• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-The Expendables- (Stallone, Jet Li, Statham AND Lundgren)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this yesterday night. It was everything I expected. 'Loved the scene with Stallone, Arnie and Willis. Awesome lines in that one :lol

Please green light a sequel!

Looking forward to Machete now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was surprised at how often the dialogue had me chuckle.

Decado

Space A Cobra said:
Still, I wouldn't mind a re-edit version like Stallone just did with Rambo IV.
How is it? Impressions are mixed and I can't figure out what version to buy since the bastards didn't include both versions in latest release :\

Marvie_3

Banned
Decado said:
How is it? Impressions are mixed and I can't figure out what version to buy since the bastards didn't include both versions in latest release :\
I'd like to know this too. I have the original already and I've heard the re-edit adds a bit more to the story but cuts some of the violence.

Just got back from seeing this a second time. The more poorly edited action scenes were easier to follow this time, I think because I had seem them before. Daniels vs. Li and Statham is still my favorite part of the movie. Going to see it at least one more time before it leaves theaters.

Decado said:

Buy both of them. They are dirt cheap and each have their own special features so owning them both is sort of like having a 2 disc set. At least that's what I did.

Marvie_3 said:
I'd like to know this too. I have the original already and I've heard the re-edit adds a bit more to the story but cuts some of the violence.

The only violence that was cut were some of the bad effects shots. And they weren't cut out completely, the shots just don't linger as long now. The story bits added back in help the movie, I think.

bionic77 said:
If they make a sequel they should make the Rock the villain. That would be the greatest movie (not action movie) of all time.

I had this EXACT same idea. Would be awesome.

Just got back from it! It was labeled macho monday at the cinema, with 95% guys... I loved how everyone loved at the senseless violence. Everytime somebody got chopped up in half, everyone clapped and cheered! Had there been more women, people would not be so open about laughing at the over-the-top brutality!

I had a lot fun with this movie! It was a good time! The scene in the church was just... I thought they spoiled it all inb the trailer, but damn:lol

Actually I was thinking on it today and they should get Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo back together for the evil team in the sequel!

Also, how about when we're not seeing the Expendables being bad ass, instead of goofy filler story, we get the evil team side of the story being EVIL BADASSES?! NON STOP MAN-SERVICE!!!! :O :O :O

Vigilant Walrus said:
Just got back from it! It was labeled macho monday at the cinema, with 95% guys... I loved how everyone loved at the senseless violence. Everytime somebody got chopped up in half, everyone clapped and cheered! Had there been more women, people would not be so open about laughing at the over-the-top brutality!

I had a lot fun with this movie! It was a good time! The scene in the church was just... I thought they spoiled it all inb the trailer, but damn:lol
:D moar satisfied customers.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Basically... it was terrible and a complete waste of potential, but still totally awesome. It was just so fucking cool seeing all these stars up on the screen going at it.

Road

The movie was great. Everything I expected it to be. If you didn't like it, I say it's time you start looking on Ebay for "sense of humor".

It wasn't perfect only for the fact it was too long.

I think sequel might ruin everything accomplished here.

nemesun

Just saw the Expendables. Fucking A, had so much fun watching this; truly a blast from the past.
There is nothing spoilerific in there but just in case:
+Statham as Le Christmas was the highlight of the movie for me.
+Sly did a nice job as a director and he was decent also.
+Jet Li was tremendously likable and some of the move he pulled was amazing.
+Arnie and Bruce cameo had me rollin.
+Good chemistry between the actors.

-Giselle Itié can't act for shit.
-Steve Austin pulling WWF level of acting
-Eric Roberts was pulling Boston tough guy act in the middle of jungle

4/5

Aselith

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I figured Stallone would be the big badass/ main storyline but really I felt the movie had a lot more development for Statham's character than Stallone's. Plus, Statham had all the really badass moves with the pistol + knife bits. I am REALLY, REALLY glad that Randy Couture was under used in this movie. That guy is one bad actor holy shit.

Everyone had their moments action-wise though. Very impressive if jerky fight scenes. Did Paul Greengrass direct this one?

nemesun

Aselith said:
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I figured Stallone would be the big badass/ main storyline but really I felt the movie had a lot more development for Statham's character than Stallone's. Plus, Statham had all the really badass moves with the pistol + knife bits. I am REALLY, REALLY glad that Randy Couture was under used in this movie. That guy is one bad actor holy shit.

Everyone had their moments action-wise though. Very impressive if jerky fight scenes. Did Paul Greengrass direct this one?
:lol It was nowhere near close to Greengrass level of shakiness. I could actually see what the fuck was going on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nemesun said:
:lol It was nowhere near close to Greengrass level of shakiness. I could actually see what the fuck was going on.

Wow, really? Maybe I was too close because I couldn't follow this mess of a movie at all. I can't tell what was worse, the Jet Li fight scene or the ending.

I loved how they had all those short jokes about Jet Li and then when they show a shot of Li and Stallone walking next to each other Stallone is only about an inch taller than him.

nemesun

firehawk12 said:
Wow, really? Maybe I was too close because I couldn't follow this mess of a movie at all. I can't tell what was worse, the Jet Li fight scene or the ending.
Are you referring to Li's fight with
Lundgren
under the stairs? if that's the case, it has more to do with bad camera work than a shaky camera.

nemesun

Synth_floyd said:
I loved how they had all those short jokes about Jet Li and then when they show a shot of Li and Stallone walking next to each other Stallone is only about an inch taller than him.
:lol I actually quite liked those tidbit of interaction between the lads, it brought back so many memories; Arnie and Sly jibes were particularly hilarious
Bruce:What's his problem?
Sly:He wants to be a president

So I saw this last week but have been putting off writing about it, because frankly I don't like dissing Stallone.

The Expendables was pretty terrible. This was not the same amount of effort that was put in to Rocky Balboa or the latest RAMBO. Stallone figured he was back on top again and looked at what people were saying was good about those movies on the surface.

All the greatest movies of the 80s had some sort of original, ironclast representation of the characters that lied within - even Commando. There was nothing redeeming about any of the characters in The Expendables.

I will admit I smiled when I saw him set the wharf on fire and the ensuing explosions. But I was yawning through much of The Expendables and I'm about as big an 80s action movie fan as you can find.

The shit was boring as hell. There were no stakes. If Barney and his team failed then....what? They would cease to live out the rest of their apparently shitty lives?

Dolph Lundgren's character was ridiculous, let alone what ended up happening with him.

For those that will try to rip this apart by saying 'If you go to a movie like this and expect good characters, you don't get the movie', I say that you don't get what makes good action movies. In the very best action movies, we have reasons for wanting the characters we're following to kick ass.

Not only that, but for a movie that needs action to tie it together, the action in The Expendables was pretty piss poor. I can recount two pieces I liked out of the whole mess. The one previously mentioned and the one 5 second shot of Mr. Shotgun mowing everybody in the underground down with superior firepower.

4/10

I really hope Stallone doesn't let the success of The Expendables allow his ego to grow any more or he'll be back to where he was before Rocky Balboa.

Scullibundo said:
For those that will try to rip this apart by saying 'If you go to a movie like this and expect good characters, you don't get the movie', I say that you don't get what makes good action movies. In the very best action movies, we have reasons for wanting the characters we're following to kick ass.

I would never say that to you Sculli--at least we agree on AHBUHDAR :)

But I agree, there was no investment in the team or the stakes but I had a blast.

Sorry it didn't work for you, mate.

I did like that one shot where the camera did a 180 flip onto its back imitating the POV of Stallone whilst he shot above Statham's head.

But yeah, I was just massively disappointed since I was hoping for something of the same zeal and enthusiasm that went into Shoot 'Em Up, but instead got something half-hearted from Stallone.

I can't believe Arnold walked in, only to walk out 30 seconds later. :lol

Aselith

Scullibundo said:
I did like that one shot where the camera did a 180 flip onto its back imitating the POV of Stallone whilst he shot above Statham's head.

But yeah, I was just massively disappointed since I was hoping for something of the same zeal and enthusiasm that went into Shoot 'Em Up, but instead got something half-hearted from Stallone.

I can't believe Arnold walked in, only to walk out 30 seconds later. :lol

They call that a cameo. Yep, they have a term for it now.

I meant it more in the sense that they could have ended the scene there and then. They didn't need to establish the fact that his character literally travelled to the meeting, only to walk out 30 seconds later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nemesun said:
Are you referring to Li's fight with
Lundgren
under the stairs? if that's the case, it has more to do with bad camera work than a shaky camera.

Ah yeah, I was referring to the directing in general I suppose.

Sean

Banned
Stallone reveals the reason Van Damme turned down The Expendables (lol):

Jean-claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone's all-star action film The Expendables, because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li.

Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but Universal Soldier star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.

Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet.

"He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humour."

Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in The Expendables - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni3839496/

Was a fun stupid action film, had lot of manly men kicking ass and some funny moments. The one negative to me really was there was just too many characters so obviously not everyone could get enough screen time.

Nothing remarkable but it provided what has been lacking, and that was straight forward old school style of action film.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So glad to see it doing well on the box office.
The Expendables 2 B E L I E V E (Now with more The Rock!)

nemesun

firehawk12 said:
Is it funny that Van Damme still has some "pride" about this random bullshit?

Considering the dude made JCVD?!
JCVD was fucking awesome, what was wrong with it? if he dies tomorrow JCVD would be the saving grace of his miserable acting career after so many self-inflicted coupe de grace.

nemesun said:
JCVD was fucking awesome, what was wrong with it? if he dies tomorrow JCVD would be the saving grace of his miserable acting career after so many self-inflicted coupe de grace.

He didn't say anything was wrong with it, just how silly Van Damme is acting after everything said in JCVD.

nemesun

BattleMonkey said:
Was a fun stupid action film, had lot of manly men kicking ass and some funny moments. The one negative to me really was there was just too many characters so obviously not everyone could get enough screen time.

Nothing remarkable but it provided what has been lacking, and that was straight forward old school style of action film.
That's sums up the movie perfectly. I assume people who whinge about the script haven't seen many campy action flicks when they were kids.

nemesun

BattleMonkey said:
He didn't say anything was wrong with it, just how silly Van Damme is acting after everything said in JCVD.
"Considering the dude made JCVD" that's more of a pop at quality of movie than what Damme might have said in JCVD.

Replicant

Just saw it today. What a fun, fun, fun movie. I was grinning throughout the whole thing. The main trio of Stallone, Statham, and Li had good chemistry.

Love the Arnold and Bruce cameo. It was perfectly executed.

nemesun said:
"Considering the dude made JCVD" that's more of a pop at quality of movie than what Damme might have said in JCVD.

Still not saying anything negative about the movie, he's talking about Van Damme himself. The whole feeling JCVD conveyed in the movie and all he put into it just seemed to be ignored with his attitude towards being asked to be part of a big film. He whines about how Hollywood is and such but turns down role with many other fellow old school stars in favor of doing more direct to video garbage like Universal Soldier Return

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Replicant said:
Just saw it today. What a fun, fun, fun movie. I was grinning throughout the whole thing. The main trio of Stallone, Statham, and Li had good chemistry.

Love the Arnold and Bruce cameo. It was perfectly executed.

I know I posted about this before, but I thought just the opposite. I thought their interactions were so forced... no chemistry at all whatsoever. Rourke and Stallone's chemistry was a bit better. Anyway, fun movie. I hope they make a sequel.

Marvie_3

Banned
digita1alchemy said:
Buy both of them. They are dirt cheap and each have their own special features so owning them both is sort of like having a 2 disc set. At least that's what I did.

The only violence that was cut were some of the bad effects shots. And they weren't cut out completely, the shots just don't linger as long now. The story bits added back in help the movie, I think.
Awesome. Thanks for the info! I'll have to go pick up the re-edited version when I get the chance.

Formless

Really enjoyable movie but clearly not as good as the new Rambo. Could've had more development for each character, not mostly Stallone and Statham.

The big Rourke scene was good but it was sort of random. Could've cut some parts in the scouting mission to add to scenes in America

nemesun

BattleMonkey said:
Had a huge grin for almost the entire final giant battle. So much awesome ass kicking and the Stallone rapid reloading.... so awesome.
That scene was mind blowing, I had a huge grin on my face. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Had a huge grin for almost the entire final giant battle. So much awesome ass kicking and the Stallone rapid reloading.... so awesome.

Wouldn't he have to pull back the slide to chamber the first shot, though? I'm no gun expert but that really bugged me.

Replicant

Jason Statham and Jet Li teaming up to break that guy's neck was the highlight of this film. The entire theater went "Oooh" when that scene happened.

The last 30mins of that flick were pure fucking insanity. It just kept getting crazier and crazier and crazier, I couldn't believe it. I loved how they they wasted no time on deflecting from the action with stupid things like an expendable getting killed or injured. Instead they just went out there and found hundred of cool ways to pulverizing the living shit out of everything that would stand up.

It had some boring parts and horrible dialogues at times, but the action was just... wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom