• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

popo

Will did a top ten for giantbomb. Could not even be bothered to number it. Can't help think that Ryan would have slaughtered him for that. He ain't no John Carpenter.

what are they even doing for that? what does it get ya in content?

so far, commentary track of movie ai, adam tour bus video, maybe one other I missed.

popo

Last podcast of the year - just got around to listening - was fairly entertaining.

No live shows at CES this year - but videos on the site.

The MAME cabinet is about a decade too late but it being a cocktail and them making the case themselves sounds like it might be interesting.

any of the premium content worth subbing for?

like unprof friday really is the only thing on gb premium these days, but its enough for me to keep the sub. Good treadmill content!

FStop7

Banned
Will did a top ten for giantbomb. Could not even be bothered to number it. Can't help think that Ryan would have slaughtered him for that. He ain't no John Carpenter.

I'm more surprised he didn't number them in Esperanto or binary or something.

eznark

Banned
Last podcast of the year - just got around to listening - was fairly entertaining.

No live shows at CES this year - but videos on the site.

The MAME cabinet is about a decade too late but it being a cocktail and them making the case themselves sounds like it might be interesting.

Oh shit they are finally doing it!?

popo

To play DA, short edited videos fit a lot better with their growing youtube audience. I don't think Adam is even going to CES so it will be interesting to see how much traffic that stuff gets.

To play DA, short edited videos fit a lot better with their growing youtube audience. I don't think Adam is even going to CES so it will be interesting to see how much traffic that stuff gets.

well the issue is short edited videos has wayyy to much competition. I felt like the reason GB stood out was because of their long form 'unedited' videos.

And it might just be me but my favorite tested stuff are videos over 10min long. Been really digging talking room these days.

popo

well the issue is short edited videos has wayyy to much competition. I felt like the reason GB stood out was because of their long form 'unedited' videos.

And it might just be me but my favorite tested stuff are videos over 10min long. Been really digging talking room these days.

No money in live streams or long form though. Now that they have a subscription option then they can maybe turn those feature viewers in to subbers but in the short term they will make more from growing their youtube base.

Zaph

Really enjoys their old CES night shows - especially with Gary on the sofa not giving a fuck about CES instead talking about his gambling and restaurant experiences.

Shame.

Megasoum

Banned
So new Premium video on the site... It's the Michael Bay "breakdown video". What an amazing piece of premium content! A clip already available everywhere on the web about yesterday's news!

No podcasts/live shows and terrible premium content... yeahI think I'm done for good with the site. A couple more months like that and they'll end up at Screened level.

popo

Also the day's wrap up with Ars writers is premium. Nice of those guys to donate their time. I wonder if they realise that ten's of people will be able to hear their thoughts?

Zaph

So new Premium video on the site... It's the Michael Bay "breakdown video". What an amazing piece of premium content! A clip already available everywhere on the web about yesterday's news!

No podcasts/live shows and terrible premium content... yeahI think I'm done for good with the site. A couple more months like that and they'll end up at Screened level.
I don't think it's the meltdown video, looks like casual commentary/reaction to the day's news.

But yeah, kinda unfortunate they've put old style CES content (casual recaps) behind a paywall. The interview and hands-on vid aren't great because neither Will or Norm are naturals at impromptu interviews.

Then again, their (Youtube) audience seems bigger than ever, so more power to em. Shame it meant going prop/maker/Adam crazy, I really prefer the Modernist Cuisine and nuclear reactor stuff. You can really tell when Will has natural enthusiasm and knowledge about a subject (like cooking).

Megasoum

Banned
I don't think it's the meltdown video, looks like casual commentary/reaction to the day's news.

But yeah, kinda unfortunate they've put old style CES content (casual recaps) behind a paywall. The interview and hands-on vid aren't great because neither Will or Norm are naturals at impromptu interviews.

Then again, their (Youtube) audience seems bigger than ever, so more power to em. Shame it meant going prop/maker/Adam crazy, I really prefer the Modernist Cuisine and nuclear reactor stuff. You can really tell when Will has natural enthusiasm and knowledge about a subject (like cooking).

That's the video's description.

After press conference day at CES, Will and Norm hang out with the team from ArsTechnica to recollect the weirdest moments from the day. Bending televisions and smart appliances make the cut, but we all just want to talk about Michael Bay's incredible CES performance. Of which we have video. That you should watch. Right now.

Oxirane

If they are so down on the current state of CES, the Tested guys could use CES as an opportunity to do the yearly prediction show (with eggs and stuff) with jounos from other tech outlets.

That way they don't have to harp on about too much stuff at the show, they can get insight from other outlets, and they have content which they can continue into next year.

Alternatively they could organize a big game of SpaceRocks, pitting Tested vs Ars, Vox, Engadget etc.

Ominym

Banned
What a bummer. I came in here hoping to get times for live shows seeing as how they weren't listed on the site. And no live shows this year?

Sigh. I understand that their internet wasn't up to par, but that's a pretty sad thing to hear.

Megasoum

Banned
Now that they've started putting stuff that used to be free behind a paywall (the CES Buildoff video) I bet the next dad podcast will be a premium thing too.

eznark

Banned
Now that they've started putting stuff that used to be free behind a paywall (the CES Buildoff video) I bet the next dad podcast will be a premium thing too.

Oh wow, didn't know they'd be putting basic live shot videos behind a pay Wall. RIP tested (for me) I guess.

Zaph

I cracked up at this Whitta tweet thinking what perfect podcast fodder it would have been...

2A9TcG7.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh wow, didn't know they'd be putting basic live shot videos behind a pay Wall. RIP tested (for me) I guess.

I'll just do what terrible people do on Giantbomb: When there's enough content, sign up for a month of Premium and watch (actually, download) it all at once.

Has anyone else subscribed to Tested? It seems fine so far, the CES videos were a nice return to the more casual stuff they did at Whiskey Media. I'm fine with paying for more videos like that, stuff that wouldn't really appeal to the Youtube audience.

Having two weeks of videos about Adam and Jamie's tour buses wasn't the best kickoff though.

how are the premium videos, are they the modern tested length or good meaty content?

are they accessible from mobile, or youtube or what not?

how does premium videos even work on youtube?

how are the premium videos, are they the modern tested length or good meaty content?

are they accessible from mobile, or youtube or what not?

how does premium videos even work on youtube?

It's a whole new video player. It's worked great for me, but a lot of people in the comments have been having problems with it (I have really good internet so that might be the difference.)

Content-wise it's been hit-or-miss. They did a full commentary for AI with Adam, which was pretty cool. But then Will left for like the entire month of December and there wasn't much aside from two videos about tour buses.

The CES premium stuff has been really good. They did a basically unedited video of the Computer building competition and then some random opinions wrap-up stuff. The videos aren't that long, but it's a more casual Tested as opposed to how they act on the Youtube videos.

There's definite potential, especially coming out of CES, but I can't really recommend paying for the membership just yet. Maybe when they start doing livestreams and stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... Another nail in the Tested coffin.

http://www.tested.com/tech/459732-brief-fond-farewell-testeds-wes-fenlon/

In Brief: A Fond Farewell to Tested's Wes Fenlon
BY NORMAN CHAN ON JAN. 13, 2014 AT 3 P.M.
After three years of writing for Tested, our feature writer and ace reporter moves on to a new opportunity.

If you're a regular reader of Tested, you know that our site is a lot more than just the four blockheads you see at the top of the homepage logo. We have a great family of writers who contribute features, guides, and analysis about science, tech, and all the cool things we're curious about. Tested is comprised as much (if not more) by those writers whose bylines appear on the site as it is by the goofy faces you see in our videos. And the name you've likely seen most on the Tested front page is Wesley Fenlon, our news and features writer who's been with us for over three years. Since August of 2010, Wes has written over 2,300 stories on Tested--by far the most bylines of anyone on this team (and more than double what I've written). He's been with us to report on numerous CES and Maker Faire events, and researched some really awesome features. You might have read his piece on futurist science fiction or early 90s VHS board games. You may also have heard him on our podcast as a reliable third chair. And there's no forgetting my favorite story we've ever published. But it's with both regret and a sense of pride that I announce that Wes is leaving Tested, having started today in a new position as a full-time Editor at PC Gamer magazine. It's a great new opportunity that's long overdue; his new family is lucky to have his talents. But to commemorate all the wonderful work that Wes has done for us, I'm going to resurface some of Wes' best stories on the site this week. Stories to give new readers a sense of Wes' tireless contributions and to remind longtime readers of how fortunate we were to have him. Congratulations buddy, we'll miss your words around here.

Grats on the new job Wes!

Top Bottom