two tanks in the game, they are far easier to play (that doesn't at all undermine their usefulness or the skill of those that play them, as a bad Lancer is still a bad Lancer).

The other tank is a hybrid DPS/tank, the Warrior. Uses light armor (though has a "stance" and associated buffs to get similar defense to the heavy armor wearing Lancer) and dual swords. Fast hits, very mobile. Acts an an avoidance tank when in that role. In PvP, they don't shine until late levels, where they get deadly with lots of stuns and ridiculous mobility. In PvE, their DPS is middle to bottom of the pack, but they come with important debuffs that make them valuable to any group. As far as tanking goes, they are VERY hard to play in a tank role. It's not impossible, and a Warrior can tank all of the content in the game. It just takes a lot more work, and a lot more practice.

Berserker and Slayer are the two pure DPS classes, and are something of an analogue to the two classes mentioned above.

A Berserker, like the Lancer, has a block mechanic to mitigate incoming damage. Uses heavy armor and a massive axe. They are not as mobile, and rely on slow hitting moves with high burst. They have charging skills and are a very durable solo class, in that they are one of the easier classes to solo BAMs with because of their solid hits and ability to pseudo-tank lower end content (not sure how well this scales into higher levels).

The Slayer, like the Warrior, has a dodge mechanic to avoid incoming damage. Uses light armor and a large two-handed sword. Slayers are more bursty than the Warrior, though not quite as fast (and not as slow as the Berserker). I would consider them a pretty standard affair as far as DPS goes, but they come with a solid range attack and a bunch of gap closers. They are considered one of the best PvP classes, if not the best, as Slayers are so well rounded that they have a tool for every situation. They make for a VERY solid, dependable DPS class in general.

Other people can add to/correct the above. These are just my impressions/experiences and the culmination of a lot of reading on the various classes.

Hey guys, CE pre-order here. I haven't received any head start codes yet - will I get some? Do I need a head start code even though I'm a CE pre-order? Thanks!

jiien

Hey guys, CE pre-order here. I haven't received any head start codes yet - will I get some? Do I need a head start code even though I'm a CE pre-order? Thanks!

Pretty sure there are no headstart codes. If you have already bought it, and/or buy it before launch, it's a preorder, so you can just jump in.

Damnit, I didn't get any codes to hand out in the place of cookies/cake. :( You can't just bribe people to be casual!

NeOak

The codes are for friends so they can try the game for 3 days. Pre-orders don't need a code.

Damnit, I didn't get any codes to hand out in the place of cookies/cake. :( You can't just bribe people to be casual!

image.php

Rinoa

I get a borg queen vibe from the argon queen.

I don't get why they had to shove so many shots into the trailer though, if I didn't know anything about TERA I can't tell wtf is what. Way too much focus on bald space marine looking human as well, guess that's what they think is appealing to the non-TERA crowd.

Jackl

The other tank is a hybrid DPS/tank, the Warrior. Uses light armor (though has a "stance" and associated buffs to get similar defense to the heavy armor wearing Lancer) and dual swords. Fast hits, very mobile. Acts an an avoidance tank when in that role. In PvP, they don't shine until late levels, where they get deadly with lots of stuns and ridiculous mobility. In PvE, their DPS is middle to bottom of the pack, but they come with important debuffs that make them valuable to any group. As far as tanking goes, they are VERY hard to play in a tank role. It's not impossible, and a Warrior can tank all of the content in the game. It just takes a lot more work, and a lot more practice.

I've seen some evidence that warriors can spec full DPS at end game.

So this guy says anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxXvkKgJAc

jiien

I've seen some evidence that warriors can spec full DPS at end game.

So this guy says anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxXvkKgJAc

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, my mistake. By hybrid, I just meant that they can play both roles, since no other class can do that.

While I'm at it, I should note that Bluehole has been making some changes to both the Lancer and the Warrior, in an attempt to make the Lancer slight less painful when it comes to soloing at endgame, and make the Warrior both better at DPS in general (should the Warrior decide to go into a DPS role) and tanking in general (by way of a "stamina" system). Anyway, these changes are reportedly right around the corner.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pro tip: If you aren't having fun with whatever class yoou start with, try a different type. Melee and ranged are both decidedly different and a buddy of mine actually didn't like ranged at all, but loved the lancer.

Yes, keep cycling through classes til you find the one that hits that sweet spot. They all play VERY differently from each other. I went from sorc, to war.... and was like THIS IS IT.

vaelic

Banned
I always play a tank in MMOs but when I tried the tank (lancer) in Tera during open beta, It felt.....slow/sluggish... can't pinpoint it... maybe its the big lancer animation?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I always play a tank in MMOs but when I tried the tank (lancer) in Tera during open beta, It felt.....slow/sluggish... can't pinpoint it... maybe its the big lancer animation?

Lancer is a very slow and very unique class. I loooove playing one (but I lanced in MH, too), but it's not like any normal tanking class in standard MMOs.

vaelic

Banned
Lancer is a very slow and very unique class. I loooove playing one (but I lanced in MH, too), but it's not like any normal tanking class in standard MMOs.

can you explain a bit more about not like any normal tanking class? I really want to play a tank as I always do, but I was put off on the sluggish combat....

Apus

Neo Member
I'd like to know a bit more about the intricacies of the Lancer too, especially when tanking dungeons. When I was tanking I always felt like I was being pushed to just taunt when off CD and block attacks while trying to get enough hits in for me to not run out of mana.

I did quite like the Lancer, but I'm not 100% sure it's the class for me. I think I'll be trying out a Slayer, although the Berserker looks pretty cool too. I prefer the blocking mechanic to the dodging one, however I usually shy away from slow attackers like the Berserker. Having to worry about charging my attacks properly whilst also timing out BAM attacks might be hella fun, though... So many cool choices!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
can you explain a bit more about not like any normal tanking class? I really want to play a tank as I always do, but I was put off on the sluggish combat....

The first example that comes to mind is that you're expected to block and NOT take damage. Your healer will obviously heal you when you need it, but if you don't actively block (and thus do very little actual damage), you'll drop far too quick. As I mentioned, Lancers do not do damage. I mean, we can manage solo on standard mobs, yeah...but on BAMs or instance bosses? Nope. Your goal is to glyph for aggro genation and poke with your lance to keep your MP up.

Another thing that's very different (and will definitely challenge you!) is positioning. When you block certain attacks, you are pushed away a bit. In the case of certain BAMs, you can be pushed back a few meters. In some cases, you can squat against a wall and manage, but in other situations, you may have a harder time with this (views can get wonky). In order to keep max DPS and your healer not going crazy, you need to make sure you learn how to effectively turn the boss when he pushes you (stun, lunge, move, shout for attention works).

It sounds somewhat typical in some cases...But until you do it, you won't get the full feel for how different it is. I tanked in WoW a bit, and that felt very stale and, well, boring. TERA tanking has been awesome and challenging. There's some good pleasure in perfect-tanking a BAM and taking no damage for an entire fight. :bros:

E: I forgot to mention a few things. Lancers are, well, very sluggish. Zerks are slow because they have to pull a lot of charge damage. We are slow because we are. So far, I've only almost wiped the party because of a poorly timed block. You do have to learn how that works...

Which leads me to my favorite Lancer tactic!!! Block canceling! You can literally cancel out of any attack to a block with Lancer. Oh my gosh, it's rad. I've used it a LOT, haha. You could be in the middle of a rush down when you need to turn around and shout. Cool style - rush away, block, flip around, shout, rock out. It's a very fun and useful mechanic that can really tilt the outcome of some encounters.

I also learned that you have to drop the hammer on your party sometimes. Getting aggro with Lancer is a learning game, and after a rough SM run with a few guildies, I picked up on a few things. The long and short of it is that you have to learn how to use your shout and aggro generating abilities effectively. Boss aggro can be odd if you block too much, and group aggro is hard because some classes can out aggro you with their insane damage (Slayer and Sorcs like woah).

Hmm...It's late and I'm running low on juice here. Feel free to ask some specifics and I'd be glad to help answer if I can!

Westlo

4 pm my time now... TERA servers open up 1 am my time.... seriously considering just going to sleep right now (only got 3 hours sleep to bfore work.. hmmm..)

This game has hooked me line and sinker! And lol @ the Aus whirlpool forums GW2 thread having like 10 people ask how they can get a refund.

Hmm... do I keep working on my level 29 on Jagged Coast or move to VoT? I don't really want to redo those first few zones but it'd be nice to be in a real guild.

Sephon

God damn it, gave into the pressure of getting TERA due to the downtime before Diablo 3, Dragon's Dogma and Max Payne 3.

But after ordering, I realised that it's a god damn weekend now for 5 days, so I'll probably won't get any codes, game or any fun for the moneys.
My only hope is that big stores (elgiganten) works all weekend and send me my code at least.

Sephon

I got 3 friends key if anyone wants it. First three that quote this, I will send you a Pm with the code.

I might be a bitch if I took one since I've ordered the game, but I'll ask for it anyway.
Can I has one, except if there are others in greater need?

GorillaJu

I got 3 friends key if anyone wants it. First three that quote this, I will send you a Pm with the code.

If you haven't given them all away I'd love one.

I have an older laptop for my gaming and almost pulled the trigger on this game today, but decided to hold off in case I can't run it well enough to enjoy.

Looks really nice though. Very tempting.

Izayoi

Banned
Keep in mind everyone, it's quite possible that TERA will have a trial system in place shortly after launch. I believe that in Korea the game is free to play until you hit level 20. To progress any further you need to pay subscription fee. I'm willing to bet that EME will combine that with some sort of limited-time system in order to get your typical "7 day free trial!" or whatever.

Damn. Anyone else have code goodies?
You can always scan the thread for the hidden codes and try them to see if one works for you.

Top Bottom