• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

Shari

Such a pity that there's not a big community of players for this game, the concept is so cool.

Dying permamently to someone between level 100-400 while you are on your 10th game is very infuriating and feels really unbalanced.

Aside from that "intermission" times are really annoying being used to PC. But damn the concept is nice and the decision rush between executing and running away, that split-second decision that could get you killed in the next five seconds or not..

This MP idea is worth an standalone game IMO.

Such a pity that there's not a big community of players for this game, the concept is so cool.

Dying permamently to someone between level 100-400 while you are on your 10th game is very infuriating and feels really unbalanced.

Aside from that "intermission" times are really annoying being used to PC. But damn the concept is nice and the decision rush between executing and running away, that split-second decision that could get you killed in the next five seconds or not..

This MP idea is worth an standalone game IMO.

I can understand what you're saying, but the weapons provide a fair chance at doing good. I've been playing heavily after a long break from the PS3 version and I found my groove after a couple of games.

The MP is fun though.

I do wonder about that myself. It's a freaking amazing game, probably the best and freshest multiplayer from last generation -- but the actual online community isn't that active. Especially with the way a lot of the perks interact with one another and influence optimal playstyle, you'd think there would be an active theorycrafting community. But there aren't that many active TLOU forums right now, unfortunately.

And what have you done about it?

Tell your friends about it. Spread the word. ND didn't get a lot of funding from Sony to advertise the MP (Uncharted is another story tho).

Most people are like "SP is phenomenal, but I didn't even bother to try the MP, hurr durr!".

Shari

And what have you done about it?

Tell your friends about it. Spread the word. ND didn't get a lot of funding from Sony to advertise the MP (Uncharted is another story tho).

Most people are like "SP is phenomenal, but I didn't even bother to try the MP, hurr durr!".

I've convinced a mate to do a sin (paying to play online) so we could join up in jolly cooperation.

It didn't work until yesterday night tho, some days Sony wouldn't let us do a voice chat because nat type restrictions (being both of us on cable and with Type 2 nat) and other day we tried we couldn't join each other ingame, for some reason we would be instantly kicked when joining the other's one lobby.

Maybe the fault of this not being a hit is Sony's horrible pay-to-be-scammed piss poor online platform.

The sad thing is I'm super happy to be able to play this and bloodborne online to the point I don't mind paying, but the downtimes and the shitstability is something that annoys me to no end.

Anyway, enough OT, great game, awesome concept. Will pass by as I unlock weapons.

If anyone wants to share some good loadouts (or sites that do this) please don't be shy, I'm taking!

Pachimari

Are you guys still playing each other online? Or have it died down?

I hadn't played multiplayer since the PS3 days and just started up now, and I'm rusty as all hell. I really need some practice with ya'll.

Vibrant

Banned
Just started playing the MP of this game and man is it overrated.

Rant:
No body said that literally half of the unlockables are behind a paywall. It's exactly like p2w. Ridiculous. I hate how people can see me through walls. I hate how the character moves like he's stuck in a sandpit. I hate how I pump almost a full clip into someone and they take off running. No one can finish kills at medium/long range (see last point).
/rant

Just had to get that off my chest. Anyways, it's overrated

Gray Matter

Rant:
No body said that literally half of the unlockables are behind a paywall. It's exactly like p2w. Ridiculous. I hate how people can see me through walls. I hate how the character moves like he's stuck in a sandpit. I hate how I pump almost a full clip into someone and they take off running. No one can finish kills at medium/long range (see last point).
/rant

C'mon bro, you just said that just started playing, this is after 2+ years of people already knowing how to play the game. Does it have some problems, yes, is it overrated, hell no.

Rant:
/rant

Git gud.

ajcacio

Banned
The multi for this game seems dead. It takes forever to find a match.

I've had problems where some days it takes forever to find a match. I'll get all the way to the tool tip screens then it will time out. Most times though it's pretty snappy. The only problems I really have are with the matchmaking. I feel like the teams aren't super balanced always. (I'm level 7 or 8)

Pachimari

Guys, this is my new addiction.
I forgot how great it was on PS3, and now I'm enjoying it immensely on PS4. There's nothing like it on the market.

I also started up singleplayer again, and have still to complete the DLC.

Should I add any of you to my friend list, so we can play private matches?

One question. If I am sprinting, I am seen on the radar right?

TheZink

I forgot how great it was on PS3, and now I'm enjoying it immensely on PS4. There's nothing like it on the market.

Yes. Whenever you sprint you are seen on radar. Even when you just stand or walk you can be seen in listen mode.

Pachimari

Yes. Whenever you sprint you are seen on radar. Even when you just stand or walk you can be seen in listen mode.

Oh, I didn't know this.

I honestly don't understand the whole Healthy, Hungry, Sick deal, and why I need a certain amount of survivors. And what are the missions for? To gain extra items and upgrades during matches if I fulfill the mission?

Add me. I'm Billions_Knives on PSN.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, I played the mp on both ps3 and ps4 for like 1 month after the game launched and really enjoyed it, but as more games launched I forgot about it.

But, I think 3 weeks ago I decided to play 1 or 2 matches just to see if the community was still alive and how much OP were the players.

Let's just say I now play at least 2 hours every night... This game mp is fucking brilliant!

Dammit. So how come when I see enemy players jogging (not sprinting) they don't show up on the map?

The map only shows enemies that are sprinting or were spotted.

No, you said that covert makes players immune to listen mode no matter wether they're walking or sprinting, which is not true.
I see, so it only makes you immune to listen mode while crouch walking. And you don't show up on the map if you're walking, regardless if you have Covert training equipped. That's the gist of it?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
So I was right? I didn't mean holding down the Sprint button, but your character appears like he is jogging when you tilt the analogue stick.

I think both of us got confused. We thought you said listen mode, but it was map.

When jogging, players just show on the map if they were spotted. As you can't be market with convert training 2 or 3, you never shows up when jogging.

Gray Matter

I see, so it only makes you immune to listen mode while crouch walking. And you don't show up on the map if you're walking, regardless if you have Covert training equipped. That's the gist of it?

The first part is correct. Even if you have covert training maxed out you still show up on listen mode while standing, walking, and sprinting.

I think both of us got confused. We thought you said listen mode, but it was map.

When jogging, players just show on the map if they were spotted. As you can't be market with convert training 2 or 3, you never shows up when jogging.

The first part is correct. Even if you have covert training maxed out you still show up on listen mode while standing, walking, and sprinting.
Thanks for the correction guys.

It feels like upgraded Burst Rifle + Sharpshooter is extremely powerful in the hands of a skilled player, but you still need to devote 4-5 points on a perk to make that build feasible. The TacShot only takes 3 points and is superior in close quarters to anything other than skill+headshots -- even unupgraded it's a beast.
This is a bit of a late reply but I've been terribly busy as of late. Sorry!

The Burst Rifle is nice when paired with Sharpshooter but it does just fine without it. I'd rather use the points on other stuff. At any rate, it's one less point than the Tactical Shotgun. At close range, the Tactical Shotgun faces some stiff competition against the Shorty and nailboards.

The Shorty costs two less points, has a huge spread, and it is difficult to gun down a Shorty user that bobs and weaves between shots. It is also costs way less to upgrade, especially if you forego the second upgrade which I feel is nice but unnecessary. As someone who's been on both sides of a lvl 2 Tactical Shotgun vs nailboard, both people go down. Perhaps someone else can offer their own anecdotes on this match-up, but upgraded melee probably wins if the Tactical Shotgun is lvl 0 or 1 due to the slower fire rate. In other words, the Tactical Shotgun gets trumped by something that is available to everyone regardless of loadout, for free no less!

These two things prevent the Tactical Shotgun from being the king of close quarters, if you ask me.
Just started playing the MP of this game and man is it overrated. [...]
Some of the DLC stuff is very good. But the non-DLC stuff is just as good if not better. Would I be happier if there was less paid DLC? Absolutely, but calling it pay to win is a stretch.

If you don't like that you can be seen through walls, consider using Covert Training 2; it prevents the enemy from detecting you with listen mode, provided you're crouching.

The slow character movement goes with the slower pace of the game. Flanking can be a very powerful tactic and it would be even stronger if you could get into position quicker.

If people are able to run away after you "pump almost a full clip into someone", I have to question how many of your shots are actually hitting your target. What weapons are you using? My first guess is that you use the Full Auto Rifle, in which case I would advise you to branch out and try something else. It doesn't hurt to wait a little before pulling the trigger if it ensures that you won't miss. Too many times have I watched a beginner get the drop on a (stationary) enemy only for them to blow the opportunity by missing shot after shot.

Mid/long range kills take a bit of practice, that's all. You might find it easier with large firearms as they are more zoomed in than small firearms.

Shari

Sorry, I've spoken really good of this game in previous days as I wasn't able to see the full extent of it. I came to rant as this user few posts ago for the same reason.

I fucking HATE paywalls, really, with all my heart, and I bet my ass this is the reason this AMAZING multiplayer doesnt have a huge community like Gears on it's day or TF2, to name a couple.

Man, I'm so mad about this. Why won't you stick to your fucking helmets and masks Sony? Why you have to be so damn greedy.

I know someone is going to say "hey man, it's not that bad, it is actually pretty balanced even if you dont pay for the extra guns". But why should I be reassured on something like that? Why cant you fucking keep it strictly to cosmetics and give everyone the same amount of tools since we all payed for the damned game.

This really feels like Last of us MP demo, if you want the rest start payin' some bundles.

Im so fucking salty I can't even.

The Shorty costs two less points, has a huge spread, and it is difficult to gun down a Shorty user that bobs and weaves between shots. It is also costs way less to upgrade, especially if you forego the second upgrade which I feel is nice but unnecessary. As someone who's been on both sides of a lvl 2 Tactical Shotgun vs nailboard, both people go down. Perhaps someone else can offer their own anecdotes on this match-up, but upgraded melee probably wins if the Tactical Shotgun is lvl 0 or 1 due to the slower fire rate. In other words, the Tactical Shotgun gets trumped by something that is available to everyone regardless of loadout, for free no less!

I've actually come around in my thinking on the TacShot. Maybe it's because my playstyle has changed to seek to stay at range, or maybe it's just that the metagame changed slightly (I seem to see way more Semi-Auto rifles these days) -- regardless, I'm having much less trouble dealing with TacShot users. I still think it's "overpowered" in that in it's still an amazing gun in the hands of complete novices, but overall it's not insurmountable.

This really feels like Last of us MP demo, if you want the rest start payin' some bundles.

ND really messed it up. Just make all purchasables cosmetic... it's not that complicated. How much money are they making on p2win purchasables? It hurts the brand more than it's worth.

I don't even use DLC weapons most of the time and I'm doing just fine.

Just because a certain player kills you by using DLC weapons, it doesn't mean that these weapons are OP. The same player would be able to kill you just as easily with vanilla weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

ps: The pool is smaller than Uncharted, because Sony didn't advertise the MP. It also has a steep learning curve compared to Uncharted.

I don't even use DLC weapons most of the time and I'm doing just fine.

Just because a certain player kills you by using DLC weapons, it doesn't mean that these weapons are OP. The same player would be able to kill you just as easily with vanilla weapons.

True, on their own no single DLC weapon is overpowered -- but when you factor in the purchasable perks and the way they synergize with particular weapons -- e.g. Scavenger + TacShot, Launcher + Explosion Expert (combos not available in the preset loadouts), things get trickier. There are definitely situations where I'm getting ahead on the perk combinations that I payed to get, rather than actual skill.

Business

Sorry, I've spoken really good of this game in previous days as I wasn't able to see the full extent of it. I came to rant as this user few posts ago for the same reason.

I fucking HATE paywalls, really, with all my heart, and I bet my ass this is the reason this AMAZING multiplayer doesnt have a huge community like Gears on it's day or TF2, to name a couple.

Man, I'm so mad about this. Why won't you stick to your fucking helmets and masks Sony? Why you have to be so damn greedy.

I know someone is going to say "hey man, it's not that bad, it is actually pretty balanced even if you dont pay for the extra guns". But why should I be reassured on something like that? Why cant you fucking keep it strictly to cosmetics and give everyone the same amount of tools since we all payed for the damned game.

The best players I find around use the hunting rifle, the semi-auto and even the bow. There are annoying DLC weapons, but this game is not pay to win.

CK-4CV9VEAAICY7.jpg:large

Played the best game I've ever had tonight.

I've actually come around in my thinking on the TacShot. Maybe it's because my playstyle has changed to seek to stay at range, or maybe it's just that the metagame changed slightly (I seem to see way more Semi-Auto rifles these days) -- regardless, I'm having much less trouble dealing with TacShot users. I still think it's "overpowered" in that in it's still an amazing gun in the hands of complete novices, but overall it's not insurmountable.

Looks like we're in agreement on the Tactical Shotgun then!

Played the best game I've ever had tonight.
Very nice! What loadout did you use to accomplish that?

Shari

Why people keep insisting on DLC weapons are not OP? I'm not fucking saying they are, I'm stating how annoying is to keep content from the game locked away behind a paywall.

I don't care wether it's op or not, I dont (didn't) play this game to be #1 in every match, played to have fun, but it aint fun being locked away from half of the content.

I mean, it's like literally 40% of the content of the game, it's ridiculous.

Also everyone seems to be using hunting rifle and pro's without DLC and yet I see people in here mostly speaking about frontier rifle and tact shotgun (run through the last couple of pages).

This pretty much sums it up.

Im outta here.

New player here, is there no way to get certain weapons without paying for them?

Edit: yeah read the kotaku link above me.... what the fuck? What. The. Fuck.

New player here, is there no way to get certain weapons without paying for them?

Edit: yeah read the kotaku link above me.... what the fuck? What. The. Fuck.
The preset loadouts can be used for free. Buying DLC unlocks the ability to use it in custom loadouts.

It looks like nearly every piece of DLC can be found in the preset loadouts; just not every level of everything.

Åesop;173321763 said:
Preset Loadouts..

The preset loadouts can be used for free. Buying DLC unlocks the ability to use it in custom loadouts.

It looks like nearly every piece of DLC can be found in the preset loadouts; just not every level of everything.
Still that's really disappointing for a $60 re-release.... especially when there are cosmetic micro transactions on top of that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Keeping the perks secret? :p

I was never a fan of the Semi-Auto, despite the fact that it is quite powerful. The starting ammo is just a little too low for my taste.

Semi-Auto is probably the best weapon without an upgrade. Buy armor instead. Win every 1v1. Pick up ammo from your victories.

Also I like the vanilla 9mm or revolver. They too get the job done without costing you anything.

Hunting Rifle and Burst Rifle I kinda need at least one upgrade.

Top Bottom