• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fact that Gabe and Tycho are socially distancing really gets my goat

iconmaster

Banned
The last Penny Arcade comic to depict its main characters, Gabe and Tycho, occupying the same space was back in March:

q7gekm-8g1NKP6Gc.jpg

Shortly thereafter, COVID happened and PA decided to do the socially responsible thing:

q7pwuj-pgIhYi2Lc.jpg

Since then, its main characters have been resolutely kept apart except for two ambiguous instances, one of which involves a mirror universe not our own:

qcjt0k-2MGcPcydc.jpg

This has now been going on for over four months. I don't know what the reopening situation is in Washington state, but surely it's at least possible for a couple of friends to get together for games at this point. And of course, Gabe and Tycho can't catch anything, being comic characters occupying a world where COVID doesn't have to exist if its creators don't want it to.

Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik:

It's time to reopen Penny Arcade.

Last edited:
man, I had not read PA for a while. thanks for reminding me to catch up.

as for the social distancing thing, I'm fine with it. they have a pretty big fan base and they would have to take responsibility for making the example on the proper behavior during these times, so I'm fine with what they're doing with the comics. plus it adds to the immersion in a way I guess.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was a neat little idea at the time to endorse the idea of distancing when it was most crucial, but you're right, we're long past the point where two friends can't just hang out and play games together.

DKehoe

Imagine if they actually drew themselves instead of these super childish idealized versions of themselves. Gabe literally looks like a toddler half the time.

c25cb688a8aa9d784146c5dbddd2c504.jpg

Always found it really weird that in real life they go by the names of the characters. Especially since those characters look nothing like them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can't stand the art style anymore, he started out horrible, developed a really nice and unique style, then just went overboard with it, they look ridiculous now
Yup. I love that his art evolves and he's clearly gotten better over the years, but the current aesthetic looks odd to me. At least they don't have strawberries for noses anymore.

DKehoe

What's so strange about using a handle on the interwebs?

I see your point, there's people like Notch who do the same. So I guess that isn't so unusual. But the names also being those of characters they write does add an extra layer to it. Particularly since the characters aren't directly them. It'd be kinda like if Stan Lee had started going by the name Spider-Man.

I think it's neat that they are encouraging social distancing with their characters in their comic. It sets a social standard that it's okay to take time apart and wait till we have recovered from Covid-19.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I see your point, there's people like Notch who do the same. So I guess that isn't so unusual. But the names also being those of characters they write does add an extra layer to it. Particularly since the characters aren't directly them. It'd be kinda like if Stan Lee had started going by the name Spider-Man.
The characters they write were always supposed to be avatars of themselves, though. That's not like Spiderman.

Thaedolus

My mom gave me shit after looking in my search history and seeing the comic where they made fun of the size of the OG Xbox controller and said something about hammering nails into their dicks.

...that’s probably around the last time I read them, wtf happened to the art style?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i'd like to think you can keep your edge as a father without careening toward the abyss and ruining your family

maybe you cannot, i've got no children and might be outta my limit

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
i'd like to think you can keep your edge as a father without careening toward the abyss and ruining your family

True, skillfull entertainers can keep their real personality separate from their entertainment personas and switch between both when the situation applies. Seeing as how Gabe and Tycho's cartoon avatars are supposed to be a romanticized, satirized, caricatured, humorous slice of life take on their real lives, it's a little more intertwined. If their real lives evolve from angsty 90s gamer geek into modern gamer dad, that will inevitably reflect in their art.

Thaedolus

My kid isn't 2 yet and was parroting my angry f-bombs at another driver cutting me off when pulling my trailer the other day...adjustments must be made

iconmaster

Banned
Holy crap. Consider my goat ungotten!

qek7gq-n7C1Nrb3c.jpg

I'm not saying it's due to the fact that I tweeted the authors a week ago, but I did tweet the authors a week ago:

Top Bottom