• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Kammie

btw, they're currently streaming the new dungeons, if anyone wants to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/enmasseentertainment

171 ilvl and they barely cleared it. Warrior not in any stance, no one using panaceas after dying, no charms... The BAM also glitched up and kept attacking a wall and they had to reset the instance. lol

JWong

Banned
Don't know if you're playing priest or mystic, but levelling a priest gets alot quicker as soon as you get big blue burst of death (can't remember its name). You should play priest as a mixed melee/ranged class. In close for the bursts and then use your escapes to dole out the ranged damage.

Priest is probably my favourite class in the game. Solo combat gets superdynamic.

When do you get that?

Also, if I get a Tera retail, do I get the founder stuff?

JWong

Banned
Really? You are literally an invincible killing machine as Lancer in PvP. Nobody's a bigger PvP bully than Lancer. I got bullied by fucking Lancers more times than I could count.

I hear they're gear dependant to be powerful. I was just getting destroyed when I got to BG queue.

Also, seems weird that most of my stuns and leash seem to miss when they look like they shouldn't.

Kammie

I hear they're gear dependant to be powerful. I was just getting destroyed when I got to BG queue.

Also, seems weird that most of my stuns and leash seem to miss when they look like they shouldn't.
Welcome to TERA PVP. Enjoy the desync.

(The PVP in this game is shit on a stick. It's an unbalanced, buggy, stun-riddled mess that is never going to be fixed)

Kammie

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about PVP that much lol.
Well, unfortunately the game is designed in such a way that to get endgame PVP gear, you have to do PVE, and to get endgame PVE gear you have to do PVP. You're gonna have to spam BGs and Corsair's at some point or another.

Lancer isn't bad, you guys can live through pretty much anything. Try playing zerker like I used to, where you get two-shotted by anything and can't even retaliate when you're stunned since you have no escapes and all your attacks are charge moves.

Just talking about it brings back bad memories. ;_;

Rinoa

Dem dungeon names... did they get rid of the original localisation team? Because they did an amazing job previously.

Yup, mob train yo!

Yeah... my priest is more powerful than a warrior because of that one move (along with chaining others in between). This game balance is silly sometimes.

Personaj

Neo Member
Not sure if it's been posted yet but they're having a level up event where you can create a free level 58 character.
Info: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...ed-Chance-for-a-Free-Level-58-Character-94757

Here are the guidelines on getting your level 58:

• New characters created between Thursday, September 19 at 10 a.m. PST and Sunday, September 22 at 11:59 p.m. PST will be eligible for this event.

• You must create a race and class of your choosing and assign a name ending in ".Levelup"

-Correct: Treeshark.Levelup, Tocker.Levelup, Goose.Levelup, Duck.Chicken.Levelup
-Incorrect: Levelup.hammer, Level.Up.Me, Please.Levelup.Mychar, Treeshark.Lvlup
- Characters without “.Levelup” at the end will be ignored, so please double check your spelling and don't forget the dot!

• We will only allow one free level up per household for new accounts.
• For accounts that existed before 9/19/2013 at 10:00 am Pacific time, we will allow one eligible ".Levelup" character per game account.

- If you try and make multiple characters on your account or on multiple accounts, only the first created will become level 58.
- For existing players, one eligible ".Levelup" character should accomodate those with existing multi-player households.

Kammie

"One free level up per household for new accounts."

As if the game wasn't shitty enough with all the clueless non-English speakers running around (and that still don't know how to play their classes at 60). Now they're gonna be queueing up without knowing what a crystal even is. lol.

Cool for alts for existing accounts... not cool for new accounts.

You get used to it. A moving target is pretty hard to grab too. And then people jump about to exploit the knock down. You get the idea.

PvP really comes into its own in 3v3. Really enjoy it myself.

(The PVP in this game is shit on a stick. It's an unbalanced, buggy, stun-riddled mess that is never going to be fixed)

You sound like you have no experience with PvP whatsoever. Or indeed this game.

My main concern for this game is how easy it is becoming. All the gear from the new instances is superior to what was available previously (and is still only available on Tera Europe) which is completely overpowered for these new instances and indeed the old instances. To the degree that MCHM is still the hardest dungeon in the game post patch. With a 5 man party I can take down queen in 5 minute. What will that become with VM2 gear, 2 or 3 minutes? What does that achieve?

Supposedly BHS are working on harder content currently which may make VM2 or Wonderholme semi-required for the lesser players but even then I think it will be possible to clear it without much trouble with my current Regent gear. Hopefully BHS hit the sweet spot they achieved with the Argon content release in that the new content isn't face-rolled and cleared on day one. I can only hope because I don't derive much enjoyment from an easy win.

You could argue that it is a means to good PvP gear as it was once before but with PvE gear this good so readily available it almost makes me not want to play this game any more.

Kammie

You sound like you have no experience with PvP whatsoever. Or indeed this game.
lolz. I had something like 2200 hours logged by the time I quit. I won't even bother to argue, you can go to the official forums and read how 9/10 threads regarding PVP are about how it's broken.

Hmmm what class should I use for that level up?
I would do a healer class, particularly mystic, since they take the most effort to level (but I think you have a healer already). If not, I think I'd do whatever DPS class I want to try most. I wouldn't do a tank class since it's an important role, and you need to be eased into the mechanics to know how to handle and react to things.

JWong

Banned
I would do a healer class, particularly mystic, since they take the most effort to level (but I think you have a healer already). If not, I think I'd do whatever DPS class I want to try most. I wouldn't do a tank class since it's an important role, and you need to be eased into the mechanics to know how to handle and react to things.

Nah, I was complaining about healers. Only got a priest to level 5 lol.

Maybe I'll do a priest, but sketchy not knowing how to heal in the game that I shouldn't do dungeons for a while.

Well you obviously play a Lancer. PvP must be amazing for you. Try playing one of the shitty classes one day.

Well sure, I play a lancer. How are you treating what you're saying though? 1v1 ability, 3v3 or larger scale?

The only class I wouldn't really fancy in PvP is berserker. For small scale at least. Every other class is pretty boss to my understanding.

Hmmm what class should I use for that level up?

I would say to go Priest too. If only to have a buff bot. Priest are pretty amazing overall though, for PvE and PvP.

Rinoa

Get ready for more unskilled players at high lvls!

Anyone notice that the dyes are only 1hour now? It's like they don't want anyone to play the game... being able to customize my outfit was one of the main draws.

Kammie

Get ready for more unskilled players at high lvls!

Anyone notice that the dyes are only 1hour now? It's like they don't want anyone to play the game... being able to customize my outfit was one of the main draws.
I'd read that they removed the dye that lets you pick hues, but now they last one hour, too? lol. So basically they're forcing you into buying dyes from the cash shop then.

I do remember EME saying that they'd give out apothecary dyes with the daily elite gift thing. But if those are freely available on the broker, it's certainly not at prices that any non-60s can afford, especially when you change gear every few days.

Korea is basically killing this game. Did you guys read the changes they're making to Alliance over there? Nobody played it, so their solution was to just allow the top 80 from each alliance to fight one pvp battle for the executor once a week, on Sunday night. lol. I mean what the hell. Still no reward other than some lousy gold you could have farmed doing an hour of Kelsaik, except now you have to bust your ass for one week to be the top 80, else you're locked out of content. And mind you, this is still gonna be the same broken, 10 FPS lagfest. They introduced colored armor for each faction so that you can tell what you're attacking in the lag.

The solution to get more people participating would be simple if this weren't a F2P game: make executor battles give you prizes like "noctenium alk" or "noctenium spellbind." But anything they do can't affect their cash shop income. F2P is really a fucking poison.

The solution to get more people participating would be simple if this weren't a F2P game: make executor battles give you prizes like "noctenium alk" or "noctenium spellbind." But anything they do can't affect their cash shop income. F2P is really a fucking poison.

I thoroughly agree :( I gotta wonder what their revenue breakdown is: how much money they make from cosmetics, and how much money they make from people desperately buying alkahest and spellbind. I know how much money I've put into alkahest and it's fucking depressing.

It's sad that such a great game is dying like this. All it takes is one really bad run of masterworking/enchanting to lose a player who's otherwise played the game for months.

NeOak

TERA was awesome before Queen. After it, everything went downhill since they changed direction and fucked it up.

Kammie

New KTera patch. Bug fix: "Fixed the issue where the stamina heart and cooldown notice did not save their positions." I can't believe this problem is barely being addressed now. lol. Few things bugged me this much in the game.

Actually though, there's one cool feature in a festival that they're running for a month over there. BAMs will be pitted one-on-one in an arena and you can bet on the winner. Here's a pic the patch translator posted on the official forums:

lyRG151.jpg

Rinoa

Can the american version of the game have different rules/focus? Each patch just alienates existing players and decreases relevancy for potential players.

Kammie

Can the american version of the game have different rules/focus? Each patch just alienates existing players and decreases relevancy for potential players.
It used to be tailored for the North American market. But the fact that there's a bunch of different markets/clients meant that Bluehole took forever to get EME any patches, and there was just no way to address any quick fixes (which is why bugs always persisted for months). So they basically streamlined all the clients for faster updates, and we're now stuck with the exact same thing Korea has.

So if there was ever a chance of EME doing their own thing, it's now gone. Either you accept the fact that we're powerless and have to accept the game as it is (as our feedback doesn't matter), or you move on, like I did. The game was just too frustrating because of all this crap.

Rinoa

It used to be tailored for the North American market. But the fact that there's a bunch of different markets/clients meant that Bluehole took forever to get EME any patches, and there was just no way to address any quick fixes (which is why bugs always persisted for months). So they basically streamlined all the clients for faster updates, and we're now stuck with the exact same thing Korea has.

So if there was ever a chance of EME doing their own thing, it's now gone. Either you accept the fact that we're powerless and have to accept the game as it is (as our feedback doesn't matter), or you move on, like I did. The game was just too frustrating because of all this crap.

I haven't logged in for several months, just logged in for the 58 character thing. I guess this means that I have moved on but am still curious.

Seems there's no way to have fun without throwing money at it. I miss being able to farm for what I needed when the game was pay to play.

1233298_10151991458137652_1402811868_o.jpg

never wanted to lvl a lancer though, so slow!

Ichabod

Banned
I logged in today for the hell of it and had fun running through a couple of the new dungeons. Even though my nuking rotation is rusty as hell, the combat is still as engaging as always. One thing that had me scratching my head, though, was that they completely stripped FoK from the game--the only remnant that it ever existed being specialty scrolls to warp to it's entrance. I mean, it was a laggy POS but it was a good instance for dipping one's proverbial toes in the endgame dungeon pool. Strange decision.

On a side note, I could see myself spending more time with TERA if they'd just let me buy a permanent, account-bound atlus scroll for easy access to the world. Compared to FFXIV, globe trotting is much more tedious than it should be.

Kammie

The funny thing is that before they axed it, they completely fixed all the lag issues in FoK. It played great. lol.

No one ever did the dungeon. So instead of upping the difficulty and changing the loot table, they got rid of it. They also got rid of ACHM and BTHM.

Ichabod

Banned
The funny thing is that before they axed it, they completely fixed all the lag issues in FoK. It played great. lol.

No one ever did the dungeon. So instead of upping the difficulty and changing the loot table, they got rid of it. They also got rid of ACHM and BTHM.

mymindisfulloffuck.jpg

I logged in today for the hell of it and had fun running through a couple of the new dungeons. Even though my nuking rotation is rusty as hell, the combat is still as engaging as always. One thing that had me scratching my head, though, was that they completely stripped FoK from the game--the only remnant that it ever existed being specialty scrolls to warp to it's entrance. I mean, it was a laggy POS but it was a good instance for dipping one's proverbial toes in the endgame dungeon pool. Strange decision.

On a side note, I could see myself spending more time with TERA if they'd just let me buy a permanent, account-bound atlus scroll for easy access to the world. Compared to FFXIV, globe trotting is much more tedious than it should be.

Isn't that what the Village Atlus is for? It's given to every character you have after renewing your subscription too.

I'm glad they got rid of ACHM. Nightmare Meldita was pretty stupid.

Ichabod

Banned
Isn't that what the Village Atlus is for? It's given to every character you have after renewing your subscription too.

I'm not a subber, nor do I want to buy a sub just to have an atlus. I want the option for a one-time purchase (real-money) that is bound to my account so all my characters can use it.

thundr51

Just started back again to get my archer to 60 and trying to run GL solo. Currently lvl55 but getting killed by the first boss. What lvl should I be?

Kammie

I'm not a subber, nor do I want to buy a sub just to have an atlus. I want the option for a one-time purchase (real-money) that is bound to my account so all my characters can use it.
That is not going to happen, considering the fact that people pay 15 bucks per month mainly for just the atlas.

What you should do is get a pocket popo, and then buy 100 of each scroll to the dungeons and towns you need to be at. It's like a ghetto atlas, but an inventory full of scrolls is how people used to do it before.

For real? I really don't see how this is an issue really but hey.

There are many advantages to Elite/Club provided you do endgame dungeons. That is why I pay for it. My NA account I just have scrolls or abuse alliance/racial teleports.

TERA was awesome before Queen. After it, everything went downhill since they changed direction and fucked it up.

The problem is that Bluehole never really made the money they needed to keep the game going with new content. I think they made it as far as breaking even on the original production costs, but that's about it. There isn't going to be any more new content most likely as they cannot afford the costs to produce it. Most of the original development team for the game have left the company after finishing the Alliance content. Without a dev team for new content and the money to fund it, instead they come up with ways to string things along by adding new cash shop money sinks.

The game has been on life support for awhile now, but as long as a few dedicated players keep spending money on cosmetics and alkahests it won't get shut down. But there's no future for this game now, which is so sad considering the potential it originally had.

Setsuna

New player here and im enjoying my self

made it to level 34 in 2 days after play testing what seems like hundreds of characters

Rinoa

The problem is that Bluehole never really made the money they needed to keep the game going with new content. I think they made it as far as breaking even on the original production costs, but that's about it. There isn't going to be any more new content most likely as they cannot afford the costs to produce it. Most of the original development team for the game have left the company after finishing the Alliance content. Without a dev team for new content and the money to fund it, instead they come up with ways to string things along by adding new cash shop money sinks.

The game has been on life support for awhile now, but as long as a few dedicated players keep spending money on cosmetics and alkahests it won't get shut down. But there's no future for this game now, which is so sad considering the potential it originally had.

Damn, so there are no developers working on this game anymore in Korea?

Really liking that they gave us nice equipment on the 58 thing.

Kammie

A few months ago they said a new level cap and new continent was going to be introduced eventually. I don't know anything about developers having left, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the interns or janitors working on the content anyhow. :p

They recently described a bit about how their team works. You can read about it here. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

What's certain though is that the game in our market is dying. New content or not, most of the seasoned playerbase has already moved on, and I doubt they'll be coming back. Nothing has been fixed, and even if it is at this point (which I highly doubt), it's a bit late. And the game is being overrun by foreigners who don't speak English anyway. When everyone you know spends over 50% of the time complaining about the experience of playing with these people, you know you have a problem.

NeOak

A few months ago they said a new level cap and new continent was going to be introduced eventually. I don't know anything about developers having left, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the interns or janitors working on the content anyhow. :p

They recently described a bit about how their team works. You can read about it here. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

What's certain though is that the game in our market is dying. New content or not, most of the seasoned playerbase has already moved on, and I doubt they'll be coming back. Nothing has been fixed, and even if it is at this point (which I highly doubt), it's a bit late. And the game is being overrun by foreigners who don't speak English anyway. When everyone you know spends over 50% of the time complaining about the experience of playing with these people, you know you have a problem.

That reminds me, my substitute GM who plays Priest "better" than me is interested in trying out the new dungeons lol

Kammie

That reminds me, my substitute GM who plays Priest "better" than me is interested in trying out the new dungeons lol
As a priest? lol. From what I hear the new content is boring.

EME just nerfed KS credits from Fraywind in an attempt to revitalize 3v3s, but left the KS credits in CS the same. So you get more KS in CS than BG now.

Meanwhile, KTera has just introduced mystic and (what looks like a pretty significant) archer nerfs. lol.

I admit, I enjoy reading the forums to see everyone still complain.

This game is largely dead.

Cannot recommend investing too much time in it personally.

It is a decent game though, at least I enjoyed it many patches ago when there was at least one piece of challenging content.

Top Bottom