• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Didn't know there was a thread on this, but yeah, this shit rocked.

One of the most amazing things about this, I think, is how closely it followed reality. For anything to be both "based on a true story" and be great, it usually has to embellish a fuck ton and create drama where none existed, but from my understanding, this all followed reality really closely. You can see a lot of footage relating to the trial and then see the corresponding scene with almost the exact same dialogue in the show!

I'm on the third episode. Holy shit, Shapiro is fucking devious. I'm at the scene where he's playing the reporter from the New Yorker.

Lol, "motherfucker"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What a hell of a show. Just finished it. I truly hope the next season can keep this consistent level of quality.

I barely remember much of my childhood when this happend. Just fragments. I remember my dad being excited about the outcome but my mom less so and it just being on the tip of everyone's tongue for the year. I barely knew what was going on most of the time but I remember things about it vividly. The bronco chase, the haircut commentary, the hitler and the verdict. Crazy time to be a little kid (around 6/7 years old, so 1st grade).

I'm on episode 4. Man. I felt bad for Nicole and Marcia in this episode. I mean, Nicole is dead, but their stomping all over her memory. Oh and Connie Briton, LOL. And that scene with Ron's dad was pretty powerful.

Oh Shapiro, you stupid motherfucker hahahaha. John Travolta is a gold turd, amazing.

They sound have said "Bob, you're white as a ghost. You don't know shit about black people."

Fucking Travolta in his Hawaiian shirt hahaha

Deadline with some details on S2:

- Stars To Realign For 'American Crime Story' Katrina Tale, Producers Confirm
Many of the original cast of American Crime Story‘s debut season—The People v. O.J. Simpson—are expected to reassemble for the next chapter in the Ryan Murphy-produced anthology show. Producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson confirm to AwardsLine that writers went to New Orleans last week on a research trip for Season 2, which will tell of the American response to Hurricane Katrina. And O.J.‘s Marcia Clark, Sarah Paulson, says she fully intends to return to the series. “The Katrina story, to me, is a literal American crime,” Paulson explains. “It says something about a uniquely American attitude, and I find it incredibly potent.”
In the case of Katrina, that means examining the neglect and disparity of care that followed the storm’s landfall on August 25 2005. “To explore these things from a character foundation, and to revel in the shades of grey—to explore moments in which there’s a disparity between the way our country wants to see itself and the way we actually are— that’s been a really inspiring perspective for us.”

Adds Jacobson: “It’s a very different story to O.J., but we’re optimistic that if we dive deep and focus on great characters, we can have another great season of television.”

Those characters will differ from the denizens of the O.J. case, because there weren’t so many ‘breakout stars’ in the wake of Katrina. “But the one thing it has in common with O.J.,” notes Brad Simpson, “is that America stopped and watched this thing happen, and it exposed some truths that maybe we didn’t want exposed. Things we didn’t want to admit to ourselves about this country.”

The plan—as with Ryan Murphy’s other anthology series American Horror Story and Scream Queens—is to encourage as many of the cast from The People v. O.J. Simpson back as schedules allow. John Travolta, who flew to Louisiana after Katrina to assist in the rescue effort, has already expressed his interest, and Paulson says now that she’s in too.
More via the link.

TVexperto

Kinda wish they would recast everyone ... one of the reasons S1 was fantastic was the almost perfect casting of everyone involved (except OJ)

Krejlooc

Banned
Kinda wish they would recast everyone ... one of the reasons S1 was fantastic was the almost perfect casting of everyone involved (except OJ)

I felt like Cuba acted like OJ pretty well. His problem was that he didn't look or sound like OJ. But he acted just like him, his vocal patterns, his inflections, etc.

Jumeira

Banned
OJ victory at the end felt hollow, everyone around him knew he did it, it was really hard to watch this man pretend everything was the same. I was actually depressed he wasn't locked away, I can't imagine how Brown/Goldman felt. I love how the show remains objective and sticks to facts, doesn't skew the show in one way or the other.

I'm not American, but does everyone now think he did it?

Great show, me and my wife were glued, we started looking things up at the end of every episode to see how exaggerated things were, but they arnt. Blown away at alot of things, the Glove episode is some of the best written TV I've seen. Amazing stuff.

- THR: 'American Crime Story' Team Discusses 'Katrina' and Split 'O.J.' Viewer Reactions to Verdict
A few hours after FX chief John Landgraf confirmed Tuesday that the theme of American Horror Story's sixth installment won't be revealed before the premiere, American Crime Story producers kept pretty mum about what to expect from their follow-up to The People v. O.J. Simpson.

But executive producer Brad Simpson, returning for FX's upcoming examination of Hurricane Katrina, did not leave the Television Critics Association's summer press tour crowd completely hanging Tuesday afternoon.

"There's a writers room right now, working on Katrina," he said. " We're just starting to get the episodes in. I'm sadly not going to make any big news, but you will have the famous people. You will also have the people who weren't famous. ... It's going to be about the intensity of what it was like to be there on the ground — and also the bigger crime, that Katrina was something that was predictable."

Simpson described Katrina as "tonally and thematically incredibly differently" and said that, "Like O.J., it turns the lens on America." That was about it, though he did intimate that some of the actors from American Crime Story would be returning. (None are confirmed for the project.)

- IGN: Executive producer Brad Simpson updates plans for a second installment of American Crime Story.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘American Crime Story’ Renewed By FX For Season 3

The new 10-episode installment will be Versace/Cunanan and will examine the shocking July 1997 assassination of legendary designer Gianni Versace on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion by sociopath and serial killer Andrew Cunanan, who eight days later killed himself in a house boat as the Miami Dade police force moved in to capture him. Versace was his fifth and final victim.

Versace/Cunanan will film virtually simultaneously with the second American Crime Story installment, Katrina, in early 2017. I hear that was not planned but happened when FX and Fox 21 executives read Smith’s first script and were so impressed, a decision was made to accelerate production on Season 3. Katrina, about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, will still air first, followed by Versace/Cunanan.

Can we still talk about this? I just watched 6 episodes in two days and I could seriously watch the other 4 right now, but I just need to reflect on how good that was. I mean, the first episode I'm like "wtf? No. Travolta, Nathan Lane just playing these caricatures....this can't be good", but god dammit do they deliver. Marcia Clarke is one of the most well realised characters I could ever imagine, and Johnny. I mean, it makes you hate the defence sooo much, but somehow you're kind of rooting for them just because it feels like "nah, they can't really get him acquitted".

And, I mean, I know a lot of people on this site weren't even alive while this was happening, but all these scenes with people just gathered around their TV's looking flabbergasted at the whole thing, was something I remember so well. I remember some testimonies being all we would talk about on the playground in like 4th-5th grade. I love that they have those moments in there that were like...no matter what happens here this was literally something that brought people together...even if they didn't agree on the underlying premise of any of it, we just watched....so yeah, watching that is really weird.

Anyway, great show. Just watch it if you haven't yet.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 2 has been delayed til 2018 so they can further develop the script.

Landgraf revealed that the Katrina edition has been pushed until 2018 for creative reasons. “We had developed People v. O.J. and we had material in really good shape ready to go,” the exec explained. “We had scripts we were really excited about. We have really high ambitions for this. It’s about character and larger themes. It’s just taking time, frankly, to get material we’re happy with.

“Also, when you’re shooting in New Orleans, you have to worry about hurricanes,” Landgraf added. “You can only shoot there during certain times of the year.”

As a result of the delay, the Katrina and Versace installments will “air within about six months of each other” in 2018, said Landgraf. “We’ll end up having a long hiatus and then we’ll get back on cycle.”

Source

Socivol

OJ victory at the end felt hollow, everyone around him knew he did it, it was really hard to watch this man pretend everything was the same. I was actually depressed he wasn't locked away, I can't imagine how Brown/Goldman felt. I love how the show remains objective and sticks to facts, doesn't skew the show in one way or the other.

I'm not American, but does everyone now think he did it?

Great show, me and my wife were glued, we started looking things up at the end of every episode to see how exaggerated things were, but they arnt. Blown away at alot of things, the Glove episode is some of the best written TV I've seen. Amazing stuff.

I'm pretty sure most people would've thought he did it had the case played out normally. Mark Fuhrman really sunk the case when he refused to answer if he planted any evidence and the LAPD did a terrible job with handling evidence. It's pretty obvious that he did it but the way the case played out left enough doubt that he couldn't have gotten convicted. Even watching the show I was like "he totally did this" but I would've voted not guilty as well.

dLMN8R

I'm JK :-D

I absolutely loved the series and finished watching it before it hit Netflix anyway. I just thought it was funny that it was announced to be coming to Netflix a week after I bought it.

LionPride

Banned
Man what the fuck, I love this, it's really fucking good, but these black jurors can go to hell.

Goddamn!

I get the racial tension, but damn it that old black woman makes me so upset

I love seeing Kardashian go through the change of not believing O.J. did it to not seeing who the hell else could do it twas nice

Sterling K. Brown's portrayal of Deardan is sublime

Sarah Paulson is amazing

Courtney B. Vance is dope

Cuba ain't the best actor, but I believed him after a while

Just really good

Now gotta find a way to watch the 30 for 30 doc

Watching this is making me angry. The incompetence is staggering.

It really did seem like the prosecution, the cops, and jury were all competing with each other on who could be the biggest moron.

And the less said about Judge Ito, the better.

Excellent series, but holy shit was I furious after watching it. Really hope a later season covers Simpson's robbery case. Would be great catharsis.

For UK folks, OJ: Made in America, a Storyville documentary is on the BBC iPlayer. 3 episodes. First two are 3 hours long, and the last is about an hour and a half.

Excellent documentary.

So Fox news thought it was a good idea to hire a racist police officer?
I yelled very much out loud "OF COURSE THEY DID" when I read that the racist piece of shit KKK supporter ended up as a Fox News commentator.

The only person to end up with criminal charges for the OJ Trial works for Fox News.

Perfect.

Permanently A

Wow. WOOOOOW.

The way they're co-opting the LAPD's racist history as a defense for OJ is genuinely infuriating. And this Cochran guy makes me so goddamn mad. Like, he's fighting the good fight but utterly blind to realizing he's getting played. Fuck.

Wow. WOOOOOW.

The way they're co-opting the LAPD's racist history as a defense for OJ is genuinely infuriating. And this Cochran guy makes me so goddamn mad. Like, he's fighting the good fight but utterly blind to realizing he's getting played. Fuck.
eh, johnny cochran knew exactly what he was doing.

Permanently A

eh, johnny cochran knew exactly what he was doing.

Maybe in real life, I didn't grow up with the OJ case. But in the show so far, it seems like he's just fully aware of the LAPD's treatment of blacks and wanting to give OJ the benefit of the doubt. I'll see how far he takes it but he's only just joined the defense.

edit: alright I would have dipped when Bob said "these people." Seems a little willfully ignorant of Cochran to stay on board.

I yelled very much out loud "OF COURSE THEY DID" when I read that the racist piece of shit KKK supporter ended up as a Fox News commentator.

The only person to end up with criminal charges for the OJ Trial works for Fox News.

Perfect.

Really says a lot about Fox News.

Just finished this the other day. So good. One thing that I appreciated was the sound track. I was in high school when this was going on, and there were a couple of times a song would come on, and I would loose my shit because it take me back.

RedRum

Banned
Watched the entire thing in one weekend. Loved it. Still gets me at how crazy the prosecution was but fuck, that cop with the tapes literally fucked them. Those tapes were fucking disgusting.

Maybe in real life, I didn't grow up with the OJ case. But in the show so far, it seems like he's just fully aware of the LAPD's treatment of blacks and wanting to give OJ the benefit of the doubt. I'll see how far he takes it but he's only just joined the defense.

edit: alright I would have dipped when Bob said "these people." Seems a little willfully ignorant of Cochran to stay on board.
Even in the show you can see Cochran's willful manipulation of the event.

PaulBizkit

Necro?
bump

There was a thread the other day about a rare "IF I DID IT" book being auctioned and, talking about how OJ most probably has CTE got me interested in this show again.

So, last night, I watched the last episode again (i finished the series last july) to focus a bit more on the aftermath of the trial on OJ's life.

The sense of loneliness in OJ's life was done excellently. He returned to world that now hates him and he knew it; he felt alone and abandoned; and the last scene of OJ standing in front of his statue in his back yard, taking refuge on his football memories, it was so depressing...

The piano playing at the end was great too. The last image being nicole and ron's pictures was very touching, almost like saying "OK, everybody got to live their lives and life goes on, except for them. Never forget, that underneath racism, crime, police corruption and celebrity immunity, two people died and justice wasn't served".

I'm more interested now in knowing how OJ lived after this trial...

Linius

This show popped up on the Dutch Netflix the other day. Think I'm finally gonna check this out. One of the few FX series I haven't gotten around yet.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Necro?
bump

There was a thread the other day about a rare "IF I DID IT" book being auctioned and, talking about how OJ most probably has CTE got me interested in this show again.

So, last night, I watched the last episode again (i finished the series last july) to focus a bit more on the aftermath of the trial on OJ's life.

The sense of loneliness in OJ's life was done excellently. He returned to world that now hates him and he knew it; he felt alone and abandoned; and the last scene of OJ standing in front of his statue in his back yard, taking refuge on his football memories, it was so depressing...

The piano playing at the end was great too. The last image being nicole and ron's pictures was very touching, almost like saying "OK, everybody got to live their lives and life goes on, except for them. Never forget, that underneath racism, crime, police corruption and celebrity immunity, two people died and justice wasn't served".

I'm more interested now in knowing how OJ lived after this trial...

Then you need to watch Made in America: OJ Simpson. I also watched The People v. OJ Simpson a few weeks ago and quickly followed up with the documentary I just suggested. It's split into three parts totaling over 7.5 hours but it's well worth it. After the second part you get an idea of what he did following the trial, leading all the way up to his second arrest as a result of the incident in Florida.

I don't have sympathy for him. He's a murderous piece of shit. I understand why the jury voted the way it did, even if they believed he killed Nicole and Ron, because at the time the Rodney King incident had just taken place and there was a lot of turmoil between the black community and law enforcement. It was more of a protest vote for all the suffering black people had endured at the hands of cops and the justice system. That's how I interpreted it.

What's GAFs consesus? Do you think he was guilty? I was surprised that several of my coworkers, after watching this and or Made in America, believe he didn't murder Nicole or Ron.

PaulBizkit

Then you need to watch Made in America: OJ Simpson. I also watched The People v. OJ Simpson a few weeks ago and quickly followed up with the documentary I just suggested. It's split into three parts totaling over 7.5 hours but it's well worth it. After the second part you get an idea of what he did following the trial, leading all the way up to his second arrest as a result of the incident in Florida.

I don't have sympathy for him. He's a murderous piece of shit. I understand why the jury voted the way it did, even if they believed he killed Nicole and Ron, because at the time the Rodney King incident had just taken place and there was a lot of turmoil between the black community and law enforcement. It was more of a protest vote for all the suffering black people had endured at the hands of cops and the justice system. That's how I interpreted it.

Yes, i need to see that documentary. I heard it was nominated for an oscar!

The One and Done™;231581133 said:
What's GAFs consesus? Do you think he was guilty? I was surprised that several of my coworkers, after watching this and or Made in America, believe he didn't murder Nicole or Ron.

Guilty af, no doubt about it. Especially when you take into account that OJ must be suffering from CTE, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in athletes with a history of repeated brain traumas (check it https://www.bu.edu/cte/about/what-is-cte/, it's horrible though).

Top Bottom