• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The man has been eating pizza exclusively every day for the past 25 years (Vice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

I've tried. It isn't the same. No big deal though, as a health nut I eat them regardless.

That's good. At least you eat them which is the important thing. This pizza guy might seem healthy now but once he hits his 40s and 50s, he's going to start getting a bunch of health problems.

Petrie

Banned
That's good. At least you eat them which is the important thing. This pizza guy might seem healthy now but once he hits his 40s and 50s, he's going to start getting a bunch of health problems.

Yep. Believe me I've tried everything. Like another posted, I had an aunt who made me sit at the table once until I had eaten my plate of green string beans. Green veggies have literally made me gag ever since. Broccoli is the only exception I can choke down there.

Nachos

I'm surprised the guy mentioned Joe Squared at the end. I didn't even think too many people knew about it outside of Baltimore. Then again, the article doesn't say where he lives in Maryland.

What a childish twat.

So I went to a nutritionist, and it was a waste of time. They just basically give you a list of things to try, saying, "Oh, you're a vegetarian; you should try this, this, and this." And of course I'm not going to try any of those. I like pizza.

I HATE VEGETABLES. I LIKE PIZZA. Seriously, does this guy have the mental age of a 10-year-old?

I've never gotten a negative reaction except from my first endocrinologist. But all the other doctors have said, "Your cholesterol is fine. You seem healthy. Keep doing what you're doing."

I bet he's full of shit, but, if he's not, that's really disturbing. I can't think of a legitimate doctor who would tell a guy who eats nothing but fucking PIZZA every day that he's fine and should keep doing what he's doing. For fuck's sake.

Petrie

Banned
I bet he's full of shit, but, if he's not, that's really disturbing. I can't think of a legitimate doctor who would tell a guy who eats nothing but fucking PIZZA every day that he's fine and should keep doing what he's doing. For fuck's sake.

I've seen a lot of endocrinologists. Generally if your numbers keep staying good they will tell you to stay the course. They don't want to change what's working. It's really not until something starts to go wrong they encourage changes.

Typical US medicine treating instead of preventing.

Vegetables are gross. Texture is gross. Taste is gross.

Your taste develops when you're young. My parents weren't around then to encourage such things and as such, I choke down veggies. I never enjoy them outside of corn and carrots.

Bullshit. I was a picky eater as a child, mainly eating bread and meat. In my twenties i started to love everything, veggies, seafood, fruits, meat of every kind...

I didn't like coffee till last year, now I'm love with it. I'm adding new stuff everyday.

that being said i still would eat pizza everyday if i could without dying before i hit 40.

Nachos

The one thing about the article that pisses me off the most is the intro by the writer:

My friend Dan survives on nothing but pizza. It's said that variety is the spice of life, but for Dan, a 38-year-old woodworker based in Maryland, oregano is the only spice involved, because it’s the only thing that he will put on top of his pizza. The next time people tell you to eat your vegetables, you can tell them to fuck off and enlighten them with the story of this guy.

How on earth is this story supposed to be a retort against someone for chiding this sort of diet? Values are obviously going to vary from person to person, but once endangering other people enters the picture, you would think someone would think twice before using this example to justify their diet.

His diet would cause higher blood sugars. His low ones would come from not properly managing the insulin he gives himself.

... So we should give him more pizza?
Is he a Ninja Turtle?! :p

Thanks for the info.. What a weird deal. What doctors are he going to that say he's fine?

The one thing about the article that pisses me off the most is the intro by the writer:

How on earth is this story supposed to be a retort against someone for chiding this sort of diet? Values are obviously going to vary from person to person, but once endangering other people enters the picture, you would think someone would think twice before using this example to justify their diet.
You shouldn't be taking a Vice column as serious hard hitting journalism in the first place. It's an entertainment piece.

Petrie

Banned
... So we should give him more pizza?
Is he a Ninja Turtle?! :p

Thanks for the info.. What a weird deal. What doctors are he going to that say he's fine?

It's entirely possible his A1C and other various bloodwork is coming back fine. That's all an endocrinologist is really going to look at, and if his sugars are running low consistently it makes sense.

The danger of low blood sugar is immediate. Once rectified there's not really a harm long-term. This guy has been lucky.

entremet

But it should be offset by the huge amount of carbs in pizza, otherwise I could become diabetic from those D"

I'm not sure you understand how insulin works in healthy persons.

You're pancreas will already be creating insulin if healthy. Introducing additional insulin is not wise. Geared (steroid using) body builders use insulin in conjuction with other drugs and hormones to attain their otherwordly size. But those are severe outliers and it's not healthy. Pro body builders are known to die pretty early

tokkun

It's a shame at how many people are mad at this man living the dream.

Have you ever had to live with a really picky eater? It's the worst.

I have this co-worker who I traveled to Japan with. We were there on business, so the cost of our meals was covered. Great, right? We can go to a bunch of cool restaurants. Nope. This is one of those guys who will only eat kid food like hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza. I got him to go to a ramen restaurant once, and the rest of the time he just wanted to go to 7-Eleven so he could buy donuts, Kit-Kats, and Coke.

Many of my friends are vegetarian or vegan, and I am willing to put up with the extra restrictions their dietary requirements put on me, because they have a basis in their personal morality. But when it is just a matter of taste, and the person in question demands to only go places that serve the foods they like the most, then that comes off as profoundly selfish.

Petrie

Banned
Many of my friends are vegetarian or vegan, and I am willing to put up with the extra restrictions their dietary requirements put on me, because they have a basis in their personal morality. But when it is just a matter of taste, and the person in question demands to only go places that serve the foods they like the most, then that comes off as profoundly selfish.

This. I'm so tired of being unable to branch out from shitty TGIFriday's and Applebees because my girlfriend's sister won't eat anything but burgers.

This struck the wrong accord for me too. But then again it is VICE. They have to maintain their tough, rebelous, dissident and 'edgy' exterior, reputation somehow.

I guess the morale of the article is simply "You can live your entire life on pizza. Fuck what everybody else thinks!"

The guy has had blackouts on different occasions and is a confirmed diabetic.

Quality journalism at it's finest.

Besides the guy in the article has some difficulty with actually formulating good arguments that support his way of living. But hey, at least it ain't my lifestyle.

Have you ever had to live with a really picky eater? It's the worst.

I have this co-worker who I traveled to Japan with. We were there on business, so the cost of our meals was covered. Great, right? We can go to a bunch of cool restaurants. Nope. This is one of those guys who will only eat kid food like hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza. I got him to go to a ramen restaurant once, and the rest of the time he just wanted to go to 7-Eleven so he could buy donuts, Kit-Kats, and Coke.

You don't have to deal with this guy, so I'm not sure why you would give a shit about what he eats. You're mad that a guy you'll probably never meet is doing something that will never effect you.

I swear if GAF OT had a logo it would be that robot planting the "No Fun Allowed" sign.

I've seen a lot of endocrinologists. Generally if your numbers keep staying good they will tell you to stay the course. They don't want to change what's working. It's really not until something starts to go wrong they encourage changes.

Typical US medicine treating instead of preventing.

I assume that only applies when you have a somewhat sensible diet. No doctor, endocrinologist or otherwise, can seriously believe that just eating pizza is going to keep working and that the person shouldn't change that routine because at this very moment their levels are ok. There are tons and tons of things that are terrible for you that you could probably eat for a while and still have your levels be ok.

tokkun

You don't have to deal with this guy, so I'm not sure why you would give a shit about what he eats. You're mad that a guy you'll probably never meet is doing something that will never effect you.

I swear if GAF OT had a logo it would be that robot planting the "No Fun Allowed" sign.

Seems like my opinion makes you pretty mad.

Luigiv

Why don’t you eat other food?
I used to eat “regular food” like every normal American, but when I was 15 or 16, I made the decision to become a vegetarian based on ethical reasoning. I still loved the taste of meat, and I still love it to this day, but due to my beliefs, I gave it up. That was about 23 years ago. I also hate vegetables.

I... What? How can he can claim to be a vegetarian whilst undoubtedly eating normal cheese made with rennet?

This guy is pretty stupid.

Edit: Key word bolded and linked for those who have no idea what I'm talking about.

.Q.

Neo Member
I wonder if that therapist is actually doing him any good. Almost everyone above a certain age remembers times in their childhood where they didn't want to eat what their parents made. Almost none of them has an eating disorder.

For example, my mom would make huge pots of horrible, grainy pinto beans and bacon (we were poor) once a month or more. I couldn't eat them because they were disgusting and made me gag. But the rule was that I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I cleaned my plate. I would have to stay at the dinner table with the lights off until bedtime. Even though I wanted to make myself eat them, I could never do it. I wuld instantly gag it back up, due to the horrible taste and texture (I get mildly urpy just recalling this, in fact).

I even had another moderately-traumatic incident where my sister and cousins and I split up and ate a dexatrim capsule and had our stomachs pumped, when I was around 7 years old. I didn't develop an eating disorder. I'm not saying it's OK to make your kid clean their plate under threat of punishment--it definitely is not. But it's not exactly abuse, and doesn't necessarily lead to disordered eating.

Jack_AG

Banned
You don't say?
Eating carbs doesn't make you diabetic. Eating an overabundance can but not for everyone. If he regularly has lows like he says - that's not an overabundance, he needs to cut back on his meds or just eat more to offset the drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom