• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

blackflag

I am sad to have learned that there is only one more episode remaining. I am loving this show. The last episode was incredible. Every episode was in the range from good to great. And the cast is just excellent.

Are there any good documentaries on the OJ Simpson case around? I really want to see and compare the show's version of events with the real case.

Many on YouTube and pretty much the whole trial, highlights, whatever you want to see

I am sad to have learned that there is only one more episode remaining. I am loving this show. The last episode was incredible. Every episode was in the range from good to great. And the cast is just excellent.

Are there any good documentaries on the OJ Simpson case around? I really want to see and compare the show's version of events with the real case.

There's a 30 for 30 about OJ Simpson coming out later this year that I have heard is excellent.

Sterling K Brown is absolutely killing it as Christopher Darden. He's my favorite on the show by far, and everyone is holding their own very well. Just not crazy about some scenes with Travolta's Shapiro.

Watching this series reminds me how much of a complete circus the whole thing was. Obviously they exaggerate stuff for effect and condense/reorder events, but all that stuff basically happened. Judge Ito just let the trial get completely out of control from the get go.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

ID has been playing this occasionally. There's a showing tonight.
http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/o-j-simpson-trial-the-real-story/

Dalek

Guys this show is fucking amazing. Astounding. Not just the acting, but the pacing, writing, etc. Every episode is just mind blowing. This entire event was a shit show at every turn and the show does an incredible job driving that home.

I'm blown away by that episode. Nerve wracking at every minute.

Toothless

Episode 9 was incredible. Easily the best of the show, and when everything is so good, that's saying a lot. I'm really gonna miss it after next week.

Is next week's episode the last one?

I haven't watched this show since I think the end of the second episode. I've been PVRing them, and liked what I saw a lot, but just haven't found the time to watch them.

The last thing I saw was his arrest.

Is next week's episode the last one?

I haven't watched this show since I think the end of the second episode. I've been PVRing them, and liked what I saw a lot, but just haven't found the time to watch them.

The last thing I saw was his arrest.

Next week is the end.

- IndieWire: Why ‘The People v. O.J. Simpson’ Finale Matters Even Though We Know the Verdict
- EW: Sarah Paulson on the scene that humiliated her during People v. O.J. Simpson
- LA Times: The essential 'The People v. O.J. Simpson' FAQ: Inside the L.A. Times Archive

- THR: John Travolta Wants to Be Cast in 'American Crime Story' Season 2
According to the series’ producing director, Anthony Hemingway, who helmed five episodes of O.J. v. The People, the writers room was recently assembled for the upcoming season. While he was mum on specifics, Hemingway — who was also a director and producer on HBO’s post-Katrina drama Treme — did offer a taste of what to expect in the second installment.

“Treme was a different part of the story in that it highlighted the people of that city coming home and trying to revive life, and I think American Crime Story will really focus on the beginning of that and the awful crime and tragedy that happened when it first started,” he said. “I think it will have as much of an impact and be as effective as O.J., but untraditionally. There are so many crimes that are committed that aren’t in the courtroom.”

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy

Eidan

I wonder what it was like to be "alive" for that verdict, since it was the early 90s I was only like 3/4 haha

watching those clips just now seem like a huge split , and was it really shown in times square, crazy
I was 2nd or 3rd grade. It was just everywhere. And adults wouldn't shut up about it. OJ, Jon Benet Ramsey, and Oklahoma City were the huge event crimes of my childhood.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Think the verdict was in Oct 94. I was 14, going on 15. Watched it in the cafeteria which was more or less full, where they brought in a few tv's.

Yeah, it literally was the same reaction, split along race lines.

Davilmar

That little scene between Chris and Johnnie was fantastic.

What stood out to me was the final scene when O.J. is finally alone, back on his throne, without a friend in the world.

jmizzal

Lol they gave OJ 33 years for that, people kill people and get less time, they def was sending a message

Great show

Lonestar

I'm always confused over the sentencing he got for the kidnapping/robbery.

The way the judge was talking, all the sentences were "concurrent" meaning that basically, whatever the longest term was given, would cover everything. I remember the longest charge getting him something like 15 years.

If he gets out in 2017, that's 9 years of a 33 year sentence. We'll really know that the justice system is "paying him back" if he ends up actually serving those 33 years.

Toothless

Fantastic finale. Great show. I can't even get into it, but this was really quite a masterful season of TV. Not a single bad episode.

Lonestar

It was well shot, well casted, and nicely paced, but it's not like they had to turn an average true story into something over the top. This shit actually happened. Tiny bits were exaggerated for effect, somethings actually lessened! It wrote itself.

Anytime I find cheaply made documentaries on the trial on the various lousy cable channels that exist, I still find myself watching it.

Fuuuuuuuck, saw this on Twitter:

Joe McGovern ‏@jmcgvrn 22m22 minutes ago
Mind blown that Susan Beaubian, the jury foreman on #ThePeopleVsOJSimpson, played O.J.'s wife in The Naked Gun.
CfVDGuQVIAI04jt.jpg

oooooooh shiiiiit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As a kid during the actual trial, I had no idea about the racial politics involved. I think they did an excellent job introducing the motivations behind Cochrane so that, even if you see him purposefully manipulating the juror through race, it makes perfect sense for him to do it because of all the racism he has experienced first hand.

I honestly don't know what to think right now, or if there is even a "good guy" in all of this.

Sober

Man the entire epilogue sequences after the trial, goddamn. Especially with OJ at the party and basically nobody or nobodies cheering him on.

And good on the show for ending with Simpson and Brown. Maybe it was just how the show portrayed the case or maybe even how the trial turned out but it never really felt like it was about them.

Also was that line that OJ said he was gonna pursue the real killer actually happened? I guess he never got around to that, did he?

DrEvil

not a medical professional

I was 9. I remember watching the verdict live at home on my school lunch break then running back across the field to school telling any teacher I knew about the verdict.
I was huge into that case even being that young. This show was great.

Filth

Man the entire epilogue sequences after the trial, goddamn. Especially with OJ at the party and basically nobody or nobodies cheering him on.

And good on the show for ending with Simpson and Brown. Maybe it was just how the show portrayed the case or maybe even how the trial turned out but it never really felt like it was about them.

Also was that line that OJ said he was gonna pursue the real killer actually happened? I guess he never got around to that, did he?

I do recall him saying that. They should have added about oj's book. " if I did it "

glow

Banned
Overall good show. The actors playing the prosecutors did an amazing job. Courtney Vance and Nathan Lane were great as well.

This show deserves more attention on GAF. I think it'd make for some interesting conversation in today's racial climate.

It was pretty crazy. I was in high school at the time and they showed the verdict live on tv's in the student center and caf. I remember it was packed in the student center and the guy standing next to me said before the verdict "Look out, cause if they say he's guilty I'm just gonna start swinging"

You'd be shocked at how many people thought he was innocent back then compared to today when everyone's like "No shit OJ did it".. That's not how it was in 1995 at all.

Top Bottom