• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

eznark

Banned
Honest, if you're after your Dave fill, Jeff's drive time mixlr's are a way better source.

Yeah I listen to those when I can, which is rare. I liked his two months late anecdote about the xbox stock yesterday. Jeff's "yeah no shit" reaction was funny.

Zaph

Yeah I listen to those when I can, which is rare. I liked his two months late anecdote about the xbox stock yesterday. Jeff's "yeah no shit" reaction was funny.
Was pretty funny, I miss that 'everyman' personality from the WM days (although Rorie has kinda taken up the mantle) where they'd talk to Dave or one of the other top men who would approach the subject from a Joe Public attitude. Cool way of adding some perspective.

The chat about Ryan at the end completely floored me though. Still not used to hearing his name casually mentioned.

Was pretty funny, I miss that 'everyman' personality from the WM days (although Rorie has kinda taken up the mantle) where they'd talk to Dave or one of the other top men who would approach the subject from a Joe Public attitude. Cool way of adding some perspective.

The chat about Ryan at the end completely floored me though. Still not used to hearing his name casually mentioned.

Was this last night? Thought I listened to the whole stream but didn't catch this

Zaph

Was this last night? Thought I listened to the whole stream but didn't catch this
Yeah, the return stream. Might have missed it because the audio kept dropping. Towards the end they were discussing Ryan's fondness for coconut water.

Really miss that mother fucker.

pronk420

Honest, if you're after your Dave fill, Jeff's drive time mixlr's are a way better source.

does Jeff drives with Dave every day? I thought Dave quit to work at home or something

and whats happened to Garry? gaf seems to have taken after earth as a malicious act, as if he made it bad on porpoise and has turned on him, its bizarre. hopefully at some point he can make enough money to just retire and hang out at whalecock and podcast with the testeds for fun.

eznark

Banned
does Jeff drives with Dave every day? I thought Dave quit to work at home or something

and whats happened to Garry? gaf seems to have taken after earth as a malicious act, as if he made it bad on porpoise and has turned on him, its bizarre. hopefully at some point he can make enough money to just retire and hang out at whalecock and podcast with the testeds for fun.

He started getting a hell of a lot more regular work, it sounds like.

popo

He started getting a hell of a lot more regular work, it sounds like.

I think Dave works a few days a week at the Tested office. His project is going in to Alpha so he likely can no longer productively do it all from home.

Sounds like Gary has locked himself away to finish his book and a script treatment he is working on. Sometimes you have to concentrate on the day job.

Zaph

Jeff broadcasts most days, but iirc Dave is only Monday to Wednesday.

The Gary thing is strange. Part of his shtick on the podcast was being overly judgemental and critical about things, and it's pretty damn funny. That attitude was probably aided by having two successful projects under his belt. When After Earth happened, I think GAF went a little HAM with the criticism thinking Gary is the type of person who enjoys dishing it out, so should be able to take it.

eznark

Banned
so should be able to take it.

"gaf" should've known better considering he blocked anyone who said even slightly critical things about Eli.

I always thought he handled the whole After Earth thing totally wrong. They basically ignored it on the podcast and it became this huge elephant in the room. Should've just owned it, like his hero Larry David does with Sour Grapes.

Zaph

"gaf" should've known better considering he blocked anyone who said even slightly critical things about Eli.

I always thought he handled the whole After Earth thing totally wrong. They basically ignored it on the podcast and it became this huge elephant in the room. Should've just owned it, like his hero Larry David does with Sour Grapes.
Yeah, it would have been cool to see him be a bit more candid about the whole thing, but at the same time he is still new to Hollywood and probably has to tread carefully with that type of stuff - you can't really compare him to an industry vet like David who can say and do practically whatever the fuck he wants.

Either way the whole thing seemed to have taken the wind out of him, as he was nowhere near as lively on the few podcasts he has been on post-AE.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
gaf seems to have taken after earth as a malicious act, as if he made it bad on porpoise and has turned on him
0014222d98500fa4435856.jpg

Sorry, I love a good animal pun.

I think Walking Dead and Eli proved Gary is a really good writer. After Earth was just a misstep and I hope it hasn't affected his career or that he's beating himself up about it

I think Walking Dead and Eli proved Gary is a really good writer. After Earth was just a misstep and I hope it hasn't affected his career or that he's beating himself up about it

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Will Smith (not the Tested one) got to do uncredited rewrites on Gary's script, and Gary is really salty about it, but he can't talk about it for obvious career reasons.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Will Smith (not the Tested one) got to do uncredited rewrites on Gary's script, and Gary is really salty about it, but he can't talk about it for obvious career reasons.
That's the rumor. It also could have been M. Night as well. He wrote all his previous films and it was surprising (to me at least)when he was directing a movie he didn't write. He probably couldn't keep his hands off the script.

popo

That's the rumor. It also could have been M. Night as well. He wrote all his previous films and it was surprising (to me at least)when he was directing a movie he didn't write. He probably couldn't keep his hands off the script.

M Night had a co-writer credit so I am sure he was all over it.

Also, a writer director who hasn't had a hit for over a decade made an underperforming film? Shocker. It will have done a screenwriter like Gary no harm to do the job - if only for the contacts he will have made. No idea how Night keeps getting money to make films though, tax write off?

Zaph

His films make money, a lot of money. Even that airbender film he did made bank.

Pretty sure AE was only his first or second flop.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think Gary's doing great regarding AE...he got to work with actual Will Smith, got to write something relatively big-budget, probably got a great education on making a big movie and made good contacts, and any backlash to the movie was pretty much directed towards M Night and Will (since they rewrote the script that sounds reasonable, too).

Gary back this week. Sheds a tiny bit of light on AE and his book. The Gary/Norm/Will shows really do have a flow that has been missing of late. It was nice to see.

Plus 20 minutes of fake out takes!

I'm so sick of Rift talk. They talk about it like it's some life changing technology when all I see is when 3D was unveiled for the first time. Maybe it's just me not seeing the full potential but it totally seems like a hobbyist's technology to me. While the Facebook acquisition does seem like it might try to break free from that, it's still a $300 accessory.

mattiewheels

Does anyone have a link to the what they were talking about regarding that lady who used Will's photo, something about Gawker/Mtgox I think? Not the photo-swiping but just that story in general...

Heel

If anyone's interested, they posted a state of the union for premium members.

Even though I don't follow them as much as I used too, it's good to see that they are doing well. The way they are handling "paid for by premium members" videos seems like a smart way to spend the money with a small site.

"We're here to answer your questions and tell you what we've got planned for Premium Memberships. If you're a Premium Member, you'll definitely want to check this out."

Isn't this something you'd want non-members to know too?

Zaph

If anyone's interested, they posted a state of the union for premium members.

Even though I don't follow them as much as I used too, it's good to see that they are doing well. The way they are handling "paid for by premium members" videos seems like a smart way to spend the money with a small site.

I don't follow their stuff anymore because I'm not as interested in their new subject matter, but what are the upcoming changes mentioned in the comments? Their recent premium videos seem pretty dire, I'm guessing it addresses that?

I don't follow their stuff anymore because I'm not as interested in their new subject matter, but what are the upcoming changes mentioned in the comments? Their recent premium videos seem pretty dire, I'm guessing it addresses that?

Basically they're going to do another Bricked and more premium livestreams, while using the money from their premium membership base (roughly 1,500 apparently, which seems like a lot) to fund new video series for everyone (with a "paid for by premium members" bumper) and hire more camera people.

rbanke

I still listen to the podcast most of the time, though the recent addition of Jeremy Williams as a regular has turned me off. He's ok but I just find the podcast super uninteresting when he's on. But yea, the subject matter has steadily been less and less for me for a while now. I don't care about quad copters, cameras, the 'maker movement', or cosplay at all and that seems to be the vast majority of what they are into. I keep looking at the premium videos and almost all of them are things I wouldn't even watch if it wasn't premium. Bums me out a bit because I really was into Tested and wish Will & Norm the best, but over all I feel like the Jamie & Adam phase of Tested.com is for the worse.

jyoung188

I still listen to the podcast most of the time, though the recent addition of Jeremy Williams as a regular has turned me off. He's ok but I just find the podcast super uninteresting when he's on. But yea, the subject matter has steadily been less and less for me for a while now. I don't care about quad copters, cameras, the 'maker movement', or cosplay at all and that seems to be the vast majority of what they are into. I keep looking at the premium videos and almost all of them are things I wouldn't even watch if it wasn't premium. Bums me out a bit because I really was into Tested and wish Will & Norm the best, but over all I feel like the Jamie & Adam phase of Tested.com is for the worse.

I agree completely. It's really sad, Tested used to be one of my favorite podcasts. Ever since Jamie & Adam's Tested I never visit the site any more, the content doesn't interest me 90% of the time, and I find my self fast forwarding through the podcast and skipping entire shows.

LiK

Tested podcast is still great. I don't get the Jeremy hate. He's been really good and I liked that he's been disagreeing with them more about certain topics. I think he's a lot more comfortable now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tested podcast is still great. I don't get the Jeremy hate. He's been really good and I liked that he's been disagreeing with them more about certain topics. I think he's a lot more comfortable now.

Jeremy is fine, but when it was just him and Norm, they just could 't carry it on their own. The trio are good together though.

Blastoise

Banned
The latest podcast with Lloyd started great. Talking about chipsets and architecture. Then when it started getting interesting, Will just said lets move on.

Now they're fumbling through gaming news...

rbanke

The latest podcast with Lloyd started great. Talking about chipsets and architecture. Then when it started getting interesting, Will just said lets move on.

Now they're fumbling through gaming news...

I haven't listened to it yet, but that's a bummer. Loyd & Gary are my two favorite guests on the podcast, I always find Loyd's take on technology interesting and you saying that got cut short is right in line with my previously posted disappointment with he podcast. Technology feels like such a low priority for them now.

eznark

Banned
I don't listen anymore, but will definitely be participating in the next open topic google doc. They need to talk about Whitta deleting 4 year old posts on gaf.

Top Bottom