• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.plug.dj/pop-gaf/

tumblr_m3q0s81eOq1qfbj2ao2_r1_500.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
J. Lo was the shit back in the day.

"Ain't it funny" > anything she's put out after. "Jenny from the block" and "Love don't cost a thing" were good as well.

God, she's fallen off. Having to use Pitbull to be successful.

botty

Banned
It's been awhile since I listened to her songs, but ABDC did remind me that J-Lo was the shit back in the day. Haters will stay pressed.

uVgyi.gif

Actress, Singer, Dancer, Fashion icon... and not in that particular order. I didn't think people would try and come for Jenny, but wow.

tumblr_m3q0s6UGHg1rr1da2o3_250.gif

A la izquierda aborrecedores

Bladenic

I like J. Lo as a person. She seems nice enough, and she's gorgeous. Her songs are alright, catchy but nothing more. And she's likable as an actress and has been pretty good in a few select movies.

But shading her is ridiculously easy. For one, her music career has been practically dead for close to a decade. Her movie career was never huge. Sure she managed to get paid exuberant amounts per movie but she's never been in a movie that grossed over 100 million. Not to mention Gigli... I guess she's safe when it comes to dancing, and I have no idea or care about fashion.

Her best song is easily this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY4PGkTqy4w

royalan

Bit late but, jesus, get some backing singers woman. Dat playback.

Wow, just saw this...I don't hate Gaga like I hated Born This Way, but that was genuinely terrible. I would be really disappointed if I were in that audience.

I know that Gaga's made the claim that she'll never lip sync, but she needs to realize that performers like Britney and Janet lip synced not just to mask a lack of vocal ability, but because their team was smart enough to realize that if they tried to sing live while doing the INTENSE choreography they were known for, they'd sound like total shit no matter how good they were. All I could think watching this was "jack of all trades, master of none." The intensive choreography was distracting Gaga from her vocal performance, and her struggles to breathe and sing lyrics were visibly keeping her from connecting to the choreo. All in all an absolute mess.

Gaga needs to either get smarter choreography that is paced well, doesn't tax her too much, and allows her time to fucking breathe between 8-counts (Beyonce is the undisputed queen of this, followed closely by Xtina). Or she needs to fucking suck up her pride and use a backing track (or backing singers as Julle suggested).

Because that was just awful.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's not just the sounding out of breath, it's just hearing her own voice played back for much of the song along with her - the intro, much of the chorus, the 'I...' bit. It just feels tacky and cheap. Didn't she have backup singers on the Monster Ball tour?

royalan

It's not just the sounding out of breath, it's just hearing her own voice played back for much of the song along with her - the intro, much of the chorus, the 'I...' bit. It just feels tacky and cheap. Didn't she have backup singers on the Monster Ball tour?

She did.

Although her out-of-breath flatness for most of that performance is the most offensive to me. And the stiff dancing.

Ollie Pooch

Visually pretty cool, but it's like she's so hell bent on being the best at everything that she just throws it all in together and fucks it up. To me, that performance wild have far more power if she was doing different choreography to her dancers, that still fit in, but allowed for powerful vocals as you said.

Hope she tightens this shit up in the next 5 weeks :p

botty

Banned
She did.

Although her out-of-breath flatness for most of that performance is the most offensive to me. And the stiff dancing.

Well, she sounded decent there. Although there were some pitch problems, especially when trying to hit notes out of her reach.
Is that Michelle Williams singing back up next to her?

Oh, didn't you post in the wii u thread? Where have you been?

royalan

Visually pretty cool, but it's like she's so hell bent on being the best at everything that she just throws it all in together and fucks it up. To me, that performance wild have far more power if she was doing different choreography to her dancers, that still fit in, but allowed for powerful vocals as you said.

Hope she tightens this shit up in the next 5 weeks :p

She doesn't even need to do different choreography, really. She just needs to stop trying to do ALL of it. She should not be doing the full choreography during the verses, it's too much for her (as it would be for MOST singers). She was winded before that performance was even half over.

Do the choreography during the intro; jump out of the choreography during the verses, catch your breath while singing the verse, then jump back in for the chorus. It's a tried and true format.

Oh, didn't you post in the wii u thread? Where have you been?

Gurl, I gave up after the 2nd OT. I'm still excited for Wii U, but there's only so much back-and-forth I can handle over the same non-information before I mentally check out. Near the end of the 2nd OT the thread doubled back on tech-talk over the same unsubstantiated rumors, with that one French poster claiming to have a ton of info on the Wii U but saying he was going to purposely tease the thread to "promote discussion" (seriously, isn't that bannable?), and I was just done.

Ollie Pooch

I predict that in 6 months from now, in a hype-induced moment of weakness I'll be walking out of a store with a Wii U and that new Rayman game.

royalan

Sorry, boo - you tried it.

Christina slaying BOTH choreography and 100% live vocals back in '10. Note the run in the finale.

#onanotherlevel

Gaga could never with the choreography she attempts to do.

But to be fair, it's not that Christina is some mechanical woman. It's as I said earlier; notice that, as intense as the choreography is in spots, there are also moments where she's just strutting across the floor singing or talking to the audience. These moments allow her to catch her breath. This is smart choreography. Not flaw-full "Boom Kat" choreography.

B-Dex

Where is the choreo with the awesome singing? All I could see was a big whale flopping around on a counter and sitting in a chair.

royalan

You guys are comparing a one off performance to a concert performance.
2095c354.gif

I only used that performance because it was Xtina's most recent that involved heavy choreography, and it was sufficient enough to prove that when it comes to singing and dancing, in the face of Gaga's "seizures" Christina's wig stays laid like world peace and unsnatched.

Christina normally doesn't do a lot of choreography in her concert performances, and for good reason: she's a singer.

I don't want this to be taken as shade, because as much as I hated Born This Way I am a fan of Gaga's in general, but I think she tries to do way too fucking much in her live performances. The result is often messy performances. I've thought this since The Fame Monster era, which on the whole was pretty flawless.

She just needs to stop trying to do 100% of the choreography and 100% of the vocals. VERY FEW singers could pull that off, and she's definitely not one of them. Her whole performance suffers for it.

boomcrap has been gone for almost a year now dears. Try again.

I was under the impression that, while Boom Kat has been "let go" at this point, she was still responsible for the bulk of the choreography from this era. Is that incorrect?

botty

Banned
Listen, what really matters is, Gaga can book stages. Xtincta only gets ice rinks.

Gaga isn't the best at anything she does. In terms of vocals... Adele, Mariah (after a bit of warming up), and xtina destroy her. In terms of choreo... Beyonce has it locked. Now what about the thing that she is most famous for: visuals/style... sorry, but her image is to the industry what "Just Dance" (pun intended) is to dancing games. It's flashy, but lacks depth; reductive if you will.

Yes, she can book a stage. For now.

tumblr_llbqylAAtN1qddfro.gif

Koodo

Banned
Gaga isn't the best at anything she does. In terms of vocals... Adele, Mariah (after a bit of warming up), and xtina destroy her. In terms of choreo... Beyonce has it locked. Now what about the thing that she is most famous for: visuals/style... sorry, but her image is to the industry what "Just Dance" (pun intended) is to dancing games. It's flashy, but lacks depth; reductive if you will.
Darling, let's not even get into gaming industry analogies because your fave is Titus Software.

But GAGA's iconic visuals and style lacking depth? Your fave seemed to think otherwise when she tried to pawn off GAGA's style in 2010. Much like Garbaj, she was labeled a clown.

Quite simply, there are few musicians who can blend in multiple genres with technically proficient vocals, showmanship and an affinity for and knowledge of live instruments, and The High Empress Germanotta is one of them. In the words of Elton John, Tony Bennett, Cher, Sting, Queen Elizabeth II and countless other legends, a true artist. These observations have been ratified by the wider population through the numerous critical accolades (more than your fave), incredible commercial reception, and record breaking tour receipts. Maybe you misread the unit of measurement, but the depth of the Holy Lady's artistic well is quite simply kilometric.

Perhaps it's not immediately evident, but HRH Gagalupe is simply best at ending careers.

In fact, these overwhelming observations have the Extinction Committee so hot and bothered that they are fabricating theories for why their fave was erased from society.

iYbuXyC1G86X4.gif

Shameful.

*sigh*...beep me 911 when Gaga gets a career that spans over a decade.
Why would he do that when Xtincta's career couldn't even last beyond the year 2007? Let me put this in a way that will resonate with you: in one year's time, Rihanus will have outlasted your fave.

cFhij.gif

More Chris "Bruises" Brown/Rihanna promo drama!

- Rihanna hospitalized for flu-like symptoms
- Bruises releases a freestyle of Kanye's track called Theraflu
- One choice lyric is "Don’t f*ck with my old bitch it’s like a bad fur/Every industry n*gga done had her/Shook the tree like a pumpkin just to smash her…”
- Rihanna unfollows Bruises on Twitter
- @rihanna: Aw, poor dat #neaux1currrrr
- Rihanna tweets pictures of herself with various industry men

tumblr_m2zbs7m2xe1qk4ikmo1_500.gif

What will these famewhores do next in order to get publicity?
Will Rihanna still be "sick" by the time her Idol "performance" rolls around?
Why has Bruises chosen to endorse Theraflu over the much superior Airborne?

So many questions.

royalan

Why would he do that when Xtincta's career couldn't even last beyond the year 2007? Let me put this in a way that will resonate with you: in one year's time, Rihanus will have outlasted your fave.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that being featured on a #1 hit song, playing a prominent role on the second most popular talent competition in the US (and Tuesday night's biggest ratings draw by a long shot), and working on an album with some of the industry's top producers to be released later this year on a major label meant your career was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom