• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dave on latest podcast.

Wonder if you can add a single file to Downcast?

You can! Search for the podcast, view the episodes, tap the one you want and select the download option.

Aaron

Last week's was nearly a perfect cast. Will and Norm were energetic and funny, Jeremy was a solid supporting player, and then they had to talk about videogames... sigh. They really shouldn't do that, even if someone asks a question about it.

jediyoshi

Last week's was nearly a perfect cast. Will and Norm were energetic and funny, Jeremy was a solid supporting player, and then they had to talk about videogames... sigh. They really shouldn't do that, even if someone asks a question about it.

Yeah that was rough. More accuracy? Motion controls are almost always just relegated down to pointers and turning actions into simple gestures. Between the hydra, motion plus, and move controller, lack of interesting applications isn't exactly due to lack of fidelity.

Zaph

And now PC builds are behind the paywall.

Really going for the 'Want the old Tested? Pay us' approach.

Dadcasts will be next.

And now PC builds are behind the paywall.

Really going for the 'Want the old Tested? Pay us' approach.

Dadcasts will be next.

Well first of all i want to make one thing clear. None of the stuff that we do right now, the stuff you love: the maker profiles, the product testing, the podcast, the one day builds, all that stays on the site free for everyone

Hmm. Okay.

eznark

Banned
On my phone so copying is a bitch but Will just responded that they aren't considering this a build and seemed to say that builds will not be pay walled, at least not always.

Zaph

I can't tell if Will is being sarcastic or not with that "subtle distinction" tweet.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the quote cuevas pulled ('None of the stuff that we do right now...') was referring to post-buyout content like the one day model builds etc.

I can't imagine they get a lot of subs from their new, casual Mythbusters/Youtube audience as all reports seem to indicate the similar Youtube Paid Channel stuff is a complete failure. That audience does not want to pay for shit.

So it probably makes financial sense to pay wall content similar to what old WM viewers enjoyed, just feels cynical.

eznark

Banned
I'd pay money for old tested content if they committed to it on a daily basis but it's pretty clear they have bigger fish to fry which is fine, hopefully it's all working out as well as they had hoped.

popo

If you want to see it then I don't see the problem with paying them for making it. I just don't want to see any of the new stuff.

popo

I think the perfect piece of Premium content would be Adam boning Will, bent over the makerbot, with Norm showering them with lego bricks as he takes photos of them using a very expensive camera. TESTED!

Is Dave working in the tested office or something?

yup, all the engineers (the ex top men anyway) quit BB so they got a lot of space to rent.

Zaph

Crossposting from GB: Screened is shutting down in March. Surprised BermanBraun didn't even attempt to make something of it.

I've noticed Tested hasn't done any location shooting in a while (apart from CES), which is a shame because those features (Modernist, NASA, helicopter guy etc) and Wes' articles were my favourite parts of the site. I wonder if BB are just cutting budgets on all their sites now?

popo

Not surprised. That site was Rory and Alex (mainly Rory) get rid of them and why would I even bother reading Nameless Movie Critic #1000.

and if you didn't know Alex and Rorie from GB/Gamespot, why would you have bothered reading Screened at all. Hence why another movie site without the funding behind it was never going to make waves.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where has Gary gone off to? He's just disappeared completely from the podcast and he even vanished off GAF (seems like the last posts he made were when the new systems launched). Definitely miss him.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Where has Gary gone off to? He's just disappeared completely from the podcast and he even vanished off GAF (seems like the last posts he made were when the new systems launched). Definitely miss him.

Will talks about it on this episode, but apparently he has gone AWOL from everything ever since beginning his novel.

popo

I think he began his novel years ago but it looks like he has finally decided to get it in a publishable state. Not a big fan of either of Gary's films but I would give it a read. I wonder if it will get a full marketing push or be an ebook self publish (or I guess there are stages in between).

Blastoise

Banned
More slow motion stuff. Come on Tested its already been done to death on YouTube, and that stuff is a lot better.

It just seems like their content is getting lazier. Hopefully they are just in a lull.

Zaph

More slow motion stuff. Come on Tested its already been done to death on YouTube, and that stuff is a lot better.

It just seems like their content is getting lazier. Hopefully they are just in a lull.
Definitely does. As I mentioned above, what happened to all their location shoots? Everything seems to now be either in the office or Adam's workshop.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

They are constantly recognizing the fact that slow motion stuff has been done to death too, and saying that they aren't slow motion guys.

I want videos of them talking about tech stuff. I want quick looks of tech stuff. I want Apps of the Week videos, Will doing iOS stuff and Norm doing Android stuff.

They are constantly recognizing the fact that slow motion stuff has been done to death too, and saying that they aren't slow motion guys.

I want videos of them talking about tech stuff. I want quick looks of tech stuff. I want Apps of the Week videos, Will doing iOS stuff and Norm doing Android stuff.

Yeah, pretty much. I love me some slow-mo stuff, but it just didn't look as good as the countless other videos on the same website. I think they're having trouble figuring out what to do when they aren't doing location shoots all the time like last year.

popo

Congrats to Will and his kid on their awards. Gary missed out on the top award, better luck next time.

Big budget sci-fi flop "After Earth" and ensemble comedy "Movie 43" led the Razzie Awards on Saturday while annual favorite Adam Sandler went home empty-handed at the ceremony that mauled Hollywood's worst films and performances of the year.
"After Earth," starring Will Smith and his teenage son Jaden, picked up three gold spray-painted raspberry accolades: Jaden Smith for worst actor, Will Smith for worst supporting actor and worst screen combo for the father-son stars.

The $130 million film, co-written by Will Smith and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, was a major flop for Sony Corp's Columbia Pictures last year, grossing just $60 million at the U.S. and Canadian box office.

FStop7

Banned
Giving Gary shit about After Earth is good fun but that's kind of mean. In seriousness, it kind of sounds like After Earth didn't go the way Gary wanted. But he'll probably never dish dirt on what happened because he's a professional.

popo

oh boo hoo, I am sure he can take a gentle ribbing. He gives it out plenty. :-O I just hope he got paid up front
I am sure he made out just fine on the deal

pronk420

oh wow theres a load of podcasts with dave.

there should be an easier way to look at the episodes of this is only a test rather than the jamie and adam still untilted podcast. at the moment its like 3 or 4 clicks to find the list of all the episodes of the proper podcast.

Zaph

I use their Youtube channel to scope the podcast to see who's on. Thumbnail should immediately let you know.

Dave's great on it, really wish he'd drop by Giant Bomb more often. I mean, raising a kid and starting a new business? What's that about? He needs to get his priorities straight.

Thomper

It's a good thing Dave's been on the podcast lately, because he improves everything. Is there anyone else who gets... frustrated by it otherwise, though?

There's still good weeks, and it's more interesting to listen to than most podcasts. However, it seems more and more they don't bother to be actually interested in the tech they discuss. When they discussed Mobile World Congress last week they mentioned the Galaxy S5 for a few minutes and discussed the other phones quickly, and then moved on within like 10 minutes. Now, I get they weren't at the event and aren't usually *that* interested in Samsung's phones. But... come on. The S5 will probably be the second-biggest selling phone of the year, and I kind of wanted to hear at least some informed talk from them on it.

When they discuss the new iPhone, it's usually very in-depth. But all of the major Android-announcements were showed into 15 minutes. I'm not accusing them of fanboyism; I really like their in-depth discussions of the iPhone, and I wished they'd do it for other big announcements too. Really liked Norm's HTC One experiences too. But lately it seems like they barely read up on announcements before they get on the podcast.

It's a good thing Dave's been on the podcast lately, because he improves everything. Is there anyone else who gets... frustrated by it otherwise, though?

There's still good weeks, and it's more interesting to listen to than most podcasts. However, it seems more and more they don't bother to be actually interested in the tech they discuss. When they discussed Mobile World Congress last week they mentioned the Galaxy S5 for a few minutes and discussed the other phones quickly, and then moved on within like 10 minutes. Now, I get they weren't at the event and aren't usually *that* interested in Samsung's phones. But... come on. The S5 will probably be the second-biggest selling phone of the year, and I kind of wanted to hear at least some informed talk from them on it.

When they discuss the new iPhone, it's usually very in-depth. But all of the major Android-announcements were showed into 15 minutes. I'm not accusing them of fanboyism; I really like their in-depth discussions of the iPhone, and I wished they'd do it for other big announcements too. Really liked Norm's HTC One experiences too. But lately it seems like they barely read up on announcements before they get on the podcast.

Yeah, that's definitely always been a problem with Tested. They aren't great with faking interest for something they obviously don't care about.

Top Bottom