• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The man has been eating pizza exclusively every day for the past 25 years (Vice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcl0328

Not only that, the guy has type 2 diabetes, DIABETES. He can lose a limb, go blind, have organ failure, even DIE.

where does the article say he's type 2? from what i heard on reddit in the baltimore sub he is type 1 which is actually worse because his body can't make insulin. i know when i eat pizza it makes my sugar do uncontrollable things. i don't know how this guy does it....

We're only assuming he has type 2 because he developed it as an adult. It's what most adults have from improper diet.

it doesn't say anywhere when he developed it. not to mention you don't get type 2 from a bad diet. you must have the genetics first. then years of insulin spikes leading to your body not metabolizing glucose properly.

my grandfather eats entire cakes, pies, plates of cookies, spaghetti with bread, and he is no where near diabetic since he doesn't have the genetics. now my grandmother eats the same foods and she has it.

Famassu

I know a guy like this, mid 40s, diabetic, thin as can be.

Eats McDonalds. Every. Single. Day.

Guy has a wife and kids, she cooks amazing homemade healthy meals every night, and she and the kids eat that while he goes and gets a double quarter pounder. Doctors have given him a totally clean bill of health. It's bizarre.
If the only thing he eats is the hamburger and he doesn't buy some JUMBO MEGA fries, an extra super large chocolate milkshake and other extra shit with it, then going to some hamburger place for a daily meal isn't that unhealthy. It's usually all that extra crap people order that makes it so unhealthy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Good for him? I wonder what he does at dinner parties, or when he goes out to eat with other people and pizza isn't on the menu. Does he bring his own? Does he just sit there? Definitely a strange situation, but if he's happy I don't see any issue other than dumb people using to excuse shitty life styles and extreme diets.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If the only thing he eats is the hamburger and he doesn't buy some JUMBO MEGA fries, an extra super large chocolate milkshake and other extra shit with it, then going to some hamburger place for a daily meal isn't that unhealthy. It's usually all that extra crap people order that makes it so unhealthy.

Yep, I get Egg McMuffins and McDoubles from mcds all the time. I have a gut but at 5'8" 145lbs its hardly making me obese or even approaching it. I suppose theres internal stuff that begins to misfire but meh

andycapps

If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be pizza. But obviously not healthy. I'm really craving a pizza right now.

Pete Rock

So he got diabetes after a while and was almost killed because of blackouts, that happen "sometimes", but besides that minor detail it works out for him?
I must say, even though I sound like a horribly unhealthy and fat person, I'm not. I'm thin. I have tons of energy, and I feel great every day, so there might be something to the exclusive pizza diet.
"I'm thin" as its own sentence is a dead giveaway. You can be incredibly unhealthy and still thin. I imagine he defines "tons of energy" in the context of a sitting on his ass 12 hours a day unless he is commuting to his job or to get more pizza. Everything's relative I suppose. I just hate this "story", he may act like a child that never grew up but that doesn't make it a fairy tale.

Petrie

Banned
If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be pizza. But obviously not healthy. I'm really craving a pizza right now.

This. I'd be torn between pizza and cheeseburgers with fries. But that counts as 2 foods I guess. So pizza it is.

Davey Cakes

I won't rag on this guy, even though I think he could've made better strides towards a more varied diet.

I'll accept all the shame in saying this but I generally can't stand it when people have limited taste in food. And I'm not talking about just picky (since I have my own dislikes, e.g raw tomato and olives). I've met folks who basically never grew out of the tastes of a six year old, only enjoying mac & cheese (or other pasta), pizza, MAYBE burgers and hot dogs, chicken fingers, French fries, etc. Probably not the "gourmet" versions of these items, either; just the basics.

(Don't get me wrong, these foods can be fantastic.)

They can still be some of the nicest people on earth but man, the human palate is quite a thing to waste.

bro1

Banned
I know a guy like this, mid 40s, diabetic, thin as can be.

Eats McDonalds. Every. Single. Day.

Guy has a wife and kids, she cooks amazing homemade healthy meals every night, and she and the kids eat that while he goes and gets a double quarter pounder. Doctors have given him a totally clean bill of health. It's bizarre.

He must be mentally ill as well pizza guy. Needs an intervention.

besada

Banned
Hey, I'd seriously recommend reading the OP, at a minimum, and the article, if possible, before popping off in the thread. We do still ban people for not reading OPs.

The guy has a problem, obviously. Whether his previous food issues (abuse by a caregiver over food, poisoning by fungi) are at the root of that, or whether there's something else going on, I don't know. I'd guess he doesn't know. That's why he's in therapy, trying to work on it. Kudos to him for working on his issue. I hope he gets to a place where he can manage a healthier lifestyle, and one that allows him to live a more normal life.

Malvolio

I'm not even a vegetarian, although the majority of my diet is veg, and I'm tired of these goofballs hijacking the term.

andycapps

This. I'd be torn between pizza and cheeseburgers with fries. But that counts as 2 foods I guess. So pizza it is.

Steak and eggs would be a good meal for me too. But I couldn't handle that at every meal. I feel like there's enough varieties of pizza to keep me interested for a while. It wouldn't just be cheese pizzas.

Petrie

Banned
Steak and eggs would be a good meal for me too. But I couldn't handle that at every meal. I feel like there's enough varieties of pizza to keep me interested for a while. It wouldn't just be cheese pizzas.

I love steak and eggs but even that I'd tire of. Plus it counts as 2 foods too. Pizza FTW.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Pizza over burgers any day of the week.

I like burgers but they are not even close to as satisfying as a pizza when it comes to taste.

Petrie

Banned
He's pretty young and it seems he's had it for a while, so it could easily be type 1 or LADA.

Based on him passing out from low sugar and such I assume he's dealing with type 1. I was diagnosed at 20 years old myself so that's not out of the question either.

IceCold

I don't understand adults who don't like vegetables. Who doesn't like a good salad? Boiling and steaming vegetables aren't the only way to cook your veggies either. Baking and frying is infinitely superior.

Petrie

Banned
I don't understand adults who don't like vegetables. Who doesn't like a good salad? Boiling and steaming vegetables aren't the only way to cook your veggies either. Baking and frying is infinitely superior.

Vegetables are gross. Texture is gross. Taste is gross.

Your taste develops when you're young. My parents weren't around then to encourage such things and as such, I choke down veggies. I never enjoy them outside of corn and carrots.

Antti

He looks like Jason Segel.

I was thinking Nick Kroll:
ibsYJpwtgpHTuV.jpg

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm also amazed he's not dead. Just cheese pizza and no vegetables at all?

He also sounds completely fucking insane.

IceCold

Vegetables are gross. Texture is gross. Taste is gross.

Your taste develops when you're young. My parents weren't around then to encourage such things and as such, I choke down veggies. I never enjoy them outside of corn and carrots.

Taste develops throughout your life. I wasn't a fan of onions when I was younger, now I love them.

It's kind of strange how your early caregivers can affect the things you eat. In the article he states how Mrs. Stanfill forced him to eat Brunswick stew everyday and it helped mess him all up. When I was around 4-5 I had a babysitter, my mother called "Aunt Gladys" who would watch me, while my mother worked, and forced me to eat (every day) spread banana on toast and a cup of cream of broccoli soup. I hated it. I would try to do everything to get out of it. One day I sat there and protested eating it and she said I'd have to sit there until I ate it. I sat there for what seemed like eternity. I cried. I yelled. I got smacked. I sat there. Finally I gave in and tried to eat it. The soup was stone cold and the banana on toast was so cold and hard and disgusting. That meal changed me and from then on I have never liked, nor eaten any fruit. I can trace it all back to that. I haven't eaten any fruit in over 30 years.

Petrie

Banned
All veggies don't have the same texture though and different cooking methods will also produce different textures.

Yes. And I've tried the vast majority. The fibrous texture of the majority of veggies is gross and no cooking method changes that for me.

livestOne

This is going to catch up to him sooner or later. It's pretty amazing he can do that and maintain a normal figure and (relatively) normal health in his 30's, but I doubt he can keep it up forever.

People are gonna say well he seems fine let him eat what he wants, until he's not fine anymore, and he dies, then everyone will say what did you expect? The guy ate pizza everyday. And then we'll all forget about it.

Petrie

Banned
Get a pressure cooker and turn those veggies into delicious mush.

This sounds even worse.

I'll grin and bear it with stuff like broccoli because I care more about my health than my taste buds, but I'll never enjoy it.

Davey Cakes

By cheese pizza he means margherita, right? There isn't some American thing where you just have cheese on a pizza base?
I've talked about this before on here.

In America, cheese pizza is just a regular sauce and cheese pizza (which is basically called "margherita" in other parts of the world.) However, on top of that we have a style of pizza called "margherita" which is basically a cheese pizza but with more emphasis on the tomato aspect and seasonings.

For example, I'll see a lot of "margherita" style pizzas that have chunks/pieces of tomato on top. And the taste is usually different too.

This guy is likely talking the standard bread, sauce, cheese. No frills. No special emphasis.

lenovox1

This sounds even worse.

I'll grin and bear it with stuff like broccoli because I care more about my health than my taste buds, but I'll never enjoy it.

You don't like mashed potatoes? You can get broccoli, cauliflower, and root veg down to that type of consistency.

Something that really does bug me about this:

Beyond nearly dying and totaling a car because he blacked out, he's fine?

Like.. damnit man, that's a sign

stn

I remember my dad was/still is convinced that I was getting acne because of diet. Now I see this guy, who just eats pizza all day, with nary a zit on his face. Incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom