• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Saya

Great show and final. Loved the little "what happened to person x" at the end. I was surprised how spot-on the casting was. The only one that seemed off was Cuba Gooding Jr. I guess. I always found him a bit too physically small. OJ was a pretty big guy seeing those old photos. Anyway, his performance was still ace.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
By far the best thing Murphy has ever done
absolutely blown away by this series, cannot wait to see what they do with katrina

This fucking show! I'm on episode 8 and it's so enthralling. There is just enough trashiness to fit this shitshow of a trial. I lost my mind at seeing the camera cut to the jurors names. The Demon hahaaha.

Also, Cochran's "nigger please" was like watching a man get murdered on television. If I was live watching it I would've had to break out the Simpsons "already dead" gif in this thread.

FafaFooey

I can't remember the last time I was so incredibly fascinated with a tv show. This was an amazing ride and making this so compelling while probably every viewer knows the outcome, is a great achievement. Truly top of the bill acting and I loved seeing John Travolta back in the game.

Can anyone recommend a OJ trail documentary? There's several on YouTube with "The Untold Story" and "Trial of the Century" being the most prominent..

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I like how the Jason Simpson scenes near the end can be interpreted as either innocent or sinister, since one of the most common conspiracy theories is that OJ's son had something to do with the murders.

It's stuff like that where I'm thoroughly impressed with this show. All the major touchstones they chose to address were handled in such a clever and entertaining way.

Read up on Katrina other day and holy shit it's really good material for a miniseries. I hope they do it justice. I wonder which time period it'll begin at.

Great finale. I only wished Kardashian confronted OJ as the payoff scene. I was really looking forward to it :(

Anyways great show. Anyone think Michael Jackson's trial would make a good S2 or 3?

Haxan

Banned
Great finale. I only wished Kardashian confronted OJ as the payoff scene. I was really looking forward to it :(

Anyways great show. Anyone think Michael Jackson's trial would make a good S2 or 3?

Someone mentioned Jonbenet Ramsey and now I want that.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Ugh, Lionel Cryer's salute is so cringeworthy.

It's like, oh yeah dude, you totally put one on the board for black rights. Rodney King's shade can rest easy now that a murdering prick gets to walk.

So what are my options for watching/buying the series now that it's over? My parents are now interested in watching all of it and I've seen all but the last 2 episodes but I deleted the rest on my DVR out of habit. I know three options in order from most to least convenient:

1. Log into FXNow and stream to my TV
2. Buy it all on Amazon Instant Video [and watch it disappear in a decade (not a fan of digital purchases)]
3. Buy it when it released on Blu-ray in the next aeon (why do TV shows take so long to release on BR?)

Anything else? How the hell does FXNow even work - log in with my cable info and the whole series is available? How long?

So what are my options for watching/buying the series now that it's over? My parents are now interested in watching all of it and I've seen all but the last 2 episodes but I deleted the rest on my DVR out of habit. I know three options in order from most to least convenient:

1. Log into FXNow and stream to my TV
2. Buy it all on Amazon Instant Video [and watch it disappear in a decade (not a fan of digital purchases)]
3. Buy it when it released on Blu-ray in the next aeon (why do TV shows take so long to release on BR?)

Anything else? How the hell does FXNow even work - log in with my cable info and the whole series is available? How long?
One option:
Attention all you #PeoplevsOJSimpson stragglers: @fx will air a marathon of the entire 10-episode series Saturday starting at 2 p.m. ET/PT.
FX Now has it all with a cable login, too.

I liked this part in particular: "All the people saw is how well you can twist the system. This isn't some civil rights milestone. The police in this country will keep arresting us, keep beating us, keep killing us. You haven't changed anything for black people here — unless, of course, you're a famous, rich one in Brentwood."

Vyer

Finished the finale. Just an outstanding show. Completely shocked with how good it ended up being.

I liked this part in particular: "All the people saw is how well you can twist the system. This isn't some civil rights milestone. The police in this country will keep arresting us, keep beating us, keep killing us. You haven't changed anything for black people here — unless, of course, you're a famous, rich one in Brentwood."

What I liked so much about the closing with Darden/Cochran and Cochran in his office is that they are both true in their own way. Show did such a good job of weaving the complexities of the situation into the characters.

I absolutely loved Darden's parting line to Cochran.

I didn't at first. It sounded like Darden not seeing the trees and only seeing the forest. Which makes sense because he was rightfully angry for how that went down.

Like it or not, the OJ trial, like the Rodney King case, helped show how divided the country is, and further showed how little trust black people have in the LAPD. In police.

It was (hell still is) enough to warp cases.

Despite that, the OJ trial helped further push the narrative of discrimination via police.

But then the scene right after happened, which showed exactly what I just said. Pretty balanced if you ask me.

Yeah, it was balanced well by that, but ultimately I think Darden's line was borne out more truthfully over time. Rodney King was a moment because it was truthful, and it'll always be meaningful because of it. But answering LAPD injustice with OJ injustice doesn't really make a great civil rights case historically.

And considering the events of the last couple years, it's clear to see that Bill can talk all he wants, but nothing has really changed. The OJ case mostly showed that wealth and fame trumps race. It's ultimately a pretty disturbing message, not a hopeful one.

Prompto

Banned
Planned on only watching the first episode last night before bed. Ended up watching 6 and finishing the rest just now. Great series. Much better than I ever expected.

- Deadline: ‘The People V. O.J. Simpson’ Finale Ratings Juiced In Live + 3 Results
The almost final verdict is in on the finale of American Crime Story: The People V. O.J. Simpson – and it is bigger than ever. With 6.2 million total viewers in Live + 3 results and 3.3 million among adults 18-49, the Nina Jacobson, Ryan Murphy and Brad Fulchuk EP’d show is the most watched new series in FX’s history in both categories.

Compared to the Live + Same Day results of the April 5 80-minute Murphy directed episode, the Live + 3 results are up 88% in viewership and 94% in the key demo.

tomtom94

Bumping this because I live in the UK and we were a couple of weeks behind - finale just aired.

It's funny. I didn't really have a reason to like it - I literally have no memory of it, the OJ trial was a bit too early for me. And I really wasn't expecting this show to be good.

So with that premise and that casting, this show is basically on a mission to remind everyone how long ago the 90s were...

But that's what made it work. In fact, I honestly think that the casting of Schwimmer, Travolta and Gooding Jr (because, let's face it, they don't really look all that like who they're playing) is a subconscious way of putting people's minds in that time period. And it works. It nails the feel of the time period, puts you there, hooks you every time. (Some more successfully than others, it has to be said)

And to do all that and to simultaneously get most of it eerily accurate, and touch upon issues that are still painfully relevant today, and to deliver some of the best acting I've seen in ages (Paulson and Vance might as well collect their Emmys now)...

Not sure if it's just because of my lowered expectations, but this was truly astonishing. Can't wait to see what they can do with series 2.

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy
Shit was wild. My black/(some) latino friends went nuts. My white friends not so much. Shit really had folks divided. Fuhrman is a racist fuckstick who made everything else disappear..it really was a circus.

Oh, fuck FOX News for hiring that pile of excrement..birds of a feather.

Dahbomb

I was a kid when this happened and I lived in another country. I knew about it vaguely and knew about the final verdict but never knew why there was such a big deal over it.

This is probably not an accurate representation of the events as there's some clear dramatization but man it had me at the edge of my seat throughout despite knowing the outcome.

When Johnny Cochran leaned over to tell his opponent "***** please" I let out the biggest "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh" in my life.

So do reasonable people here think OJ did it or nah?

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy
I was in a well-integrated high school at that time and there was pretty bad racial tension that day. I remember having an argument with my black friend who planned on rioting with some of the kids who were ready for things to go off if OJ was found guilty.

The defense did a good job in putting the LAPD on trial and making it a referendum on race and the justice system. It really felt to many that a guilty verdict would've been perpetuating social injustice, at the time.

They played the verdict on the radio in class, and as soon as the clerk said "not guilty" a black girl stood up and said "WE COMIN UP!" And I just remember feeling like... Setting an obviously guilty man free was the salient thing, and black people in general weren't benefitting at all. Not that I could see, anyway. And I was really taken aback at the feeling of being at odds with my black classmates. I had never been on the opposite side of any issue with them, ever. Felt like shit. But it blew over and we were all back to smoking weed together soon enough. :p

The Beard

I was a kid when this happened and I lived in another country. I knew about it vaguely and knew about the final verdict but never knew why there was such a big deal over it.

This is probably not an accurate representation of the events as there's some clear dramatization but man it had me at the edge of my seat throughout despite knowing the outcome.

When Johnny Cochran leaned over to tell his opponent "***** please" I let out the biggest "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh" in my life.

So do reasonable people here think OJ did it or nah?

I'd bet everything I own that he killed Ron and Nicole. Guaran-fucking-teed. I never understood how he was found not guilty with all of that evidence against him (I was only around 7 years old and obviously wasn't paying much attention to the trial) but this show did an excellent job explaining everything. I now understand why/how he got away with murder, but he's still guilty as fuck.

wow wow wow, just finished this show

I was only a baby/toddler when this happened so the only things I knew was from cultural osmosis(the glove and the famous quote, the racial divide, and of course the verdict itself)

After almost every episode I had to go online to check and see if what it depicted actually happened; the 4 hour deliberation, OJ on the highway, The Furhman(shouldn't be surprised he became a commentator on Fox News) tapes and plot twist with the judge's wife being on the tape, absolute insanity every where.

If this was fiction people would be calling it bullshit, must've be quite a time to be alive(well old enough to remember) during this trial.

I just began the show, just finished the first episode. Very compelling. Great performances and production values.

I'll have more thoughts as I keep watching over the next week, but this is a really great opening.

The only problem? Sarah Paulsen's hair. Amazingly gorgeous woman saddled with that awful hairdo. Who did she piss off to have that done. I mean, I know the real person had that hairdo.... but still.

Edit: even knowing the real life outcome, this show has such an interesting sense of tension.

GavinGT

Banned
I just began the show, just finished the first episode. Very compelling. Great performances and production values.

I'll have more thoughts as I keep watching over the next week, but this is a really great opening.

The only problem? Sarah Paulsen's hair. Amazingly gorgeous woman saddled with that awful hairdo. Who did she piss off to have that done. I mean, I know the real person had that hairdo.... but still.

LOL you'll feel ashamed of your words and deeds as you keep watching. Her hair became as major focus and a large reason people disliked her.

Dalek

Edit: even knowing the real life outcome, this show has such an interesting sense of tension.

6GJWk.gif

David Schwimmer is making me chuckle in this. He has got such a hangdog thing going on hahaha. Selma Blair as Kris Jenner, lol. Vance seems like pitch perfect casting as Johnnie Cochrane. Cuba Gooding Jr is really good as OJ but he comes off as such a liar, though I wonder if that's real life coloring his performance. Oh, and John Travolta is pretty good as a shark lawyer.

Given the reactions I just got after talking about her hair, I feel kinda bad but... yo it's not flattering at all!

I'm gonna be ashamed of saying this, I know. I'll balance it out by saying I have no idea what's going on with Travolta's whole face.

The Beard

Wait, are you mad because the hair makes Paulson look less attractive? Do you wish they would've let her play Marcia Clark without having Marcia Clark's hair?

Marcia Clark actually apologized to Paulson about the hairdo. Lol

Wait, are you mad because the hair makes Paulson look less attractive? Do you wish they would've let her play Marcia Clark without having Marcia Clark's hair?

Marcia Clark actually apologized to Paulson about the hairdo. Lol

I'm not mad. It's just a terrible hairdo. It was a terrible hairdo in 1994, it's a terrible hairdo now. It's part of the character/real person, I know! I'm just saying. I'm sorry!

Solo

Girlfriend and I binged this 2 weekends back. Phenomenal show, probably my favorite since True Detective S1.

Lol, Robert Kardashian's kids.

OJ's kind of just a completely narcissistic prick. And Shapiro is a piece of work. I'm watching the chase now in the second episode.

"Battered husband", Jesus

Schwimmer is pretty perfectly cast as a dude way over his head.

This show was amazing, top to bottom. I thought all these 90s stars would be a distraction but they killed it.

And Marcia Clarke had the illest jheri curl the legal profession has ever seen.

Oh my God, Kardashian announcing to his family that OJ offed himself is so awkward.

Episode 2 was really good. The chase was incredibly tense. AC was loud, lol. The scene at the end with a mentally exhausted OJ was really good. The commentary on race is interesting as well, like when Cochrane tells the story of his murdered client.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Still really satisfied with how this show turned out.

Intrigued to see how they handle Hurricane Katrina next season.

The Beard

Oh my God, Kardashian announcing to his family that OJ offed himself is so awkward.

Episode 2 was really good. The chase was incredibly tense. AC was loud, lol. The scene at the end with a mentally exhausted OJ was really good. The commentary on race is interesting as well, like when Cochrane tells the story of his murdered client.

Schwimmer is a shitty actor. Easily the weakest part of the show.

Top Bottom