• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
orderly, but not in favor for the UK.
Merkel would have no problems to orderly dismantle the UK.

Of course Merkel doesn't want a deal that's favorable to the UK, she wants a deal that's favorable to the EU and the single market. But nevertheless she is not interested in dismantling the UK, unless that'd be the only option to protect the EU. Ultimately hurting the UK will also hurt the EU to a certain extent.

*Splinter

It's ridiculous to suggest that Merkel could "dismantle" the UK even if she wanted to.

We'll be a little bit poorer and a little more openly racist, we aren't going full Mad Max just yet.

kmag

France is floating a change in the EU fund market regulation which would fucking gut, and I mean gut, London.

In mid-July, Esma, the EU securities regulator, published an opinion paper, suggesting national regulators should take a tougher line on policing the asset management sector after Brexit.

In particular, it zeroed in on ”delegation" rules that allow a fund management company registered in one country to outsource its asset management to another place, either within the EU or outside it.

This sounds like pretty arcane stuff. But it is crucial architecture for the European and global asset management industry. Philip Warland, a former Fidelity executive who is now a consultant, reckons about 90 per cent of EU assets under management make use of delegation rules. Most European funds are registered in Dublin or Luxembourg, but the actual fund management takes place globally, with the largest chunk delegated to London.

Anecdotal evidence suggests France is very keen to win more of this business. And when Esma published its paper, the UK industry smelled a rat. Not only is the regulator Paris-based, but the ”convergence" agenda, under which the opinion paper was published, is the responsibility of Sophie Vuarlot-Dignac, a seasoned French regulator.

The wording in the delegation section of the document has alarmed some fund managers. ”Delegation to non-EU entities could make oversight and supervision of the delegated functions more difficult . . . National competent authorities should therefore give special consideration to such delegation arrangements and be satisfied that their implementation is justified based on objective reasons despite the additional risks which may arise from them."

In plain language, that could mean at the very least that more risk management functions need to be put on the ground where a fund is registered, or at most that no fund management functions can be delegated outside the EU.

Taken to its logical extreme, this would not only be very disruptive for the asset management industry and the current hubs in the UK, the US and Asia where most of the best fund managers are based, but there would in likelihood be a second-order magnetic effect on the investment banks, whose traders and salespeople would need to follow their fund manager clients to parts of mainland Europe. If that happened, those apparently doom-mongering post-Brexit job-move predictions might start to look conservative.

According to Efama, the European fund management association, total assets under management in Europe last year were €22.8tn, equivalent to almost a third of the global total. More than 4,000 asset management groups are registered in Europe directly employing 100,000 people, nearly 40 per cent of them in the UK. Across the EU, close to half a million people are in jobs that service the asset management industry.

UK government in twisting words to make EU look bad shocker.

What's it got to do with the UK Government? Here's this actual quote:

"There are extremely serious consequences of leaving the single market and it hasn't been explained to the British people. We intend to teach people… what leaving the single market means."

He might not have meant to say he wants to teach lessons, but it's hard to see how you can interpret it any other way.

oti

Banned
What's it got to do with the UK Government? Here's this actual quote:

"There are extremely serious consequences of leaving the single market and it hasn't been explained to the British people. We intend to teach people… what leaving the single market means."

He might not have meant to say he wants to teach lessons, but it's hard to see how you can interpret it any other way.

I'm not sure what he's trying to say to begin with. It's not up to him to make such statements and only helps the radical Leavers. Do your job. Get the best deal possible for the EU. The UK will realise its mistake soon enough and they don't need you to play the teacher.

jelly

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'm not sure what he's trying to say to begin with. It's not up to him to make such statements and only helps the radical Leavers. Do your job. Get the best deal possible for the EU. The UK will realise its mistake soon enough and they don't need you to play the teacher.

I think it's just unfortunate translation coming across as passive aggressive.

The British side are entering negotiations on the assumption that they'll be able to keep all the benefits of membership whilst cherry picking which obligations they'll adhere to.

The EU are going to demonstrate that that absolutely isn't the case.

If the UK wants to do what it's saying it wants to do; leave the EU, leave the single market, it gets third party status. The EU have been very, very clear on that from the start.

CTLance

I know I'm late, but (hard as it is) Oettinger is best ignored. He may be one of Europe's worst politicians along Juncker. Just be glad they are not in charge of this mess.
Iunno, mang. If he could, then Juncker would have sex with the incorporeal concept of Europe. He's a hardcore europhile, through and through, on a level that is almost worrying - but at least he is a known factor.

Öttinger however would rather boink a sack filled with cash moneys, regardless of which lobbyist supplies it. Political agenda aside: He is one of the most lobby-friendly EU commissioners I am aware of. He occasionally does some good by accident, but you can never really be sure whether that was intentional. It's an open secret that Merkel kicked him to the EU so he would stop fucking up German politics.

Between the two, I'd much rather have Juncker, and by a large margin. Brexit would be a breeze under Juncker. UK would burn and EU would suck out every last penny from its charred corpse. He'd probably make it a point to trample on British politicians for good measure, but the entire process would be swift and relatively painless - and most importantly without lasting damages afterwards. There might even be some snuggling or investment funds after the rough one sided ravaging. Especially if it makes the EU look good.

Under Öttinger the Brits would be forced into eternal slavery, sold piecemeal to corporations over several decades until nothing but humiliation remained. Yeah, I know I'm being too harsh on him, but dammit, if that guy told me the sky was blue, I'd first consider which industry would benefit from that statement the most before double-checking the colour myself for good measure.

jelly

May's either gone, or is stalling for time.

This pushes the next round to after (or during) the Tory conference, so it's possible this move is simply to delay the agreement of us shelling out €75bn until after a crowd of angry Tories can physically shank her.

So, still about the Tory party as it always was. Yeesh.

Just come to your senses and call it off. The only sane result is remaining in all but name and how pointless would that be in the end or the worst thing ever which is too crazy to think about, nobody is that stupid.....hold my beer.

Xando

I think his point is that the German public opinion won't matter so much to Merkel after she's re-elected.
I doubt she’s gonna ignore this

DIoT_jXW4AEs23C.jpg

„Should the EU make concessions to the UK“

theaface

Is "nein" yes or no?

Nein as in nine. Nine concessions to the UK:

1. No divorce bill
2. Cake
3. Right to eat cake
4. Cheap prices for German cars
5. Single market access
6. No freedom of movement, or immigrants generally
7. British expats given freedom of any city they choose
8. Remoaners to be rounded up and crushed by EU Superstate Army
9. Diplomatic immunity for any MPs caught trespassing in wheat fields

jelly

DIoT_jXW4AEs23C.jpg

For the 27 remaining countries Brexit negotiations are only an issue for the UK. EU has their position and now they wait. It's so embarrassing how screwed one side is. EU will just pick up the juicy cherries to put on their cake if the UK are mental.

Theonik

Nein as in nine. Nine concessions to the UK:

1. No divorce bill
2. Cake
3. Right to eat cake
4. Cheap prices for German cars
5. Single market access
6. No freedom of movement, or immigrants generally
7. British expats given freedom of any city they choose
8. Remoaners to be rounded up and crushed by EU Superstate Army
9. Diplomatic immunity for any MPs caught trespassing in wheat fields
It's ⑨.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

theaface

Incidentally I am cracking on with OT3 and it should be up tomorrow. It's taking me bloody ages, so you lot better not remoan about it.

Look upon it with more positivity and enthusiasm, otherwise you won't make a success out of your thread. Also I am perplexed as to why Juncker is some kind of hate figure in the right wing press. Can't say I care about this guy at all.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

DIoT_jXW4AEs23C.jpg

I love Germans.

Weiß nicht means "white night" right? So I have no idea what the other answers mean.
I legit thought you were serious. Shows the state of things. We don't even know what's real anymore!

Lmao. I'm dying here.
Please put Crabs post in the OT3 OP.

Look upon it with more positivity and enthusiasm, otherwise you won't make a success out of your thread. Also I am perplexed as to why Juncker is some kind of hate figure in the right wing press. Can't say I care about this guy at all.
Because he doesn't roll over unlike everyone on the British left. Also, he scares the shit out of them.

The Brexiteers came up with a term for themselves. "Brexit". Now it's time for us to use our own term "Brexodus"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom