• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't sound like a transition period Staying in the customs union means no trade deals so whenever we do exit the single market and customs union, it's the same cliff edge.

Would be better to move to a Norway solution, make the trade deals then leave if we are to leave.

I doubt much more meaningful preparation can be done in what Labour is proposing.

Beefy

I am starting to get a feeling it won't happen or it will happen in a very weak way. May will end up walking and taking all the blame and disappear.

Blue Lou

It's definitely happening.

Once triggered, can Article 50 be revoked?
It was the decision of the United Kingdom to trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed. Article 50 does not provide for the unilateral withdrawal of the notification.

It just depends on for how long..

Can a Member State apply to re-join after it leaves?
Any country that has withdrawn from the EU may apply to re-join. It would be required to go through the accession procedure.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-2001_en.htm

sammex

UK hopes dashed for swift Japan trade talks

Theresa May is set for disappointment on her visit to Tokyo this week after Japanese officials signalled they would not rush into free trade talks with Britain.

The British prime minister, who is hungry for new trade agreements to show the benefits of Brexit, is expected to discuss a UK-Japan version of the deal Tokyo agreed in principle with the EU last month when she meets her Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe.

But Japanese officials say their priority is completing the deal with Brussels, while negotiations with Britain will be difficult until there is clarity about its future relationship with the EU.

“I don’t think there will be substantial progress,” said one Japanese trade official. “We haven’t finished [free trade] negotiations with the EU, just agreed at the political level, and many issues still remain.”

The official said the UK side was being “quite aggressive” in pushing for a commitment on a future trade deal with the world’s fourth-largest economy. Mrs May will argue that such an arrangement would be mutually beneficial.

“We were big supporters of the EU/Japan trade deal and were engaged in negotiating it,” said one of Mrs May’s allies. “It would make sense for that deal to be replicated for us.”

However, Yoshiji Nogami, president of the Japan Institute of International Affairs, and a former ambassador to the UK, said: “We can’t negotiate until Britain is out of the EU. I think what Mr Abe wants to hear from the prime minister is where she hopes to land on Brexit.”

For more doubts follow the link

oti

Banned
“We were big supporters of the EU/Japan trade deal and were engaged in negotiating it,” said one of Mrs May’s allies. “It would make sense for that deal to be replicated for us.”

What.

What.

WHAT.

However, Yoshiji Nogami, president of the Japan Institute of International Affairs, and a former ambassador to the UK, said: “We can’t negotiate until Britain is out of the EU. I think what Mr Abe wants to hear from the prime minister is where she hopes to land on Brexit.”

Looks like Mr. Abe doesn't even understand what a red, white and blue Brexit means. Sad.

Kyougar

Why doesn't anyone understands the x-dimensional chess that the UK is playing? Even if they don't understand it, they should just agree to everything the UK wants. It's that simple really.

To be honest at this stage I don't think chess is the proper metaphor.

It's fucking Uni applications.

To elaborate, the Tories are like students trying to apply to somewhere like Oxford at the very start of their A-levels. They're insisting they'll be getting all A*s when they haven't sat a single test mock or otherwise, and have done next to no revision on their subjects whatsoever.

*Splinter

To be honest at this stage I don't think chess is the proper metaphor.

It's fucking Uni applications.

To elaborate, the Tories are like students trying to apply to somewhere like Oxford at the very start of their A-levels. They're insisting they'll be getting all A*s when they haven't sat a single test mock or otherwise, and have done next to no revision on their subjects whatsoever.
Yeah but we had, like, the best Key Stage 1 SATs.

Uzzy

Juncker's saying the papers aren't satisfactory, both David Davis and the PM are calling for 'flexibility and imagination' in discussing both the trade deal and the exit deal at the same time, while the EU are sticking to their original (and agreed upon!) timetable and Barnier's wanting the Brits to take the negotiations seriously.

Feels like things are coming to a head. Wonder what'll happen at the end of this round of talks.

Well i'm typing this while enjoying a beer in a small village on a Greek island. The pound is worth fuck all and the greek goverment seem to have decided to clear the national debt by taxing alcohol to the point where im considering arranging a hefty Wonga loan just to order another round of drinks.
The thing that struck me as strange though,is upon landing at the airport we entered passport control to find huge queues at the EU nationals entry points. However they had two lanes open for British passport and diplomatic passport holders only and we bypassed the crowds to be greeted by a smiling official who waved us through.
Im not sure if it was just to troll the waiting Germans but it was greatly appreciated.

Remember when Juncker and Barnier repeated that, no, talks on a future free trade agreement won't happen before the most pressing issues were sorted (NI border, Brexit bill, rights of EU migrants living in the UK) ?

No 10 insists early talks on post-Brexit trade deal are possible
”We believe the EU needs to show more imagination and flexibility when it comes to these discussions."
tumblr_mi5wltLLQP1rt8levo1_400.gif

oti

Banned
Remember when Juncker and Barnier repeated that, no, talks on a future free trade agreement won't happen before the most pressing issues were sorted (NI border, Brexit bill, rights of EU migrants living in the UK) ?

No 10 insists early talks on post-Brexit trade deal are possible

tumblr_mi5wltLLQP1rt8levo1_400.gif

Asked about Juncker’s remarks on Tuesday, the prime minister’s deputy official spokeswoman said: “Our desire is to discuss both at the same time: we’ve repeatedly said that, and that’s what we’re working towards.”

This is so embarrassing.

Blue Lou

The Sun are complaining that European politiicans are using Twitter. It says that it's claimed "EU plotters are using social media in a bid to undermine Britain's Brexit deal" but never says who claims this.

EU plotters are using social media in a bid to undermine Britain's Brexit deal, it is claimed.

Brussels' team of top diplomats has proved adept at using social media to deal blows to the UK's Brexit negotiations in the past six months.

Streetwise political brawlers like Michel Barnier, Sabine Weyand, Donald Tusk and Guy Verhofstadt have proved dab hands at outmanoeuvring their British counterparts.

Belgian Verhofstadt, the EU's chief negotiator, has been a constant thorn in the side of Brexit Secretary David Davis.

Taking the pitbull role, the 64-year-old has dealt several hefty blows to UK hopes of a good deal.

In May, he tweeted: "Any #Brexit deal requires a strong & stable understanding of the complex issues involved. The clock is ticking - it's time to get real."

Earlier this month he dismissed Brit plans for the Irish border with Northern Ireland as "fantasy".

Other EU heavyweights have used subtle digs to publicly criticise Brit negotiation tactics.

Only last week French negotiator Michel Barnier the EU's "clear and transparent" position "since day one".

His outburst left no doubt that he believed Davis and his team had acted in the opposite manner.

In June he told Britain it needed "more ambition, clarity and guarantees" when outlining its position.

President of the EU Council Donald Tusk meanwhile left no doubt in March that Brexit was bad for Britain.

He tweeted: "It's about damage control."

Deputy chief negotiator Sabine Weyand has also used the Twittersphere to deal blows to the British negotiations.

Only today the German retweeted an article maintaining that the EU will not discuss trade terms with the UK until Britain's divorce settlement had been agreed.

Tory Davis, by contrast, has taken a conciliatory tone when he does rarely tweet.

The last of those messages was sent out some five months ago.

But Britan's Brexit supremo consistently made overtures for closer ties with European states.

In February alone David sent out Twitter pleas to leaders from Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Estonia and Sweden.

Xando

Only today the German retweeted an article maintaining that the EU will not discuss trade terms with the UK until Britain's divorce settlement had been agreed.
How is this a blow to negotiations when this has been the position for over a year now?

Are these people stupid?

TimmmV

Are these people stupid?

Yes

This is only really tangentially related to Brexit I guess, but it kind of shows how badly run/ruthless the Home Office is. Unless there are big changes, the lives of a lot of the EU residents in the UK are going to be significantly more difficult

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...erm=241532&subid=15552336&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I know the whole point of the home office is to deal with stuff like this, but all the stories coming out since the referendum have made it almost seem like the people there are being deliberately heavy handed. The communication with the applicant doesn't need to be so brutal so quickly - especially when the Home Office appears to make so many mistakes!

jelly

I'm already annoyed with May BS again. Talking up Japan relations, trade with shit talk like SoftBank and Nissan not long ago, you mean SoftBank buying ARM on the cheap because the pound cratered after Brexit, selling off a UK company and the car manufacturer, there is a deal but won't tell you what the deal is to keep Nissan there but it's totally not a bribe.Then you have Japanese investors saying Japan considers the UK as important over the last 30 years because it's in the EU. Whoops.

chadskin

From the Daily Mail:
Theresa May is planning to turn to Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron to resolve the Brexit divorce bill dispute.

Amid increasing anger over the EU's handling of negotiations, the Prime Minister believes she can broker a deal over the payment by going directly to the bloc's leaders.

Funny-Laughing-Gif-Picture.gif

mclem

William Hague, per the BBC:

"I don't think calling the election was a mistake," he said. "I think the result was a mistake. Collectively, by the people of this country.

"They (the EU) know that the result of the British election weakened the British government's negotiating position. It absolutely did.

"So Britain will get a worse deal as a result of the election. I think there is no question about that. And of course we can't blame the voters for how they vote. The voters have voted to leave the the EU, and then not to have a government in a strong position to negotiate the exit. What could be the result of that?

"It will be a Brexit deal that is softer than it might have been... We'll end up having to pay more. We'll pay a bigger price for leaving, I think, because of the uncertainties of the election result."

I'm trying to figure out if Hague's having a tantrum or - in a roundabout way - asserting that this is a clear sign that Britain wants a softer Brexit.

Dougald

Sounds like the Conservatives are trying to set up the narrative that Brexit is a shitshow because people voted Labour. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering Labour aren't in government but I'm sure plenty of people will eat it up

Xando

Sky News: UK Brexit officials have described their EU counterparts as "incapable of being able to carry out the Brexit negotiations".

:/
Gotta position yourself for the tory conference in october. They gonna get the second phase delayed to look strong for their peers.
There has been a shift in messaging in the past week and it seems tories are heading back into the no deal direction.

Uzzy

Gotta position yourself for the tory conference in october. They gonna get the second phase delayed to look strong for their peers.
There has been a shift in messaging in the past week and it seems tories are heading back into the no deal direction.

Yup. Blame the voters for not giving them the strong majority they need, blame Labour for being saboteurs and not following the will of the people, blame the EU for not negotiating with imagination and flexibility, and blame the EU nations for not wanting to bypass the EU.

As long as the Sun doesn't blame May, then success will have been achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom