• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Apparently Lisbon was a particularly strong candidate city, but internal quarring in the Portuguese camp moved it to Porto (which is nice, but kind of b-tier), killing the appeal.

For the record, I like Porto better than Lisbon.

Barcelona would probably have some the highest chances if it weren't for the nationalist kerfuffle. It certainly has the best building and is the most attractive destination by far. Milan is boring AF.

Hazzuh

Not sure if I should be posting this in Poligaf or here but Yougov have some interesting polling:

Brexit%20extremism%20Leave%20voters-01.png

DGI0zBdXcAAS9V2.jpg

Brexit%20extremism%20Remain%20voters%201-01.png

Brexit%20extremism%20Remain%20voters%202-01.png

Article here.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, I feel like the demographics alone could make it thread worthy.

Boomers are going to fuck shit up across Western Europe over the next decade.

CTLance

Which wretched existence would move to Frankfurt out of their own will?

Besides Bankers, I mean. Misery loves company, after all.

Brexit |OTn+1| Frankfurt hate thread
Go Athens go!
I sense an ever-so-slight bias in this post. ;-P

Nah but seriously, if Brexit means Greece gets a shot at rising from the ashes again, then that's something you Brits can be proud of. We Germans ran it into the ground after it faceplanted. Great Britain('s exit from the union) saves them. Would look good in the history books, is all I'm saying. Time to spin this right, Brits!

Nearly 40% of the people in that poll think it's worth losing their livelihood in order to leave the EU.

Fucking idiots, the lot of them. They'd rather starve in a ditch then risk having a Frenchman live on the same road.

barber

Apparently Lisbon was a particularly strong candidate city, but internal quarring in the Portuguese camp moved it to Porto (which is nice, but kind of b-tier), killing the appeal.

For the record, I like Porto better than Portugal.

Barcelona would probably have some the highest chances if it weren't for the nationalist kerfuffle. It certainly has the best building and is the most attractive destination by far. Milan is boring AF.
Yeah, Barcelona would have better chances if not for all the current mess between Catalonia and Spain.
Porto is best city in portugal, big but not too big and would be really surprising for it to have an institution like that as it is not that "big".

Edit:
Aren't you from Wales?

So what do you have to say about 52.5 percent of Wales?
There's nothing special to say about the result. Badmouthing leave areas is really silly. Leave was a mistake, but it doesn't solve anything. It's been more than a year.
On the bright side, at least the EU can't enforce bending over backward for the Russian regime anymore. Their dependence on Russian energy is deeply concerning.
Do you have the data for that? There are some regions in Europe i am surprise it is that developed

*Splinter

Nearly 40% of the people in that poll think it's worth losing their livelihood in order to leave the EU.

Fucking idiots, the lot of them. They'd rather starve in a ditch then risk having a Frenchman live on the same road.
And a further 20% are ok with jobs being lost as long as they and their immediate family aren't affected.

Walshicus

The thing is... they're saying that while it's an academic exercise. You give them a real choice, right here and now and the numbers would be VERY different.

Like the main reason why I don't really care when people bringing "but British people will suffer..." argument to the table here.

I don't get all the Frankfurt hate :/ It's a pretty nice city imo. Well, to be fair I kind of hate mega-cities, so being able to reach Frankfurt from other cities within 10 or 15 minutes is a huge plus to me compared to say London or Paris.

Edit: I always forget about my username when posting sth. positive about Frankfurt. Makes me less... credible I guess lol.

Burai

shitonmychest57

To be fair, most of the people who responded that way are either at or just coming up to retirement age so, yeah, of course they wouldn't care if they lost their jobs in 2019.

I presume the others are looking forward to the new jobs they'll fall straight into once we've left, the foreigners are gone and all the new opportunities they were promised by the Leave campaign appear.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but this sounds like doubling down on the concentration of wealth/power in one or two European countries, which seems to be the source of a lot of anti-EU sentiment.

Couldn't the loss of the UK be an opportunity (and motivator!) to better distribute the EU agencies?

That would be my take. Poland doesn't have a single EU agency - giving them banking would really be a statement of intent - however the current tense political situation means it's unlikely to win here. None of Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania and Slovakia have EU agencies either, that may put them in with a better shout of hosting the EMA.

kmag

Nah, the most vociferous support in those cases are with 65+ i.e the selfish pieces of shit who made theirs and are now retired.

As depressing as some of the results of that poll are, it’s yet another example of there being enough leave voters who do not think it will be worth it for the likely damage, which leave voters are only now having their eyes opened to, that there would almost certainly be sufficient public support for reversing Brexit. Whether it was done through another referendum on the deal or emboldening MPs to make that decision if it was done through parliament, the support is likely going to be there.

kmag

I don't get all the Frankfurt hate :/ It's a pretty nice city imo. Well, to be fair I kind of hate mega-cities, so being able to reach Frankfurt from other cities within 10 or 15 minutes is a huge plus to me compared to say London or Paris.

Edit: I always forget about my username when posting sth. positive about Frankfurt. Makes me less... credible I guess lol.

I actually like Frankfurt. It's a bit dull compared to say London, but it's a far nicer place to have a walk than London. And frankly if I'm away on business and I have time to myself my evenings will usually consist of getting something to eat and going for a wander before heading back to the hotel to work.

Chinner

Banned
Right wing extremism is a huge problem amongst the older generations. It's been fanned by out media for decades now, and alot of these people live in fear (and stupidity) of artifical moral panic.

TimmmV

I don't either, but am also biased as that's where my Mum is from

Finding Frankfurt boring is a fairly common opinion though :(

You guys all aghast at the leaver opinion poll, it appears to me as asking people about an impossibility.

It's like asking someone if they'd be willing to lose their job to win the lotto. Sure I'd lose my job, I'd be rich. They're leavers. They think leaving is going to improve the economy, bring more jobs, turn the clock back to the days of Empire when Britain could dictate terms and didn't need to acquiesce to the demands of foreigners.

Of course most will say they'd be willing to take the pain, they don't believe the pain is going to exist...

It's like someone giving you 100€ to let a black cat pass in front of you, you'll have 100€ and bad luck for x time. Yeah, sure. If they actually thought that Brexit will have a measurable negative effect on their life, that they will be worse off because of Brexit, the answers would be different.

Dougald

Even when my wife actually lost a position due to Brexit my Brexiteering in-laws wouldn't accept that was the reason. "They're just using it as an excuse, you'll see"

That cognitive dissonance is going to be hard, if not impossible to break.

Oriel

A status aparté (do I spell that correctly FrenchGaf?) for Northern Ireland, A bit like how some former colonial powers solved the issue with their colonies. Northern Ireland becomes it's own country with an open border to Ireland. Northern Irish citizens can pass the border to Britain with no check, but Irish citizens have to be checked.

That way Northern Ireland can stay in the UK, and Ireland in the EU. While NOrthern Ireland also benefits from an open Border with the EU.

That actually would be a good solution for this issue, I don't see the conservicheetos in Northern Ireland going for that though, they smell a return to old times, where they could beat up the Irish citizenry with little to no reason and a return to the Orange Marches everywhere. I doubt they'd be reasonable.

So NI would be its own country but still part of the UK?! Um, so the present situation then.

In any case that wouldn't work what you're proposing. What's to stop a person living in the Republc simply travelling to Belfast and then onto London to avoid security checks? You'd have an easy route into and out of the EU through Ireland. Remember NI residents all have an automatic right to British and Irish passports. There'd be no way to check Irish passport holders if they're from NI or the Republic.

If Britain wants a "hard Brexit" then it's either....

A hard border between Ireland and NI (NOT going to happen), or
Ireland leaving the EU and maintaining controls on movement with rest of Europe (also NOT going to happen)

It's all a fucking mess, there's no easy fix and the fault lies squarely with Brexiteer nutters. Fuck them and their demented agenda!

Dougald

It's all a fucking mess, there's no easy fix and the fault lies squarely with Brexiteer nutters. Fuck them and their demented agenda!

It wouldn't surprise me if they all think that the best solution would be for the Republic to rejoin the UK, because Britain is so great after all

Dehnus

So NI would be its own country but still part of the UK?! Um, so the present situation then.

In any case that wouldn't work what you're proposing. What's to stop a person living in the Republc simply travelling to Belfast and then onto London to avoid security checks? You'd have an easy route into and out of the EU through Ireland. Remember NI residents all have an automatic right to British and Irish passports. There'd be no way to check Irish passport holders if they're from NI or the Republic.

If Britain wants a "hard Brexit" then it's either....

A hard border between Ireland and NI (NOT going to happen), or
Ireland leaving the EU and maintaining controls on movement with rest of Europe (also NOT going to happen)

No it just means that the UK will check passports, if they are Northern Irish, they can just walk on, but Irish citizens would be eligible for more checks. I mean how else would you do it? Unless you wish for a return to the time of trouble?

The only sensible way is a seaborder like described. Sucks for the Northern Irish that they have to show their passports, but otherwise it's a border on land and a return to trouble. Something the current government of NI wouldn't mind, as they are conservative dickwad orangists that would love to start beating up Irish again.

I do agree however that, it's a fucking mess :(.

Oriel

It wouldn't surprise me if they all think that the best solution would be for the Republic to rejoin the UK, because Britain is so great after all

Some have indeed advocated such a "solution".

No it just means that the UK will check passports, if they are Northern Irish, they can just walk on, but Irish citizens would be eligible for more checks. I mean how else would you do it? Unless you wish for a return to the time of trouble?

The only sensible way is a seaborder like described. Sucks for the Northern Irish that they have to show their passports, but otherwise it's a border on land and a return to trouble. Something the current government of NI wouldn't mind, as they are conservative dickwad orangists that would love to start beating up Irish again.

I do agree however that, it's a fucking mess :(.

Again that simply wouldn't work. How do you determine who is "Northern Irish"? I have an Irish passport, so what would stop me from driving across the unmanned, unsecure border to Belfast and get on a plane to London? I could say I am an NI resident and border control would have no way of knowing any differently. Not that there would be border control checks on internal UK flights remember.

avaya

Those YouGuv polls do correlate well with the crazification factor hypothesis. 60% of the 52% are clearly racists, which translates to c.30% racist core. Same as the Trump base. Par for the course really, I don't know why people are surprised by those numbers. Somewhat relieved it isn't higher.

Dehnus

Some have indeed advocated such a "solution".

Again that simply wouldn't work. How do you determine who is "Northern Irish"? I have an Irish passport, so what would stop me from driving across the unmanned, unsecure border to Belfast and get on a plane to London? I could say I am an NI resident and border control would have no way of knowing any differently. Not that there would be border control checks on internal UK flights remember.

Well that is the risk they'll have to take. I mean, really borders are unsecure anyway. DO you really think Trump's wall wills top anybody? It's mostly for "peace of mind" for a certain type of person in Britain that they voted for this.

It mostly fucks over the law abiding, as anybody else will just get in if they want to. Heck Why do you think Ryanair will no longer fly for British people. They get a shit load of extra costs due to British idiots that voted for this shit. So either you do nothing (which I think is the best solution, as really if they want in they'll get in), or you'll start some half way measures.

If they start checking on land, they'll be far worse options than a few EU nationals getting into the UK. Think a return to the time of troubles, as those super conservative Orangists can't wait to return to a time of "Hunbeating!". :(. That's why I said, that is probably what the Northern Irish government will vote for, a land border, as they are currently in control of the NI government :(. And May seems to listen to them :(.

TimmmV

Guys you all clearly don't understand - borders are only there to stop foreigners. The queens subjects should just be waved through, and preferably thanked for killing the jerrys back in ww2

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'll laugh at you so hard once the UK crawls to Putin begging for a trade deal.

You really don't seem to get what's going on, do you.

ZK682Aq.gif

You have no idea what you're talking about. Most of continental Europe is reliant to a significant extent on Russian natural gas, but not the UK. Hence why the EU bends over backward for Russia.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/22/business/russian-gas-eu-sanctions/index.html

Russia has nothing else that makes it a trade priority for the UK. Russian imports are not a huge concern.

Kabouter

ZK682Aq.gif

You have no idea what you're talking about. Most of continental Europe is reliant to a significant extent on Russian natural gas, but not the UK. Hence why the EU bends over backward for Russia.

Russia has nothing else that makes it a trade priority for the UK. Russian imports are not a huge concern.

For once I most certainly agree. The EU's continued reliance on a hostile nation like the Russian Federation should be dealt with immediately, but self-defeating measures like Germany parting with nuclear energy show we're not even remotely willing to do what it takes. Just a complete strategic mistake to keep relying on Russian natural resources. Unless we shift away from natural gas (and oil) this is going to continue being a problem.

*Also the image you used says the UK will start importing gas from Russia in October 2014 :p

"How dare they check our glorious British passports at the airport?", screams the eternally hostile Daily Mail. "Don't they know who we are? They better not get in our way when we present our new (red, white &) blue Brexit passports in a couple of years, what?"

For once I most certainly agree. The EU's continued reliance on a hostile nation like the Russian Federation should be dealt with immediately, but self-defeating measures like Germany parting with nuclear energy show we're not even remotely willing to do what it takes. Just a complete strategic mistake to keep relying on Russian natural resources. Unless we shift away from natural gas (and oil) this is going to continue being a problem.

*Also the image you used says the UK will start importing gas from Russia in October 2014 :p

Europe isn't gonna stop trade with Russia ever. Not sure what kind of silly rhetoric that is.

slider

Nabucco is a great example of how Russia outmaneuvered the EU in energy security. Russia flexed its muscles and the EU dithered.

kmag

ZK682Aq.gif

More of the UK's gas comes from Europe (i.e including Russian supply), than Europe's gas comes from Russia. If Europe has a gas shortage so does the UK. So despite your nationalistic whitterings you're talking shite.

20161018_Centrica_UK_gas_infographic_v12%20(1).jpg

Russia is also the UK's 2nd biggest source of Petroleum products

pM9stVg.png

The Netherlands is listed here as an analogue for the EU pipeline.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the UK is still exposed to the effects of the sanctions. If the supply of European-wide oil reduces, then the price will go up - e.g., people will pay more for Dutch oil if there's less Russian oil. The UK might not use Russian oil, but it does use Dutch oil, so we'll still get hit by that effect. We're not exposed to the same degree as most other European countries, but we'd certainly take a plunge.

It's difficult to see what the solution is. The entire energy infrastructure of many Eastern European countries is still rooted in the Soviet era. There are small steps that can be taken here and there to reduce dependency - increasing energy efficiency, encouraging better home insulation, better unifying EU energy markets - but ultimately true independence from Russia on this won't be solved until renewables are in a position to take over from oil and gas, and that will require huge EU investment that I just don't think there's the political will for at the moment. If you try explaining to the average French or German citizen their taxes need to rise to pay for people in Poland to have electric heaters, I don't think you'll get a warm reception.

Kabouter

Europe isn't gonna stop trade with Russia ever. Not sure what kind of silly rhetoric that is.

There is a difference between being reliant on and trading with. Trading with Russia is good, being reliant on it for our energy needs is very much not. I don't see what's silly about that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There is a difference between being reliant on and trading with. Trading with Russia is good, being reliant on it for our energy needs is very much not. I don't see what's silly about that.

Agreed very strongly.

Dehnus

*Waves Norwegian Flag* Norway your friendly neighbour to the north.:). Come to us for Gas and Oil!

From Norway, with Love!

ittoryu

What experience do you and your wife have? What sort of positions would you be looking for?
We are working both in the games industry.
I got about 10 years experience in different roles (mostly QA, localisation, support, production, R&D, etc.), she is on the payment side of things.

Depends really in what kind of area you want to work.

For example in IT you find quite a lot of jobs which are also open to english speakers.

Also i wouldn't focus too much at Berlin. Also look at Hamburg(basically little britain with how shitty the weather often is), cologne or munich.
I've been looking at Berlin because it's the city I like the most in Germany (I've been to Hamburg years ago but it might have changed).

slider

^^I only really know Munich. Munich is glorious. If I spoke German/my career was easily transferable I'd move there in a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom