• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
The One and Done™;231581133 said:
What's GAFs consesus? Do you think he was guilty? I was surprised that several of my coworkers, after watching this and or Made in America, believe he didn't murder Nicole or Ron.

He totally did that shit. I go back and forth on whether he should have been found guilty in his trial though.

WillyFive

What's GAFs consesus? Do you think he was guilty? I was surprised that several of my coworkers, after watching this and or Made in America, believe he didn't murder Nicole or Ron.

He murdered them, but if it was the LAPD's years of systematic racism and abuse of the people of LA that set him free. The one time they could have given justice, no one could possibly believe them.

Boney

Banned
Is the verdict so racially divided today? I understand how people would be galvanized on this case, especially after the Furhman revelations. But I wonder if public opinion has changed.

I've always known OJ as the butt of all jokes, so I wasn't aware of how it played out.

This was very good television, and the Katrina follow up should be even more powerful.

Permanently A

Guilty AF

Even disregarding all the evidence what innocent man rides up and down the freeway holding a gun to his head

FrodoYolo

Banned
Is the verdict so racially divided today? I understand how people would be galvanized on this case, especially after the Furhman revelations. But I wonder if public opinion has changed.

I've always known OJ as the butt of all jokes, so I wasn't aware of how it played out.

This was very good television, and the Katrina follow up should be even more powerful.
It's very racially divided still. There was a poll a while back about it.

100% guilty, and his whole crew knew he did it too

That said the defense won the trial. So if that's the way we judge if people committed crimes in the US, then I'm ok with him walking. I think the glove and the tape really helped, but there's no way he was gonna be not guilty if that jury wasn't almost all black.

caliph95

He is no doubt guilty, he was just lucky he got caught during the time he did when the black community had mistrust with the police and that defense team just did a better job than the prosecution. Fuhrman didn't help things either.

Permanently A

Oh SHIT. That scene where the jurors are arguing over whether to watch Marvin or Seinfeld and the black jurors are celebrating because Marvin won and then it cuts to OJ talking about how great Seinfeld is.

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

Even though I was in 3rd/4th grade during the On trial and remember being in the school library during class with students and teachers watching the trial any chance we could. I believe he did it without a doubt. The way the show begins on the L.A. Riots that took place 2 years earlier due to the injustice on the Rodney king beating, it's almost like they were trying to make up for it and gave On an acquittal as a freebie which IMO is a huge insult to everyone both black and white.
Oj was already a big Hollywood white washed celebrity so it may seem like a conspiracy, it was pretty much a win for the 'white justice system' to let him walk.

Watched this over the last 2 days and boy, what a great show. As someone from Europe who was only a few years old when this happened I knew absolutely nothing about it besides the verdict. I really couldn't believe that some of the stuff that happened actually happen, really felt like an Ace Attorney case sometimes.
I'm pretty sure though that he did it but the whole case was just such a mess.
I'll be looking forward to the second series.

I just binged this on Netflix and absolutely loved it. I was only around 11 years old when the this all went down, so a lot of it was lost to me back then.

Even when I was a kid during this I always thought he was guilty. I was too young to recognize the racial implications (I'm black btw), but it just seemed like he did it. My opinion has not changed, he seems guilty as hell.

dLMN8R

I think O.J. is guilty.

I also think the verdict was completely fair.

The LAPD, during the O.J. case, had noble intentions, and well-meaning people, but those people were either ignorant of or oblivious to the LAPD's notorious racial history. They then failed to competently make the case for O.J.'s guilt, especially through the use of obviously tainted witnesses like Fuhrman.

LordRaptor

Really entertaining show that kept the nod-nod-wink-wink of retrospect to a minimum, outside of that hilarious "We're Kardashians. That means more than just being famous" bit.

As to whether he did it...

33kCf7i.gif

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
recently seen this show. Top notch, I have to say. I was only 10 when this went down and could only remember der chase and the verdict (living in europe). Didnt knew it was that much of a clusterfuck. Holy shit.

Anyway, what would be the best documentary about the case? Really would like to see more about this, with the actual people ionstead of actors.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyway, what would be the best documentary about the case? Really would like to see more about this, with the actual people ionstead of actors.

I haven't seen it, but O.J.: Made in America won the Oscar for best documentary and made a bunch of Top 10 lists last year.

So I decided to watch this show today with my brother. We watched until the middle of episode 3, next week we'll continue.

Ok so first of all, this show/documentary is quite highly praised right? So far it's just interesting to me but nothing that makes me say "good lord, this is quite something."

And that's mostly because of two things so far, the acting by some people. Never thought I'd say it but I don't dig Cuba's acting at all in these first 2.5 episodes. I wouldn't go as far as to call it bad or cheesy but the overacting of him is quite annoying at times. Or did OJ actually behave like that back then?

Second, I have to admit I didn't follow this at all in the 90s but whenever OJ is brought up it seems to be the general consensus that he did it without any doubt, because the evidence apparently was crystal clear, yet he was aquitted. So with that in mind I find the scenes in these first few episodes where Cuba as OJ acting as if he's the victim and absolutely genuinely grieving about his ex wife rather odd. The way he is played here they clearly want me to sympathize with him.

Yet when I see the real footage of him in court he has that ice cold look and Cuba not at all really. I'm asking this pretty late, but better late than never I guess but why actually do so many people seem 100% sure of his guilt?

Aurongel

I wanted to bump this as I just finished the series with my girlfriend. The actor portraying Chris Darden had me fucking shook during multiple scenes. I wasn't surprised one bit to see him earn an Emmy for it.

"You wanted a black face but never a black voice".

Damn. I said damn.

Top Bottom