• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Vesper73

Dude...GW2 beta.... /fart sound

Please tell me that Tera doesn't use a static bitmap in the background to simulate distant terrain. GW2 does this and it looks like ass.

Developers: please don't try to hide a crappy view distance by sticking a distracting static bitmap in the background that we can't travel to. It's like you're trying to fool us, but nobody is fooled! ......unbelievable! In 2012......

Izayoi

Banned
Please tell me that Tera doesn't use a static bitmap in the background to simulate distant terrain. GW2 does this and it looks like ass.
You can see the capital cities from pretty much anywhere on their respective continents, and they're 3D models. All distant terrain in TERA is actual geometry.

Slacker

Eggs removed?

broslap_medium.gif

Hixx

Ok so something has randomly buggered up my textures. It seems like an incredibly harsh lod problem and I have no idea what has caused it - didn't have any problems until about an hour ago when I alt tabbed out and after numerous reboots, the problem has stayed. Look at the floor texture in these pics:

And d3doverrider decided to stop working so I've had to use Inspector to get triple buffering back :/

Anyone any ideas how to fix it or why it's even happened?

Desaan

I know that place is right near the flight path and is pretty busy, I never noticed it happening but maybe it's scaling down textures in overcrowded areas? It's the Unreal engine, Aion was the same.

Hixx

I know that place is right near the flight path and is pretty busy, I never noticed it happening but maybe it's scaling down textures in overcrowded areas? It's the Unreal engine, Aion was the same.

It only started happening when I got to Velika - the Isle of Dawn was packed and I had no visual problems or slowdown (and Velika is relatively empty compared to the Isle of Dawn at the moment) but the textures are still terrible now I've moved to Lumbertown.

Zeal

Banned
Can you believe I got fuckin' hit by food poisoning the other day from Taco Bell right before this launches? Jesus Christ, dude, I have felt like total HELL. Maybe a little TMI, but just thinking of playing this while recovering is already making me feel better. I got all kinds of snacks and everything ready for this and now I can't even look at food. lol.

Oh well, tomorrow is TERA day, baby.

Desaan

It only started happening when I got to Velika - the Isle of Dawn was packed and I had no visual problems or slowdown (and Velika is relatively empty compared to the Isle of Dawn at the moment) but the textures are still terrible now I've moved to Lumbertown.

I know there is a setting in the menu that automatically lowers details when in busy areas, maybe that's on?

KePoW

Banned
Can you believe I got fuckin' hit by food poisoning the other day from Taco Bell right before this launches? Jesus Christ, dude, I have felt like total HELL. Maybe a little TMI, but just thinking of playing this while recovering is already making me feel better. I got all kinds of snacks and everything ready for this and now I can't even look at food. lol.

Why in the world would you eat Taco Bell?!

That's playing with fire.

Dude, never eat that shit. Worst meat on the planet. Look it up!

Izayoi

Banned
And d3doverrider decided to stop working so I've had to use Inspector to get triple buffering back :/

Try reinstalling the most recent beta drivers. After you do, make sure that for whatever reason mipmapping and AF didn't get turned off. If they are off, crank them both.

Hixx

I know there is a setting in the menu that automatically lowers details when in busy areas, maybe that's on?
Try reinstalling the most recent beta drivers. After you do, make sure that for whatever reason mipmapping and AF didn't get turned off. If they are off, crank them both.

Nah definitely not on & my drivers are updated whenever a new one is released. The problem may have been the '3gb switch' I had to turn on to get the Witcher 2 working ages ago, turned it off and the problem seems to have gone but will wait a while and maybe take a trip back to the city to confirm.

Thanks for the help though.

TGMIII

Hit level 17 today, people are literally queuing up to kill certain mobs on ALL channels. Some crazy shit is already going on in regards to PVP. Someone made an Anonymous guild and started to go around in groups ganking people, so pretty much every other serious PVP guild now ganks Anonymous members whenever they see them.

Frogster have been slowly adding channels when they've been needed to it's nice to see them take an active approach to the population issues at the moment.

Babalu.

I have a few tera head start beta keys for anyone who wants them and hasn't pre-ordered. PM me if you want one. USA

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
i would have been fine if there was no auto attack and lock on lol.

Oh well at least most of the people that have been hyped that havent even played the game yet *but still raved on and on about how good it is and such* can get a nice wake up call from reality this weekend.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GW2 is getting so much hype from the first game, but from what I heard the game is very different from the original soo who knows.

I wouldn't really even say it's the hype from the first game.

The promises of a new experiance in mmos

The lack of the holy trinity

EVERYONE IS EVEN GEAR DOESNT MATTER OMGAH YAY

and no subscription *This is honestly the funniest one to me as it's obviously a huge double edge sword*

are all bigger pushes than GW1

NCSoft are masters of hype and astroturfing. That's all it is really and people keep falling for it. Tera on the other hand has had almost no marketing at all.

Political System

Get ready for it—TERA’s first vanarch elections will be coming up just a few weeks after launch. Every one of TERA’s active provinces will need a vanarch, and by then we should have a healthy pool of high-level players and active guilds eager to compete for the honor and power of the vanarchy. We want this first election to be fun, competitive, and highly meaningful to the participants and the voters.

If you think you have what it takes to be the people’s choice, you’ll have a week from the election announcement to mount your campaign and convince voters to throw their support behind you and not that other candidate.

Even if you don’t plan to run for office, you’ll still get to choose your world’s leaders with your vote, so you might want to know something about the process.

What’s a vanarch?

Vanarchs rule over the provinces of TERA’s world, and determine taxes and other policies within their provinces. One vanarch oversees each province for a period of one month until the next election.

Who can run?

At present, a candidate for vanarch must be at least level 50 and the leader of a level 3 guild with at least 20 members. To raise the level of your guild, earn Catharnach awards by doing guild quests. You’ll need 70 Catharnach awards to raise a guild to level 3.

Each candidate will declare for a particular province, provide a statement of candidacy, and pay a registration fee of 100 Catharnach awards and 3,000 gold. All candidates will need to register before the election deadline, which we will announce prominently on the website and in game.

Who can vote?

Vanarchs are elected by popular vote. Any character of level 20 or higher is eligible to vote, but your account is limited to one vote per server.

Which provinces will have vanarchs?

We currently have 15 active provinces including the Island of Dawn.

How can I campaign for vanarch?

Get noticed for your helpfulness.

Get yourself known as a helpful, courteous player. The election is decided by popular vote, so the more people associate your name with good experiences, the more likely they are to think kindly of you when the election rolls around.

Establish a good guild reputation.

If your guild is known for friendliness and helpfulness, you’ll gain reputation just by being its leader. If you communicate clearly what your guild stands for, voters will feel like they have a good reason to give you their votes.

Use teh Interwebs.

Campaign on your guild’s website or social media accounts to get your campaign in front of the voters. Don’t use your personal accounts—remember, no personal information allowed!

Spill some blood!

Host a deathmatch or tournament to create excitement and spread the word about you and your guild. The more voters are familiar with you, the more votes you’re likely to get.

Get your guild involved!

All your guild members should be completely committed to winning the election. They’ll need to amass gold and Catharnach awards, campaign for you, and support your candidacy with their time and energy.

But I still have more questions!

We know you do, and we’ll answer them on the politics page of the TERA Game Guide, which is coming to the TERA website very soon.

As we write this, TERA’s political system is still new and growing. We’re committed to making it even better, so some details may change over time.

syoaran

Got to 16 tonight, really enjoying it. Got stuck on this one mob in the second zone that everyone is spawn camping, so will login early tomorrow to try and grab it.

Need to find a decent sized guild though, getting zerged by guilds out to murder the pugs

Sadstick

Hey guys,

I have some head start codes, all my friends are already in, so here you go! Have Fun!

CNDDADGP4KDJEGMJKH7TCW73R
9KM6DRFPYLTG3GHPNFHW73CLR
AX3TAEJHG7ENTCYNAXF9RCEJG

Thanks,
~Sad

Apus

Neo Member
So tomorrow I'm planning on starting another archer on VoT, I can't decide on human female or Castanic. :\

I've been trying to decide what race to roll as well :p Take a look at the armor on the first page, I've been looking through them trying to see if that will sway me either way.

How big is the Dragonfall Neogaf guild? My gf and I will be looking for a guild with some good people ^^

NeOak

I've been trying to decide what race to roll as well :p Take a look at the armor on the first page, I've been looking through them trying to see if that will sway me either way.

How big is the Dragonfall Neogaf guild? My gf and I will be looking for a guild with some good people ^^

We had about 40 people at the end of the open beta

Also, thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471546

I'm with DMPrince. GW2 is boring the hell out of me..... Bring on the Tera!
This made me chuckle:
I'm genuinely thinking of calling AMEX to have a charge back done. GW2 makes FF14 look good.

Rinoa

YES! :D

It was in reference to the Island of Dawn cinematic dialogue, "By the Titans...that island is HUGE!"

The way the guy delivers that line is so comical and out of place it kills me each time.

I got all kinds of snacks and everything ready for this and now I can't even look at food. lol.

I know that feel, I bought 12 eggtarts, 2 packs of mochi and 1 pack of honey castella before a closed beta weekend. Stomach knew what was gonna be up!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Also, do you guys have any tips / strategies for leveling? Played the beta very little for the sake of not getting burnt out. I'll be playing berserker if that helps.

Top Bottom