• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Sky News: UK Brexit officials have described their EU counterparts as "incapable of being able to carry out the Brexit negotiations".

:/

How could this nation even function without the EU doing the work for them? What an utterly embarrassing display of sheer incompetence.

Xando

Yup. Blame the voters for not giving them the strong majority they need, blame Labour for being saboteurs and not following the will of the people, blame the EU for not negotiating with imagination and flexibility, and blame the EU nations for not wanting to bypass the EU.

As long as the Sun doesn't blame May, then success will have been achieved.
I do wonder what‘ll happen if one side inevitably walks away(Presumably the tories) from negotiations. Will they take the embarrassment of going back to the EU and ask to restart negotiations or will they just jump off the hard Brexit cliff in the name of sovereignty?

I‘ve read quite a few articles on brexit in the german press this past week and almost all of them had unnamed EU sources which expect negotiations to blow up in the winter due to the exit bill and ECJ.

Kyougar

How could this nation even function without the EU doing the work for them? What an utterly embarrassing display of sheer incompetence.

"The EU made us incompetent! Take back our competence!"

They are just maneuvering themselves into a position to throw blame at the EU for a disastrous Brexit. Because they have no idea how they can make Brexit work.

oti

Banned
"The EU made us incompetent! Take back our competence!"

They are just maneuvering themselves into a position to throw blame at the EU for a disastrous Brexit. Because they have no idea how they can make Brexit work.

And? To what end? What's the end game here?

Uzzy

I do wonder what‘ll happen if one side inevitably walks away(Presumably the tories) from negotiations. Will they take the embarrassment of going back to the EU and ask to restart negotiations or will they just jump off the hard Brexit cliff in the name of sovereignty?

I‘ve read quite a few articles on brexit in the german press this past week and almost all of them had unnamed EU sources which expect negotiations to blow up in the winter due to the exit bill and ECJ.

The Tories would just push for a hard Brexit. Even if May was replaced, there's no way a new leader would find enough support in the Tory party for a resumption of negotiations. A fresh election might change things though.

And? To what end? What's the end game here?

Retain Power. That's the Tories entire thing, and they are exceptionally good at it. If they're able to deliver on the will of the peopleTM while blaming those nasty European politicians for any downsides, then they'll take that.

Retain Power. That's the Tories entire thing, and they are exceptionally good at it. If they're able to deliver on the will of the peopleTM while blaming those nasty European politicians for any downsides, then they'll take that.

Probably also blame Labour for leaving them without enough seats to act in a strong and stable manner.

theaface

Sky News: UK Brexit officials have described their EU counterparts as "incapable of being able to carry out the Brexit negotiations".

So basically...
pJ8jK.gif

jelly

Are we at everything bad that will happen is the EU's fault now.

We are either going to walk off the cliff or have a nice EU arm around our shoulder, it's okay you don't have to, just say.

From the twitter comments:

"No mate they are free to treat us as they like but no deal with the EU would harm both EU and UK only UK will have other trading options..."

lol wut

oti

Banned

"No mate they are free to treat us as they like but no deal with the EU would harm both EU and UK only UK will have other trading options..."

lol wut

Haven't you heard? Every single nation on the planet would kill in order to get a trade deal with Great Britain. Everyone. They're all going to forget how maths work and go to the UK first for a trade deal. Because that makes sense.

Gotta love those tax havens.

lol wut

There's a nugget of truth to that in that the UK has a huge trade deficit (behind only the US), and since the recession, countries have really struggled to find places to sell to. So the UK, with its insatiable appetite for imports, is a really good trade partner for a lot of countries right now.

Of course, whether the UK can sustain such a deficit post-Brexit and whether demand will remain globally low are up in the air. While the latter will likely remain true for the foreseeable future, the former is quite unlikely. Indeed, the one issue that unites all parties across the political spectrum is that the UK needs to reduce its reliance on imports and boost its exports. So even if it doesn't happen organically, political will will make it so.

OTOH

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41106507

Europe's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier says there has been "no decisive progress" on key issues in talks with the UK.
He said negotiations are still "quite far" away from being in a position to begin talks on future trade arrangements.
He also said there were issues of "trust" between the two sides.
But UK Brexit Secretary David Davis urged the EU to be "more imaginative and flexible" in its approach.

Oh fuck off. Being imaginative and flexible is what got you into the EU in the first place. The UK can pull their head out of their arse

Burai

shitonmychest57
Concrete progress: After tough negotiations we have decided that orange jam will be the official jam of the Brexit negotiations.

Come March 2019...

"And with that we bid the UK farewell from the EU..."

"Not so fast Barnier. You know when we agreed to make orange jam the official jam? You can't have orange jam. It's marmalade. Take that Brussels, you massive fucks! We won Brexit after all! HAHAHAHA!" *Davis vaults through a closed window*.

theaface

That picture I posted above of Davis's and Barnier's differing perspectives came from Open Britain's Facebook page. One of the comments in reply?

EUs brexit bill got ripped apart yesterday.Can tell by Barniers body language that the EU is losing this battle!

So, yup, there you go.

CTLance

How do you guys stay sane. Honestly. I'm simply awed by the steadfast resolve of the British populace to let this run its course, unblinking. Any lesser country would tear itself apart.

theaface

How do you guys stay sane. Honestly. I'm simply awed by the steadfast resolve of the British populace to let this run its course, unblinking. Any lesser country would tear itself apart.

A hefty dose of gallows humour / schadenfreude depending on our perspective.

I've been furious about Brexit for well over a year now. It's repugnant in so many ways and for so many reasons. But... there is a small part of me that is utterly fascinated by the grim spectacle of it all. Like a car crash in slow motion that you simply can't look away from. It's intriguing to think "surely it can't get worse / more laughable that this..." only to be proven wrong the day after, time and time again.

Number45

There's little we can do at this point, sadly. We voted for it, and because of that both parties with any actual chance of power (or numbers for influence) are backing it there's little chance of it not happening.

There seems to be more determined lobbying for a less damaging withdrawal now, which is about the best that we can hope for (and even that's unlikely).

frontieruk

A hefty dose of gallows humour / schadenfreude depending on our perspective.

I've been furious about Brexit for well over a year now. It's repugnant in so many ways and for so many reasons. But... there is a small part of me that is utterly fascinated by the grim spectacle of it all. Like a car crash in slow motion that you simply can't look away from. It's intriguing to think "surely it can't get worse / more laughable that this..." only to be proven wrong the day after, time and time again.

I'm the same, its the delusion of the Brexiters that keeps me from going mad, and the slight belief at some point they'll realise that the falling pound and rising costs is because of their votes, though something tells me it'll be someone else's fault as no one ones their mistakes now.

jelly

The NHS in England is to pay recruitment agencies £100m as part of a huge international drive to boost the number of GPs.
Contracts have been put out to tender that could see half of the extra 5,000 GPs promised by 2020 brought in from abroad.
It comes as the NHS continues to struggle to train and retain its home-grown GPs.
Support staff, including nurses and therapists, will also be targeted.
NHS bosses said the move was needed to relieve the pressure on the service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41111553

Good luck and shame, it probably works for the Tories who want it to crumble. They make working conditions worse so people just leave. No value in staff.

CTLance

One hundred million Great British Pounds for finding five thousand people. Oof.
Those head hunters sure make a nice living, eh. 20+k£ per doc.

Costs include flying to some impoverished country like, dunno, Greece, and emptying entire hospitals with promises of a better life during a business event with an all you can eat buffet. Still a nice profit.

Better make it quick before the Pound loses even more value. Maybe add some drugs to the buffet to expedite recruiting.

BRB looking for conscience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's almost one third of the great savings the bus told me the UK would get the second they stopped the gravy train of pounds flowing to keep Brussels bureaucrats fat at the expense of poor starving British pillow manufacturers. That only leaves like 200 million quid to improve the NHS. I'm starting to worry this might not be all sunshine and roses!

Uzzy

UK 'must not allow itself to blackmailed'

Disgraced former defence secretary, Liam Fox, has ratcheted up the government’s war of words with the EU over Brexit by saying Britain will not be “blackmailed” into paying an excessive exit settlement to speed up a deal.

“We can’t be blackmailed into paying a price on the first part,” Fox said.

He continued: “We think we should begin discussions on the final settlement because that’s good for business, and it’s good for the prosperity both of the British people and of the rest of the people of the European Union.”

Speaking later to Sky News, Fox said he was concerned the Brexit talks were “stuck” on the initial issues.

“I think there is frustration that we have not been able to get on that longer-term issue, that we’re stuck on this separation issue, and we’re not able to get on to the issues that will matter in the longer term for the future prosperity of the UK and the people of Europe.

TimmmV

Has anyone heard anything from the pro leave posters recently? Seems like they've all been pretty quiet recently

I would genuinely be interested to see what they think about how things are going at the moment, but this and the UK politics thread seem to have dropped off a bit since the election

jelly

That's rich. I see blame the EU is gathering pace. It's obvious that the UK wants what it has now with little to no obligations on anything. Really is the cake thing. The EU must be thinking what the hell is the point of all of this while David Davis stares at them looking to see if they blink. If the objective is to run the clock down and Brexit never happens great but they just seem like die hard morons.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone heard anything from the pro leave posters recently? Seems like they've all been pretty quiet recently

I would genuinely be interested to see what they think about how things are going at the moment, but this and the UK politics thread seem to have dropped off a bit since the election

They get dogpiled every time they post, so it does tend to deter contribution. There needs to be some sort of gentleman's rule that for any given opinion, only one-two people of the opposite opinion can be in conversation with them at a time.

Maledict

To be fair, the brexiters I know in real life are no longer talking about it. Not because they've changed their mind, or dog piling (I'm usually the one dogpiled with my family!).

But because its so clearly being completely and utterly fucked up by the current government, which they have lost every and all confidence in, that Brexit isn't as big a thing anymore. They know it will go badly and they blame a terrible leader and government, and that's where the conversation now goes.

theaface

They get dogpiled every time they post, so it does tend to deter contribution. There needs to be some sort of gentleman's rule that for any given opinion, only one-two people of the opposite opinion can be in conversation with them at a time.

I'm not surprised they've gone quiet. What is there to be said? That the UK government has a secret ace in the hole and is playing 5D chess, just wait and see? We would've had the most glorious and prosperous Brexit if it weren't for the villainous EU being mean to us?

The who-to-blame-but-ourselves game for the state of the country has gotten stale. I can understand why the backlash might be perceived as dogpiling, but we're a long way down the road on the Brexit journey now and people can be given for having a low patience threshold for Brexiteers' fantasy delusions, persecution complex and unsubstantiated claims. God knows we get enough of that from our own government.

The right-winger columnists argument of choice this week seems to be we should call their bluff by starting planning for no deal and WTO rules.

ugh

oti

Banned
The right-winger columnists argument of choice this week seems to be we should call their bluff by starting planning for no deal and WTO rules.

ugh

Seeing how the British Govermnent is too incpompetent to properly prepare their stance for the Brexit negotiations, I'm sure that the planning of an utter disaster will totally work.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, the brexiters I know in real life are no longer talking about it. Not because they've changed their mind, or dog piling (I'm usually the one dogpiled with my family!).

But because its so clearly being completely and utterly fucked up by the current government, which they have lost every and all confidence in, that Brexit isn't as big a thing anymore. They know it will go badly and they blame a terrible leader and government, and that's where the conversation now goes.

Yes, this I've also observed. The position seems to be 'look, Brexit was the right idea, but we're not doing it well, because Davis is incompetent/Remoaners are talking this country down/the EU can't let us win'.

cabot

It was all about the magical act of Brexit, none of the useless small print like a government being competent enough to deliver it.

Uzzy

I just remembered something that disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox said last year. Seems relevant given what he's said today.

The uncertain status of EU nationals living in the UK is “one of our main cards” in the Brexit negotiations with the bloc, Liam Fox has said.

Speaking at the Conservative party conference in Birmingham, the international trade secretary reiterated that no commitment would be given on the rights of 2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK until reciprocal rights were agreed for British citizens in Europe.

Fox, who was speaking at a fringe event, said the government would “like to be able to give a reassurance to EU nationals in the UK, but that depends on reciprocation by other countries”.

He said any other strategy “would be to hand over one of our main cards in the negotiations and doesn’t necessarily make sense at this point”.

What a cunt.

I'd have thought my thoughts were obvious by now. It's been quite incredible how badly the UK Government has fucked up nearly every single aspect of the leaving process since the referendum last year, from Cameron not putting together any plans on how to proceed, to May appointing cretins like Davis, Johnson and Fox to push through the negotiations (Davis this time last year was saying we'd be half way through fairly easy global trade talks by now). Then May triggered article 50 before we had anything resembling a plan, and managed to delay the start of negotiations with a needless general election which only resulted in her being held hostage by the swivel eyed loons of Redwood and Mogg.

Nothing about the current EU position was a surprise. It was known before we even triggered negotiations. But now we're suddenly shocked and disappointed that the EU aren't shifting from the timetable that we agreed to. It's madness.

The Tories generally have bad policy, but at least they have a veneer of competence to them (usually aided by our excellent civil service, who if left alone with the task and given flexibility could probably pull us out of this mess). Now though, they're trying to push through bad policy incompetently, then whining when they run up against any opposition. They probably picture themselves as Tywin, but even Joffrey would look favourable compared to this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom