• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

ZoddGutts

You'd be shocked at how many people thought he was innocent back then compared to today when everyone's like "No shit OJ did it".. That's not how it was in 1995 at all.

Heh, I was in elementary school when it happened. My 5th grade teacher had the TV on the channel during the verdict and she was upset that he was announced not guilty. I remember I was happy for some reason. lol I think it was because I liked OJ in the naked gun movies.

stressboy

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy

I was 18 and in college when the verdict came in. They setup TVs all over campus to show it. Back then, more people seemed to believe he was innocent than they do now, so there was a lot of cheering from everyone, myself included. And no, I do not still believe he was innocent.

stressboy

Also was that line that OJ said he was gonna pursue the real killer actually happened? I guess he never got around to that, did he?

LOL, yeah he really did say that. It didn't take long before people started making jokes that he was hunting for the real killers on some of America's finest golf courses.

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy

I was in 5th or 6th grade. I didn't care much about the trial but I do remember the day the verdict came through. The principal announced on the PA system that he was not guilty and everybody just started going wild like we had won the lottery. I remember having a fine ass teacher and seeing her happy made me happy =)

glow

Banned
I love that they used the song 'Everybody' at OJ's party after the verdict. The chorus is "Sad and free" over and over again 😂

Robert K didn't seem happy at all. :/

Obligatory:

2P2KWbH.jpg

Corpsepyre

Banned
What an incredible show. I was aware of OJ and the case, but never knew the insides of it. This was really compelling.

Griffe316

Was 14 didn't care about the racial stuff thought he was innocent because he was a football player and they could never do something like that, man was I dumb.....
of course he did it

Curufinwe

Thanks for all the links throughout the season, Cornballer. It makes following the post-show commentary much easier for us.

The final image really made me sad. I wish they had lingered on it for a little longer before going into a promo.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the...p-season-1-episode-10-the-verdict-1201744564/

Karaszewski: It was very important to us, I think, that the last image in the entire series is of Ron and Nicole. I had someone come up to me and say, “I’ve never cried before in the ‘whatever happened to’ section of a movie.” You hear about how these other people managed to live their lives and have all these other things happen to them, and it comes right down to Ron and Nicole. They didn’t get to have a future.

Ovid

It was well shot, well casted, and nicely paced, but it's not like they had to turn an average true story into something over the top. This shit actually happened. Tiny bits were exaggerated for effect, somethings actually lessened! It wrote itself.

Anytime I find cheaply made documentaries on the trial on the various lousy cable channels that exist, I still find myself watching it.

Fuuuuuuuck, saw this on Twitter:

CfVDGuQVIAI04jt.jpg

oooooooh shiiiiit.

Haha, that's funny.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also was that line that OJ said he was gonna pursue the real killer actually happened? I guess he never got around to that, did he?

Think OJ wrote out that speech, but I believe his son is the one to actually read it to the public.

Remembered the one old joke of "he finds the killer every time he looks into the mirror".

strafer

those reactions they showed of people were real footage right? it seemed too good to be manufactured in a computer.

Seeing Cochran cry as President Clinton spoke was eye opening. You could see why Bill was seen as understanding black plight right there. That you don't get what this case meant to black people because you aren't black.

Grinchy

Banned
Talking about real footage vs the show, there was an episode early on that cracked me up. OJ was heading back to his house after the chase. In the show, a huge crowd of people were running up to the car and slowing its movement. I thought, "There's no way the cops would let people run up to the car with a gun-wielding psychopath in the back seat, right?"

Then, sure enough, they cut to a short clip of the actual footage, and not a single person is on the street.

BFIB

My god, this show is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I really did not think I would care for it going in, but I absolutely love the tone that was set. I also like how they built Cochran to use this trial to get his own vindication for justice, and then you find out at the end why Marcia took this so personally too.

Cuba also really nailed the tone at the end. OJ was free, but the world he thought he'd go back to was gone.

And kudos to the last shot, and the notice that OJ is up for parole next year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Excellent show. They really surprised me because the promo trailers made this look laughably bad. But the writing actually handled the subject matter well, and there were so many amazing acting performances. This show deserves to clean up during award season. Since it's a miniseries, I don't imagine it will have much trouble.

I was 10 when this all went down and remember watching the Bronco chase live on TV, thinking the trial went on forever, and finally being shocked that they found him not guilty. Great series, can't wait for the ESPN documentary on OJ.

Kopite

Man the entire epilogue sequences after the trial, goddamn. Especially with OJ at the party and basically nobody or nobodies cheering him on.

And good on the show for ending with Simpson and Brown. Maybe it was just how the show portrayed the case or maybe even how the trial turned out but it never really felt like it was about them.

You mean Brown and Goldman? Man, everyone did seem to forget about him didn't they? :(

Man, this show is too unbelievable. You're telling me that in the face of ALL of that evidence they let him go?

That shit would never happen in real life.

Just finished it.

I feel that same sadness that I do when I finally finish a Zelda game. I'm going to miss this so much. I smiled at OJ's epilogue.

Paulson, Brown, and Vance are absolutely my favorite performances this year so far.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Jesus, using the very real problem of racism in law enforcement to get a rich guy off for murder.

I don't see how Cochran could swallow the shit sandwich he made of this case.

What a show. Such an entertaining engrossing show about racism, the legal system, and the power of celebrity. Such wonderful performances, great needle drops, great direction that gave it a unique look without feeling manic like I feared after the first episode

Good shit

Ratings numbers from Adalian:
Finale of #ThePeopleVsOJSimpson scored 3.3M viewers/1.2 A18-49. Among millennials, it was the No. 1 show on all of TV Tuesday.

Also: #ThePeopleVsOJSimpson will come close to tripling its A18-49 audience once a week of DVR replays are baked in and across all platforms (VOD, replays, et al), #ThePeopleVsOJSimpson has been reaching roughly 13M viewers each week.
So while this show didn't blow up on GAF, there are a lot of people watching. Let's hope the quality continues with future seasons.

-griffy-

Banned
Ratings numbers from Adalian:So while this show didn't blow up on GAF, there are a lot of people watching. Let's hope the quality continues with future seasons.

I wonder if the audience will carry over or if it will be more dependent on the given subject of a season.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't know how I could be a lawyer for someone so obviously guilty and be able to live with myself.

Anyways, excellent series with a few hiccups. I remember the highlights of the trial (I was 10) so it's nice that this filled in the gaps.

Lengthy look at the finale and series from the LA Review of Books:

- American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson: Season 1

I wonder if the audience will carry over or if it will be more dependent on the given subject of a season.
Will be interesting to see. Just about everyone of a certain age and older remembers the OJ case vividly, so it makes sense that a lot of people would want to tune in. Next season benefits from the fact that S1 was great, but I'd guess the subject matter won't be as familiar and enticing for most.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just finished the finale. One of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen. Every single episode was amazing in my opinion. Some of the best performances I've seen in a very long time. Especially Courtney Vance, Sterling Brown and Sarah Paulson. I absolutely loved Cuba's performance too. I don't care that he didn't look or sound anything like O.J. Didn't matter to me. When he was on the screen, he was OJ.

That final shot of Brown and Goldman hit me in the feels hard man. Also how they handled OJ's early fall from grace after the verdict was great.

I'd give the entire season a 10/10. Straight up Masterpiece.

I was a bit skeptical about ESPN's OJ documentary since I felt "June 12, 1994" was a good, more or less objective look into sports on that day and now that he's in the conversation again I thought it'd be a cash in of sorts, but Marcia Clark in that Vulture discussion seemed to really like it so looking forward to that a bit more now.

I was a bit skeptical about ESPN's OJ documentary since I felt "June 12, 1994" was a good, more or less objective look into sports on that day and now that he's in the conversation again I thought it'd be a cash in of sorts, but Marcia Clark in that Vulture discussion seemed to really like it.

It's fantastic

Just finished the finale. One of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen. Every single episode was amazing in my opinion. Some of the best performances I've seen in a very long time. Especially Courtney Vance, Sterling Brown and Sarah Paulson. I absolutely loved Cuba's performance too. I don't care that he didn't look or sound anything like O.J. Didn't matter to me. When he was on the screen, he was OJ.

That final shot of Brown and Goldman hit me in the feels hard man. Also how they handled OJ's early fall from grace after the verdict was great.

I'd give the entire season a 10/10. Straight up Masterpiece.

I think what surprises me about the show, away from the narrative, is it does something, in my opinion, few dramas tend to achieve: it just got better for me. It elevated itself above its premise and had genuinely great writing as each episode went on.

Which isn't to say every other drama falls flat by comparison or this is the best thing since sliced bread. Most of the time as long as a show can be consistent I'm more or less okay with it. I think this particular series was almost defiant about it in a way. It tried, and when a show tries to be good I give it its due props.

I remember the first episode or two I dinged it because it seemed like I was in store for a Lifetime-level dramatization. Some of the writing did that biopic-y thing of having its characters be either weirdly clairvoyant about the lasting impact of their story or saying something in which we ironically know how it turns out (which, as an aside, what bugged me a bit about Straight Outta Compton which I liked regardless). But every further episode I felt it wanted to get better and it did, knowing it had to not only capture the facts of this insane thing that actually happened, but humanize and give each individual perspective.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Great finale, great series.

I love Ito getting the call about the jury.

The country shut down for the verdict. I'm sure someone at some point did some fun calculations about the loss of productivity. My 6th grade class stopped, and we went out into the hall along with other classes to watch it on a TV.

I was 2nd or 3rd grade. It was just everywhere. And adults wouldn't shut up about it. OJ, Jon Benet Ramsey, and Oklahoma City were the huge event crimes of my childhood.
The 90s were filled were tawdry court spectacles. I remember Amy Fisher being a huge story that was everywhere. The Lorena Bobbitt stuff. Of course everything to do with Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky kinda fits in there too, in terms of being a massive spectacle that enraptured the public.

The Oklahoma City bombing was a huge deal too, although obviously in a different way. That was really the event that made me start paying attention to the news.

The show used his statement almost verbatim, but he didn't read it himself.

He did find time to co-write that If I Did It book however...

Dalek

Incredible finale to a great show. I almost cried when Chris hugged the Goldmans. I can't imagine how that must have felt.

Top Bottom