• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Chuck

Still without luck
I guess they forgot about the podcast again...

at least they have aisha tyler talkin' nerd fest on the site!

rip tested

They need to talk about Whitta deleting 4 year old posts on gaf.

you know that's not gonna happen

Angst

I don't listen anymore, but will definitely be participating in the next open topic google doc. They need to talk about Whitta deleting 4 year old posts on gaf.

What?

Maybe it's part of his contract with Disney? Anything remotely offending has to go away or Disney sues him for a billion dollar...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's probably because "Gary Whitta Star Wars" searches lead to his posts, and the PR nightmare of having the writer slam Star Wars is worse than whatever GAF would do to him.

LiK

Yea, I understand that but I dunno how anyone knows how anyone deletes anything from 4 years ago. Do they get some alert?

eznark

Banned
Yea, I understand that but I dunno how anyone knows how anyone deletes anything from 4 years ago. Do they get some alert?

Probably wanted to post some of Whitta's rants from that thread (if you remember, he was ludicrously vocal about boycotting the BR releases) as a sort of "gotcha"

WillyFive

This is a big place. After new Star Wars news, especially ones involving a Gaffer, it's logical to go back to pay threads to reminisce. In that case, someone found that Gary's posts had been edited recently, since edits leave behind a timestamp.

Aghhhhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Aghhhhhhhhhhh.

0xQgjho.jpg

Wow at 1%'er Will saying you should pay $20 a month to get faster cable company customer service. Of course there's no Gary there to bring him back down to Earth. This podcast is absolutely horrific since he left. Another gem: "How many music streaming services do you subscribe to?" rather than WHICH service do you subscribe to. WTF am I even listening to?

eznark

Banned
Wow at 1%'er Will saying you should pay $20 a month to get faster cable company customer service. Of course there's no Gary there to bring him back down to Earth. This podcast is absolutely horrific since he left. Another gem: "How many music streaming services do you subscribe to?" rather than WHICH service do you subscribe to. WTF am I even listening to?

Being Adam's sycophant pays the bills, yo

popo

Will isn't a one percenter, not given how much he moaned about that tree of his, but he does seem to spend a large proportion of his income on tech and services to keep up with "hollywood" Gary and "trust fund" Norm. Unless he manages to expense a lot of that stuff.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man you guys are depressing. Not a bad ep, but I do miss Gary.

FStop7

Banned

When the $400 sous-vide machines were championed is when Tested lost me.

that stuff is still neat though. There's lots of tech I can't afford but is interesting to hear about.
What rubs me the wrong way is how they talk about it. A home sous-vide machine is probably the most extravagant bullshit you can buy for your kitchen. But these guys talk about it like it's the next pot or pan.

eznark

Banned
Wait why? Its way less expensive than tons of kitchen appliances like mixers and shit. Its barely more than the Cuisinart grill/griddle I just got. Plus its awesome.

popo

Totally, my sister in law recently paid £400 for one of these stupid KitchenAid mixers. There are tons of more extravagant kitchen purchases. Her cakes are still awful too.

Those kitchen aid mixers are expensive, but you can make the argument that a kitchen aid mixer is a more useful tool than something that make fancy boiled steaks.

I use my Anova circulator about 5 times for every one time I use my Kitchen Aid. It really is all relative, but people who are really into cooking and spend $150 on a chef's knife, All Clad frying pan or $600 on a Vitamix blender aren't really that different from people who buy $2000 plasma TVs and own all 3 next-gen consoles. I personally miss all the articles on kitchen stuff, coffee grinders, etc. I bought a Clever Brewer a couple months ago based on a Tested video from a couple years ago. I am torn on the new direction of the site. Will (and to some extent Norm) do seem pretty excited about the whole "maker" thing, but that's not why I started going to the site and listening to the Podcast. I can't fault them for covering what they like, but I'm not sure how much longer I will continue to frequent the site. I am down to reading an article every 1 or 2 weeks, which compared to my 1 a day is not looking good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I originally got into the site because of the personalities first and foremost, but also their contest, which was them testing out cool stuff and making videos doing just that. I learned about quite a few things from the Whiskey Media Tested era. I know they have new masters now, but I still can't really get behind this science and maker-this-maker-that-3D-printing! direction they've taken.

I still catch the podcast every once in a while, but it's definitely fallen from the must listen status it once was. Still make sure to catch and episodes with Gary or Loyd Case, though.

numble

This maker stuff is an extremely niche thing right? I don't even see much GAF discussion of the stuff, and GAF is full of niche nerdy communities. Or is the barrier to entry really high and limited to the sous vide bourgeois?

eznark

Banned
Those kitchen aid mixers are expensive, but you can make the argument that a kitchen aid mixer is a more useful tool than something that make fancy boiled steaks.

Then you do a fuckload more baking than I do. I cook every single day (so every single day is an opportunity to use the sansaire) while I bake... well I never bake but my wife bakes maybe twice a month.

The sansaire will get used way way more often than our fancy kitchen aid mixer.

FStop7

Banned
This maker stuff is an extremely niche thing right? I don't even see much GAF discussion of the stuff, and GAF is full of niche nerdy communities. Or is the barrier to entry really high and limited to the sous vide bourgeois?

It's another one of those in the Bay Area bubble things.

Will and Norm are the only two human beings on this planet I've ever heard actually talk about maker-stuff. Of course they also recently talked about how Americans are just about ready to ditch traditional car ownership.

eznark

Banned
Will and Norm are the only two human beings on this planet I've ever heard actually talk about maker-stuff. Of course they also recently talked about how Americans are just about ready to ditch traditional car ownership.

haha god damn I need to start listening to this again

Forsete

Gold Member
Youtubers are really thrashing Wills woodworking skills. Apparantly on Youtube everyone is an expert and never forgets about safety. :p

rbanke

Youtubers are really thrashing Wills woodworking skills. Apparantly on Youtube everyone is an expert and never forgets about safety. :p

Kinda with good reason. It's borderline irresponsible to do much of what he was doing when you have a fanbase that might think you are doing things the proper way. Some of what Will was doing in that video was extremely dangerous. It isn't without reason to think that someone might watch a video like that and think 'i can do that' and really hurt themselves. Aside from that Will might really hurt himself and should take some sort of class to get familiar with the tools he's using.

Forsete

Gold Member
Kinda with good reason. It's borderline irresponsible to do much of what he was doing when you have a fanbase that might think you are doing things the proper way. Some of what Will was doing in that video was extremely dangerous. It isn't without reason to think that someone might watch a video like that and think 'i can do that' and really hurt themselves. Aside from that Will might really hurt himself and should take some sort of class to get familiar with the tools he's using.

Well I agree. I am a metal worker, and I would never use machinery unless someone has tough me how to use them. Mostly because I don't want to break anything, and second I don't want to get killed. ;)
Even after 8 years lathes still scare the crap out of me. :p

Which video are we talking about and what was he doing wrong?

These two.

Building a Custom Headphone Hook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBD_CPyqq0

Building a Custom Computer Desk, Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFN5Hegzz0

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I actually found a cool makeshift headphone stand, you just get one of those padded garage wall hooks and sit it upright. It's weird how hard it is to buy stands anywhere, making us build our own, ha.

PaulLFC

How is Tested Premium currently? I was looking around the site to see if it may be worth subscribing, but it seems the last Premium-only content was over a month ago, and I can't see what will be available for Premium members as the "state of the union" video which supposedly outlines the revised member benefits is restricted. (That I found strange, surely it would make sense to show the benefits of subscription to potential subscribers?)

Top Bottom